Author Topic: Who the hell is Mark Gonzalez  (Read 93282 times)

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
Re: Who the hell is Mark Gonzalez
« Reply #1200 on: May 17, 2007, 01:14:03 am »
The return of Kewell may actually help Gonzo.  He's clearly not ready to be first choice on the left wing so he may be able to improve and find his feet a bit better if he is used more sparingly and in situations with less pressure and expectation.

I don't think we'll get rid yet... Kewell's injury history says that we need plenty of cover.  I suppose it's possible that Gonzo would leave if we got a good offer but that is probably not very likely since he has been very quiet lately.  I can't really see him leaving until the January transfer window at the soonest after Rafa has had an opportunity to assess Leto and see if Kewell's fitness is looking stable - and even then I don't think he'll be shipped out.

Agree. I hope we don't sell the kid, as he has shown glimpses of brilliance, however the arrival of Leto has got me a little worried.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #1201 on: May 17, 2007, 08:45:46 am »
I think the one thing working in his favour for next season is that Benitez looks to be assembling a strong young side, which could well be deployed in the domestic cups, and therefore see a fair share of 1st team football next season, depending upon our success in the competitions.

I would not be surprised to see Benitez add 2 or 3 more real quality young players to the squad before the start of next season.  I think this must have part of the deal to keep him at the club.

When you consider the list of youngsters we already have in Padelli, Paletta, Insua, Hobbs, Sissoko, Lucas, Anderson, Lindfield, then we could have a very strong U23 team, which will allow these guys to play together and slowly adapt to proper 1st team football.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: May 17, 2007, 01:40:42 pm »
Gonzalez attracts Spanish interest
May 17 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

MARK GONZALEZ could be heading for a swift return to La Liga after the Champions League final as a host of Spanish clubs are showing interest in the winger.

The 22-year-old Chilean has struggled to make an impact in the Premiership following his arrival from Real Sociedad last summer.

There were high hopes the South American would solve Liverpool’s long standing problems on the left of midfield, but despite countless opportunities, it’s been an erratic debut campaign in England.

Now Real Betis are believed to be among those showing an interest in taking the youngster back to Spain, where he originally shone for Albacete, prompting his much delayed £2.5m transfer to the Reds.

Manager Rafa Benitez has been pondering whether to allow Gonzalez to leave or give him one more chance to shine next season.

Benitez is weighing up whether the Chilean will have benefited from his first season at Anfield and can massively improve, or whether the last eight months are a sign he’s not up to the level of a club of Liverpool’s size.

It’s a sign of how Gonzalez has missed his opportunities when long term absentee Harry Kewell seems to have moved above him in the battle to win a place on the bench in Athens.

Gonzalez admits he faces an uncertain future, but is hopeful he’ll still be at the club beyond the summer.

"I have a three-year contract but you never know what might happen,” he acknowledged.

"This is football and if I have to go somewhere else then I will have to deal with that, but at the moment I'm here and I'm very focused for the final and what happens in the future will come.

"If I have to go then I will go but I will arrive there with confidence because I have been at Liverpool and I must have been there for something.

"But I would like to stay at Liverpool next season and beyond."

Gonzalez can at least console himself with the fact his winning goal against Maccabi Haifa in last August’s Champions League qualifier set Liverpool on the path to Athens.

But since then, there have been few personal highlights.

“It has not been the best year for me and I know I can do more,” he said.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=gonzalez-attracts-spanish-interest%26method=full%26objectid=19117550%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #1203 on: May 17, 2007, 01:51:49 pm »
If we do sell him, it might be useful to include a sell on clause or even a buy back clause in case he comes good.
Watch your back.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #1204 on: May 17, 2007, 02:02:07 pm »
Put him on loan :wave to a championship team and see if he improves in this country. If he does, bring him back. ;D
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #1205 on: May 17, 2007, 03:15:55 pm »
I am reading all the wrong signs from him. If he knows he's been shite he should be talking about working harder and getting ready for next season, none of this going back to Spain rubbish.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #1206 on: May 17, 2007, 06:44:25 pm »
Real Betis are interested in getting Mark Gonzalez. A four deal year.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0517/liverpool.html

Sorry, didn't read the previous posts
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 06:48:21 pm by Spanish Fan »
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #1207 on: May 17, 2007, 06:46:25 pm »
Real Betis are interested in getting Mark Gonzalez. A four deal year.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0517/liverpool.html

How much?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Mark Gonzales : On the way out??
« Reply #1208 on: May 18, 2007, 02:42:57 am »
Don't want to be pessimistic ahead of next week or to launch another
player rant but I found this link and it caught me by surprise.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/221-02.html

Apparently Mark is wanted by Sociedad, Betis and other spanish clubs.
With Kewell on the way back, Leto, Voronin and Lucas signed perhaps
he will leave Anfield this summer after all.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mark Gonzales : On the way out??
« Reply #1209 on: May 18, 2007, 03:04:42 am »
We should give him another season although Rafa may ship him out since we've got money promised by the Americans.

With Kewell back and fit (and if he doesn't get sold), Gonzalez may see less time.

