Author Topic: Maggie May's Recipe A Day  (Read 152201 times)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« on: January 3, 2008, 12:55:39 pm »
This thread was born out of the genius that is Blurred. 

My New Years Resolution is to put a minimum of one recipe a day on my computer in an attempt to sort out of mammoth appalling mess that is my collection of recipes.  The Genius Blurred suggested that I post them here also, which is a great incentive to stick to my resolution this year (I've failed twice).   So here are the ones which I've put on so far:

Split Pea, Leek and Bacon Soup

125g split green peas
25g butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 leeks, trimmed and roughly chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
1.2 litres of hot ham stock (made with stock cubes)
1tsp mixed dried herbs
250g gammon steak

Put the peas in a container. Cover with water and leave to soak overnight.

Add butter to a large pan and gently cook the onion until soft and golden.  Add the leek and potato, cover the pan and cook over a very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Drain the split peas and add to the pan with the stock, herbs and gammon.  Bring to the boil, cover and then simmer gently for 40 minutes.

Remove the gammon and trim off any fat.  Dice the lean meat and set aside.

Puree the soup in a blender.  Stir in the chopped gammon and reheat.

Lemon Tart

1 x 8inch ready made shortcrust pastry shell
1 x 350g/12oz jar of lemon curd
15ml/1tbsp lemon juice
1 egg
Icing sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4/Fan 160C.  Put the pastry case on an ovenproof plate.

Beat the lemon curd with the lemon juice and egg.  Spoon into the pastry case.

Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until set.

Leave to cool, then chill.  Dust with a little sifted icing sugar before serving.

Custard Tart

1 x 8 inch ready made shortcrust pastry case
2 eggs
150ml/¼ pint milk
1 x 425g/15oz tin of custard
25g/1oz caster sugar
A little grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5/Fan 170C.  Put the pastry case on an ovenproof plate.

Beat together the remaining ingredients except the nutmeg.  Spoon into the case and dust a little nutmeg over the surface.

Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until set.

Serve warm or cold.

Melba Toast

One small white sliced loaf

Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2/Fan 135C.

Cut the crusts off the slices.  Give crusts to the birdies.

Roll the slices one at a time with a rolling pin to flatten them.  Either leave the slices whole or cut them in half, as you please.  Place the slices on baking trays and bake for about 30 minutes or until pale golden and curling at the edges.

Cool the slices on a wire rack.  Store the cooled slices in an airtight container or tin.

Parmesan Wafers

100g/4oz Parmesan cheese

Put 12 spoonfuls for Parmesan cheese well apart on a greased baking sheet.  Flatten slightly.  Bake in a preheated oven at 200F/400F/Gas 6/Fan 180C for 10 minutes until melted.  Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight tin.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese whirls

12 large round lettuce leaves (Iceberg lettuce is crispiest)
6 large slices of smoked salmon
200g/7oz soft cream cheese of your choice
15ml/1tbsp milk
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Ground black pepper

Cut the thick stalks from the lettuce leaves and then push the two pieces together to make a base.  Cut the smoked salmon in halves lengthwise and lay on the lettuce leaves.  Mix the cheese with the milk, the cayenne and a good grinding of black pepper.  Spread over the salmon.  Fold over the sides of the lettuce and then roll up tightly.  Place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve, then cut each piece in half slantwise.

Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
Re: Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2008, 12:56:42 pm »
can we add our own to your recipes?
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2008, 01:08:03 pm »
can we add our own to your recipes?

Oh yes please.  I'm always on the lookout for recipes, (which has been my downfall really), but now I shall be able to store them in an orderly manner instead of having bits and pieces all over the place.  And there's loads of good cooks on RAWK, so I'll look forward to seeing their favourites.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2008, 01:14:14 pm »
Okay, Ill find some for you, although you do realise Half of RAWK including myself will now be expecting A Maggie May's cookbook series soon?

