Author Topic: Chess World Championship  (Read 56687 times)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Chess World Championship
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2018, 06:44:54 pm »
To be honest I would like to sign up with them just to support them because they're giving me these shows and to get a signed mug. However, 99 Euros for a year is just a bit too much for that. I'd never get my money's worth out of it with my limited interest in playing chess or getting better at it...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2018, 07:04:40 pm »
I looked into it too, but also couldn't justify it. If it was £100 lifetime membership or something I might consider it, but the chance to destroy Jan in a 5 minute blitz game is still hugely tempting nonetheless ;D

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2018, 07:08:39 pm »
Well ten years ago or so he played in the Austrian Bundesliga for a club that's in the town close to mine. If I had been better I could have played him back then. ;)
As it was though I was probably playing in a league that was three or four levels lower than him...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2018, 07:25:55 pm »
Did you play for a club then? It's something I've never even attempted to do - was quite happy being that bad loser on Yahoo chess, but I wish I had. To be in close proximity to playing grandmasters tho is quite something tho. Was he a well known GM back then?

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2018, 07:42:08 pm »
I joined my hometown club when I was about 10 or 11. Played a lot at youth level and did okay. Was never one of the best in my age group, but also not the worst. Back then everything was much more focused on team championships and there weren't many singles tournaments. Nowadays they have a separate championship for youth players with a couple of tournaments every season.

My hometown club was one of the smaller ones and we didn't really have a lot of members. Probably 20 or so at most. Most people were more interested in having a good time instead of really becoming great chess players. Gustafsson was playing for one of the bigger clubs (SK Hohenems)  in my federal state which had more players and was playing in the Bundesliga (and still is). He was a GM back then but I'm not sure how well known he was as I never really cared much about that. That simply wasn't my world. I was playing in the lower leagues and there were no GMs IMs or whatever there... ;)
I did play a lot until I was 18, but then went away to study, so I just couldn't play every week. I just played the odd game when they needed players for the league games. I'm back home now, but haven't gotten back to playing.  I still only play when they need players for the team. Don't even play the internal club championship.

Didn't really hear about Gustafsson when he was playing here, but he seems to have enjoyed the time when he was playing in Austria. He talked about it a bit in one of the streams a couple of days ago.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2018, 08:09:20 pm »
Sounds a good way to spend parts of your youth to me that. I picked it up after I left school so missed out on playing it properly, and therefore missed out on learning anything valuable. I am completely self taught and it really fucking shows at times, but amongst my friends who played it back then, I was the best player - I reckon even they would admit that. I'd constantly badger them for a game, but it got to the stage where they'd only play me if I was stoned.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2018, 09:27:21 pm »
It wasn't the worst way, but it certainly wasn't the best. Too few girls playing chess back then... ;)
Every once in a while I think about playing more again, but I just can't get myself to do it, because it's not as fun anymore than it was when I was younger. I think I've missed too much since not playing regularly...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2018, 10:24:02 pm »
Too many geeks aswell. That partly put me off playing it when I was younger I think. But I regret getting into the game so late as it's fascinating. I play against my chess app regularly, and play on chesshotel a bit (free). I'm a non paying member of chess24 and played a few games on there, but didn't like the interface - tho did like the fact you gained and kept a ranking with it. Everyone starts with a rating of 1500 and I'm 1499 after about 8 games, which I could have probably predicted ;D Never liked the interface on Yahoo either, so never went on there. My board of choice was on chessclub.com years ago. 10 minutes to make all your moves. Killed me when they stopped it. I was painting alot back then, and whenever I needed to take a break, I'd play chess on it. It got addictive. And Half Man Half Biscuit were right - plenty of bad losers out there! ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2018, 12:46:10 am »
It's a constant irritation of mine that this thread is still in the boozer. I think I'm right in saying that the UK is the only country in the EU to not recognise chess as a sport. Certainly the most fucking stand out anyway. Please move it to the appropriate area goddamit.  :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Jlx4YVYFkE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Jlx4YVYFkE</a>
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:56:18 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2018, 01:15:45 am »
Have missed the details of the last two days, but a number of players are in contention to win the right to fight for the World Championship v Carlsen tomorrow. It's a big day, and has to be watched/followed.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2018, 02:03:34 pm »
Sadly, I cannot watch today as I'm back at work. Might have a look when I get back home in the evening. If the matches doesn't last too long, I might watch the whole stream from the beginning.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2018, 02:27:30 pm »
I have it on in the background, and peer in every so often. Some extra effort will be needed by me to keep up with what's going on in the latter stages, but should be some fireworks today.

