Author Topic: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)  (Read 361234 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #5920 on: December 2, 2022, 08:32:08 am »
Thought the ITV coverage at the end was abysmal cutting away from the Japanese celebrations to spend 20 minutes boring everyone watching into submission and then mentioning conspiracy theories.
It was. Really bad.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #5921 on: December 2, 2022, 08:34:34 am »
Gareth Southgate's tactical masterclass.
On radio yesterday they were discussing how some were labelling him as the above as he got Rashford & Foden to swap sides against Wales :D

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #5922 on: December 2, 2022, 08:43:01 am »
On radio yesterday they were discussing how some were labelling him as the above as he got Rashford & Foden to swap sides against Wales :D
I am not sure how is it in England / UK, but in part of my global region... Gareth Southgate is regarded as good as Jurgen Klopp.

The news, the media... It's all about the route of England to final already.

Example (I am not changing even a single word of these...):

England are looking to win their second World Cup title at the Nov. 20-Dec. 18 tournament in Qatar. Here is what you need to know about their route to the final
+ WHO COULD ENGLAND FACE IN THE FINAL?

* If England go all the way to the final they could potentially find themselves taking on Brazil if, as expected, the five-times winners top Group G.

- https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sport/world-cup-2022-englands-route-final-explained-3117651

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5923 on: December 2, 2022, 09:09:29 am »
Japan getting railed here.

They’ll try to play Spain at their own game and not be as good at it.

Arf
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5924 on: December 2, 2022, 09:12:11 am »
Hoping Ghana do stuff tonight, if only for the fact their government has been trolling Harry Maguire.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5925 on: December 2, 2022, 09:15:33 am »
Had Germany in my sweepstake and thought they looked really good for the majority of the tournament to be honest, such a weird campaign.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5926 on: December 2, 2022, 09:20:13 am »
Had Germany in my sweepstake and thought they looked really good for the majority of the tournament to be honest, such a weird campaign.

They were basically done over by some dodgy defending for one half against Japan, and Spain racking up a load of goals vs Costa Rica.

They didn't look great, but they didn't look terrible to the point they haven't even reached the knockouts. Just mad how sport can do that to you sometimes.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5927 on: December 2, 2022, 09:25:55 am »
They lack a (good) striker which would have been their downfall had they got through I think. Inside penalty area they were average at best.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5928 on: December 2, 2022, 09:28:01 am »
I am not sure how is it in England / UK, but in part of my global region... Gareth Southgate is regarded as good as Jurgen Klopp.

England are looking to win their second World Cup title at the Nov. 20-Dec. 18 tournament in Qatar. Here is what you need to know about their route to the final

* If England go all the way to the final they could potentially find themselves taking on Brazil if, as expected, the five-times winners top Group G.

- https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sport/world-cup-2022-englands-route-final-explained-3117651

As good as Jürgen. He's not as good as alot of Premier League managers ;D

Although it'd be good if this gets him the Manchester United job one day.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #5929 on: December 2, 2022, 09:39:08 am »
Hoping for Brazil to win.

got them in my work's sweep.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5930 on: December 2, 2022, 09:40:42 am »
Martin Keown is really rubbish as a co commentator. That lady on BBC keeps getting lumbered with him & his utter waffle.

She's not great herself
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #5931 on: December 2, 2022, 09:48:10 am »

* If England go all the way to the final they could potentially find themselves taking on Brazil if, as expected, the five-times winners top Group G. [/i]

Surprised they’re even bothering to have the final to be honest, might as well hand over the trophy now.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5932 on: December 2, 2022, 09:51:07 am »

The way it is shaping up, if England win it they are probably doing so by facing the best teams in the world - going through AFCON winners, then likely France, then likely Spain or Portugal, and then likely Brazil, Argentina, or Holland in the final, if they win that it's by being the best no fluke run.

But at the same time that makes it incredibly remiss to just assume they have a march on the final - England will have to do really well to get to the final, better than they have been.

And as good as Klopp, I mean that's patently ridiculous. Gareth Southgate isnt even on the same planet as Klopp

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5933 on: December 2, 2022, 10:01:18 am »
I am not sure how is it in England / UK,but in part of my global region... Gareth Southgate is regarded as good as Jurgen Klopp.

Wow. I don’t think even in Gareth’s household they regard him as good as Klopp.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5934 on: December 2, 2022, 10:07:14 am »
I think Uruguay will sneak a 1-0 and make through. They are solid defensively and Ghana will give a few chances, I can't see Uruguay finishing the group stage without scoring so they will get a goal. I don't see S. Korea getting anything from Portugal, Portugal wins 2-0 imo.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5935 on: December 2, 2022, 10:07:47 am »

At what, making tea? Microwaving beans? Folding waistcoats? Lighting fires? Putting up tents?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5936 on: December 2, 2022, 10:09:13 am »
At what, making tea? Microwaving beans? Folding waistcoats? Lighting fires? Putting up tents?
I think the only thing Gareth is better at would be relegation. Isn’t he the only person to be relegated as a player/club manager and international manager?

