Author Topic: how good was Steve McMahon  (Read 33429 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: how good was Steve McMahon
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2011, 01:33:56 pm »
Hyypia was miles better in every way.

No. Thats NOT the point I was trying to make.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2011, 01:36:35 pm »
Yeah agree with a lot of your points i guess its all relevant to the time each of those lads played ball, the game proably wasnt so tactically based as it is nowadays to make in the 70's or 80's and a lesser extent the 90's and dont get me wrong i like Lucas and cant believe how much stick he use to get off our own supporters and find myself constantly defended him against some of my Manc or Chelsea friends but just McMahon had a lot more in his locker than Lucas, as for Meireles he is a lovely little footballer but with Gerrard on his way back do you stick Gerrard back a bit deeper??? because on current form Meireles has to stay where he is
Probably.
Or dare I suggest wide right - still arguiably his best season for us was there and we are very, very short of quality wide players. But had we signed Adam? 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard, Meireles and Suarez off Carroll?
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2011, 01:36:45 pm »
Great player but wasnt there some doubt about his supposedly hard-man image?

got twatted by whiteside once and disappeared, and did the same v viinie jones in the 88 cup final.
He took 20 shots for everyone that was on target.
Good player, but not a great.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »
lets not compare adversely to whiteside, macca actually played in matches, whiteside was the original sicknote

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2011, 01:38:01 pm »
No. Thats NOT the point I was trying to make.

I know. I was just being a nob.

Although I think Hyypia vs Lawrenson might have been a more apt comparison. Both goo dplayers but different. Babb was tug for us!
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »
lets not compare adversely to whiteside, macca actually played in matches, whiteside was the original sicknote
Another example of the extremely unhappy relationship between alcohol and injury in elite sportsmen. Top player before he fucked his knee though.

Offline hitnrock

• Kopite
  • Rafa's Red And White Kop
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:08 pm »
a horrible pundit who knives into the manager all the time. Full of ego shite.

i thought he was neutral on rafa and hated roy like hell.. i think thats decent
Waiting for Gerrard is like waiting for Goku.
Only a few moments remaining until Goku arrives.
Next week:

Goku is almost there, can he stop the ginyu force?
Next week:

Goku is about to arrive, is he up to the challenge?

;)

Offline frankie biscan

• Main Stander
  • "Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women."
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »

Probably.
Or dare I suggest wide right - still arguiably his best season for us was there and we are very, very short of quality wide players. But had we signed Adam? 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard, Meireles and Suarez off Carroll?

There would be no arguement from me as my own personal opinion is that it was his best season for us but with Alonso pulling the strings in the middle and Momo breaking up oppostion play and winning alot ball back with those outragiously awkward looking legs of his made it alot easier to justify having Gerrard out wide. 

Gerrard, Meireles and Suarez just off Carroll would be a feast for the eyes!
Her beauty is so genuine . . . . . . .  i dare say the epitome of the word and it's definition.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2011, 01:43:57 pm »
just regarding a couple of earlier posts

is it true he twatted vinnie jones at a later date?

also i think it was right to let him go when we did. he broke his leg in feb 91 and never really did anything up to leaving or after he left
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline frankie biscan

• Main Stander
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2011, 01:47:41 pm »

Dont mean to go slightly off the topic but Babb was a poor defender at best, got to see him play for our National side quite abit and if it wasnt for the majestic "Black pearl of Inchicore" Paul McGrath, Babb would have found himself on the dole queue long before he robbed a living from us
Her beauty is so genuine . . . . . . .  i dare say the epitome of the word and it's definition.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2011, 01:49:29 pm »
Hyypia was miles better in every way.

Hyypia would have broken that post.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »
i thought he was neutral on rafa and hated roy like hell.. i think thats decent

I have seen him consistently have the knives out for Rafa from his issues with rotation to tactics to just about everything. He wasn't a big fan of Rafa. He was supportive of Hodgson but lost it after the Everton match and started calling for Roy to leave.