Live link:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Da0DBTizEro" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Da0DBTizEro</a>

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/fide-berlin-candidates-2018/14/1/4

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2018, 01:30:07 am »
Congrats to Caruana. I give him zero chance, but it's being played out in London this November. so will have to go.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2018, 09:28:07 pm »
Chess 24 are doing live commentary for the Grenke Classics in Karlsruhe, Germany. Gustafsson is joined by Peter Leko. Some big names in the tournament. Today Caruana vs Carlsen ended in a draw. Anand is also playing and some guys I don't know. Good thing is they have cameras to show the players. Don't know what half these people look like. And they also had Carlsen and Caruana over for a little chat after their game had ended. Don't like the analysing of the game as much as when they ask them "normal" questions. For example, Caruana said that it was a bit tough playing so soon after the candidates. To which Carlsen said that it was probably an advantage playing him when he still has a hangover from Berlin adding that he didn't mean it literally. To which Caruana said "Well, it's also literally" or something like that... :D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »
Discovered today that Fiona Steil-Antoni is a Liverpool fan. Love her, and now we're just meant for eachother. Really hoping she's involved with the World Championship commentary.

My blitz chess has come on. I still get battered occassionally, but have found a new home with 1 d4, and that's mainly thanks to Jan Gustafsson's banter blitz. Really need to learn how to counter the Kings Gambit tho. Have sat down with it before, but I need to revise. Fischer vengance on these bastards!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: April 28, 2018, 12:51:53 am »
What chess commentary could do with, is some special guests. Mix it up a bit. Introduce us to a new voice for 10 minutes. 20 even. I love Jan and Svidler, but would be great to give them a break for 10, and then bring on someone else for a bit. You could do so much with that I think.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2018, 07:19:09 am »
What chess commentary could do with, is some special guests. Mix it up a bit. Introduce us to a new voice for 10 minutes. 20 even. I love Jan and Svidler, but would be great to give them a break for 10, and then bring on someone else for a bit. You could do so much with that I think.

Alan Shearer perhaps. He'd offer as much insight on chess as he does on football. Come to think of it, Michael Owen would be an appropriate pundit for horse racing. He'd be able to talk about the love of his life, ie. Michael Owen.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: May 2, 2018, 12:11:19 am »
Nothing to see here... Am on my phone with this, now need the computer.

<div style="width:590px;height:420px;border:1px solid black;position:relative"><a style="position:absolute;top:2px;right:4px;font:normal normal normal 8pt arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:white" href="http://www.caissa.com/" target="_blank">Play Online Chess[/url]<iframe id="cwvif_1525215911" name="cwvif_1525215911" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><form id="cwvfm_1525215911" method="post" action="http://www.caissa.com/htbin/chessview" target="cwvif_1525215911"><input type="hidden" id="cwvpd_1525215911" name="data" value="" /></form></div><div id="cwvpg_1525215911" style="display:none">[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2018.5.1"]
[Round "?"]
[White "?"]
[Black "?"]
[Result "*"]
[WhiteELO "?"]
[BlackELO "?"]

