Author Topic: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - SELECTION THREAD (NO CHAT)  (Read 5329 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
80s MOVIE DRAFT - SELECTION THREAD (NO CHAT)
« on: August 7, 2022, 06:56:41 pm »

Shamelessly copied from Lastrador's excellent 90's draft, welcome to the next instalment of RAWK's fun series of movie drafts.

Congratulations to Nicholls on his victory in the 90's draft, a well deserved victory. But unfortunately, no time to bask in that as we move onto the 1980's version.

The draft

- Snake format draft.

- Every movie released from 1980 to 1989 is eligible.

- Start times are 10.00am to 11.00pm UK time.

- 2 hours per pick for the first round. 2 hour per pick after the first round but I don't want to be too strict on this.

- Every drafter will have to pick 9 films and state into which one of these categories it falls:

Cat 1. Action/War/Western
Cat 2. Thriller/Crime
Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy
Cat 4. Drama/Romance
Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical
Cat 6. Horror
Cat 7. Sci-Fi
Cat 8. Animation/Family
Cat 9. Wildcard (pick whatever you like)

- I know it's pretty obvious but, only one pick per category and all eight of them have to be completed.

- The genre chosen for the film, must be present on its https://letterboxd.com/ page to be valid.

Example: The Godfather: https://letterboxd.com/film/the-godfather/genres/

In this example, you can choose either drama or crime, but you can't put it on thriller as it's not one of the genres covered.

- Besides the different categories, the drafters will also have to fulfil the following quotas and regulations:

* 5 different years must be represented.
* At least 1 film with a female lead/co-lead.
* Only 1 movie per director.
* No repeated lead actors.

I recommend using letterboxd.com to do your research. It’s an incredibly comprehensive and user-friendly movie database/social media. You can search movies by filtering by decade, year, genre, rating, etc. There are some great lists too, that you can also filter by decade.

https://letterboxd.com/films/decade/1980s/

SELECTION ORDER:

There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

El Lobo - Blade Runner, Top Gun, The Breakfast Club, The Running Man, Big, Stripes, Flash Gordon, Child's Play, They Live
tubby - Ghostbusters, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Scarface, Big Trouble In Little China, Heathers, Spaceballs, The Fly, Clue, The Color of Money
Samie - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rain Man, Bloodsport, Thief, Transformers - The Movie, When Harry Met Sally, Swamp Thing, Cocoon, Tie Me Up! Time Me Down!
dis_1 - Aliens, Gremlins, This is Spinal Tap, Scrooged, Akira, Little Shop of Horrors, Uncle Buck, The Hitcher, Evil Dead 2
Crosby Nick - Back to the Future, The Goonies, Commando, Trading Places, Dirty Dancing, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Uncle Buck, Poltergeist, FINAL PICK REMAINING
Chakan - The Princess Bride, Airplane, The Abyss, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Good Morning Vietnam, Highlander, The Dark Crystal, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Tron
red mongoose - The Empire Strikes Back, The Untouchables, Angel Heart, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spies Like Us, Can't Buy Me Love, Lethal Weapon, Pretty in Pink, Tampopo
Max Powers - The Shining, E.T., Brazil, The Little Mermaid, Come and See, The Elephant Man, Do the Right Thing, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Police Story
Nicholls - The Thing, Die Hard, Dead Poets Society, Grave of the Fireflies, Withnail & I, Blood Simple, The Right Stuff, Videodrome, Platoon
vivabobbygraham - Raging Bull, Repo Man, Glory, Mississippi Burning, The Witches of Eastwick, Time Bandits, Amadeus, When the Wind Blows, The BFG
Hazell - The Terminator, The King of Comedy, Weird Science, Near Dark, Superman II, Coming to America, Labyrinth, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Say Anything
Musketeer Gripweed - Once Upon a Time in America, The Lost Boys, A Fish Called Wanda, The Blue Brothers, Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Long Good Friday, Field of Dreams, Innerspace, The Name of the Rose
Betty Blue - Full Metal Jacket, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior), Stand By Me, Beetlejuice, After Hours, Fright Night, The Karate Kid,  Stop Making Sense
Sheer Magnetism - Robocop, Blue Velvet, My Neighbour Totoro, Paris Texas, Manhunter, Caddyshack, Return of the Jedi, The Killer, Rumble Fish
Lastrador - Predator, Raising Arizona, Blow Out, Escape from New York, Cinema Paradiso, An American Werewolf in London, Midnight Run, The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover, The Neverending Story

We'll start officially on Monday at 12.00pm but obviously picks can be made in the meantime if it's your go.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:20:45 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - SELECTION THREAD (NO CHAT)
« Reply #1 on: August 7, 2022, 10:21:04 pm »
Blade Runner

Category 7 - Sci-Fi

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2022, 07:53:41 am »
Ghostbusters - 1984 - Fantasy

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 8, 2022, 09:52:59 am »
Adventure- Raiders of the Lost Ark

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2022, 03:07:47 pm »
Category 7 Sci-Fi + Female Lead

