Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions  (Read 131782 times)

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #1640 on: December 21, 2022, 05:26:06 pm »
The Specials….

Weren’t.
The Specials were great. Pretty much reinvented ska by combining it with punk and sang about the lives of actual 22-year olds. That's before you get on to the unique greatness (if not always accessibility) of tunes like Ghost Town, Stereotype, International Jet Set and The Boiler.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1641 on: December 21, 2022, 06:10:47 pm »
The Specials were great. Pretty much reinvented ska by combining it with punk and sang about the lives of actual 22-year olds. That's before you get on to the unique greatness (if not always accessibility) of tunes like Ghost Town, Stereotype, International Jet Set and The Boiler.
I didn’t  like them….

It’s called unpopular opinions for a reason!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1642 on: December 21, 2022, 06:11:51 pm »
I didn’t  like them….

It’s called unpopular opinions for a reason!

What does it say about you that you seem to be best at coming up with actually unpopular opinions?  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1643 on: December 21, 2022, 06:13:13 pm »
What does it say about you that you seem to be best at coming up with actually unpopular opinions?  ;D
A sign of my genius ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1644 on: December 21, 2022, 06:37:58 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
W

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1646 on: December 21, 2022, 06:47:13 pm »
Ska never did it for me, especially ska covers, none of them improve over the original.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1647 on: December 21, 2022, 06:47:49 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1648 on: December 21, 2022, 07:37:26 pm »
The Specials….

Weren’t.
I wasn't a fan either. I did like three songs by them though, which is good going really because I loathed Ska / 2Tone and couldn't relate to it at all.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1649 on: December 21, 2022, 08:40:35 pm »
The Specials….

Weren’t.

The best song The Specials never wrote:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HnpY2vCwvU0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HnpY2vCwvU0</a>
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1650 on: December 21, 2022, 08:53:48 pm »
Indeed, they all did it, even T-Rex [the band, not Jordan Pickford ;)] lifted Chuck Berrys, Little Queenie, for Get It On.

Yes, Bolan came clean about that and even inc the lyric 'meanwhile I'm still thinking' as a nod to Little Queenie on the outro to Get It On.

Marc went a step further though with his last big chart success I Love To Boogie which was a full scale blatant rip off of Teenage Boogie by Webb Pierce.

This one went to court but was chucked out on the fact Teenage Boogie itself was based on a lifted riff/chord structure.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: December 22, 2022, 12:44:38 pm »
Christmas is bad for Industry,
Bad for health treatment
Forces the consumption of shit food
unwanted relatives "popping round"

Its a servant of the anti growth coalition

Ban this filth
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1652 on: December 22, 2022, 01:31:48 pm »
Christmas is bad for Industry,
Bad for health treatment
Forces the consumption of shit food
unwanted relatives "popping round"

Its a servant of the anti growth coalition

Ban this filth

♫...and a haaaapppppy neeeeeewwwww yeeeaaaaarrrrr ♫

;D
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1653 on: December 22, 2022, 01:33:47 pm »

;D

;D I was gonna say "♫...And a Partridge in a Pear Tree...♫ ' but that also works.

EDIT: One for the Christmas Carol for Roy Hodgson thread, maybe?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:36:21 pm by Jacob Marley's Coming To Town! »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: December 22, 2022, 01:37:32 pm »

;D

;D  And to you pal
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: December 30, 2022, 01:15:44 pm »
Andrew Tate isn't as big of a c*nt as he's made out to be

Definitely comes out with some ill-informed shite, and is undoubtedly overdoing the macho gimmick, but there's far worse than him out there

He has been arrested over human trafficking.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: December 30, 2022, 01:25:21 pm »
Yeah that comment hasn't aged well.  ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1657 on: December 30, 2022, 02:04:08 pm »
Yeah that comment hasn't aged well.  ;D

So Billy was correct, then, really; quite the unpopular opinion, it was...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1658 on: January 14, 2023, 09:14:38 am »
Music. Don't know if it's an age thing but it carries far less importance as years go by.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1659 on: January 14, 2023, 09:25:35 am »
Music. Don't know if it's an age thing but it carries far less importance as years go by.

I feel music becomes more personal as you get older. You stop following trends and start liking things that some of your peers don't, while also stepping back to the tunes that bring back memories.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1660 on: January 14, 2023, 09:35:36 am »
I feel music becomes more personal as you get older. You stop following trends and start liking things that some of your peers don't, while also stepping back to the tunes that bring back memories.
Yeah apart from my walks and gym I don't intentionally listen to music anymore. The days of who is number one has no importance and if I didn't listen to specific songs / individuals I liked then I wouldn't. Find myself listening to same songs constantly. In car rarely have music on.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1661 on: January 14, 2023, 01:06:56 pm »
My unpopular opinion: I don't mind the teams being leaked early
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1662 on: January 14, 2023, 02:45:53 pm »

I dont think Ive really excited by a song recorded in this millennial.  I used to love music, bought an Album pretty much once a week and went to a gig once a month.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1663 on: January 14, 2023, 02:46:43 pm »
My unpopular opinion: I don't mind the teams being leaked early

Yeah doesn't bother me either.  Unless we're doing something drastically different, everyone knows how we're likely to set up and who will play anyway.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1664 on: January 14, 2023, 04:31:22 pm »
Football is a really rubbish sport that possibly should be banned or something.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: January 14, 2023, 04:34:53 pm »

I really wish they would.

