Author Topic: IT Secrets thread!  (Read 16126 times)

Offline dimitri

• Kopite
Re: IT Secrets thread!
« Reply #80 on: July 8, 2022, 10:32:46 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll have a look at that tomorrow.

I downloaded one called Disk Drill this evening and it seemed to recover a few photos and videos, but you have to pay to have a pro edition to recover more than 500mg (recovery was over 4gb - which I was a bit surprised at as it only looked like it found an additional video and handful of photos).

Was the Recuva one free or cheaper at least, as this one wants £89! to get the pro edition so I can download most of what’s been recovered

Try Photorec

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2022, 05:19:38 pm »
A client I'm working for submitted some documents to a firm via a password protected zip file back in 2013 that they cannot remember the password for.

I suggested to my client to contact the original recipient in order to obtain the password but company has since liquidated

Are they beyond recovery or is there a legitimate way to extract the documents from the zip?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2022, 06:09:45 pm »
A client I'm working for submitted some documents to a firm via a password protected zip file back in 2013 that they cannot remember the password for.

I suggested to my client to contact the original recipient in order to obtain the password but company has since liquidated

Are they beyond recovery or is there a legitimate way to extract the documents from the zip?

I've never tried it myself but my understanding is that the password protection on zip files is pretty weak and there are tools out there that can crack them relatively simply given enough time.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2022, 10:32:29 am »
I've never tried it myself but my understanding is that the password protection on zip files is pretty weak and there are tools out there that can crack them relatively simply given enough time.
I'll probably infect my laptop with all kinds trying to find software that can do it.

I'm sure back in the day you could rename zip files to .txt or something and find the password.

I can see all the files within the zip, just can't open or extract them. Very frustrating!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2022, 04:21:28 pm »
Again, this is why you spin up a VM. Keep everything sandboxed.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline chris2006

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: August 1, 2022, 12:11:50 am »
You can dump the hash of the password from a zip archive then attempt to crack it using Hashcat or Johntheripper. Having worked in DFIR for a long time, this kind of practice to gain access to encrypted data quite often works, it just can take time.

If you want a lift with it, drop me a PM.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2022, 12:16:04 am by chris2006 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #86 on: August 1, 2022, 08:34:05 am »
Again, this is why you spin up a VM. Keep everything sandboxed.

VMs are old hat mate. Docker is what you want.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2022, 12:58:34 pm »
ive not got into Docker yet, is it CPU intensive? im a .net developer/manager.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2022, 04:44:42 pm »
ive not got into Docker yet, is it CPU intensive? im a .net developer/manager.

Barely noticeable on a modern machine, depending on what you're doing

You can also play with Kubernetes for free on your local machine (Look at Docker Desktop, Kind or Minikube)

Kind is good because you can try out multi-clusters on just your own machine and even build a microservices system that you can try out locally before you deploy wherever

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline glasgowsmvp

• Kopite
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2022, 01:32:52 pm »
12ft.io to get around TheAthetic pay wall :D

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2022, 12:12:07 pm »
VMs are old hat mate. Docker is what you want.
Soooo.. I created a VM running SQL express on an ubuntu 20.04 box. All working beautifully.
Now I'm trying to test a back up and restore.  BUT I can't install another copy of sql on ubuntu. A chain of errors :(
So I'm going to try docker.  I'm starting up a VM with docker preinstalled.  How would I connect to the container (ideally from windows) , to tell it to pull and start a sql image?  I assume all I need is the IP address of the VM host and the root login.
( I am assuming of course that the container isolates me from nasty messages about not being able to find mssql or outdated keychain bollox)

Not using a windows host as I'm cheap. Though I may give up soon , because time is money...
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2022, 01:20:46 pm »
Soooo.. I created a VM running SQL express on an ubuntu 20.04 box. All working beautifully.
Now I'm trying to test a back up and restore.  BUT I can't install another copy of sql on ubuntu. A chain of errors :(
So I'm going to try docker.  I'm starting up a VM with docker preinstalled.  How would I connect to the container (ideally from windows) , to tell it to pull and start a sql image?  I assume all I need is the IP address of the VM host and the root login.
( I am assuming of course that the container isolates me from nasty messages about not being able to find mssql or outdated keychain bollox)

Not using a windows host as I'm cheap. Though I may give up soon , because time is money...

Install WSL

Upgrade WSL to WSL 2

Install docker desktop

Allow Docker Desktop to use WSL2

COMMANDS:

docker pull mcr.microsoft.com/mssql/server:2019-latest

docker run -e "ACCEPT_EULA=Y" -e "SA_PASSWORD=34r0TNhvgOde" -p 1433:1433 --name sql2019 -h sql2019 -d mcr.microsoft.com/mssql/server:2019-latest

(More info here: https://theserogroup.com/sql-server/getting-started-with-sql-server-in-a-docker-container/   and this shows you how to set up a backup/restore as well)

To get started with Docker/Kubernetes, I'd recommend this excellent course: https://www.udemy.com/course/docker-kubernetes-the-practical-guide/

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:25:55 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 1, 2022, 04:08:07 pm »
I have a wireless keyboard and on startup of my computer, the F keys on the keyboard always default to the function rather than the F key. So for example when my computer starts, F5 acts as a pause/play button for audio rather than F5 for refresh. I can fix this by pressing a function button which makes the F keys act as F keys.

