Author Topic: Emile Heskey  (Read 84163 times)

Offline Frisian Reds

• Main Stander
  • Dutch Dynamite
Re:Emile Heskey (Seriously)
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2003, 11:25:48 pm »
Heskey is a very strong player and he is a very hard worker. There aren't many strikers who will go for the balls Heskey often sees going in his 'direction'. He just never gives up, that's what I like about him. His weakness is, as said so many times already, his goalscoring, but if Emile keeps defenders busy, other players get more space, so it's easier for them to score.
To be honest, I would prefer a more technical player next to Owen, so this striker can hold the ball and gives an intelligent pass to Owen, and we can see more nice combinations, but I don't think we have such a player at the moment. I believe Baros can become a good player, but I'm not convinced about his technique and his game-insight, yet. I haven't seen Mellor playing enough to judge about him.
That's why I still prefer an Owen-Heskey partnership in attach, although I know the attack can be much more dangerous when Owen has another kind of striker next to him.

Offline David

• Main Stander
  • Facts are stubborn but statistics are more pliable
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2003, 07:11:10 am »
I think EH is playing for his future, he might be the best partner we have for owen right now, but that does not mean GH will settle. I think if he doesnt show GH something between now and the beginning of next season, i think GH will start looking for a new foil for owen, but EH is gonna have to prove without a doubt that he is the player to partner owen, and unfortunetly he is leaving a lot of people with doubts in the back of their head, and im sure GH included.
women begin by resisting a man's advances and end up blocking his retreat.

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
  • The Peoples' Republic Of Liverpool
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2003, 12:55:54 pm »
If you be completley honest with yourselves (if not then you must think were going nowhere) We are currently 5th and you look at Chelsea, Newcastle, Man Utd & Arsenals stike force...

Chelsea - Hasselbaink/Gudjonsen
Newcastle - Shearer/Bellamy
Man Utd - Van Nistelrooy/Solksjaer
Arsenal - Henry/Wiltord

If you think Heskey is a better player than any of them, then seriously there's something wrong because the way we've been playing football this season we've heavily relied on Michael Owen. Now if you look at the strikes for the teams that are above us, both of them create chances to score goals and win matches.

If we want to win the Premiership then Arsenal is our yardstick, we clearly don't match them so we are in no position to overcome them.

If we want to win the Champions League then Real Madrid is our yardstick, we obviously aren't as good as them.

Why? Because we need to bring in quality players and drop players like Heskey who simply aren't as good as what we need them to be.

Do u think I like saying any of this? I'm just telling it how it is.
WE ARE THE KOPITES, WE ALL WENT TO ROME...WE ALL WENT TO WEST HAM WHILE THE ROAD END STAYED AT HOME!

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2003, 01:02:36 pm »
Whats all this foil business for Owen?

Who was who's foil when the partnership was Fowler & Collymore? Thats been our best partnership over the last 10 years.

Why not try and match the teams who are above and scrap all this foilness thing and have TWO out & out strikers who score goals, obviously Michael Owen and then a Summer signing.

People must underestimate Owen if they think he needs a foil, the lad is 23, don't you think he's good enough to play without 'foil' ?
WE ARE THE KOPITES, WE ALL WENT TO ROME...WE ALL WENT TO WEST HAM WHILE THE ROAD END STAYED AT HOME!

Offline Dan_L

• WANTED: For crimes against Carpets & Curtains
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2003, 01:03:46 pm »
It depends what you put on the foil, steak or sommat? grill it.  :P

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2003, 01:05:31 pm »
Ask Piercy, he started it all

Offline Shaky Jake

• Kopite
  • from corners he will score some...
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2003, 01:11:18 pm »
Having two strikers that are different from each other is a very good thing. You don't want them going for the same balls and making the same runs.

Typical example is the link striker + the finisher

e.g.
Dalglish + Rush
Beardsely + Aldridge
Bergkamp + Henry

(we could've had Litmanen and Owen :'(  and we could still play Diouf and Owen)

Then another one would be Little'n'Large:
Keegan + Toshack
Owen + Heskey

One big guy, who gives strength and can hang onto the ball, supplying a nippy guy who can feed on the chaos he creates.

So in theory the Heskey + Owen partnership makes a lot of sense. And it has worked well on occasion. However it promises a lot more than it delivers and hasn't worked consistently for  a long time.

I also don't think that Owen and Baros need be a bad combination, they're both bright and should be capable of forging a partnership.
Give it to John

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2003, 01:18:02 pm »
Heskey doesnt show enough strength for his size, He gets knocked off the ball far too easily but shall we say skinnier defenders?

treble2001

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2003, 08:04:42 pm »
I think the fact that Heskey's next to Owen is more of a disadvantage to Heskey.  He's the one who has to go looking for the ball, and take the knocks when the long ball is played.  Whenever Heskey plays, it's the same Hyypia/Riise etc long ball to his head...he never gets the ball to his feet or to run onto like Owen does.