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5937 on: December 2, 2022, 10:13:07 am »
Reasons to be hopeful for Germany. They will have Musiala, Moukoko and hopefully Wirtz at the top of their game in a few years. They still have Gnabry and Kimmich. Bella-Kotchap looks really promising  and so does Adeyemi. It’s defence where they’re a wasteland. Not a single top player in sight. They mirror the Bundesliga really, nobody can defend in that league either. Stands to reason they won’t be beasts in international football when they’re not used to it.

Offline ewok-red-97

• Main Stander
  • go easy, step lightly, stay free
« Reply #5938 on: December 2, 2022, 10:18:46 am »
I'm really enjoying this podcast on politics and the world cup. It's from an explicitly left-wing viewpoint. It's covered boycotting the competition, sports-washing, supporting a national team, and loads more!

First episode here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1rHaAP7wp4yPHYGyoNfVF9?si=NPcxO5WjThufcupm_e1r5g

Second here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7yE1bRhB6qvka2InwOTTcK?si=dd8da6bfd54a4db2

And latest one here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4BqmBtcEZSMuJMe5u66VHf?si=3a7a6441918a4525

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5939 on: December 2, 2022, 10:19:47 am »
Reasons to be hopeful for Germany. They will have Musiala, Moukoko and hopefully Wirtz at the top of their game in a few years. They still have Gnabry and Kimmich. Bella-Kotchap looks really promising  and so does Adeyemi. It’s defence where they’re a wasteland. Not a single top player in sight. They mirror the Bundesliga really, nobody can defend in that league either. Stands to reason they won’t be beasts in international football when they’re not used to it.

Isn't Bella-Kotchap a defender?

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5940 on: December 2, 2022, 10:24:27 am »
Isn't Bella-Kotchap a defender?

He’s a prospect. They currently do not have a single top defender, or defensive midfielder. Bundesliga has got by on being fun for a long time but it’s at the detriment of actual tactics now and is killing their teams in Europe and internationally.

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5941 on: December 2, 2022, 10:25:28 am »
Souey was spot on.....that was a dreadful fuckin decision....and this tournament's been full of them.....didn't think it was possible for VAR to get worse than it already was, but somehow they've managed it....

It was an incredible decision. A correct one. I am not a fan of VAR, but VAR should be getting praise in this instance, as it would have denied a legitimate goal, rather than the half conspiracies being pedalled on itv by Souness and Neville.

It goes against the supposed rules too, doesn't it?

The officials on the pitch disallowed the goal. For VAR to overturn it, doesn't it have to be a clear and obvious error? We've seen about 30 different camera angles and not one can categorically prove that the ball stayed in play. So why would they then overturn the original decision and give the goal?

The ball being in/out is not a subjective decision, it is a factual binary one. If it was going into the net, the goal would not have been given by goal line tech. It is an incredibly tight margin, mm's in it.

Here is the actual var video and render:
https://twitter.com/abo_elena_LFC/status/1598486746664243206?s=20&t=WsOnrwx7b3n72feULPZZ9Q

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5942 on: December 2, 2022, 10:33:29 am »
She's not great herself
Still prefer her over Keown.

Talking of him. He's been suggesting the pictures of Japan and whether it went over the line of have been tampered with ;D

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5943 on: December 2, 2022, 11:51:10 am »
Why are people crying over Japan's goal when the ball didn't go out? It's quite clear the ball didn't go out, yet people are giving off about it?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5944 on: December 2, 2022, 11:55:53 am »
Why are people crying over Japan's goal when the ball didn't go out? It's quite clear the ball didn't go out, yet people are giving off about it?

a lot of folks simply aren't smart. or of even average intelligence.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #5945 on: December 2, 2022, 12:00:07 pm »
Souey was spot on.....that was a dreadful fuckin decision....and this tournament's been full of them.....didn't think it was possible for VAR to get worse than it already was, but somehow they've managed it....

In fairness Souness was talking utter bollocks. I think it's fair enough to expect the evidence used to make tight calls available to broadcasters but to infer something underhand is clearly bollocks.

These images where the ball looks clearly out are from an angle. As has been demonstrated, that can be hugely misleading. The only objective footage could either be top down or straight along the line.

The images that have been shared which are.the closest to that do suggest, albeit by an unbelievably narrow margin, that the whole ball hadn't crossed the line. One of the angles was actually shown by broadcasters but others which are clearer have been made available today. The VAR video and render is doing the rounds but is rights protected. FIFA should just release it.