%Created by Caissa's Web PGN Editor
1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 d6 4. Bc4 Bg4 5. O-O h6 6. d4 Qd7 7. Bxf4 Nc6 8.
Bb5 a6 9. Ba4 b5 10. Bb3 O-O-O 11. Qd2 Nf6 12. d5 Nxe4 13. dxc6 Qxc6 14. Qd4
Qc5 15. Bd5 Bxf3 16. Qxc5 Nxc5 17. Bxf3 f5 18. Nc3 g5 19. Bg3 f4 20. Bf2 Bg7
21. Rab1 Rhe8 22. Nd5 Ne4 23. Bxe4 Rxe4 24. Rfe1 Rde8 25. Rxe4 Rxe4 26. Re1
Re5 27. Rxe5 dxe5 28. Ne7+ Kd7 29. Nf5 Bf8 30. g4 Ke6 31. a3 Kd5 32. b4 e4
33. h4 e3 34. Be1 Ke4 35. hxg5 hxg5 36. Kg2 f3+ 37. Kf1 Kf4 38. Nd4 Kxg4 39.
Ne6 Bd6</div><script type="text/javascript">document.getElementById("cwvpd_1525215911").value=document.getElementById("cwvpg_1525215911").innerHTML;document.getElementById("cwvfm_1525215911").submit();</script>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 2, 2018, 12:27:27 am »
Nah... maybe one day I'll work out how to do that ;D^

A defense to the treacherous Kings Gambit. One day I'll sit down with it properly and learn Fischers 'bust' to it verbatim. I usually get destroyed by it, but tonight, went full psycho and stockfish says I'm up -5 (I'm black) when I reviewed it. 5 min per side blitz - really pleased with tonights work. Blunders a plenty on both sides, but was a heady game - opponent ran out of time.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2018, 12:48:51 am by Filler. »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #259 on: May 2, 2018, 01:35:57 pm »
Time in Blitz can be your ally if you know your openings fully and have a decent mid game.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: May 4, 2018, 12:41:26 am »
Time in Blitz can be your ally if you know your openings fully and have a decent mid game.

Decent mid game more for me. I usually bugger up the openings, so often have to rely on distraction tactics with a sacrifice. That's what I tell myself anyway.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2018, 09:52:19 pm »
Chess24 are streaming the Norway Chess tournament. Jan and Peter are commentating. The live stream seems to be restricted to their users or whatever, but you can watch the streams later on YouTube. Today was a rest day, but I've watched the first day of Blitz games and the first round stream. Currently watching the second round...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 1, 2018, 12:16:37 am »
I've been meaning to check in. Half term and all that. Live streams restricted to their users? Please don't go down that route chess24. Build an audience properly you wankers.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: June 1, 2018, 02:10:37 pm »
I can live with it as long as you can watch it afterwards. Most of the time I don't have time to watch the whole thing live anyway. Day 2 stream was fun. Some talk about movies and how a GM should look like. And as a special treat a picture of Peter Svidler with a moustache. And one of him looking like he's about to murder someone... ;D

In chess news Ding Liren seems to be out of the tournament after a bike accident yesterday. He's having hip surgery today so his game with Fabiano Caruana has been postponed. Don't see him continuing though. He probably can't sit for a long time after surgery and I seriously doubt that he's in any condition to play...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: June 5, 2018, 09:58:53 pm »
It's really annoyed me. They're onto a really good thing there with Svidler and Gustaffsson and they really should be showing it all to everyone for free with continuous rigour and passion. Chess should be on television. It's perfectly made for television... everything about it screams it, but they've pulled their heads in like tortoises about it. Feels like exclusive access and I hate that.

They can help make chess entertaining for a broader audience, but they've tucked them away. Chance missed.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: June 5, 2018, 10:09:22 pm »
Was today the rest day or was it yesterday? Anyway... enjoyed the Carlsen defeat review Svidler did. 'Followed' it on Twitter. ::)

He is beautiful at banter blitz is Svidler. Gustaffsson is a great player but Svidler is different level. Have learned so much from them but Svidler is so impressive. Kills me to see them cordened off like this.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2018, 09:42:27 pm »
Still not finished watching this, but have heard the best line by Gustaffson. Some guy was asking in chat whether it helps using chess puns when trying to pick up women who play chess. Jan's reply was "Yes, definitely. Especially the line 'I'd like to mate' you gets you laid all the time..." :lmao

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2018, 10:33:05 pm »
He's done the 'I'd like to mate you' line before I'm sure. Also has a good repertoire about 'pawn' too. ;D

When are tickets going on sale for the fucking final!>???!?!?!?!?