He is a big Dalglish fan for obvious reasons.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2011, 01:55:55 pm »
McMahon was a boss player. he could do it all. Play football, but if needed grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:11 pm »

also i think it was right to let him go when we did. he broke his leg in feb 91 and never really did anything up to leaving or after he left

He played his part in the story of Niall Quinn's disco pants. Which I suppose also supports the argument that McMahon wasn't as hard as his reputation made him.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »

He went over the top on Jones in the game at Anfield which was the first time we had played Wimbledon since the cup final. Jones had been going on about how much McMahon had shit himself in the final etc. It was a horrendous tackle, Jones needed about 15 stitches afterwards.

It wasn't a leg break, in the first cup game between us and Everton in 1991 (the one before the 4-4) McMahon went into a tackle with John Ebbrell by the dug out. He flew into it, probably a straight red and hurt himself, badly damaged his knee I think, he was never the same after that. John Ebbrell had to go and replace his shin pad , it was fucked.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:00:16 pm by davidg »
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2011, 01:59:38 pm »
Just got that.  ;D

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2011, 01:59:48 pm »
Dunno, seemed pretty hard to me most of the time. Only game I would question it was the '88 cup final where he got a bang off Vinny Jones early on and seemed to go missing a bit. But that's an easy retrospective narrative and had Aldo scored the pen I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

I remember that so well. What doesnt get remembered that often is that when Wimbledon came to Anfield next McMahon absolutely launched one into Jones. And Jones went missing for the rest of that match.  Neither of them had a whinge about being on the receiving end of anything.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »
A couple of crackers in here from the man plus Rushie equalling Deans derby tally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CCU5Nxr0s

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »
Sorry, but comparing McMahon to Lucas is absurd.

Absolutely ABSURD.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2011, 02:12:47 pm »
Sorry, but comparing McMahon to Lucas is absurd.

Absolutely ABSURD.

In terms of their style of play,

McMahon = Gerrard
Whelan = Lucas
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

royhendo

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2011, 02:14:49 pm »
Tremendous player - absolutely brilliant.

Offline frankie biscan

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »

Wood Pigeon Whelan wouldnt be too happy about that comparsion

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2011, 02:19:48 pm »
Loved him blood sweat & plenty of guts (or was that Molby)

Proper player who gave his all for the team and he could play a bit too. Great shot with strong power. Would be worth millions now.

Great player who is not often talked about

p.s he sure could rap
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2011, 02:25:56 pm »
In terms of their style of play,

McMahon = Gerrard
Whelan = Lucas
I see what you're saying but I just think the tactics are so different now. Whelan was allowed more licence to roam than Lucas is, let alone McMahon.

By the way, I think Gerrard in 1988 would've played the same game as McMahon did, but don't think in 2011 McMahon would've had the mercurial talent to play in the attacking midfielder role for a top club, and would've had more of the skill set of one of the two "holders, albeit the more adventurous of and mobile of the two. Gerrard's quicker and more talented by some margin (waits for the heresy allegations).

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »
He went over the top on Jones in the game at Anfield which was the first time we had played Wimbledon since the cup final. Jones had been going on about how much McMahon had shit himself in the final etc. It was a horrendous tackle, Jones needed about 15 stitches afterwards.

It wasn't a leg break, in the first cup game between us and Everton in 1991 (the one before the 4-4) McMahon went into a tackle with John Ebbrell by the dug out. He flew into it, probably a straight red and hurt himself, badly damaged his knee I think, he was never the same after that. John Ebbrell had to go and replace his shin pad , it was fucked.
never even heard about him getting jones back. thats cheered me up no end

i always thought he did break his leg that time. your right it was the game you mentioned and it was around the time kenny packed in. mcmahon didnt play again til the following season. found this http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2009/1/25/1232878956270/Steve-McMahon-001.jpg

from that it looks like macca is dishing it out alright. i think graeme sharp kicked him in the face earlier in that game.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:29 pm »
He is the football pundit over here for ESPN. He loves the club and doesn;t try to please the Sky idiots unlike other former players.
YNWA

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »
A couple of crackers in here from the man plus Rushie equalling Deans derby tally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CCU5Nxr0s

Went straight to the Black Horse after that first game at Woodison, went to the bog while my mate went to the bar and by the time I'd had a piss the whole pub got wrecked. Came out to a scene of utter devestation- glass, bottles and chairs everywhere. Happy days!