Failing that, Im sure we'd all be happy to come and test your recipes ;D
« Last Edit: January 3, 2008, 01:15:57 pm by rakey_lfc »
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2008, 01:17:52 pm »
I have a chunk of Parmesan that desperately needs using, hmmmmmm wonder what I will make later  ;D

Cheers Mags good shout for a thread, I really need some new recipes  :)

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2008, 01:20:11 pm »
Heres a yummy soup one for you Mags

Sweet Potato & Red Pepper

1 x large onion, peeled and chopped
1 x clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 x carrots peeled and chopped
2 x red peppers, peeled and chopped
1 x large (or 2 small) sweet pots, peeled and chopped
1 x veg oxo cube
800ml boiling water

Bung all the veg in a large pan and lightly fry with some olive oil for about 5 mins. Add the oxo cube and water, stick the lid on and leave to cook for about an hour (or until all the veg is nice and soft). Blitz in a blender, add S&P and serve with loads of bread to dunk! Easy-peasy.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2008, 01:22:04 pm »
Okay, Ill find some for you, although you do realise Half of RAWK including myself will now be expecting A Maggie May's cookbook series soon?

Failing that, Im sure we'd all be happy to come and test your recipes ;D

Excellent.  I'll look forward to it.

Dunno about the cookbook though.  Mr May's been saying for ages I should write one, and I keep meaning to get round to it but ...........  Perhaps if this works out and I get organised at last I might seriously have a go.  Who knows? 

And you're more than welcome as a tester/taster.  It would give Mr May a break from being the victim.   ;D

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2008, 01:22:05 pm »

1 x veg oxo cube
800ml boiling water

Bung all the veg in a large pan and lightly fry with some olive oil for about 5 mins. Add the oxo cube and water, stick the lid on and leave to cook for about an hour (or until all the veg is nice and soft). Blitz in a blender, add S&P and serve with loads of bread to dunk! Easy-peasy.

mmmmm that sounds really nice!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2008, 01:27:06 pm »
I have a chunk of Parmesan that desperately needs using, hmmmmmm wonder what I will make later  ;D

Cheers Mags good shout for a thread, I really need some new recipes  :)

Thank the Genius Blurred.  I'd never have thought of it.  And I've added your yummy sounding soup to the collection.   I'll definately make that at the weekend.  Cheers matey.   :wave

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #9 on: January 3, 2008, 01:51:41 pm »
oh my god why did i wonder onto this thread, im so hungry now

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 3, 2008, 05:21:25 pm »
Are there any recommendations for studenty fast and cheap recipes that taste nice?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11 on: January 3, 2008, 05:37:42 pm »
Are there any recommendations for studenty fast and cheap recipes that taste nice?

Take a packet of Super Noodles and add to a pan of boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes. Add the sachet. Drain (thereby losing nearly all of the 'flavour' from the sachet. Serve on a bed of toast. Bon appetit!

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 3, 2008, 05:40:48 pm »
Take a packet of Super Noodles and add to a pan of boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes. Add the sachet. Drain (thereby losing nearly all of the 'flavour' from the sachet. Serve on a bed of toast. Bon appetit!

Erm I already do that (without the draining bit). I was thinking of something less stereotypical than 'noodles and bread', 'cheese on toast', 'beans on toast' or 'chocolate bar and pint of milk'! I've cooked at uni- made some lamb steaks, pork chops (cooked to perfection- lamb nice and pink, and the pork not chewy, Gordon Ramsay eat your heart out), mash potatoes (forgot the cream, so just added some milk and butter).. but they took too long to make.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #13 on: January 3, 2008, 05:48:37 pm »

:) cheese on toast is always a fave too ;)  toast under the grill one half of a slice of bread. when toasted put some grated cheese on other side then toast till melted.  mmmm yummy.

Cheers for the recipes Maggie , shall have to try out some :thumbup
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 3, 2008, 07:58:36 pm »

Soup is cheap and cheerful, best way to make soup is buyng all your left over veg in a pan boil add pasta or lentils :D

I have lots of soup recipes, its the only bloody thing Lucas will eat :P

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #15 on: January 3, 2008, 08:03:30 pm »
I am just posting so I can find it later

Cheers
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 3, 2008, 08:21:03 pm »
Soup is cheap and cheerful, best way to make soup is buyng all your left over veg in a pan boil add pasta or lentils :D

I have lots of soup recipes, its the only bloody thing Lucas will eat :P

All I ate was soup and bread for a couple of weeks... had very painful mouth ulcers, and the only food I could eat was soup! But it was one of those tin jobs, and not one I'd made from scratch. They take long to make?

