Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 333158 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)
« Reply #5040 on: December 5, 2022, 10:35:35 pm »
Snow before mid December? Bloody hell, it's going to be carnage for heating bills.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5041 on: December 5, 2022, 10:45:01 pm »
No, no, no to snow and ice and other forms of cold snaps.  I have to travel from Anglesey to Barnsley/Sheffield and back 6 times before Xmas, starting early next Wednesday morning.

North Wales will probably be ok but Woodhead Pass FFS not a chance 😡

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5042 on: December 6, 2022, 09:29:31 am »
If somewhere in the UK reaches -18c before the end of the month (and parts of Scotland are forecast to do so), it'll be the first time that the UK will have recorded both 0f and 100f in the same year.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5043 on: December 6, 2022, 09:39:07 am »
If somewhere in the UK reaches -18c before the end of the month (and parts of Scotland are forecast to do so), it'll be the first time that the UK will have recorded both 0f and 100f in the same year.
Whilst that would look impressive on the record books, not even Tallinn or Skellefteå are forecast to get lower than -13 in the coming week. Any signs of it getting even colder than that, Nobby? The only place on the charts I see the 510 line is over North East Canada ;)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5044 on: December 6, 2022, 09:44:34 am »
No, no, no to snow and ice and other forms of cold snaps.  I have to travel from Anglesey to Barnsley/Sheffield and back 6 times before Xmas, starting early next Wednesday morning.

North Wales will probably be ok but Woodhead Pass FFS not a chance 😡

Because of the rail strikes, I have to go to London by road in January, leaving at 3.30am. My friend is flying back home from Gatwick. I can do without worrying if the gritters have done their job properly.  :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5045 on: December 6, 2022, 09:53:13 am »
Because of the rail strikes, I have to go to London by road in January, leaving at 3.30am. My friend is flying back home from Gatwick. I can do without worrying if the gritters have done their job properly.  :(

Ooh that's not good mate.  Early morning starts are the worst in bad weather.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5046 on: December 6, 2022, 10:01:01 am »

So long as there isn't heavy snow, the motorways will be fine. You're doing the M6, M42, M40 and M25 - these carry a huge amount of freight so they will be gritted to death to keep them flowing.

Snow before mid December? Bloody hell, it's going to be carnage for heating bills.

This is the thing - I'm sitting in the living room with the heating off, its 16c in here. Luckily the sun has risen above the houses at the back, so the room will be warmed right up.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5047 on: December 6, 2022, 10:38:48 am »
Whilst that would look impressive on the record books, not even Tallinn or Skellefteå are forecast to get lower than -13 in the coming week. Any signs of it getting even colder than that, Nobby? The only place on the charts I see the 510 line is over North East Canada ;)

Each of GFS, ECMWF and GEM models have, over the past 48 hours, churned out charts showing it tipping that at some point or other. This is GEM for next week showing -19 in the Peak District. Most have put the lowest mins over northern Scotland.

And no, the 510dam line isn't close (itdrifts across Norway/Sweden later today before retreating northwards). Like I said, the air aloft isn't really cold.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5048 on: December 6, 2022, 10:48:40 am »

Each of GFS, ECMWF and GEM models have, over the past 48 hours, churned out charts showing it tipping that at some point or other. This is GEM for next week showing -19 in the Peak District. Most have put the lowest mins over northern Scotland.

And no, the 510dam line isn't close (itdrifts across Norway/Sweden later today before retreating northwards). Like I said, the air aloft isn't really cold.
Thoughts and prayers for me whenever the air does get colder. I can already see my breath inside my house.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5049 on: December 6, 2022, 11:35:41 am »
Thoughts and prayers for me whenever the air does get colder. I can already see my breath inside my house.

Sorry.

By 'air aloft' I was meaniong the 850hPa temperature, which is taken around 1.5km above the ground, at approx the atmosptheric boundary layer. It doesn't always correspond directly with ground temps (ie, you could have 'clean' high pressure right over the UK in mid-winter, where the air 1.5km up isn't especially cold but, due to still air and lack of cloud, nights would be cold; it would lead to a 'home grown' surface cold pool.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5050 on: December 6, 2022, 11:48:53 am »
Ooh that's not good mate.  Early morning starts are the worst in bad weather.

Indeed. It's over 7 hours by road, and that's assuming there are no issues. Not as bad as you having to travel Barnsley and Sheffield and back six times, but for someone who has anxiety and is used to travelling to London first class by train it's basically my worst nightmare.  :o  Plus, I'll have to travel back by coach on my own. I've held off booking that in case the strikes got cancelled, but now I think it's more likely to escalate. :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5051 on: December 6, 2022, 11:51:56 am »
So long as there isn't heavy snow, the motorways will be fine. You're doing the M6, M42, M40 and M25 - these carry a huge amount of freight so they will be gritted to death to keep them flowing.

This is the thing - I'm sitting in the living room with the heating off, its 16c in here. Luckily the sun has risen above the houses at the back, so the room will be warmed right up.