Is there a way I can make it so the keyboard uses F keys as default rather than the functions? Its annoying me that if I leave the computer for a period of time and come back to it, the keyboard has reverted again (Im assuming due to disconnected from the PC during idle time to save power)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #93 on: September 2, 2022, 10:33:18 am »
I have a wireless keyboard and on startup of my computer, the F keys on the keyboard always default to the function rather than the F key. So for example when my computer starts, F5 acts as a pause/play button for audio rather than F5 for refresh. I can fix this by pressing a function button which makes the F keys act as F keys.

Is there a way I can make it so the keyboard uses F keys as default rather than the functions? Its annoying me that if I leave the computer for a period of time and come back to it, the keyboard has reverted again (Im assuming due to disconnected from the PC during idle time to save power)

Depends on the make and model of the keyboard

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #94 on: September 2, 2022, 02:18:38 pm »
Depends on the make and model of the keyboard

It’s a VTech.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2022, 11:21:55 am »
IT folks, I need advice.  I'm starting a new job next week where I'll be working from home and they use VoIP phones (whatever they are), but are insisting the phone has a wired connection.

My router is downstairs and my "office" is upstairs.  Virgin can move my connection point to upstairs, but I've got a couple of devices downstairs that I really want to keep on wired connections.  I did suggest a wireless adapter for the phone but my new employer said they've had a lot of problems with those in the past and are really pushing for it to be wired.

Are there any other options here?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2022, 11:25:46 am »
Power line is your friend.
I think I have the right name. And you'll be very confused if I haven't. But those special plugs that go in a mains socket and then send your signal over that. I think they can be got for twenty quid a pair, but I've not looked so budget a bit higher.  Might be worth checking with the company they are fine with that.

--edit--. If it's just the phone you need wired upstairs I'd buy a pair , leave the router downstairs and use them for the phone. Actually . I think I might have a spare pair. Pm if you want them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 11:29:25 am by PaulF »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2022, 11:29:17 am »
Power line is your friend.
I think I have the right name. And you'll be very confused if I haven't. But those special plugs that go in a mains socket and then send your signal over that. I think they can be got for twenty quid a pair, but I've not looked so budget a bit higher.  Might be worth checking with the company they are fine with that.

Wouldn't that be the same as a wireless adapter with an ethernet port though?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2022, 11:29:49 am »
Wouldn't that be the same as a wireless adapter with an ethernet port though?
No. The wireless adapter will still use your WiFi signal

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2022, 11:37:04 am »
No. The wireless adapter will still use your WiFi signal

Oh, so it's two plugs?  One connected to the router, through the mains and then out through a second plug?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2022, 11:44:42 am »
Oh, so it's two plugs?  One connected to the router, through the mains and then out through a second plug?
Exactly it.  -- Unless you live is some sort of mansion with lots of separate mains circuits.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2022, 12:05:35 pm »
Exactly it.  -- Unless you live is some sort of mansion with lots of separate mains circuits.

Ha I wish.  Thanks, will check it out.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2022, 01:46:21 pm »
I couldn't live without my power lines.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lalesa

• Kemlynite
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2022, 02:30:16 am »
Not sure what you mean? If you use python, you'll want pip. If you use node.js then you'll want npm

WSL2 is literally Ubuntu running on your machine (That you can use directly with stuff like Docker)

brew and chcolately are available and let you install stuff to your Ubuntu WSL2 instance or Powershell

I use Docker and Kubernetes all the time on my own machne for testing (Mac/Windows)
Great info! Thanks for sharing this. I've just started learning Node.js, so I appreciate any helpful advice. Though I'm currently doing an online course, I need to self-teach. Of course, there is a great number of useful sources out there, but it is always great to learn from the experience of others.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 10:31:38 am by Lalesa »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2022, 07:18:42 pm »
Great info! Thanks for sharing this. I've just started learning Node.js, so I appreciate any helpful advice. Though I'm currently doing an online course, I need to self-teach. Of course, there is a great number of useful sources out there, but it is always great to learn from the experience of others.

NIce one

Happy to ping messages in here if you get stuck or point you at resources.

It really is fascinating stuff. Good luck on your journey. It's great fun! :)

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2022, 10:26:03 pm »
I can't work out what node.js actually is. The description makes it sound like a webserver, but it seems to be often used as a sort of compiler \ linker \ way to join packages together.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2022, 11:49:25 pm »
I can't work out what node.js actually is. The description makes it sound like a webserver, but it seems to be often used as a sort of compiler \ linker \ way to join packages together.