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 3, 2008, 08:39:07 pm »
Cheats Welsh Rarebit...

Bung a load of cheddar cheese into a pan, add salt, pepper, a bit of milk, a bit of butter and plenty of english mustard.  Cook till everything's melted and mixed up.  Splash in a generous amount of vinegar (Sarsons is the best).  Give it another minute on the heat.  Pour mixture over pieces of white bread.  Eat.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #18 on: January 3, 2008, 08:42:35 pm »

If you like tuna, and you like spaghetti, you could do worse than go for....wait for it...my 'Tuna Spaghetti' recipe.

Heat some of the oil from the can, fry off as much garlic as you feel like.

Add the tuna, flaking it in, then some dried parsley  and black pepper (freshly ground, natch)

Cook all that together for a minute or two, then add 3/4 pint of chicken stock (cube will do) and simmer for 15-20 min.

Mix it in with your spaghetti, serve.

Bonus. It'll serve two (I use a  tin per person if you're really after a meaty sauce) for about a quid.

It's great reheated too, the day after.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2008, 08:46:16 pm »
Pan-seared scallpos with prosciutto and rosemary

Take 8 king scallops, roe removed if you fancy.

Take one piece of prosciutto and fold it lengthwise, then wrap it round one scallop.

Sharpen the base of a sprig of rosemary and use it to skewer the meat to the scallop.

Season with sea salt, fresh black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.

In a solid-based saute pan preheated to a high heat, pop the scallops in and cook for two minutes per side.

Serve, with wedges of lemon, as a starter, or with a salad as a main.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 3, 2008, 08:56:30 pm »

1 x veg oxo cube
800ml boiling water

Sounds well nice that, Lo, and vegan safe  8)

Got anymore? ;D Need to learn to cook.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 3, 2008, 08:57:13 pm »
All I ate was soup and bread for a couple of weeks... had very painful mouth ulcers, and the only food I could eat was soup! But it was one of those tin jobs, and not one I'd made from scratch. They take long to make?

Depends what sort of soup, chicken takes longer as you need to boil the carcuss, the one I posted above takes an hour max :wave

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 3, 2008, 08:59:20 pm »
Just for you Claire

Squash & Leek

2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, sliced
1 big squash, diced
2 med or 1 large potato, diced
2 veg stock cubes
Water
Black pepper

Soften the onion and garlic in some oil. Add the leek and let it soften a bit too

Add the stock cubes, the squash, potato and water to cover and a bit more. Bring to the boil and let simmer for about 45 min or so. Add black pepper to taste or some herbs if you fancy.

Blitz till smooth.

Roasted tomato & pepper soup

about 8 x large tomatoes
2 x red peppers
1 x onion
2 x cloves of garlic
handful fresh basil
about 600ml veg stock (I just use a veg oxo)

Preheat the oven to gm6. Chop the peppers and onions into large chunks, and half the tomatoes. Add to a roasting tin with a good glug of olive oil and the garlic cloves, still in their skins. Leave to roast for about 30-40 mins, til the veg is all soft and sticky.

Put the peppers into a plastic bag and leave to cool slightly. Skin and de-seed the tomatoes and remove the garlic from it's peel (it should be nice and soft). When the peppers have cooled enough to handle, remove the skin. Put the peppers, tommies, onion, garlic and some ripped basil into a blender, add the stock and blitz. Add S&P to taste.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 3, 2008, 09:05:32 pm »
Just for you Claire

Thanks :) deffo gonna have a go at the roasted tomato and pepper one :lickin

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 3, 2008, 10:43:55 pm »
If you like tuna, and you like spaghetti, you could do worse than go for....wait for it...my 'Tuna Spaghetti' recipe.

Heat some of the oil from the can, fry off as much garlic as you feel like.

Add the tuna, flaking it in, then some dried parsley  and black pepper (freshly ground, natch)

Cook all that together for a minute or two, then add 3/4 pint of chicken stock (cube will do) and simmer for 15-20 min.