Aliens (1986)
https://letterboxd.com/film/aliens/

Dir: James Cameron
Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley
Michael Biehn as Dwayne Hicks
Paul Reiser as Carter J. Burke
Lance Henriksen as Bishop

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oSeQQlaCZgU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oSeQQlaCZgU</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zPkMd2nLRzQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zPkMd2nLRzQ</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5vstBC4N_tA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5vstBC4N_tA</a>

one of my fav movies growing up, and still holds up well to this day. had to go for this first with it having such an iconic female lead, couldn't pass up the chance!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2022, 03:11:55 pm »
Nick's pick:

Back to the Future -Sci-Fi

« Last Edit: August 8, 2022, 03:26:13 pm by Hazell »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #6 on: August 8, 2022, 03:17:21 pm »
The Princess Bride 1978 - Animation/Family

It's literally the perfect film.

https://collider.com/why-princess-bride-is-the-perfect-movie/

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2022, 04:27:20 pm »
The Empire Strikes Back - Science Fiction, 1980
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2022, 04:45:21 pm »
The Shining (1980)- Horror

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #9 on: August 8, 2022, 06:25:03 pm »

The Thing
(1982)
Dir. John Carpenter
Starring Kurt Russell

Cat 6. Horror

The 80's was full of great sci-fi and horror films, but this was the perfect marriage of the two genres: its incredible special effects blew me away, a paranoia-rich nightmare helped by Ennio Morricone's chilling score and well-written suspense-filled set-pieces, rounded off by a superb cast, led by cult favourite Kurt Russell, playing 'MacReady'. 
« Last Edit: August 8, 2022, 06:27:30 pm by NICHOLLS1986 »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2022, 07:58:46 pm »
Raging Bull - 1980 - Drama - Dir: Martin Scorcese

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 8, 2022, 08:23:00 pm »
The Terminator - Thriller/Crime & Female lead/co-lead

Director - James Cameron

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2022, 08:29:37 pm »
Crime - Once Upon A Time in America - 1984 - Sergio Leone

I love this movie so much, first time I went to New York this was the first place I wanted to visit. Water Street, Brooklyn. Still have the photo as my screen saver on my phone.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: August 8, 2022, 11:40:34 pm »
Full Metal Jacket - Action/War/Western

I only caught up to watching this a couple of years ago, but boy did it blow my mind. The soundtrack, the cinematography, the performances, the commentary. It also straddles that near impossible line between being profoundly moving, genuinely hilarious, and downright horrific. This film is a complete masterpiece. If you haven't seen it, go watch it right now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KQEDojPZ7YI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KQEDojPZ7YI</a>
« Last Edit: August 8, 2022, 11:46:49 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2022, 12:23:57 am »
RoboCop (1987) - Sci-fi

Time has a tendency to dull the impact of art. As Gary Smith once said about The Pixies' Monkey Gone to Heaven: "How am I supposed to explain to my kids that the world into which Black Francis started screaming still heard it as a scream and not fashion?"

In a similar sense, it's easy to forget what a shock to the senses RoboCop was to an 80's audience weaned on the simple, Reagan-era morality of Arnie and Sly. Paul Verhoeven described the film as his idea of the American Jesus - a cop who's set up to be killed and then resurrected by a malevolent corporation so he can pacify the streets on their behalf, but who ends up overcoming his programming and regaining his soul.

It remains the greatest corporate satire Hollywood has ever produced but that wouldn't mean anything if it was dull, and it's anything but. It's full of unforgettable scenes, brilliant characters, stunning set and costume design (I mean, just look at that suit), killer one-liners and brilliant action set pieces. This one is a case in point. Pretty much nobody who saw it for the first time came away without their mouths hanging open in shock, but the body language, dialogue and uniform grey suits - the film codes grey/silver as OCP - subtly tells you everything you need to know about the company, its politics and the personalities of the main players:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZFvqDaFpXeM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZFvqDaFpXeM</a>

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #15 on: August 9, 2022, 02:54:03 am »
Predator (1987) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western

Raising Arizona (1987) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 9, 2022, 09:22:05 am »
Blue Velvet (1986) - Thriller/Crime

People tend to focus on Blue Velvet's darkness and weirdness but it wouldn't mean much without the beauty, innocence and mystery with which David Lynch contrasts it. A staggeringly original film all round that addresses desire and trauma, and what can happen when those intersect. It's so well put together too. A scene like this one is gorgeous, communicating that first flash of wondrous lust/love, but it also lends meaning to what happens in later scenes as different elements are mirrored and distorted in visual and thematic ways you don't notice until subsequent viewings:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QP-X1eZLEtQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QP-X1eZLEtQ</a>

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17 on: August 9, 2022, 12:44:15 pm »
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Comedy

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 9, 2022, 12:58:50 pm »
Horror - The Lost Boys - 1987

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #19 on: August 9, 2022, 01:24:15 pm »
Repo Man - Sci-Fi - 1984 - Dir: Alex Cox

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 9, 2022, 01:28:23 pm »

Die Hard
(1988)
Dir. John McTiernan
Starring: Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman

Cat 1. Action/War/Western

The purist action film: an adrenaline-fueled ride full of thrills, humour, pulsating action set-pieces from start to finish, multi-quotable dialogue, starring Alan Rickman's loveable bad-guy Hans Gruber, Bruce Willis' quintessential performance as John McClane. If it's on tv, no matter what minute it's on, you'll likely just jump in and watch the rest of the movie. The film has a simple concept, but it's executed perfectly. Yippee-Ki-Yay, Motherf*****!

