Author Topic: IT Secrets thread!  (Read 16141 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: IT Secrets thread!
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2022, 05:43:48 pm »
If it boots from the Vista HDD then no need for the bootable ISO. Just run the setup file from Windows Explorer and it will copy all of the install files across, reboot and install.

I tried, it said it can't install from there and to use bootable media or upgrade to I guess win7. It's not gonna beat me.

FAT32 is limited to 4GB and I’m sure the Win10 iso is about 5GB?

it's 4.3 and I checked the install.wim is less than 4gb.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2022, 06:52:38 pm »
failed again, 'no boot sector on usb device', wondering whether to put linux on it so it'd at least be usable.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2022, 07:25:23 pm »
Does sound to me like it’s an issue with the MBR on the USB drive. I’m like you though I’d absolutely fucking refuse to let it beat me.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2022, 07:53:40 pm »
I think we are team don't let it win.
Firstly have you tried leaving it next to the Mac for an hour? I'm sure the goodies of apple will cross the ether and fix the PC in question .

Also I suspect 2008 machine won't have uefi issues. Could be wrong though.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2022, 07:54:50 pm »
I guess if you can create a bootable Linux USB you are 80 % there.

--edit-- I guess nobody has dvd drives any more. Let alone bootable ones
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2022, 08:20:51 pm »
2008 laptops still had DVD drives. Back in 2013/2014 when I was procuring Dell kit for a council they still had the drives on.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2022, 08:52:42 am »
Yeah it's got a dvd drive and more ports than I'd care to name, it's absolutely huge!

Plan of attack today is either getting a win7 iso and doing things baby steps style or dual booting my mac with windows10 to try create the USB.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2022, 09:43:36 am »
NERDS!!!!!

Windows logo key + Shift + Left Arrow or Right Arrow

"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2022, 09:01:54 pm »
Yeah it's got a dvd drive and more ports than I'd care to name, it's absolutely huge!

Plan of attack today is either getting a win7 iso and doing things baby steps style or dual booting my mac with windows10 to try create the USB.
I think I may have a Windows 7 iso. Shout if you need.  Which is why I was asking about dvd drive.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2022, 07:02:37 pm »
I think I may have a Windows 7 iso. Shout if you need.  Which is why I was asking about dvd drive.

Cheers, I don't know why it's still available being so out of support but I downloaded it from the Microsoft site, now installed win7 and the fucker finally has some working drivers so online! Hoping I can create something bootable or just upgrade to win10 from there. It did not defeat me!

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2022, 07:06:10 pm »
Nice work!
I've gone 7 to 10 numerous times.
Paid for a license through cdkeys.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2022, 10:36:41 am »
On my laptop docking station I have a dual monitor setup, with each connected independently via displayport. There is a spare VGA port on the dock which I'd like to use to hook up to a third monitor.

Problem is my monitor does not have a VGA port, only HDMI & displayport. Is there a VGA to displayport or VGA to HDMI cable I can use?

My searches have only found cables where the VGA port has to be at the monitor end. Perhaps what I want isn't possible.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2022, 11:34:31 am »
Yeah it's possible, just need to use something like this which is specifically for a VGA source to a HDMI monitor

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2022, 11:43:52 am »
On my laptop docking station I have a dual monitor setup, with each connected independently via displayport. There is a spare VGA port on the dock which I'd like to use to hook up to a third monitor.

Problem is my monitor does not have a VGA port, only HDMI & displayport. Is there a VGA to displayport or VGA to HDMI cable I can use?

My searches have only found cables where the VGA port has to be at the monitor end. Perhaps what I want isn't possible.

As an alternative that doesn't use crappy VGA, have you checked if either of your existing monitors support Display Port daisy chaining?