Mix it in with your spaghetti, serve.

Bonus. It'll serve two (I use a  tin per person if you're really after a meaty sauce) for about a quid.

It's great reheated too, the day after.

Nice- made my own variation of that sort of- after the oil and garlic, I added tinned tomatoes, seasoning and the tuna. Then served with pasta. No herbs though. Will give the pasta and tuna one a go next week when I need to fend for myself. (Also, freshly ground pepper- nice touch there).

Depends what sort of soup, chicken takes longer as you need to boil the carcuss, the one I posted above takes an hour max :wave

Will try a veggie one then! With some nice crusty bread, warmed up and with some creamy butter...

Offline uneverwalkalone

• LFC TV now available on SKY 448, Virgin Media 544 or e-season ticket. Happy to buy from touts.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: January 4, 2008, 01:14:16 am »
Cheese on Toast.

One slice of bread (preferably without mould)
Slice a piece of cheese
put bread in the toaster
waiting patiently
heat up oven
place cheese on toast in oven
melt the fuck
eat it

add brown sauce at own discretion.

seriously though Maggie, I'll keep me eye on this, love a cooking cooking session.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 4, 2008, 01:21:08 am »
Rakey_lfc's  5step  guide to perfect hangover cure: -

1. Get out of bed.
2. put on some clothes.
3. go out the front door and walk 10yards to wetherspoons
4. pay £3.99 for  a farmhouse breakfast
5. get some tomato ketchup...and enjoy!!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 4, 2008, 01:35:13 am »
Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake...

You Need
Brie,
Soft Cheese such as Phildephia.
Ham,
Potato
Pea's or frozen veg!

- Cut the potatos up in O's shapes, believe this is called scallops? Leaving the skin on.

- Boil Potatoes in a water with a chicken oxo cube.

- Cut the brie into slices as this will be the top layer.

- Cut the ham.

- Boil the Peas or veg.

- Use few tea spoons of the water from the potatos and mix with some soft cheese to make the sauce. Amounts at your discretion depending on how you want the sauce

Now, Mix the peas into the potato pan and use some for the bottom layer. add a bit of ham to this and some cheesy sauce. REPEAT until near the top of the dish...then use the brie as a top layer and oven for 10 minutes until the brie melts.

Tasty dish and only 3points on the weightwatchers books should anyone be on this diet!?

SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #28 on: January 4, 2008, 01:39:49 am »

Cup of tea

1 mug

Water

Milk

Tea bag

Sugar (optional)

Instructions

Heat the water in a kettle or in a pan on the cooker.

Place the tea bag in the mug. When water has boiled pour it over the tea bag in the mug. Add milk to taste. Add sugar. Remove tea bag. Stir to taste.

Serve with biscuits.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 4, 2008, 01:52:58 am »
Cup of tea

1 mug

Water

Milk

Tea bag

Sugar (optional)

Instructions

Heat the water in a kettle or in a pan on the cooker.

Place the tea bag in the mug. When water has boiled pour it over the tea bag in the mug. Add milk to taste. Add sugar. Remove tea bag. Stir to taste.

Serve with biscuits.

This is MY tea recipe:

Put some hot water in a saucepan and heat. Add cardomom (sp?) and aniseed seeds, then bring to the boil. Add tea bag and leave for a couple of minutes. Add milk then bring to the boil again. Pour contents into a mug (using a sieve so you don't get all the stuff in your mug) and add sugar to taste. Enjoy a cup of REAL tea!

:)

Offline SpenceUK1968

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 4, 2008, 01:55:54 am »
Great thread Maggie, The Lemon tart one sounds nice. (I always had a thing for tarts..erm) I worry about the mess all the keyboards and mice will be in when people get halfway through cooking and need a reminder...probably similar to the old pics for guys threads I guess. *S*

(Those soups sound ace, Lo, I'll have to send Mel out shopping)
;D

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 4, 2008, 02:00:12 am »
this thread is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 4, 2008, 02:18:51 am »
Two of my faves for doing quickly when I get back from work. Really tasty, but take 20minutes each.