*also the greatest Christmas film of all time  ;D
« Last Edit: August 9, 2022, 01:46:09 pm by NICHOLLS1986 »

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 9, 2022, 01:38:02 pm »
The King of Comedy - Drama/Romance

Director - Martin Scorsese

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 9, 2022, 03:42:49 pm »
The Untouchables - 1987
Brian De Palma
Thriller/Crime

“What are you prepared to do?”

Probably still in my top 10 films of all time. Endlessly re-watchable. Just a cracking film, with so many memorable set pieces and a pair of supporting performances between Robert De Niro and Sean Connery that casts the former’s duel with Al Pacino in “Heat” deep in its shadow. The setting of Prohibition-era Chicago is as good as it gets.

More than anything, though, the scene on the stairs in the train station is among the best action sequences ever shot. It's up there in cinema history with the Odessa Steps Sequence from "Battleship Potemkin," as hyperbolic as that may seem.

It’s a thrilling ride, surely among the very, very best of the decade.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 9, 2022, 03:51:27 pm »
Airplane! (1980) - Comedy

If you don't love this movie there is something very wrong with you.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 9, 2022, 04:04:12 pm »
E.T. (1982)- Fantasy

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: August 9, 2022, 05:00:59 pm »
The Goonies (1985) - Adventure/Fantasy

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: August 9, 2022, 05:26:31 pm »
Category 3 Adventure/Fantasy

Gremlins (1984)
https://letterboxd.com/film/gremlins/

Dir: Joe Dante
Zach Galligan as Billy Peltzer
Phoebe Cates as Kate Beringer

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XBEVwaJEgaA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XBEVwaJEgaA</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u1QIbENq66w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u1QIbENq66w</a>

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 9, 2022, 05:30:09 pm »
Drama- RAIN MAN

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #28 on: August 9, 2022, 06:13:08 pm »
Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Animation - 1988

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:24:04 am by tubby »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 9, 2022, 06:47:31 pm »
Top Gun

Category 1 - Action

And

The Breakfast Club

Category 4 - Drama

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #30 on: August 9, 2022, 06:56:49 pm »
Scarface - Crime - 1983

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:24:46 am by tubby »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 9, 2022, 07:18:35 pm »
Action- BLOODSPORT

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: August 9, 2022, 07:49:34 pm »
Category 5 Comedy/ Musical

This is Spinal Tap (1984)
https://letterboxd.com/film/this-is-spinal-tap/

Dir: Rob Reiner
Michael McKean as David St. Hubbins
Christopher Guest as Nigel Tufnel
Harry Shearer as Derek Smalls
Rob Reiner as Martin "Marty" Di Bergi
Tony Hendra as Ian Faith

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/N63XSUpe-0o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/N63XSUpe-0o</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ec4jGEgzkJs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ec4jGEgzkJs</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NgViOqGJEvM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NgViOqGJEvM</a>

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #33 on: August 9, 2022, 08:58:39 pm »
Commando (1985) - Thriller

« Last Edit: August 9, 2022, 09:00:17 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 9, 2022, 09:14:06 pm »
The Abyss (1989) - Sci-fi

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 9, 2022, 09:29:49 pm »
Angel Heart - 1987
Alan Parker
Mickey Rourke
Horror

"I know who I am ..."

In the last draft I said that "Miller's Crossing" is my favorite movie, but that's only half true - this is my co-favorite movie of all time. I saw it at least seven times after it came out, especially once it came to the dollar theater. I was sure that Mickey Rourke was going to be the biggest star in the world, the biggest star since the Golden Age of Hollywood - his performance is that impressive. Then you have De Niro stripping away any semblance of humanity you see in his gangster/killer characters and inhabiting pure evil. Then there's Lisa Bonet. There are no words.

It's not a great horror movie - it's a great movie full stop. It's as dark as it gets, but it's also beautiful. This is at least a round or two earlier than I needed to take it, but we all have our priorities. I highly recommend watching this if you haven't before.

"If I could just hold your charms again in my arms ..."

« Last Edit: August 9, 2022, 09:32:12 pm by red mongoose »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 9, 2022, 09:35:14 pm »
Brazil (1985)- Sci-fi

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dht_3NziwSw&amp;ab" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dht_3NziwSw&amp;ab</a>

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 9, 2022, 10:20:52 pm »

One of the most inspirational films of all time…

Dead Poets Society
(1989)
Dir. Peter Weir
Starring Robin Williams

Cat 4. Drama/Romance
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 12:41:07 am by NICHOLLS1986 »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2022, 11:33:44 am »
Hazell picks:

Weird Science - SciFi

Director: John Hughes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2022, 11:43:51 am »
Comedy and female lead - A Fish Called Wanda - 1988