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2022, 10:39:41 am »
As an alternative that doesn't use crappy VGA, have you checked if either of your existing monitors support Display Port daisy chaining?
You know what, I didnt even know daisy chaining was possible with monitors in such a way! I don't believe mine are compatible though as they only have 1 displayport each (lg-23EA63V)

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2022, 10:40:10 am »
Yeah it's possible, just need to use something like this which is specifically for a VGA source to a HDMI monitor
Thank you

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 3, 2022, 06:03:41 pm »
Cheers, I don't know why it's still available being so out of support but I downloaded it from the Microsoft site, now installed win7 and the fucker finally has some working drivers so online! Hoping I can create something bootable or just upgrade to win10 from there. It did not defeat me!

Did you beat it into submission?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 5, 2022, 12:54:52 pm »
Did you beat it into submission?

yep, all good now, doubled it's ram and gave it a clean out and seems happy.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2022, 07:33:51 am »

https://github.com/dgtlmoon/changedetection.io
Just want to share this awesome free project I found. Personally I installed it on my Linux home server using docker and can be installed on Windows or the cloud etc. Basically this software monitor part of a webpage for changes and send you a notification. For example you can watch a product price and if the price drops you get an email or Whatsapp messages. You can get notified when a new listing appear or tickets become available and so on. Basically you can monitor anything you want.

https://github.com/Rongronggg9/RSS-to-Telegram-Bot
Another one is this Telgram bot. I created a Telegram channel only for me and used this bot to subscribe to feeds. Now I don't need to go to Twitter or Instagram or news website. Whenever a Twitter accounts I specified or an Instagram accounts post something or an article appear at websites I follow this bot will send it to me all at one window.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2022, 11:13:18 am »
oooh, can I get whatapp messages for the transfer thread?

joking aside, it'd be good to be able to follow threads without posting. Some are interesting for a while, then clutter up the unread messages forever more..

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2022, 12:56:43 pm »
https://github.com/dgtlmoon/changedetection.io
Just want to share this awesome free project I found. Personally I installed it on my Linux home server using docker and can be installed on Windows or the cloud etc. Basically this software monitor part of a webpage for changes and send you a notification. For example you can watch a product price and if the price drops you get an email or Whatsapp messages. You can get notified when a new listing appear or tickets become available and so on. Basically you can monitor anything you want.

https://github.com/Rongronggg9/RSS-to-Telegram-Bot
Another one is this Telgram bot. I created a Telegram channel only for me and used this bot to subscribe to feeds. Now I don't need to go to Twitter or Instagram or news website. Whenever a Twitter accounts I specified or an Instagram accounts post something or an article appear at websites I follow this bot will send it to me all at one window.

Nice :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2023, 10:17:21 am »
Can anyone recommend some screen mirroring software for PC?

My lad has his GCSE's coming up and I want to make sure he's revising. He's a nightmare for blagging that he's doing it but then not. In an ideal world id cut off his PC internet between certain hours so he can focus on revision but you just don't know if they genuinely need a connection for certain revision. Thats his claim anyway

Anyways I just need something so I can easily see his screen(s) on my phone at a quick glance if anyone knows of anything.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2023, 09:08:43 am »
Splashtop is great though there may be more SECRET ways of doing it

It'll have a taskbar icon

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2023, 11:38:57 pm »
Can anyone recommend some screen mirroring software for PC?

My lad has his GCSE's coming up and I want to make sure he's revising. He's a nightmare for blagging that he's doing it but then not. In an ideal world id cut off his PC internet between certain hours so he can focus on revision but you just don't know if they genuinely need a connection for certain revision. Thats his claim anyway

Anyways I just need something so I can easily see his screen(s) on my phone at a quick glance if anyone knows of anything.

www.creepydomineeringstalkingweirdo.com

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2023, 09:15:06 am »
Anyone use Microsoft forms?

I want to create a form that divides the results into excel, either by sheet or a new document, depending on the first answer

For example "Who do you support?" then every time someone chooses Liverpool it goes into one list, and if you choose Everton it goes into a different list.

Is this possible without Power Automate?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2023, 12:53:14 pm »
Anyone use Microsoft forms?