It's Javascript

Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node.js

It's package manager is npm.

If you follow this, you can build a node.js environment on your machine and then create and run a Docker Container:

https://www.docker.com/blog/getting-started-with-docker-using-node-jspart-i/

That should make it a bit clearer.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2022, 09:20:54 am »
It's Javascript

Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node.js

It's package manager is npm.

If you follow this, you can build a node.js environment on your machine and then create and run a Docker Container:

https://www.docker.com/blog/getting-started-with-docker-using-node-jspart-i/

That should make it a bit clearer.
I'm using it with my React JS development. Sometimes I just hope I could BUILD things offline.

Every single time need to run an NPM, bloody not going to work without Internet.

Was from PHP background previously, it's all good even without Internet (EXCEPT when my boss started to request us using Laravel)... Eerrgghh NPM again.

I could happily develop my back-end right with dotNET even offline, only need a connection when I want to deploy it to a server.

p/s: But yes, I admit that Laravel is awesome though. Hhhuuugggeeee community.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Lalesa

• Kemlynite
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2022, 10:32:20 am »
NIce one

Happy to ping messages in here if you get stuck or point you at resources.

It really is fascinating stuff. Good luck on your journey. It's great fun! :)
Thanks a lot!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2022, 12:25:19 pm »
Having an absolute mare with an old laptop of my Dad's that he wants to be usable. The HDD was fucked so he replaced it with one he got from another laptop which has the delights of windows vista on it. I've tried making a bootable USB with win10 on it about 10 times now, the only time it actually picked it up it said something like 'non-system disk error' and did nothing. I've got the iso for 32bit, but what format should it be in? I've tried FAT, exFAT, MS-DOS. I'm wondering if there's something daft I'm missing or do I need to get my hands on a win10 dvd?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2022, 12:47:23 pm »
Having an absolute mare with an old laptop of my Dad's that he wants to be usable. The HDD was fucked so he replaced it with one he got from another laptop which has the delights of windows vista on it. I've tried making a bootable USB with win10 on it about 10 times now, the only time it actually picked it up it said something like 'non-system disk error' and did nothing. I've got the iso for 32bit, but what format should it be in? I've tried FAT, exFAT, MS-DOS. I'm wondering if there's something daft I'm missing or do I need to get my hands on a win10 dvd?

Go to this site and get the Installation Media Tool and follow the instructions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If you have a Windows key, you can put it on when installed

If you boot from the USB, you'll need to update the BIOS and you might need to set it up for UEFI

I'm not really understanding why you don't just format the harddrive that's in or buy a new one if it's knacked?

Have a read of this for more tips: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-setup-used-windows-10-pc#create_bootable_media
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:49:30 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2022, 01:31:24 pm »

Is the BIOS definitely configured to read from the USB slot first and not the HDD or DVD Drive?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2022, 02:11:47 pm »
I don't have a windows machine that I can use the media creation tool with, work machines are locked down so I'm using a Mac/terminal to do it, I've done it before but newer machines, this is from like 2008. It's a Dell Studio 1735.

How can I format it from the machine it's in? I know you can do that prior to a windows install from a bootable cos I'm sure I've done that before but this is like pulling teeth.

Is the BIOS definitely configured to read from the USB slot first and not the HDD or DVD Drive?

yeah, I've been in the bios and re-ordered it.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2022, 03:44:57 pm »
I don't have a windows machine that I can use the media creation tool with, work machines are locked down so I'm using a Mac/terminal to do it, I've done it before but newer machines, this is from like 2008. It's a Dell Studio 1735.

How can I format it from the machine it's in? I know you can do that prior to a windows install from a bootable cos I'm sure I've done that before but this is like pulling teeth.

yeah, I've been in the bios and re-ordered it.

Do you have the ISO file?

If so, I always use Rufus to make a bootable USB. Just format using Rufus (if BIOS is set to UEFI make sure to choose a compatible format type) and point it at the ISO file.

https://rufus.ie/en/

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2022, 03:49:55 pm »
Can only use a Mac to create them so don't think I can use that. I don't think the Mac is the problem, it might be legacy bios so at least have something I can look into.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2022, 04:24:14 pm »
Does the laptop boot up with the Vista OS on it?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2022, 05:30:28 pm »
Yeah, it boots from the hdd. I'm trying it again now, think I need fat32 + mbr. Why is windows such a pain in the hoop.

for Node.js chat - Ryan Dahl is on this week's syntax podcast. - https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/syntax-tasty-web-development-treats/id1253186678?i=1000586698199

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2022, 05:36:33 pm »
If it boots from the Vista HDD then no need for the bootable ISO. Just run the setup file from Windows Explorer and it will copy all of the install files across, reboot and install.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2022, 05:38:39 pm »
FAT32 is limited to 4GB and I’m sure the Win10 iso is about 5GB?