Author Topic: Caoimhín Kelleher  (Read 165993 times)

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Camomile Kelleher
« Reply #120 on: December 2, 2020, 08:51:40 am »
Pronounced Quee veen, Its Irish for Kevin
That's it. Kevin it is for me now.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #121 on: December 2, 2020, 09:00:46 am »

It's pronounced  Kwee-veen I think

Ah thanks. I thought it was more like "Come in".
YNWA

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: December 2, 2020, 09:05:27 am »
Ballsy selection choice by manager - he did very well. confident  game - he could cement his place  as no 2 over next few games.
lovely to see the quality, assurance, confidence o f the kids stepping up last night.

Klopp (keeping staff)  & Kelleher - plus defenders in front of him - deserve a lot  of credit

Good confident distribution of ball and some good saves.
one small mis judgment of a cross - which did not amount to much - where as Curtis Jones scored a great goal from a mis judgment of cross to back post. Something to work on.

Really pleased for the lad. Well done & keep it up in next game.
Could save us money if he steps up into number 2 role.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2020, 09:44:18 am by dutchkop »

Offline jc2002

• Main Stander
« Reply #123 on: December 2, 2020, 09:18:53 am »
"Pronounced Quee veen, Its Irish for Kevin"

To be more accurate Kevin is the English for Caoimhín, meaning of dear or noble birth. Originally it tended to be confined to Irish people or those of Irish descent like Kevin McCarthy or Joseph Kevin Keegan before spreading into the general population.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #124 on: December 2, 2020, 09:24:31 am »
"Pronounced Quee veen, Its Irish for Kevin"

To be more accurate Kevin is the English for Caoimhín, meaning of dear or noble birth. Originally it tended to be confined to Irish people or those of Irish descent like Kevin McCarthy or Joseph Kevin Keegan before spreading into the general population.
I presume the majority of us all Googled that last night then? :D

He was confident and made a few really good saves so deserves to start again on Sunday, if Alisson is still unavailable.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #125 on: December 2, 2020, 09:24:34 am »
Ah thanks. I thought it was more like "Come in".
Irish/Gaelic spelling does seem a pain in the Erse  ;)

But in fact it's very regular and predictable once you know the rules
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #126 on: December 2, 2020, 09:25:28 am »
It's his calmness that stands out - love that in a keeper.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 2, 2020, 09:26:45 am »
I'm gonna get slaughtered for this but hey-ho...

I thought he was fantastic tonight. Considering all of the surrounding circumstances and playing for the World Champions in a game like this, it's brilliant what he did.

However, lets not go on about distribution being his best point tonight as it simply isn't true, just based on tonight. He lamped around 5 clearances straight into the stands tonight, under little pressure.

I get that people worry about Adrian tripping over his shoelaces but lets not put unnecessary pressure on a talented young lad by setting unrealistic expectations. He will learn so lets not rush that, Alisson is here for a good few years yet.

Couple of boss saves though, could be a keeper  ;D

It was the long throws rather than kicks which impressed me. Pacey and accurate.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #128 on: December 2, 2020, 09:30:24 am »
One thing I noticed about his distribution last night, he seems to favour the low trajectory (is that the right word?) goal kicks that Alisson does, wonder if he's been learning from him? Get the accuracy right and they're far more effective than the keeper just ballooning it up into the air in a hit and hope (hi Pickford). A few went a little off or out of play but then even Ali occasionally scalps a midfielder with one of his! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #129 on: December 2, 2020, 09:30:28 am »
Very impressed with his coming off his line and decent distribution, esp with his throws. The save near the end was great, albeit it was right at him but he still needed to react which he did.

The save near the start was just as good IMO

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #130 on: December 2, 2020, 09:36:02 am »

I think that's the main takeaway from last night. Calm as you like on the biggest stage. It is precisely what you want in a keeper. He made a couple of good saves and his distribution was okay.

He did well.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 2, 2020, 09:46:10 am »

basic ingredient - then judgement - when to come when to stay back- saves and distribution part of the package.

I agree that we need to keep calm ourselves. But pleased the manager has a real selection dilemma for next match. For me he can keep the gloves until Alisson returns

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 2, 2020, 10:03:56 am »
Michael Owen spoke very highly of him after the game. I'm not sure if he has seen more of him that most, but he said he's been outstanding for the under 23's and is a big talent.

Are our U-13 keepers any good?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 2, 2020, 10:14:41 am »
Adrian's support for him after the choice was made is a credit to the LFC goalkeepers' union, and to Adrian as an individual.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #134 on: December 2, 2020, 10:36:24 am »
Hope he starts on Sunday now.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 2, 2020, 10:41:32 am »
Only saw the highlights, but that was a great save at the end. My point is more of a general one concerning him and other youngsters coming in. Do you reckon it's an advantage playing behind closed doors at the moment?

Made up for him, and Klopps run and hug will mean something special to him!

Id say so yes. Less exciting so keeps the heart rate lower and they're less likely to be rash on that basis? Just my view

Be interesting to see when we get a full house again. That said he played at home v Shrewsbury which was full and loud enough so likely that has passed

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 2, 2020, 11:00:24 am »
Yeh that would make sense..I know an Irish lass called Caoibhe, and her name is pronounced Queever. So would make sense Caoimhin would be pronounced Queeveen. In reality tho, I just call her Kao-hee-bah, so would probably just call Caoimhin Kao-him-min..