As to whether it's a clear and obvious error, in the case of the ball crossing the line (as with offside) that doesn't come into it. It's objective fact, and the only issue is whether the footage is sufficiently clear or if any key elements are blocked from view by players.

There's literally mm in it but it's not a bad decision, just an incredibly tight one (as it would have been either way).

Online PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #5946 on: December 2, 2022, 12:14:25 pm »
He’s a prospect. They currently do not have a single top defender, or defensive midfielder. Bundesliga has got by on being fun for a long time but it’s at the detriment of actual tactics now and is killing their teams in Europe and internationally.

That is true mostly. Though I do think they have a couple of players who will get better. Raum is a very good left back.

But they definitely lack a top class striker. Even a top solid one like in the past they had with Klose. They lack a finisher. Lots of supply with Sane and Gnabry etc but not finishers.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #5947 on: December 2, 2022, 12:39:45 pm »
Really looking forward to the Ghana v Uruguay game. Hopefully it'll be as entertaining as last nights games.

Uruguay has been woeful so far, but can see this going their way.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #5948 on: December 2, 2022, 01:10:04 pm »
It’s been fun as fuck on TV, which I hate because of the sport washing. I’m sure it’s been a terrible one to attend.
a couple of lads I know went out there and had a brilliant time
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #5949 on: December 2, 2022, 01:21:13 pm »
Really looking forward to the Ghana v Uruguay game. Hopefully it'll be as entertaining as last nights games.

I’m pleased to see Luis is in character for this one.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5950 on: December 2, 2022, 01:25:38 pm »
There’s a sliver of the ball that isn’t over the line it’s not rocket science…

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5951 on: December 2, 2022, 01:27:05 pm »

Same here it’s a great revenge story and it’s crazy it’s not the main match on BBC with Portugal through but with Uruguay involved I’m not sure it’ll be that great of a match to be honest. Hope I’m wrong.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5952 on: December 2, 2022, 01:27:11 pm »

why should he apologize? it was a brilliant play.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2022, 02:52:37 pm by John C »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5953 on: December 2, 2022, 01:34:38 pm »

Nor should he. If a Liverpool player was in the same position, between a certain goal and a red card/pen, I would hope they do the same thing (obvious caveats apply like if it is 5 minutes into the match, take the goal and bet on the team to draw it back). I would expect any team and player to do it.

I see it like the extreme end of the good foul - taking one for the team to stop a good attack. In this case, take a red card and a pen to stop a goal.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2022, 02:52:16 pm by John C »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5954 on: December 2, 2022, 01:42:42 pm »
Nor should he. If a Liverpool player was in the same position, between a certain goal and a red card/pen, I would hope they do the same thing (obvious caveats apply like if it is 5 minutes into the match, take the goal and bet on the team to draw it back). I would expect any team and player to do it.

I see it like the extreme end of the good foul - taking one for the team to stop a good attack. In this case, take a red card and a pen to stop a goal.

Anyone is the same position would do the same thing what Suarez did, it's not his fault Ghana missed the subsequent penalty, the who ha over it is laughable, would anyone bat an eyelid had Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, England, been on the receiving end instead of Ghana :no
#Sausages

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5955 on: December 2, 2022, 01:46:16 pm »
Am looking forward to seeing Henry called up for France when they next play Ireland..... :-X

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5956 on: December 2, 2022, 01:46:27 pm »
Anyone is the same position would do the same thing what Suarez did, it's not his fault Ghana missed the subsequent penalty, the who ha over it is laughable, would anyone bat an eyelid had Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, England, been on the receiving end instead of Ghana :no

If England then absolutely, it would be seen as another Hand of God to the English. But otherwise probably not.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5957 on: December 2, 2022, 01:49:51 pm »
Am looking forward to seeing Henry called up for France when they next play Ireland..... :-X

Henry and Ireland was real bad, and the difference I would say is he didn't get punished. Suarez did - he weighed up the pros and cons and felt a red card and a pen was better than a goal conceded.

It's clever and I don't begrudge any player for making that choice.

I remember Neville did the same thing against us once in the Derby. We were already 2-0 up and scored the pen so not quite the same, but the response was "Yeah of course he did that. It's what you do if you can"

So yeah Suarez in my book was fine to do it. He took his punishment fairly, and in the end the gamble paid off. Tough on Ghana but fair enough in my book.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5958 on: December 2, 2022, 01:51:15 pm »
Hope Suarez goes full villain mode here, dives, snidey fouls, punching the ball into the net then biting someone before he goes off, leaving commentators awestruck at his utter bastardiness.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5959 on: December 2, 2022, 01:52:17 pm »
Hope Suarez goes full villain mode here, dives, snidey fouls, punching the ball into the net then biting someone before he goes off, leaving commentators awestruck at his utter bastardiness.

;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...