If Heskey was actually played up front for a run of games, and not up front for a bit, then centre mid, then left mid, then centre half when we're one up, then the goals will come.  

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2003, 01:13:53 am »
The problem with the Heskey-Owen partnership is that we have it all backwards. It doesn't work just because we have a big guy-little guy partnership. Normally you have a big lad up front and then a skilful player behind him, the little guy. We have Heskey in the partnership because he's big, but he can't really play the supporting striker role. Owen can't really do it either (and he shouldn't) and we end up with just a big guy and a little guy. One of them can score and for the other one we just kick it and hope for the best. I think they both suffer.
Owen gets the big guy beside him, but he doesn't get much service from it. Mistake. Heskey gets to play a supporting role and he's shit at it. Mistake. He's hardly Jari Litmanen. Emile should lead the line, just like Mikey. To be honest I reckon we'd be better off with Smicer behind either of them.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Avi Cohen

• Moaning fucker
  • Kemlynite
  • UP THE REDS, DOWN THE BLUES!
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2003, 10:01:30 pm »
Heskey, should be brilliant, could be brilliant, should have every defender in World football shitting himself at the thought of facing him, Could have every defender etc. etc.

I believe in all of the above, sadly the lad himself doesnt,& unless we can bring Rocky's Trainer back from the dead to inspire him before a game its time to let him go!
I'd Walk a million miles for 1 of your goals, Oh Kenny!!!

Offline Avi Cohen

• Moaning fucker
  • Kemlynite
Will the REAL Emile Heskey please stand up?
« Reply #131 on: April 4, 2003, 09:42:35 pm »
 I've had the conversation time & time again with me mates, we all know how good Heskey can be, sadly the only 1 who doesnt agree is Emile himself.
He needs a trainer like out of the Rocky films slapping him about the face before he goes out to play telling him how good he is & how frightened the opposition are of him.
Sadly tho I see him as a wasted talent, some do it through the ale like Gazza & Best, but Heskey reminds of a middleweight boxer a while ago John "The Beast" Mugabe, he fought Marvin Hagler & was doing well against a legend, holding his own but he was the only 1 who didnt see it. I remember his corner urging him to get out there & fight but he was having none of it.
Sadly thats Heskey, I understand every reason for buying him but unfortunately he's too nice to go knocking over defenders on a regular basis.
The Rooney debut the other night made me laugh, he was obviously being compared to Heskey, taking his place in the team.
They've (The Media) all forgotton him scaring Walter Samuel & the Argentina defence to death at Wembley.
Will the real Emile Heskey please stand up?  :'(

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
Re:Will the REAL Emile Heskey please stand up?
« Reply #132 on: April 4, 2003, 09:49:56 pm »
I think that is the most annoying thing about Heskey, I have no doubt that he does have the talent and ability to shine but he just doesn’t do it often enough.  If it’s simply a lack of belief then I’m sure GH and co must be trying to pump him up, but I don’t see much for it.

He works bloody hard for the team but is it enough?

People have been ranting about Rooney debut for days but I can recall Em’s England debut and he was fantastic its so bloody frustrating.  
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Avi Cohen

• Moaning fucker
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #133 on: April 4, 2003, 09:55:18 pm »
Thats the point isnt it Christine, everybody bar the lad himself knows what hes capable of, if he believed it himself he could be a World Beater, how long can we give the lad tho, he can turn it on tomorrow (PLEASE GOD IF YOUR OUT THERE) but a game or 2 down the line he'll revert to being a "worker" again.

Offline allan

• Boys Pen
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #134 on: April 4, 2003, 10:46:29 pm »
I think he's had long enough, its time for him to be shipped out in place of someone else, like Milan.

Whats so good about him then Avi?

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #135 on: April 4, 2003, 11:15:12 pm »
If Emile is not fired up for this match against Man U then he never will be. Surely any player who's been dropped like he was on Wednesday, would go out and show everyone their mistake in the next game. If Heskey doesn't have a blinder against Man U then I don't believe he has the mental strength to be a Liverpool regular. I really hope he's going to go out there and knock Ferdinand all over the place and show him who's the daddy, like we all know he can, but doesn't do anywhere near often enough.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Fat-Sami

• Jack of all trades, master of NONE
  • Kopite
  • CCCCCCRRRRRAIG DAVIS
« Reply #136 on: April 4, 2003, 11:33:34 pm »
Not unless hes played as the striker, not this defensive forward shit, not this left wing shit, but as the last man forward, that's where hes at his best.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Emile Heskey
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2003, 03:39:13 am »
Just read the paper and aparently Lyon claim Heskey would be available for 11 million. It says they offered 6 million and my guess is GH would be prepared t accept around 8 million for him. We wont get 11 million.