To confuse things further, in the north, we pronounce that ‘Keeva.’ The more common spelling is probably Caoimhe. I know of Anglo Irish people who spell it as Kiva.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 2, 2020, 12:39:27 pm »
What a difference it makes having an actual functioning fitba player in behind the line. The save at the end was right at him I thought, but the other stuff was fine - the big difference is the impact it has on the rest of the side when they can rely on a keeper not dropping a rick with his feet.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Caoimhín Kelleher
« Reply #138 on: December 2, 2020, 01:07:50 pm »
What a difference it makes having an actual functioning fitba player in behind the line. The save at the end was right at him I thought, but the other stuff was fine - the big difference is the impact it has on the rest of the side when they can rely on a keeper not dropping a rick with his feet.
Right at him Roy but certain keepers (ok let’s not name them but hey, two obvious examples on Merseyside) who’d flap at that or put it right back at Huntelaar’s feet. Kelleher didn’t have to move but his technique in parrying that strongly and safely behind was notable.

But yes, confidence breeds confidence.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 2, 2020, 01:10:56 pm »
Oh and by the way, does anyone else know how his first name is spelled or pronounced phonetically or varies regionally. I’m completely at a loss here.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 2, 2020, 01:12:53 pm »
Right at him Roy but certain keepers (ok let’s not name them but hey, two obvious examples on Merseyside) who’d flap at that or put it right back at Huntelaar’s feet. Kelleher didn’t have to move but his technique in parrying that strongly and safely behind was notable.

But yes, confidence breeds confidence.

Does Southall still do coaching? His defensive goalkeeping technique is probably the best I've seen.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 2, 2020, 01:13:57 pm »
Oh and by the way, does anyone else know how his first name is spelled or pronounced phonetically or varies regionally. I’m completely at a loss here.

Throatwobbler mangrove.

https://twitter.com/ConorMcNamaraIE/status/1333914967825899521
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: December 2, 2020, 01:16:29 pm »
No point worrying about it sure its pronounced differently depending on what part of Ireland you are from ;D Qwee-veen is what it sounds like phonetically.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 2, 2020, 01:26:47 pm »
Thanks. Not so difficult once you know.

That is until you go to other parts of the country! There’s so many different wee dialects of Irish and I would have grown up saying Kee-veen which would have been Ulster Irish which is slightly more anglicised because of the Plantations and the influence of the Scots Gaelic. It would be slightly sharper whereas southern Irish would be more gutteral.

Anyway was a great performance by the young fella.He has a really bright future and if you look at him being no 2 there is a possible strong progression there. I suppose it depends on what his own ambitions are. Would you rather be no 2 to the best keeper in the world and learn for the next few seasons or push out to a lower level club and be a big fish in a much smaller pond? 

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
« Reply #144 on: December 2, 2020, 01:27:33 pm »
Decent performance.

Let's hope he can continue it when needed.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #145 on: December 2, 2020, 01:34:40 pm »
Bob
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #146 on: December 2, 2020, 01:35:29 pm »

Derek
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 2, 2020, 01:35:33 pm »
No point worrying about it sure its pronounced differently depending on what part of Ireland you are from ;D Qwee-veen is what it sounds like phonetically.
I don’t normally employ sarcasm or go fishing even, so that’s my first catch in a long while.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 2, 2020, 01:48:00 pm »
The number of idiots who couldn't praise this lad last night without using it as a reason to bash Adrian in the process was depressing.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 2, 2020, 01:50:11 pm »
It was the long throws rather than kicks which impressed me. Pacey and accurate.

Yes, there was one long throw in particular in the second half that sticks in my mind - where he started a very dangerous looking counter attack.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #150 on: December 2, 2020, 02:34:50 pm »
Any streamable links of that save at the end?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 2, 2020, 02:43:09 pm »
Any streamable links of that save at the end?

Search for "Liverpool v Ajax (1-0) _ Champions League Highlights" on the BT sports channel.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 2, 2020, 02:44:06 pm »
He was great. Though the save he pushed out to Neres could have been a disaster.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 2, 2020, 02:45:38 pm »
His beard alone should be our 3rd goalkeeper

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #154 on: December 2, 2020, 03:21:06 pm »
His beard alone should be our 3rd goalkeeper
Are you sure it's his beard? Looks like he's borrowed it from a mate.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 2, 2020, 03:55:46 pm »
There was a cross he came for right at the end and from an angle in the middle of the pitch you could see him screaming for it before he ran to catch it - that was what stood out to me.

Basically 'I'm in charge here in my box and you can have confidence in me'

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #156 on: December 2, 2020, 04:49:56 pm »
Search for "Liverpool v Ajax (1-0) _ Champions League Highlights" on the BT sports channel.

Geo-blocked :(
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #157 on: December 2, 2020, 06:05:05 pm »
Yes, there was one long throw in particular in the second half that sticks in my mind - where he started a very dangerous looking counter attack.

It was brilliant, he flung it out to Robertson and it looked just like Alisson in goal. As much as a fair skinned Irishman can ever look like a sallow skinned Brazilian god.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 2, 2020, 06:08:07 pm »
Promising signs but let's not get carried away. It's just one game. He shipped 7 goals against the City U-23's not too long ago.

Adrian has had games for us (not recently) where he has impressed as well.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #159 on: December 2, 2020, 06:15:49 pm »
Promising signs but let's not get carried away. It's just one game. He shipped 7 goals against the City U-23's not too long ago.

Adrian has had games for us (not recently) where he has impressed as well.

He might have impressed but he's never looked as good a fit as Kelleher did last night.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.