I want to create a form that divides the results into excel, either by sheet or a new document, depending on the first answer

For example "Who do you support?" then every time someone chooses Liverpool it goes into one list, and if you choose Everton it goes into a different list.

Is this possible without Power Automate?

I'm pretty sure there is a feature called branching that facilitates this. Look into it.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2023, 02:34:34 pm »
What's wrong with using Power Automate for this? I imagine it would be fairly easy.
:D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2023, 04:53:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure there is a feature called branching that facilitates this. Look into it.
There is….

You just have to find the branching function and use that..  works nicely
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2023, 07:06:20 pm »
What's wrong with using Power Automate for this? I imagine it would be fairly easy.

Don’t think I can use it without my work company signing up for it.

Thanks, will look it up!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 1, 2023, 05:36:25 pm »
My sister has a @hotmail.co.uk email address. When I email her (I have an @gmail.com account), I have no issues however when others have emailed her previously - their email has got through but they've have received a postmaster reply from something completely not related to her or her account.

For example when my dad emails her, she receives the email fine, but he gets the following sent back to him:

Sent: 27 April 2023 15:36
To: General@arvatofs.co <General@arvatofs.co>
Subject: Undeliverable: test

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
General@arvatofs.co
Your message couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System (DNS) reported that the recipient's domain does not exist.
Contact the recipient by some other means (by phone, for example) and ask them to tell their email admin that it appears that their domain isn't properly registered at their domain registrar. Give them the error details shown below. It's likely that the recipient's email admin is the only one who can fix this problem.
For more information and tips to fix this issue see this article: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=389361.

It looks like there is some kind of forwarding service on her email to this other account? Anyone got any ideas?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 2, 2023, 07:58:14 am »
that address is a debt management company so that's certainly very weird.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 2, 2023, 04:19:45 pm »
that address is a debt management company so that's certainly very weird.
Yeah it is very weird. I've logged in to her email account and sent test emails from different computers and had the same result too. I was testing to see if it was malware on her computer. Seems to be linked to her account somehow

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 2, 2023, 09:10:40 pm »
Is defender on windows good enough antivirus? Is it worth paying for a different product? If so any recommendations?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #153 on: May 2, 2023, 09:13:42 pm »
Is defender on windows good enough antivirus? Is it worth paying for a different product? If so any recommendations?

Not really, I use Avast. It's free and usually gets mostly everything.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 2, 2023, 09:15:04 pm »
Defender is fine, never had an issue.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #155 on: May 3, 2023, 08:53:06 am »

Norton 360 is good and you can install it on a ton of devices for you and your family.

Offers customised protection and power tools for sorting out common issues in the background as well as backups, anti-virus, VPN, firewalls..

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #156 on: May 3, 2023, 04:52:32 pm »

Yes it's good enough, definitely no need to pay for one.  Once over when it was first introduced it wasn't great, but over the years it has vastly improved which has reflected in recent evaluations by Independent labs that test AV products.  Can see some of them here

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 5, 2023, 09:05:22 pm »
Norton 360 is good and you can install it on a ton of devices for you and your family.

We'd advise don't permit all extensions though wouldn't we mate, Norton can dominate and slow the fuck out of everything. I hate it :)

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 5, 2023, 10:02:44 pm »
Cheers folks. Im going to stick with defender as it's no effort.
Also started to use the Google VPN I get for paying for Google space. I don't see what threat it's protecting me from though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2023, 07:04:56 am »
We'd advise don't permit all extensions though wouldn't we mate, Norton can dominate and slow the fuck out of everything. I hate it :)

I hear that, but I have it installed on all my Windows boxes and my Mac boxes and none of them are slowed down. Even on my older machines. Mine includes the Norton Utilities that does the opposite of slowing stuff down.

Maybe the issue is that people have bloatware/crap installed. I turn off most Apple and Windows services and that dramatically improves performance.