I'd be sad to see him go but he just hasnt provided enough goals in the last couple of seasons, and the way he runs back to defend, if only he would do that to attack defenders.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Emile Heskey
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2003, 09:09:28 am »
I think we'd sell him in a flash if anyone really did put a £6m bid in for him.

I'd be sad, and happy, to see him go - he's got a few of us like that.  As I said on a thread last week, it would be ironic if he goes and we go out and buy a winger who can send crosses over from the line....
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2003, 09:13:19 am »
He wouldn't go to France for a big balloon!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Redundalk

• Has strong opinions on socks
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • always read the instructions
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2003, 09:28:19 am »
Is that from the mirror?
Says something about the possibility of a loan deal?
Steve Staunton for Emporer of the Universe

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2003, 10:09:04 am »
A loan deal? This get's better!

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2003, 10:17:55 am »
 ;D
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2003, 10:49:04 am »
hopefully loan him to auxerre and they release cisse a year early!!

always been a fan of emiles but said at beginning of last season he needed a BIG season if he was to stay with LFC.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2003, 10:50:18 am »
Loan him to Auxerre?

They can afford his wages can't they?

Or are we gonna loan him out and continue to pay his wages?

No thank You.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2003, 10:51:31 am »
Rubbish story, Lyon don't need a striker, they are buying Shabani Nonda from Monaco and already have Luyindula and Govou up front. They don't tend to loan players anyway.

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2003, 11:03:23 am »
You know it's a slow news day when.....

Heskey won't go to Lyon for the reasons S-L-J gave, although I was under the impression the Shabani Nonda deal was pending a Monaco appeal.

I see Veira has been linked with UTD as well, i'm just suprised we haven't been linked with a ridiculous transfer today.

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2003, 12:10:08 pm »
when a player goes on loan isnt it a 50 50 split for wages, even so they souldnt probably afford him.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2003, 12:19:11 pm »
I wasn't aware that there was a specific formula for wages, I always assumed it was a matter of negotiation between the clubs?

btw I remember seeing speculation that Govou was on his way?
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2003, 12:46:53 pm »
would we loan an england striker to a foreign club when we would be left with Owen and two young strikers (baros, mellor). unless Diouf will play up front.... HINT! HINT!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2003, 12:52:27 pm »
Heskey is goingn nowhere. Still feel he is Mikey's No.1 partner.

:wave

Offline AndyJ

• If it wasn't for RAWK I'd jack in work
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2003, 01:25:10 pm »
How fecking stupid is this thread? I'm giving it 10 out of 10

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2003, 01:41:13 pm »
I cant see us getting £11M for Heskey in todays economic climate.
Justice for the 96.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2003, 04:49:31 pm »
Don't think Heskey will leave. Absolutely not for 6M.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2003, 12:12:53 am »
he won't be sold for £6 million....

for two reasons.....

1) potential - could become a hell of a striker (with a fair bit of work.....) especially as mentioned if we signed a player to put quality balls into the box and big Emile decided to attack the ball in the air

2) bought for £11 million and Le Boss has been a very public supporter of Emile - can't see him letting Emile go for near half price....
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline IrishRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2003, 12:14:13 am »
and theres another reason.....

3) the papers are printing so much crap that i'm fed up reading and listening bout them
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2003, 12:58:34 am »
Posted by: S-L-J  Posted on: Yesterday at 10:51:31am  
Rubbish story, Lyon don't need a striker, they are buying Shabani Nonda from Monaco and already have Luyindula and Govou up front. They don't tend to loan players anyway.  

i think you'll find nonda playing for monaco again next season if he stays in france as the appeal is sucsessful

Offline Shaky Jake

• Kopite
  • from corners he will score some...
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2003, 09:40:03 am »
This definitely has the air of silly season transfer story. Basically all is so quiet on the LFC transfer front, but the papers still want to print something with the word "Liverpool" in to get people reading...

I could imagine Emile dropping down the pecking order, but I can't imagine him leaving for at least another season. His fate and Ged's are so strongly linked...

They both really need a big season in 03/04
Give it to John

Offline IrishRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2003, 05:49:15 pm »
and lets hope both have a cracking season and are celebrating at the end for the Reds

Justice

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2003, 09:39:19 am »
and lets hope both have a cracking season and are celebrating at the end for the Reds

Amen  :wave