Offline RuairiK

• Kopite
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2011, 02:29:41 pm »
The way he kept that ball in play against Arsenal for Aldridge to score !
Brilliant !
Great player !

pure class. i must convert that season review video to dvd and have a watch again as i used to love watching it.
I'd played at Anfield and I knew the crowd were fantastic. I knew there was a public just waiting. So I fought the battles inside and outside. I was interested in only one thing, success for the club. And that meant success for the people. I wanted results for the club, for the love of the game, to make the people happy

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »
McMahon was strong, tough tackling and powerful. Scored a few belters in his time as well. A player I really loved as a kid. I think Gary Gilliespie's assertion though that Stevie wouldn't have made the 87-88 team is wrong. I'd put Gerrard ahead of McMahon as a player, as a central midfielder though I'm not so sure.

Bringing players like Lucas into this conversation though is a bit silly. I like him and think he's improving all the time but nowhere near the level of McMahon, Molby or Whelan. There are about 4-5 players in the last 10 years who may have had a sniff in that 87-88 squad and that's about it

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:04 pm »
One of my all-time favourite players, he could do just about everything. Scored one of the best headers I've ever seen against Everton in the Screen Sport Super Cup (great competition!) from 20 yards at the Kop end, top of the net.

And it ended up in the Anfield Rap video.

"Coz if anyone can, Macca can, Macca can, Macca can".

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:51 pm »
I don't remember the Jones incident but I do remember him going into a 50/50 with Fashanu in a night match at Anfield sometime after the cup final. Neither held back but it was McMahon who came away with the ball.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2011, 02:35:31 pm »
just see a lot of talk in the aldridge goal thread about him and comparing him with mascherano

As great as masch was at his one trick, he definitely was a one-trick pony, McMahon had hell of a lot more to his game. A true box-to-box midfielder of high quality with the stopping power of masch as only one small part of his game.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »
He is the football pundit over here for ESPN. He loves the club and doesn;t try to please the Sky idiots unlike other former players.

He tries hard to not take sides but when it comes to Liverpool you can see he cares.

Paul Masefield and Shebby Singh are utter tools. Even Paul Parker makes more sense than those two..

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »
He tries hard to not take sides but when it comes to Liverpool you can see he cares.

Paul Masefield and Shebby Singh are utter tools. Even Paul Parker makes more sense than those two..

Masefieid is an out and out Chelsea fan.....Shebby Singh is a Spuds fan, despises Arsenal. Jamie Reeves is probably the resonal one of the lot.

When it comes to Champions league pundits, don't even get me started on Carlton Palmer. Every word he utters is hogwash.
YNWA

Offline peterb17

• Click on Bookmarks. Click on Bookmark this page. Arl arses now has an electronic tag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2011, 02:46:11 pm »

Soto would of ate it

Offline peterb17

• Click on Bookmarks. Click on Bookmark this page. Arl arses now has an electronic tag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:39 pm »

i always thought he did break his leg that time. your right it was the game you mentioned and it was around the time kenny packed in. mcmahon didnt play again til the following season. found this http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2009/1/25/1232878956270/Steve-McMahon-001.jpg

Dont forget Mcmahon at a later date saying the best part was the doctor told them Jones was actually crying with the pain.....Seemingly the whole dressing room was in hysterics.
In relation to the cup final tackle its a media driven fallacy if you see the match again which not many did as we lost it Mcmahon had a decent game and if the ref hadn't of called back play for an LFC free kick as Beardsley scored (one of the worst cup final decisions ever but conveniently forgotten) then they would never had been heard of as Jones did nothing else all game
from that it looks like macca is dishing it out alright. i think graeme sharp kicked him in the face earlier in that game.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2011, 02:53:08 pm »

That's the tackle that fucked him up, right there, I wasn't that far away and I remember wincing.  He had a touch of the wild eyed loon about him sometimes, especially on derby day.

' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2011, 02:56:52 pm »
Superb midfielder for Liverpool.Had everything in his game as a box to box player.

That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2011, 02:58:46 pm »
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline dgoh

• Kopite
  • Son. Brother. Student. RAWKite
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2011, 02:58:55 pm »
If everyone on here thinks Steve McMahon is a horrible pundit, wait til you hear what Shebby Singh has to say. That guy is an absolute load of bull.