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:59 am »
Seems like the organisation for the WC is a clusterfuck. Had a look where it's held and saw people complaining that there's still no info on tickets which should have been out in January. It's kind of ironic that something like that is going on in chess which is all about precision... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2018, 10:14:55 pm »
It's kind of ironic that something like that is going on in chess which is all about precision... ;)

Not in my hands it isn't.  ;D

Three times now I've looked to see if tickets were on sale so I could plan and weigh up stuff, couldn't believe they were STILL not on sale!?

I didn't fancy Caruana's chances that much, but I've been encouraged to see there may be a game on. I don't really know what their game is like... their 'style' so to speak. Have followed a few games of Carlsens now but can't work him out - don't know either's favourite openings or replies etc.

Did you see Carlsen's games v Gustafsson? Carlsen logged in under an alias, and destroyed him. I may have posted it up before, but take a look at Jan's face when he realises that the same fella who beat him was back online asking for another game. The fear, the intruige, the respect for this unknown assailant:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9B50Ii73_JE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9B50Ii73_JE</a>

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2018, 07:46:07 pm »
Didn't know that video and it's pretty funny...

I have to say that I'm just not good enough or don't understand enough about chess to know how certain players. I don't know who's strong doing what and how they play. I don't even know the openings. So when they say xy is good with the Spanish or whatever I have no clue what they mean... ;D

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #271 on: June 15, 2018, 07:32:11 am »
If you like chess gameknot is a great site to join
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #272 on: June 15, 2018, 05:45:46 pm »

Did you see Carlsen's games v Gustafsson? Carlsen logged in under an alias, and destroyed him. I may have posted it up before, but take a look at Jan's face when he realises that the same fella who beat him was back online asking for another game. The fear, the intruige, the respect for this unknown assailant:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9B50Ii73_JE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9B50Ii73_JE</a>
That victory was as spectacular as it was comprehensive. Really enjoyed that and watched it over a few times. Thanks for posting it up.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: June 16, 2018, 12:10:40 am »
That victory was as spectacular as it was comprehensive. Really enjoyed that and watched it over a few times. Thanks for posting it up.

Saw a few conspiracy theorists thinking it was guided by some half arsed computer engine. There is NO FUCKING WAY a computer is making those moves.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #274 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:40 am »
Saw a few conspiracy theorists thinking it was guided by some half arsed computer engine. There is NO FUCKING WAY a computer is making those moves.
It was the weirdest game wasn't it, I would expect it to become one of those YouTube games that people rave about as they take you through each move. He just seemed to have him pinned down with no options from the word go.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: June 16, 2018, 10:42:52 pm »
There are some great games between Nigel Short v Bobby Fischer on YT. Now those were insane. Fischer starts taking the king for a walk from his third or 4th move in one of them and destroys him. There's some debate about whether he was playing Fischer, but Short is 100% convinced.

But it's as if Gustafsson already knew he was going to lose. I haven't seen the first game they had between them, but he must have gone to bed thinking about it. In fairness tho it's a line he didn't know, but he did blitz out the beginning - probably out of nerves! ;D

I have a chess app called Skid, which is a basic form of stockfish, one of the chess super computers. I review the odd blitz game I have just to see how many terrible, terrible moves I make (and also some comfirmation of correct answers occassionally). I should put this Magnus game into it one day. It'll find that Bb4 at the end there in an instant, but it won't be finding many of those earlier ones I don't think.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2018, 11:55:36 pm »
Just spent nearly an hour writing out the moves with stockfish's ideas. I click post. Tab crashed. All gone. This has basically been the summation of my day.

In summary: Not a game played by a computer (obv). It found Bb4 in an instant. Didn't like Qf3 much, and the vast majority of the opening 10 or so moves by Carlsen. Jan's blunder was Rc3. Fuck machines.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2018, 07:55:52 pm »
LIVE! 2018 Saint Louis Rapid & Blitz. Most of the top players involved and today it's 5 minute blitz!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V5Dt3SQxtRk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V5Dt3SQxtRk</a>

Good to see tickets have finallly been put on sale for the world title!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2018, 11:26:40 pm »
Radio Jan rarely posts on twitter, but he did today. Loved his profile pic:

;D

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #279 on: October 9, 2018, 10:10:46 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Reu9fQyMXbU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Reu9fQyMXbU</a>

I'm not that great at chess but even I know garbage moves when I see them.  Trent, what's going on?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.