Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 538812 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #1760 on: November 24, 2022, 03:22:20 pm »
Things like - yes we can defintiely afford your fee? We can bid for in january if you like? That kind of vibe

More like, its shit at Anfield, its better at a place that rhymes with Bold Nafford. But of course not to tell Jurgen else he would kill them.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1761 on: November 24, 2022, 03:22:41 pm »
Look if people are worried Edwards and co will end up t Newcastle or Chelsea because of the pay rise. What's to stop us taking someone like Brentford's recruitment team?  ???

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1762 on: November 24, 2022, 03:25:28 pm »
Look if people are worried Edwards and co will end up t Newcastle or Chelsea because of the pay rise. What's to stop us taking someone like Brentford's recruitment team?  ???

They are now at Real Madrid.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1763 on: November 24, 2022, 03:26:07 pm »
Important to note that Ian Graham was the guy who gave that presentation about how its better not to sign players.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1764 on: November 24, 2022, 03:26:25 pm »
They are now at Real Madrid.

Then we go Red Bull Salzburg.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1765 on: November 24, 2022, 03:27:05 pm »
Then we go Red Bull Salzburg.

They are at Leipzig.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1766 on: November 24, 2022, 03:27:09 pm »
It's very possible that Edwards will have a new job lined up and will bring his own people with him. Ward and Graham being just that.

Would Ward want to go back to playing second fiddle to Edwards?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1767 on: November 24, 2022, 03:28:20 pm »
Would Ward want to go back to playing second fiddle to Edwards?

He wont be though, Edwards is moving from Newcastle to PSG
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1768 on: November 24, 2022, 03:29:10 pm »
They are at Leipzig.

They're not. Leipzig and Salzburg have diffrent recruitment teams.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1769 on: November 24, 2022, 03:29:17 pm »
Ah good, we needed something to moan about with the World Cup going on.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1770 on: November 24, 2022, 03:32:12 pm »
Stop thinking that everything is a negative here. It’s been obvious that other teams have been taking a leaf out of our book, it maybe that we need to reset ourselves to go forward.

Not just a leaf, Jill. Newcastle have a few of our backroom staff already. At their level of pay, they don’t have to break the bank to poach them. If you were on £60-80k and another club offered £250k, would you turn it down? I wouldn’t. Even if it was Liverpool I was leaving. It’s a cheap* way for them to disrupt rival premier league clubs in as short a time as possible. Suddenly, those reports Klopp was getting in real-time at HT are delayed while we employ new staff and they learn the ropes. We’ll be fine in a few months, but the damage is done. They could just poach more staff next summer too.

City’s owners play tricks on a similar level but with their own staff. E.g. employing the family of the key coaches and players. That’s a cheap way of ensuring you keep the key staff at the club for longer.

FSG don’t use those dodgy practices as they don’t have a country’s wealth fund to tap into.

*by which I mean it’s cheaper than poaching managers, coaches or players.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1771 on: November 24, 2022, 03:34:16 pm »
The club is getting sold, I think these people are jumping ship that's all.

I get that people want to pre-empt being let go because finding another job can take time, but none of these people are poor. New owners might actually want to retain them, based on the success of their previous work. Having them all decide at once that they've just had enough is extremely bad for the club.

I realise we can be prone to overreacting as fans, but it does feel that things are unravelling a bit. I can only hope it means a takeover is imminent so that disruption is kept to a minimum.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1772 on: November 24, 2022, 03:35:21 pm »
Ah good, we needed something to moan about with the World Cup going on.

I thought we needed something to not moan about with the world cup.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1773 on: November 24, 2022, 03:40:44 pm »
I get that people want to pre-empt being let go because finding another job can take time, but none of these people are poor. New owners might actually want to retain them, based on the success of their previous work. Having them all decide at once that they've just had enough is extremely bad for the club.

I realise we can be prone to overreacting as fans, but it does feel that things are unravelling a bit. I can only hope it means a takeover is imminent so that disruption is kept to a minimum.

3 resignations, while Gordon has been pulled back by FSG. I don't see any positive spin here. None.

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #1774 on: November 24, 2022, 03:44:07 pm »
3 resignations, while Gordon has been pulled back by FSG. I don't see any positive spin here. None.

if there had been any sort of outright animosity - they could have walked - like right now, not the end of the season.