Thai Sea Bass

2 Sea Bass Fillets (Once really pricey, but good value now)
2 Small Thai Chillies
Bunch of Fresh Coriander
1 Lime
Salt and Pepper
Butter
Drop of Rape Seed Oil

Squeeze Half the lime over the fish on a large plate. Remove the seeds and the white pith from the chillis and chop very finely over the bass along with the coarsely chopped Coriander. Season the bass on the skin side with plenty of salt. Put a knob of butter in a pan with a drop of oil to stop the butter burning. Quickly fry the fish skin side down for 4 minutes, and turn over for 1 minute. Remove the fish and put of a piece of Kitchen Paper. Add a little more butter to the pan, and add zest of the lime and the remainder of tghe juice, whisk until light and serve over the bass.

Really nice with Charlotte Potatos with a bit of Creme Fraiche.

Wine Options

Hunters Riesling, Marlborough, NZ  £10.99 a bottle, a very dry Riesling, with a lot of Citrus fruit character and refreshing acidity.

Joseph Mellot Touraine Sauvignon £4.99 a bottle, basically Sancerre without Sancerre on the label, top producer! Plenty of tropical fruit character, a little citrus fruit and a rounded, flinty, clean finish.
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product.paspproduct_code=26378&mscssid=5AF664640F9F48A8A2420702CCF3423E&x=5&y=8

Chorizo Pasta

Half a chorizo ring finely chopped
Can of Chopped Tomatos, as good quality as possible.
Marscapone Cheese
Finely chopped Onion
Finely Chopped Garlic Clove
Bag of Fresh Spaghetti

Put the chorizo, garlic and onion in a pan, fry it off until slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and reduce down until the watery liquid has been cooked off. Turn the heat down on the sauce while cooking the Spaghetti. At the last minute add a dessert spoon of Marscapone cheese and stir well. Add to the pasta and season.  MMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Bodegas Primicia Anniversario Rioja 2006   £5.79 a bottle, blended with 5% Gran Reserva Fruit, liquoricey, blackcurranty spicy drop of Rioja, very elegant and from one of, if not my favourite Rioja house.

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product~product_code~60265~mscssid~9655C790CB434146B9BB1A4335AC65C0.pasp
« Last Edit: January 4, 2008, 12:25:04 pm by GusMcLean »
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline uneverwalkalone

• LFC TV now available on SKY 448, Virgin Media 544 or e-season ticket. Happy to buy from touts.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33 on: January 4, 2008, 03:13:18 am »
Had Chorizo with black pudding in Morantos the other day, fantastic.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #34 on: January 4, 2008, 11:09:17 am »
Two of my faves for doing quickly when I get back from work. Really tasty, but take 20minutes each.

Thai Sea Bass

2 Sea Bass Fillets (Once really pricey, but good value now)
2 Small Thai Chillies
Bunch of Fresh Coriander
1 Lime
Salt and Pepper
Butter
Drop of Rape Seed Oil

Squeeze Half the lime over the fish on a large plate. Remove the seeds and the white pith from the chillis and chop very finely over the bass along with the coarsely chopped Coriander. Season the bass on the skin side with plenty of salt. Put a knob of butter in a pan with a drop of oil to stop the butter burning. Quickly fry the fish skin side down for 4 minutes, and turn over for 1 minute. Remove the fish and put of a piece of Kitchen Paper. Add a little more butter to the pan, and add zest of the lime and the remainder of tghe juice, whisk until light and serve over the bass.

Really nice with Charlotte Potatos with a bit of Creme Fraiche.

Chorizo Pasta

Half a chorizo ring finely chopped
Can of Chopped Tomatos, as good quality as possible.
Marscapone Cheese
Finely chopped Onion
Finely Chopped Garlic Clove
Bag of Fresh Spaghetti

Put the chorizo, garlic and onion in a pan, fry it off until slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and reduce down until the watery liquid has been cooked off. Turn the heat down on the sauce while cooking the Spaghetti. At the last minute add a dessert spoon of Marscapone cheese and stir well. Add to the pasta and season.  MMMMMmmmmmmmmm

No wine list to accompany?  ;)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #35 on: January 4, 2008, 11:26:56 am »
Corkboy's Cholesterol Surprise

Spuds
Black Pudding (pref Clonakilty, but must be of the "fall apart" variety)
Baked Beans

Boil the spuds, slice or dice and leave to cool.
Chop and shallow fry the pudding at medium heat in a good bit of oil for about five minutes, and then add the spud and fry at full heat for another five minutes. Serve covered with baked beans. Liberally dose with salt.

