Author Topic: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????  (Read 66830 times)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????
« Reply #600 on: September 30, 2022, 10:56:32 pm »
Brilliant player, remember being gutted he was on the brink of going to Barcelona, was so glad that moved never happened, he was pretty good that final season, didn't begrudge him going to Real.

Was so good with the ball at his feet, he loved that free role Roy Evans gave him, such a pity him and Fowler didn't win more trophies together.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #601 on: October 1, 2022, 12:09:43 am »
Brilliant player, remember being gutted he was on the brink of going to Barcelona, was so glad that moved never happened, he was pretty good that final season, didn't begrudge him going to Real.

Was so good with the ball at his feet, he loved that free role Roy Evans gave him, such a pity him and Fowler didn't win more trophies together.

Weren’t Barca dicking him and us about a bit? Think they signed Rivaldo but used their interest in him to get the deal done. And we may have been open to accepting the money. All a bit hazy now!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #602 on: October 1, 2022, 08:00:49 am »
Weren’t Barca dicking him and us about a bit? Think they signed Rivaldo but used their interest in him to get the deal done. And we may have been open to accepting the money. All a bit hazy now!
From what I remember, we agreed a £12m fee with Barcelona but Macca couldn’t agree personal terms. I think he knew he’d be able to leave on a free in the summer so he was expecting the kind of wages a free signing could request.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #603 on: October 1, 2022, 08:07:56 am »
From what I remember, we agreed a £12m fee with Barcelona but Macca couldn’t agree personal terms. I think he knew he’d be able to leave on a free in the summer so he was expecting the kind of wages a free signing could request.

Think that was the summer of 97 so he stayed another 2 seasons with us.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #604 on: October 1, 2022, 08:20:37 am »
He was my favourite player along with Fowler and Rob Jones.
His creativity and ability to carry the ball was so effective for that team. That mid 90s team really was talented and I'd say on par with Utd. We just wasn't as consistent as them and massively underachieved.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #605 on: October 1, 2022, 08:42:03 am »
I don't like any pundits

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #606 on: October 1, 2022, 09:00:02 am »
shitbag and a snide

A 15-year-old post that's aged remarkably well....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #607 on: October 1, 2022, 09:09:32 am »
Far from it. Underrated by many in my opinion. In that mid 90's team he was electric. Both him and Fowler were unplayable.
Yes. I’d like to see someone’s workings on the ‘overrated’ shout.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #608 on: October 1, 2022, 06:40:16 pm »
I don't like any pundits

Nor did McManaman...

"I would just hate to see myself up there like a lot of them are now, sniping and criticising. I think it's absolutely awful. And the fact that they do it for a few quid just irritates me." - Steve McManaman in 2003.

^ To be fair it was 5 years before he decided to snipe and criticise Liverpool fans for simply protesting against Gillet & Hicks.

Or 4 years before he, as 'Setanta Chief Pundit', told the viewers he didn't want Liverpool to win the '07 Champions League Final... as he grew up a blue, and didn't want us to win things... apart from maybe for his mate Robbie Fowler, who was back with us at that time.

Seems the further lure of the punditry £$£s somehow changed his mind, and heart, since then.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 06:43:35 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #609 on: October 4, 2022, 03:11:01 pm »
Nor did McManaman...

"I would just hate to see myself up there like a lot of them are now, sniping and criticising. I think it's absolutely awful. And the fact that they do it for a few quid just irritates me." - Steve McManaman in 2003.

I was got access to the Riverside Players lounge after a Liverpool match against Middlesbrough - it was around 1995 and Liverpool lost 2-1 due to the brilliance of Jouninho. While in the lounge I collected autographs - I was about 15 at the time. I always remember McManaman criticising the in-house club commentator who you could hear on the TVs as the match was being replayed. He was chatting to Fowler and they were laughing at the poor quality of the commentary.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #610 on: November 5, 2022, 12:30:16 am »
Was on Josh Widdecombe's 90s football podcast this week. Was the usual stuff, inoffensive until he said "Liverpool and Real Madrid are the same type of club."

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline KloppCorn

• Kopite
« Reply #611 on: November 6, 2022, 09:42:50 am »
He was always a snake. Who cares he never drops gems or tactical breakdowns. All he does is speak in cliches like those other three rats Owen,Murphy and Carra. I actually like that tool G Nev over them he’s actually a weirdo tho. Only commentator I like is Ian Wright really and truly.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #612 on: November 7, 2022, 12:13:28 pm »
His commentatING is really annoyING, isn't it Fletch? What was that, someone just chokeslammed Mo Salah in the box? Nope, nothing wrong with that Fletch, that's fine by me.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
Steve McManaman at the academy
« Reply #613 on: March 4, 2024, 05:45:54 pm »
From the "Liverpool confidental" piece on the Daily Mail it mentions:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13154787/Liverpool-confidetial-Ruben-Amorim-Jurgen-Klopp-successors-Xabi-Alonso-Egypt-Mohamed-Salah.html

MCMANAMAN TAKES HAND-ON ROLE

Former Liverpool academy graduate Steve McManaman has emerged as a key voice around the academy, with the Anfield legend and ex-Real Madrid star often acting as an advisory figure for youth coaches.

McManaman often attends youth matches, such as the FA Youth Cup match at Leeds last week, and gets involved with training sessions in Kirkby.

He deals regularly with the likes of Under 18s boss Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and youth analyst Scott Mason.

The TNT Sports pundit joins in with sessions with a hands-on approach - if he can still keep up with the players! - and offers advice and opinions to youth coaches on how to deal with the personal side of getting the best out of the up-and-coming starlets

He also talks about it a little in an interview with "Sign Up" here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE2KiUZqE14

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Steve McManaman at the academy
« Reply #614 on: March 4, 2024, 05:54:56 pm »
DepressING.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: March 4, 2024, 06:02:31 pm »
For a guy that never seems to be able to outright praise Liverpool when he is doing games - this seems weird.

But - there is no doubt that as an Academy success story - his voice may carry some (good) weight for players and coaches alike.

As long as he isn't contradicting the message from the top (though it will be a new message soon).

Online Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #616 on: March 4, 2024, 06:05:48 pm »
Eh? Why are the press making out this is a new thing?

He's being doing this since October 2013. So has Rob Jones - who works with the full backs. Orignally Fowler worked with the strikers too.

I've said on various threads several times that it just makes his attitude to the club in commentary even more bewildering.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: March 4, 2024, 06:28:43 pm »
This ain;t new. He's been an advisor to the youth kids for about a decade.  ;D

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #618 on: March 4, 2024, 09:49:44 pm »