How do I get rid of a 50 year addiction?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1666 on: January 14, 2023, 04:59:14 pm »
I really wish they would.

How do I get rid of a 50 year addiction?

I tried to give up and not care but even today I went for a walk when the match was on and ended up checking my phone for the scores.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1667 on: January 14, 2023, 05:18:24 pm »
I tried to give up and not care but even today I went for a walk when the match was on and ended up checking my phone for the scores.
[/quote

It's harder than giving up smoking.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1668 on: January 14, 2023, 06:31:32 pm »
I used to listen to a music station every day in my 1-hour-ish drive to work.

then one day it suddenly hit me that I was leaving the news station on more and more.  my interest in "keeping up" with music basically disappeared.
I was in my early 50's.  and it's never come back.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1669 on: January 14, 2023, 06:38:30 pm »
I used to listen to a music station every day in my 1-hour-ish drive to work.

then one day it suddenly hit me that I was leaving the news station on more and more.  my interest in "keeping up" with music basically disappeared.
I was in my early 50's.  and it's never come back.

The news is too depressing in the UK to listen to.

I don't keep up with modern music, but I listen to classic rock nearly all day. I'm going through a Chris Cornell/Janes Addiction/Faith No More/Kate Bush phase at the minute, but there are so many bands I can listen to from the 60's to the 90's that I can swap and change what I listen to.

I'd struggle without music to be honest
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1670 on: January 15, 2023, 08:39:47 am »

I’m finding the opposite. It’s becoming more of an emotional thing for me. I’ve definitely become more selective as I’ve aged, but that’s only heightened my enjoyment.

These past 3 years I’ve been suffering sudden and unexplained hearing loss that is most likely permanent. It could keep getting worse. Losing music would be beyond catastrophic for me.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1671 on: January 15, 2023, 09:49:15 am »
I dont think Ive really excited by a song recorded in this millennial.

my interest in "keeping up" with music basically disappeared.

Autotune making a lot of modern 'mainstream' music feel flat. That, and the internet changing the way music finds its way into the public consciousness. Both changes that started around 2000 and accelerated wildly since.

Which isn't to say that there isn't still brilliant music being written and produced today, it's just that you're unlikely to find it listening to the radio.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1672 on: January 15, 2023, 10:14:51 am »
The monoculture was, in certain ways, better than this everything-anywhere-always-available time

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: January 15, 2023, 02:07:43 pm »
The monoculture was, in certain ways, better than this everything-anywhere-always-available time
I get your point. monoculture is far from ideal, but the pendulum has swung too much.

we now have echo-chamber isolation where people become more and more entrenched in one viewpoint and over time become unaware of even the existence (never mind merits) of alternative views.

not just talking music/culture here of course.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1674 on: January 15, 2023, 02:18:39 pm »

Yeah unless people have got far, far, far, far more time than I have then music is very much background these days.

Still like having a twang on the guitar, a bit of karaoke and a muck about with my keyboard/drums, but not really got any time to listen to any of it.

Maybe when I retire :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1675 on: January 15, 2023, 02:23:04 pm »

The game is so clearly and obviously manufactured - the 'decision' yesterday was crafted to engage a title race between the top clubs.

People in recent polls I've seen about are getting bored with it. The perception is that the game has been bought out by the likes of City and it's getting boring.

If City had won yesterday then that would have gone a long way with them going on a run and Liverpool aren't at it, Arsenal will obviously fall off a cliff and the others around them are basically not very good at present.

The Premier League eyes must have lit up when they let that goal stand.

I've been watching less and less of it and have got to the stage where I only put the football on when it's us. I don't watch the previews. I turn over at half time, then watch the second half and turn it off.

Football is shite thesedays. If it weren't for me being a ST then I'd deffo gib it.

There isn't even any slight pretence that it's not fixed any more. Watching games thesedays is like watch the Harlem Globetrotters or Big Daddy v Giant Haystacks.

Complete fabrication.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: January 15, 2023, 02:23:53 pm »
Yeah unless people have got far, far, far, far more time than I have then music is very much background these days.

Still like having a twang on the guitar, a bit of karaoke and a muck about with my keyboard/drums, but not really got any time to listen to any of it.

Maybe when I retire :)
nah, between the arthritis and the hearing aids .....

:)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1677 on: January 15, 2023, 04:05:26 pm »
Horses are bad enough but they still race dogs?

my god. Scuzzy entertainment , at least bareknuckle boxing has consent

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: January 15, 2023, 04:07:57 pm »
Horses are bad enough but they still race dogs?

my god. Scuzzy entertainment , at least bareknuckle boxing has consent
it's those poor likkel wabbits I feel bad for.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1679 on: January 16, 2023, 06:10:28 am »
Liverpool fans are overrated
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D