Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 164273 times)

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #1040 on: August 7, 2022, 08:03:50 pm »
Never used Skygo but have you checked player setting (if there's such a thing)

Will give it a try next time ta
Believer

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1041 on: August 8, 2022, 12:22:11 pm »
I use skygo for the footy and connect to my tv with hdmi. Worked fine last season but now the picture is really juddery. It’s fine on the laptop but just goes that way when connected to the tv.

I get that they’d want to discourage people sharing logins but is there any technical workaround that anyone’s aware of?

I remember that I had something similar a few years ago, not with skygo, but when watching a stream within a web browser on the laptop which was then connected to the TV via HDMI.  Was fine on the laptop but juddered when playing on the TV if I went full screen.

I'm sure that it was something to do with a setting related to the display.  Something like setting the external display to the primary monitor and not extended?

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: August 8, 2022, 08:50:50 pm »
I remember that I had something similar a few years ago, not with skygo, but when watching a stream within a web browser on the laptop which was then connected to the TV via HDMI.  Was fine on the laptop but juddered when playing on the TV if I went full screen.

I'm sure that it was something to do with a setting related to the display.  Something like setting the external display to the primary monitor and not extended?

Thanks for your response mate I’ll have a look for that next time
Believer

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: August 17, 2022, 04:36:43 pm »
So I found a workaround in case anyone else has this issue as there were no player settings as far as I could see. Basically if I manually increased the screen size of the app it was ok as long as I didn’t go full screen:

Believer

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: August 17, 2022, 06:04:30 pm »
Gah, your poor telly be getting icon burn though!

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: August 18, 2022, 09:56:37 am »
What's icon burn?
Believer

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: August 18, 2022, 10:17:45 am »
just meant they're gonna be static on your TV for a long time and might get some burn in

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1047 on: August 18, 2022, 10:48:11 am »
What's icon burn?

Only an issue if you have OLED or the old style plasma.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: August 18, 2022, 02:12:02 pm »
just meant they're gonna be static on your TV for a long time and might get some burn in

Right, ah well it's a price worth paying.  TV will need an upgrade by that point anyway  ;)
Believer

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: August 18, 2022, 02:30:46 pm »

Can happen on LCD as well

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1050 on: August 18, 2022, 02:44:50 pm »
Can happen on LCD as well

I think the screen would have to be faulty for that to happen. If you scroll the AV forums for TV buying I think you can safely say that screen burn won’t happen on an LCD screen and there’s a small chance of it happening on an OLED.  Laptops use LCD screens for that very reason, so that screenburn doesn’t occur with the static images that can be left on screen for hours on end. We look after 5000ish laptops at work and in over 20 years we’ve never had 1 screenburn issue with an LCD.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 02:48:13 pm by jonnypb »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: October 29, 2022, 09:13:38 am »
I was fucking about trying to find my log in details for Sky Go, and I came across something that suggests you can have more than 1 person signed up to use your subscription but it looks to be separate from Sky Go. Anyone know the craic with this?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1052 on: October 29, 2022, 01:50:31 pm »
I was fucking about trying to find my log in details for Sky Go, and I came across something that suggests you can have more than 1 person signed up to use your subscription but it looks to be separate from Sky Go. Anyone know the craic with this?

I think you can have up to 6 devices registered to use Skygo on your account. Then depending on your subscription you can either stream on 2 or 4 devices at the same time.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1053 on: December 6, 2022, 04:30:50 pm »
I see Sky are now going to charge you for the privilege of being able to skip the adverts on live paused programmes and catch up TV. This will be the death knell for me, don't use it much anyway but will be binning the last remaining package I have off rather than paying an additional £5 a month for the privilege of forwarding the adverts. It's not like they don't charge enough anyway, the robbing bastards
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1054 on: December 6, 2022, 04:52:04 pm »
I see Sky are now going to charge you for the privilege of being able to skip the adverts on live paused programmes and catch up TV. This will be the death knell for me, don't use it much anyway but will be binning the last remaining package I have off rather than paying an additional £5 a month for the privilege of forwarding the adverts. It's not like they don't charge enough anyway, the robbing bastards

At present subscribers are retroactively ring fenced, if you have a current Sky Q/Sky Glass sub you're fine for 18 months.  A friend of a friend works for Sky in the marketing/sales department, Sky are basically blaming ITV and Channel 4, they've received shite from both because both channels predominantly rely on advertising revenue and the ability to not watch the ads is eating into that revenue which is obviously complete bollocks but apparently that's their reasoning.

I've always been kinda okay with paying for my subscription, I pay roughly £100 PCM but that's for basically everything including broadband, I'm too lazy to sort an IPTV sub out and luckily we're in a position where we can pay for convenience.  That said, the minute they put this on my bill is the day I actually do get off my arse and sort out something else, just out of principle.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1055 on: December 6, 2022, 08:05:00 pm »
Same. I've resisted IPTV because it's so far behind live for the football, but fuck it I'll just not go on Twitter for a tenner a month.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: December 7, 2022, 09:50:03 am »
Same. I've resisted IPTV because it's so far behind live for the football, but fuck it I'll just not go on Twitter for a tenner a month.