Eat. Check cholesterol level.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #36 on: January 4, 2008, 11:27:46 am »
for students, this is perfect and cheap.
good for ya too, which helps.

tin tuna- in own oil, x 2
onion
sweetcorn
tin of toms
black pepper and salt
curry powder
pasta shells
bread.

dinner-
take out tuna from 1 tin,drain and flake.
cut half onion, mix in with tuna and salt n pepper.
put in between 2 pieces of bread, add filler,mayo usually.
either eat as sandwich or as a toastie.
keep you going till evening.

take half tuna oil out, and with that fry for 5 mins the other half onion.
put some curry powder in the pan, then add a handfull of sweetcornand fry for another 2 mins.
add toms,not juice,the rest the oil, and add tuna and more curry powder.
fry reduced heat for 5 more mins,constantly turning.
when pasta is cooked,land the tuna in the dish,mix together adding salt n pepper.

costs around 60p max,if bought in bulk, 2 meals in a day.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 4, 2008, 11:32:28 am »
Raspberry and Amaretti crunch cake

175g butter or marg
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
140g self-raising flour
85g ground almonds
140g amaretti biscuits, roughly broken
250g fresh or frozen raspberries
icing sugar to dust

Preheat the oven to gm3. Put the marg, sugar, eggs, flour and almonds in to a large bowl and mix with a whisk until well blended.
Spread half the cake mix into a buttered and lined cake tin. Scatter over half of the raspberries and half the broken amaretti biscuits. Dollop the rest of the mixture on top and then scatter over the remaining biscuits and raspberries. Bake for 55-60 mins. Cool for 15 mins before turning out, then when cool dust with icing sugar. This is much nicer cold, the day after it's been made if you can wait that long!

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 4, 2008, 12:14:41 pm »
No wine list to accompany?  ;)

Fine!

Menu ammended!

::)

:D
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 4, 2008, 12:16:56 pm »
Great thread Maggie, The Lemon tart one sounds nice. (I always had a thing for tarts..erm) I worry about the mess all the keyboards and mice will be in when people get halfway through cooking and need a reminder...probably similar to the old pics for guys threads I guess. *S*

(Those soups sound ace, Lo, I'll have to send Mel out shopping)
;D

Thank you.  But this thread is all thanks to the Genius Blurred.

The Lemon Tart one has a "history", was made out of desperation and ever since has been successfully shammed as Tarte au Citron.  A kid you not.

My best mate Kath was determined to make this as a pud for a dinner party.  Did everything to perfection, and then when she was carrying the excellent object to be chilled, tripped over the dog and fell on the pud. 

I'll draw a veil over the rest, but the result of it was I lashed together stuff which I had in the cupboards to great effect.  And I have since passed it off as Tarte au Citron to great effect.  Yay.

Anyway. Today's stuff.  With others for tomorrow and Sunday, since its very unlikely I'll be physically online and unable to post, as opposed to being physically online and not being arsed/lapsing posting.  Which I believe stays within the spirit of my resolution.  Or something.

Anyway.

Cod and Bacon Kebabs with Rosemary Dressing

Serves 4

The rectangular frozen cod portions are ideal for this as they cut into perfect cubes for threading, and don’t tear as unfrozen cod would.  Just let them defrost slightly for a few minutes to make them easier to cut - they don’t have to be thawed completely.

4 frozen cod portions
15ml/1tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 smoked streaky bacon rashers, rind removed
1 small ready-to-cook garlic baguette

For the dressing

5ml/1tsp dried Rosemary, crushed
90ml/6tbsp honey and mustard dressing
15ml/1tbsp lemon juice
15nl/1tbsp mayonnaise

Bag of salad leaves, 12 cherry tomatoes, halved, lemon wedges - to serve

Note

If you are using wooden skewers, soak them for at least 20 minutes beforehand.