If "they'd had enough"...why not go now? - there are people just below them - all of them would probably could step up.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1775 on: November 24, 2022, 03:44:23 pm »

If - IF - they've been poached by a rival, then maybe that was the catalyst for FSG to sell up?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1776 on: November 24, 2022, 03:45:11 pm »

Yeah I think it's OK to be a bit 'ah well a new broom might help us' on one level but at the same time recognizing it's a bit chaotic and a bad 'look'. All this so soon after edwards just doesn't really pass the sniff test.

It's the sale - that this is apparently unrelated to - that's the unknown though. If there's a lot more sorted behind the scenes than we know then maybe it all makes a bit more sense.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1777 on: November 24, 2022, 03:49:16 pm »
CHANGE THE PASSWORDS!

;D

Love ya big fella.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1778 on: November 24, 2022, 03:56:27 pm »
Turnover in front offices isn’t anything out of the norm on this side of the Atlantic. But since there are similar structures at all the teams then there are a lot of recruiting options. That’s not the case in the PL as they seem to just canabalize each other. So on the one hand it shouldn’t be that big of a deal but on the other who is there to replace them with? Especially as it sounds like they won’t hire anyone from the outside until the sale is done. Giving Klopp and Ljinders free reign sounds like a terrible idea.

Any reason to think anything is lined up for January then? Probably not it seems unless Klopp’s also been working the phones while trying to piece together a team. Sigh…

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1779 on: November 24, 2022, 04:02:17 pm »
Not just a leaf, Jill. Newcastle have a few of our backroom staff already. At their level of pay, they don’t have to break the bank to poach them. If you were on £60-80k and another club offered £250k, would you turn it down? I wouldn’t. Even if it was Liverpool I was leaving. It’s a cheap* way for them to disrupt rival premier league clubs in as short a time as possible. Suddenly, those reports Klopp was getting in real-time at HT are delayed while we employ new staff and they learn the ropes. We’ll be fine in a few months, but the damage is done. They could just poach more staff next summer too.

City’s owners play tricks on a similar level but with their own staff. E.g. employing the family of the key coaches and players. That’s a cheap way of ensuring you keep the key staff at the club for longer.

FSG don’t use those dodgy practices as they don’t have a country’s wealth fund to tap into.

*by which I mean it’s cheaper than poaching managers, coaches or players.

Never in a million years would I work at a club like Newcastle with their current owners. Money doesn’t motivate everyone.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1780 on: November 24, 2022, 04:02:54 pm »
They are at Leipzig.

:D It’s all gone a bit Two Ronnies in here.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #1781 on: November 24, 2022, 04:33:22 pm »
Never in a million years would I work at a club like Newcastle with their current owners. Money doesn’t motivate everyone.

I would if 5x salary, as I’m realistic about the hypocritical world we live in!!!

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #1782 on: November 24, 2022, 04:41:44 pm »
I would if 5x salary, as I’m realistic about the hypocritical world we live in!!!

Exactly. Hypocrisy is being exposed big time. As it stands money talks

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1783 on: November 24, 2022, 05:08:46 pm »
if there had been any sort of outright animosity - they could have walked - like right now, not the end of the season.

If "they'd had enough"...why not go now? - there are people just below them - all of them would probably could step up.
Contractual notice periods appear to be 'end of season'.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1784 on: November 24, 2022, 05:25:35 pm »
If it’s true most of the senior analysts are going it seems very unlikely they won’t be moving to a rival
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:27:28 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: November 24, 2022, 05:27:07 pm »
Surely it causes a problem now with incoming transfers?

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1786 on: November 24, 2022, 05:38:49 pm »
Stop thinking that everything is a negative here. It’s been obvious that other teams have been taking a leaf out of our book, it maybe that we need to reset ourselves to go forward.
each of the departures by itself doesn't mean much, it's the cumulative effect.

and the concern is that our ability to remain competitive with oil clubs so far has been based on every part of LFC working at its peak, with everything running smoothly and in coordination (I'm not being naive - of course crap happens behind the scenes, like any big outfit).

any key component getting thrown out of whack (medical department) can really affect everything.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: November 24, 2022, 05:39:17 pm »
Turnover in front offices isn’t anything out of the norm on this side of the Atlantic. But since there are similar structures at all the teams then there are a lot of recruiting options. That’s not the case in the PL as they seem to just canabalize each other. So on the one hand it shouldn’t be that big of a deal but on the other who is there to replace them with? Especially as it sounds like they won’t hire anyone from the outside until the sale is done. Giving Klopp and Ljinders free reign sounds like a terrible idea.