With a decent provider you can be as little as 15-20 seconds behind live TV. The couple I have now are a bit shit and I'd be lucky to find a decent stream that is less than a minute behind. Recently the best I could find on a game was nearly 3 minutes. It's worth paying a bit extra with IPTV and I'd definitely get opinions from others if you can before buying one, even if you have had a free trial.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1057 on: December 8, 2022, 02:27:54 pm »
With a decent provider you can be as little as 15-20 seconds behind live TV. The couple I have now are a bit shit and I'd be lucky to find a decent stream that is less than a minute behind. Recently the best I could find on a game was nearly 3 minutes. It's worth paying a bit extra with IPTV and I'd definitely get opinions from others if you can before buying one, even if you have had a free trial.
I find that the Sky/BT Channels are the closest to "live" rather than the overseas ones but I prefer not to indulge myself with Tyler & Neville and Fletch & Macca if I can avoid it and I also find the picture is better on NBC, for example, and I much prefer their coverage to the UK ones.

I can handle being behind the action anyway, stay out of What's App groups and online for a couple of hours and there's no issue really.

I have two subs, one cost £40 and the other is now £50 for 12 months, it was £30 when I first signed up and you can watch on two TVs at the same time with that one too which is an added bonus

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1058 on: December 8, 2022, 02:29:43 pm »
At present subscribers are retroactively ring fenced, if you have a current Sky Q/Sky Glass sub you're fine for 18 months.  A friend of a friend works for Sky in the marketing/sales department, Sky are basically blaming ITV and Channel 4, they've received shite from both because both channels predominantly rely on advertising revenue and the ability to not watch the ads is eating into that revenue which is obviously complete bollocks but apparently that's their reasoning.

I've always been kinda okay with paying for my subscription, I pay roughly £100 PCM but that's for basically everything including broadband, I'm too lazy to sort an IPTV sub out and luckily we're in a position where we can pay for convenience.  That said, the minute they put this on my bill is the day I actually do get off my arse and sort out something else, just out of principle.
cheers that's good to know

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1059 on: December 9, 2022, 01:09:43 am »
Sky offering customers 6 months free AppleTV via the MySky Sky VIP offers
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1060 on: December 9, 2022, 10:48:39 am »
Do you have to take Apple TV+ through their platform like Netflix to get that? I get mine through Apple One sub.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1061 on: December 9, 2022, 02:16:33 pm »
Do you have to take Apple TV+ through their platform like Netflix to get that? I get mine through Apple One sub.
No, I’ve just checked and it’s available via the app on our TV (not using Sky Q app).
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: December 9, 2022, 09:34:41 pm »
Cheers, will have to have a look cos apple usually credit back if you've got a promotion.

Some good stuff on there, new eps of Slow Horses and Echo 3 for after the footy ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: December 9, 2022, 10:28:23 pm »
Took up that option just now as well. Will have to remember to cancel in 6 months ;D

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: December 10, 2022, 04:16:12 am »
Took up that option just now as well. Will have to remember to cancel in 6 months ;D

Just cancel now, fairly certain you still get the remainder of the trial.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1065 on: December 10, 2022, 12:46:54 pm »
do you have to recontract with Sky, as I am on the verge of dumping it

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1066 on: December 10, 2022, 12:48:10 pm »
yes you do, I've never paid for an Apple subscription, just keep using free offers from various sources, had pretty much two years worth so far, just keep cancelling as soon as you subscribe so you don't forget to cancel

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1067 on: December 10, 2022, 01:01:09 pm »
Just checked, my current 3 month free Apple TV runs out in January so I'll take this offer then which will see me through to mid-July

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: December 10, 2022, 05:27:15 pm »
How?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: December 11, 2022, 04:06:08 pm »
How?

On iPhone it’s something like name/subscriptions/Apple TV/cancel.  It gives you a renewal date and tells you that if you cancel you can watch until that date.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: December 11, 2022, 07:47:50 pm »
Noticed they're doing a new streaming thing, why the hell they always have to link it to hardware and not just offer a sub through SkyGo is beyond me.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: December 16, 2022, 08:47:45 am »
Checked my bank yesterday morning and £105 taken out by sky , hadn’t realised my contract had run the 18 months so from £58 to £105 for everything inc Netflix but no Bt and inc multi room sky’q . Called last night straight through and the lad offered it straight away for £62 for 18 months . Couldn’t be arsed haggling for £4 so was pretty happy with that .