Cut each cod portion into 6 cubes.  Toss in the oil and lightly season.

Stretch the bacon rashers with the back of a knife and cut each into three equal pieces.

Separate the garlic bread into the slices.  Give the two ends to the birdies, and then cut the other slices into bite sized chunks, to make 24 in all.

Thread a cube of cod, then a slice of bacon folded concertina-fashion, then a cube of bread onto a skewer, then repeat the threading.  Make seven more kebabs the same way.

Preheat the grill - moderate heat.  Turn the grill rack over, so the kebabs will be lower under the grill.  Lay the kebabs on foil on the rack.  Cook for about 6 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through.

All you need do to make the dressing is just to whisk all the ingredients together.

Add a little dressing to the salad leaves, toss and pile onto four plates and scatter the tomatoes around.  Lay two kebabs on each bed of leaves and spoon the remaining dressing over.  Garnish with wedges of lemon.

Corn and Chive Fritters

100g/4oz self raising flour
½ tsp salt
150ml/¼ pint tepid water
1 x 350g/12oz/medium can of Sweetcorn
10ml/2tsp dried chives
Oil for deep frying

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.  Gradually mix in the matter to form a thick batter that will drop (as opposed to pour) off a spoon.

Stir in the corn and chives.

Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or pan to 190C/375F or until a cube of day old bread browns in 30 seconds.  Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the oil and fry for about 3 minutes, turning once or twice, until crisp and golden.  Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot.

Ratafia and Cointreau Ice Cream

This is a no hassle in the making ice cream, and it slices straight from the freezer.  If you want to use the loaf tin for other purposes, then just loosen it from the frozen ice cream as I‘ve said, (you can leave the cling film on or remove it as you please), and re-wrap the ice cream in foil until you want to use it.  The heat used for the separation from the tin is only brief and won’t affect the ice cream at all.

Sunflower oil, for greasing
100g/4oz ratafias
600ml/1pt whipping cream
50g/2oz icing sugar
A pinch of salt
75ml/5tbsp Cointreau or other orange liqueur of your choice

Oil an 900g/2lb loaf tin and line with clingfilm so the film hangs well over the edges all round.  Brush the clingfilm thoroughly with the oil. 

Put the ratafias  into a plastic bag and finely crush them.  Coat the base of the loaf tin and half way up its sides with half the crushed ratafias.

Whip the cream with the sugar and salt until softly peaking.  Whisk in the remaining half of the ratafias and the liqueur until the mixture is standing in soft peaks again.

Turn the mixture into the prepared tin.  Level the surface and then gently fold the clingfilm over.  Wrap the tin completely in foil and freeze until firm.

Just before serving, unwrap the tin and unfold the clingfilm and tuck it back against the sides of the tin.  Dip the tin briefly in hot water, then invert it onto a serving plate.  Hold the plate and tin firmly and give it a good shake to loosen the ice cream.  Lift away the tin and gently peel off the clingfilm.

I served this as part of a buffet, and it looked very nice served with the slices running down the centre of the plate, and with a few whole ratafias and fresh physalis, their papery covers peeled back to reveal the orange fruit within, laid in clusters either side.

Preserved Clementines in Brandy or Liqueur

12 Clementines
6 cloves
100g caster sugar
625ml brandy, Grand Marnier or Cointreau

You will also need 2 x 500ml preserving jars

Preheat the oven to 140C/gas1/Fan120c.  Wash the two jars in very hot soapy water.  Rinse them thoroughly and put them in the oven for 20 minutes, so that they are sterilised and completely dry before you use them. 

Peel the Clementines and remove all the white pith from them.  Using a potato peeler, strip the very top of the peel from about four of the Clementines.  Slice that into very fine strips.  Divide the Clementines between the jars, leaving space at the top.  Add the sliced peel and cloves.

Put the sugar in a pan with 4 tablespoons of water.  Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, the simmer for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is syrupy.  Remove from the heat and add the brandy or liqueur.  Pour over the Clementines and seal the jars.  Keep in a cool dark place for up to three months.

« Last Edit: January 4, 2008, 12:19:43 pm by Maggie May »