Any reason to think anything is lined up for January then? Probably not it seems unless Klopp’s also been working the phones while trying to piece together a team. Sigh…

Dont see why we would keep them in place until May if they dont do anything. My concern however would be the summer as if we are telling players to sign for us then.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1788 on: November 24, 2022, 05:41:06 pm »
I’m pretty sure I said when Edwards left that part of it could be that there isn’t much for him to do if Klopp is going to stick around longer and wants to keep the core group around for as long as possible.  Now doubly so if the minimal amount of transfers are just going to be dictated by Ljinders with Klopp’s blessing, what’s the point of sticking around?

I don’t think that’s actually true but you have a lot of LFC reporters hinting as much.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1789 on: November 24, 2022, 05:45:04 pm »
Dont see why we would keep them in place until May if they dont do anything. My concern however would be the summer as if we are telling players to sign for us then.

Because that’s what their contract says. Did Brexit mean there are no longer employment protections as well?

Nobody in this group outside of Ward would be involved in recruitment pitches with players so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1790 on: November 24, 2022, 05:59:24 pm »
each of the departures by itself doesn't mean much, it's the cumulative effect.

and the concern is that our ability to remain competitive with oil clubs so far has been based on every part of LFC working at its peak, with everything running smoothly and in coordination (I'm not being naive - of course crap happens behind the scenes, like any big outfit).

any key component getting thrown out of whack (medical department) can really affect everything.
It's a bit like when the BBC sold the great British bake off to channel 4 for £75million, but Mary Berry Mel and Sue would not go with it. They got a big tent and 10 kitchenettes for 75 mil. It is a bit shite these days. Our backroom team as it exists is surely a massive element of our value as a club, no?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 06:01:14 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1791 on: November 24, 2022, 06:04:04 pm »
It's a bit like when the BBC sold the great British bake off to channel 4 for £75million, but Mary Berry Mel and Sue would not go with it. They got a big tent and 10 kitchenettes for 75 mil. It is a bit shite these days. Our backroom team as it exists is surely a massive element of our value as a club, no?
kinda like tech firms - the most valuable assets go home every night, and if they decide not to come back, replacing them can cripple you.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1792 on: November 24, 2022, 06:07:34 pm »
Well if we're losing suits in the summer I hope to fuck we have replacements lined up by then because we're not going to be able to do effective transfer business until the back room staff are sorted first.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1793 on: November 24, 2022, 06:20:34 pm »
Considering we got Ward from City when we poached Fallows and Hunter and Edwards joined from Spurs bringing Graham with him I don't think we can really complain too much when it happens to us.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1794 on: November 24, 2022, 06:21:08 pm »
Can’t sign a midfielder if you don't have a Transfer team.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1795 on: November 24, 2022, 07:11:08 pm »
I’m pretty sure I said when Edwards left that part of it could be that there isn’t much for him to do if Klopp is going to stick around longer and wants to keep the core group around for as long as possible.  Now doubly so if the minimal amount of transfers are just going to be dictated by Ljinders with Klopp’s blessing, what’s the point of sticking around?

I don’t think that’s actually true but you have a lot of LFC reporters hinting as much.

I guess if you've got Klopp fielding texts from people wanting to play for him, it's a deal maker in the David Dein mould that you need first and foremost. We've already departed from the front line data-driven squad building haven't we?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1796 on: November 24, 2022, 07:17:04 pm »
Looks like the club is going to shit. Thank fuck Klopp isn’t jumping ship

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1797 on: November 24, 2022, 07:17:23 pm »
I guess if you've got Klopp fielding texts from people wanting to play for him, it's a deal maker in the David Dein mould that you need first and foremost. We've already departed from the front line data-driven squad building haven't we?

Haha what's this about?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1798 on: November 24, 2022, 07:18:01 pm »

Think Ljinders mentioned Jota a lot and how him and Klopp were big fans. That summer we also brought in Thiago who doesnt need a load of spreadsheets worth of explanation to Klopp. Nunez also was bigged up by Klopp so maybe it seems the footballing lot have had a greater say in transfers than we think.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: November 24, 2022, 07:20:52 pm »
Think Ljinders mentioned Jota a lot and how him and Klopp were big fans. That summer we also brought in Thiago who doesnt need a load of spreadsheets worth of explanation to Klopp. Nunez also was bigged up by Klopp so maybe it seems the footballing lot have had a greater say in transfers than we think.
Joyce said in his article Klopp has had a lot more influence over the last year, really wanted Diaz and Nunez. Could just be spin to say we don't need to worry about these people leaving as they weren that influential anymore I guess