Offline arfy05

• Legacy Fan
  • Conspiracy Theorist
    • The arfy blog
« Reply #1210 on: May 18, 2007, 03:10:58 am »
I like how Rafa works strictly with players who do not perform, there is no room for sentiment or whatever. While I agree Speedy has a lot to learn and develop, should that be at the expense of the teams advancement, especially considering this team needs to discover it's identity by finally trying to win the league.

While this might seem harsh, a strict policy with players needs to be adapted so at to not drop standards and maintain a high level of competitiveness in the squad.

For me I thought people's hopes of Speedy replacing Harry were a tad too hih and although he has struggled and what not, there are large areas of his game which need improvement and i don't see even with good guidance Speedy being a world class winger, i may be wrong. But technical ability and game intelligence really lack in his game and as seen with many a players, you cannot legislate for if a player does not have the footballing brain, you can cover it ith hard work and endeavour, but the lack of natural talent will show especially for flair players like a winger.

Offline legoflamb

• Legacy Fan
  • A Likely Lid
« Reply #1211 on: May 18, 2007, 03:11:56 am »
I wouldn't let him go anywhere.  You can't judge a player properly on one season, hampered in parts by injury.  Ronaldo in no way set the Premiership alight in his first season, and whilst I'm not comparing the two at all - unfortunately, I don't think Gonzalez has anywhere near as many tricks up his sleeve, or, dare I say it, the same footballing brain - I think it does go to show that players can 'acclimatise' at different rates.  Having said all that of course, Rafa may feel a loan spell would do him the world of good.

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1212 on: May 18, 2007, 03:12:09 am »
I think he needs another season. He's been pretty injury-hit this season and he'll have had ample time to settle in by the start of next season. I for one can definately see potential there.
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: May 18, 2007, 03:12:14 am »
I feel the same.

( Before the mods get angry, I just noticed someone posted a similiar link
in the 'Gonzales' thread )
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:13:50 am by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: May 18, 2007, 03:17:48 am »

*merged*

87:13

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: May 18, 2007, 03:29:44 am »

Offline toshi

• Kopite
  • Respect
« Reply #1216 on: May 18, 2007, 03:53:26 am »
i think he should get another season, C. Ronaldo is not that impressive on his first season in England either, but look at him now....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:00:32 am by toshi »
CJ        : "Morton, this is President Bartlett"
Bartlett : "Hey Morton"
Morton (stunned) : "WOW"
Bartlett  : "Well Said"

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1217 on: May 18, 2007, 05:09:06 am »
Ronaldo shown glimpse of what he was about all through out his first season; Gonzalez has not.  Between him and Kewell, if we could only keep one, I would chose Kewell.  Both have been hampered by injury but Kewell has shown his talent when he has played.

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: May 18, 2007, 06:16:37 am »
Gonzalez has done ok, he has played how I expected him to play in his first season.
'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1219 on: May 18, 2007, 06:29:59 am »
Ronaldo shown glimpse of what he was about all through out his first season; Gonzalez has not.  Between him and Kewell, if we could only keep one, I would chose Kewell.  Both have been hampered by injury but Kewell has shown his talent when he has played.

Echo that.

He's not really shown anything at all, except an ability to get into the box on the end of crosses - which he's only done sporadically.
I'd personally like to have him for another year, but I suspect he thinks he's not good enough or suited for this league and wants out.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline victor predictor

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1220 on: May 18, 2007, 09:23:39 am »

wouldnt be upset if either went

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1221 on: May 18, 2007, 10:59:17 am »
Rafa must have seen very good things in the lad, that perhaps we haven't yet. He's been to extraordinary lengths to get him here. If nothing else we'd have no chance of signing a 'special talent' from outside of Europe if we ship him back off so soon.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline VintageRed74

• or perhaps Vladimir or even Estragon. Best fiends with Maggie..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: May 18, 2007, 01:16:32 pm »
Echo that.

He's not really shown anything at all, except an ability to get into the box on the end of crosses - which he's only done sporadically.
I'd personally like to have him for another year, but I suspect he thinks he's not good enough or suited for this league and wants out.
Totally agree with you mate, word on the street is that for the 1st time in 19 years we just may have a good go at winning the league next season and for me he is not good enough, the lad wants too much time on the ball (moving back to Spain would give him this) and has not looked anywhere near good enough, still at least we didn't pay a fortune for him like we have on other duds in recent years, heres hoping Leto has more quality.
I never normally forget a face, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception.

Offline goosh

• Main Stander
« Reply #1223 on: May 18, 2007, 03:24:30 pm »
If we sign a quality left winger in the summer then he would be one I would let go, if not I'd keep him on, rotating with Harry depending on form and fitness of the 2.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1224 on: May 18, 2007, 08:29:01 pm »
I wonder if Rafa will take into account Gonzalez's possible participation in the Copa America next month.  If he is thinking about selling Mark, he can use the tournament to raise his value. If not, it will give Gonzalez a chance to show what he is capable of doing next season.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #1225 on: September 24, 2022, 06:18:10 pm »
He scored for us today!! I am happy!!! Pongolle to!!
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1226 on: September 24, 2022, 06:34:57 pm »
Hope he can kick on now
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: September 24, 2022, 06:45:55 pm »
Had high hopes for him.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1228 on: September 24, 2022, 09:18:02 pm »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."