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: December 17, 2022, 08:37:48 am »
Mine went up to £126 after my contract had run out. Binned off TV and upgraded to the Ultrafast BB for £8 a month cheaper than the shite I had. Just need to find a reliable IPTV service now.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: December 17, 2022, 09:25:41 pm »
Mine went up to £126 after my contract had run out. Binned off TV and upgraded to the Ultrafast BB for £8 a month cheaper than the shite I had. Just need to find a reliable IPTV service now.

It’s the reliable bit that does my head in , had all sorts but always end up Buffering or not getting the game on or a shite picture so happy with the new deal

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: December 18, 2022, 09:31:33 am »
I've got one on a trial now for a bit, but I've hardly used it. I'll get using it properly when the football starts back next week. But for the couple of times I have had it on it appears to be pretty decent.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: December 18, 2022, 11:54:18 am »
The one I currently use is absolutely spot on, had it about a year. Never needed a VPN so far, a lot of the channels are in full HD but more importantly have a 50fps frame rate. So many providers are all 25fps and it just looks too jittery and unwatchable. You need a referral from an existing member and I think it takes him a week or so to sign new users up but the support is spot on via a Telegram channel should you need it.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: December 23, 2022, 12:03:56 pm »
My TV package just went up from £31 to £50

I only have sky signature and Sky Sports Pack so rang up to cancel it and they've knocked it back down to £31 for 18 months which is probably the max I will pay.

He did mention the 'sky go+' service where basically I can share my subscription with someone else who can then watch my sky subscription using either phone/tablet or console.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #1077 on: January 4, 2023, 01:41:49 pm »
I would like to pass on the problem I’ve got with new SkyQ box which was set up by Sky engineer 5 weeks ago.
I’d had my previous Sky+ box for 15 years plus.

It was sat on the bottom shelf of a 3 tier smoked glass tv stand which is 15 years old. It’s 1200mm wide and 450mm deep.

Noticed the box ran hot to the touch on the top left hand side. I read that this is normal but wasn’t happy with it.

We were awakened at 1.30am on Tuesday morning with what sounded like a rumble of thunder followed by a loud thud reminiscent of when a ceiling fell in years ago. Checked upstairs and all good.

Found the living room/dining rooms a disaster area as the middle glass shelf had shattered into thousands of pieces some large but mostly pearl size. The thud was the Sonos soundbar hitting the skyQ box shelf below.

Lucky no one was around when it happened as sharp pieces found yards to each side. None came forward into the room, which may have been luck or designed to go sideways?

Shocked but cleared up the entrance to the rooms and left the bulk for later as we went back to bed and tried to get some sleep. The SkyQ had been recording a 1970 World Cup memories for 100 minutes until 01.25 when it stopped and the shelf shattered a few minutes later. I’ve read that tempered glass can shatter if exposed to high temperatures which is news to me.

A Sky engineer coming on Friday afternoon to check out if it’s faulty and to see why it won’t go into standby mode as it did when engineer set it up. Read on Sky community that the boxes run hotter than old ones but they have a cooling system in them so it’s not a problem. Hardly reassuring.

Just want to pass on a heads up if anyone has a glass shelf with a SkyQ box situated underneath it.

I’ve since put the new box behind the tv on the top shelf of a 2 tier glass shelf console and will now look for a wooden console.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: January 5, 2023, 03:04:29 pm »
Christ. I've had the sky Q box propped up on lego bricks for years so it gets airflow all around. I realise this isn't to everyone's decor tastes but it's low down so you can't even see them ;D

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #1079 on: January 7, 2023, 10:38:39 am »
Christ. I've had the sky Q box propped up on lego bricks for years so it gets airflow all around. I realise this isn't to everyone's decor tastes but it's low down so you can't even see them ;D

Having read the minuscule Sky booklet that was in the box, you’ve done the right thing. :wellin

Says in order to ensure a free flow of air around the box allow at least 10cm of space around exposed faces. Also an extensive list of advice.

Ensure airflow does not become impeded by newspapers or carpet or similar. Do not place close to sources of heat such as a heater or direct sunlight! The ambient temperature must not exceed 45C and do not place in an enclosed cabinet or above or below any other pieces of electronics such as a DVD player. Your set top box and remote control are are for use in moderate climates. Do not put anything on top of your box and avoid putting it on natural wood, antiques or any delicate surface which may easily damaged by heat.

Doubt it was envisaged that the U.K. would see temperatures approaching 40C as we saw in July. We were not in a moderate climate that week.

Sky engineer came yesterday and agreed to change the SkyQ box for a new one and send old one for examination.
Wouldn’t admit that glass was shattered due to heat from new box but when I asked what the design operating temperature was didn’t have an answer. The fact that they admit it’s got a cooling system in it says they know it runs hot and want to cool it.

I had a thermometer on the top of the box which rose way above the 30C max on its scale. Probably 40-50C my guess.
Engineer said they haven’t had anyone reporting a fire or glass breaking due to their SkyQ boxes to her knowledge.

Guess you need to watch where you position the box and I would say switch off from the mains supply if going on holiday in the summer. Catch-up means you don’t need to record.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!