Yeah. I can't remember the exact route, but it includes stops at Manchester, Birmingham and Reading. Gritters have been caught napping before, but one would hope by January everything is running and doing its job.

my place has been hovering around 16-17c too. Nothing I can't handle without a housecoast/cardie and or a hot water bottle, but then I live alone and I've lived in colder places. Even so, I've started putting the heating on for 40 minutes here or there to bump it up to 18c. I can only light so many candles.  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5052 on: December 6, 2022, 11:57:43 am »
Indeed. It's over 7 hours by road, and that's assuming there are no issues. Not as bad as you having to travel Barnsley and Sheffield and back six times, but for someone who has anxiety and is used to travelling to London first class by train it's basically my worst nightmare.  :o  Plus, I'll have to travel back by coach on my own. I've held off booking that in case the strikes got cancelled, but now I think it's more likely to escalate. :(

Mine's a combination of work and collecting then returning granddaughters so absolutely not essential or worth risking accidents and injuries for but annoying all the same if it's not doable.

I'm hoping that it'll all blow out as a non starter before I set off on Wednesday morning but the BBC forecast is showing snow for the Barnsley area starting on Tuesday right through to Friday so not looking good.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5053 on: December 6, 2022, 12:00:59 pm »

EEK!  :o  scorchio.....

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5054 on: December 6, 2022, 12:04:42 pm »
Mine's a combination of work and collecting then returning granddaughters so absolutely not essential or worth risking accidents and injuries for but annoying all the same if it's not doable.

I'm hoping that it'll all blow out as a non starter before I set off on Wednesday morning but the BBC forecast is showing snow for the Barnsley area starting on Tuesday right through to Friday so not looking good.

Yeah, the forecast is pretty ambiguous depending on which site you look at. The Met Office site is pissing me off - shows it cold and cloudy up to the 12th, with no suggestion snow is even possible. On the other hand, Weather.com is predicting rain/snow - most likely sleet - as early as this Friday/Saturday, and that's just in Liverpool.

The days it might be sunny it will still be cold, which to my uneducated brain just means it's more likely any snow/sleet that falls will just freeze rather than melt; so if we get several dustings it will make local roads and pavements treacherous.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5055 on: December 9, 2022, 09:57:13 am »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63912257

Kelvin-Helmholtz: Rare wave clouds amaze sky-watchers in Wyoming

By Max Matza
BBC News

Stunned sky-watchers in the US state of Wyoming have snapped photos of a rare cloud formation crashing across the horizon like ocean surf.

"This was special and I immediately knew I needed to capture it," said local Rachel Gordon.

The billowy phenomenon was visible on Tuesday above the crest of the Bighorn Mountains from the city of Sheridan.

Known as Kelvin-Helmholtz instability, they form when a faster stream of air moves above rising air below.

Ms Gordon, who told BBC News she took the images from her parents' back door before posting them to the Facebook page Wyoming through The Lens, said: "It was an awe-inspiring moment.

"I'm just glad others can enjoy the experience now, too."

BBC Weather's Matt Taylor says the pictures are one of the most stunning and epic examples of Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds he has ever seen.

"Part of the beauty of Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds is that they really show up the fluidity of the atmosphere," he said.

"How, like waves in the ocean, the atmosphere moves and responds to the environment around it. The air is effectively rising up and tumbling over on itself."

The cloud formation is named after scientists Lord Kelvin and Hermann von Helmholtz, who studied the physics behind the phenomenon.

The UK-based Cloud Appreciation Society describes such formations as the crown jewel in many cloud spotters' collections.

Also known as fluctus clouds, they are seen as a possible inspiration for Van Gogh's painting Starry Night.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5056 on: December 9, 2022, 10:02:06 am »
Went for diesel at 7am this morning, -5c, clear sky, full moon, was a lovely morning.

Missus said I then had to run my lad to school cos, the soft twat left his coat there and he's got a cough.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5057 on: December 9, 2022, 10:54:12 am »
Just had our first snow falling from the sky..in mossley hill.was very brief buy lovely to see. The Mrs lives in caergwle in north Wales and said it's been on and off all morning .expecting a band of shower to pass here this afternoon around 3pm onwards.im in work at two so will miss out on the fun if there is any.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5058 on: December 9, 2022, 10:57:31 am »
Just had our first snow falling from the sky..in mossley hill.was very brief buy lovely to see. The Mrs lives in caergwle in north Wales and said it's been on and off all morning .expecting a band of shower to pass here this afternoon around 3pm onwards.im in work at two so will miss out on the fun if there is any.

Beautiful day here today, no sign of snow so far. I'm off at 12 until Tuesday, off to town tomorrow for the day - a bit of snow and the Christmas lights will take me back to being a kid.

Does Lewis's still do the Christmas window displays, loved them as a kid.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5059 on: December 9, 2022, 11:06:24 am »
Watch them Rob, especially as your kids get older and spend more time in the shower. They are 8-12 Kwh which is £2.75-4 per hour. I didn't realise how much they used until an electrician told me. Our kids were 20 odd minutes a day when they were teens.

Wankers.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5060 on: December 9, 2022, 11:07:04 am »
Beautiful day here today, no sign of snow so far. I'm off at 12 until Tuesday, off to town tomorrow for the day - a bit of snow and the Christmas lights will take me back to being a kid.

Does Lewis's still do the Christmas window displays, loved them as a kid.

The snow showers are coming in off the Irish Sea but on a NNW'ly, so at present too far west for your area (and, just, mine). A small chance of a broader band of snow overnight (for once, I hope not too much as we're flying out of Manc at daft-o'clock in the morning)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5061 on: December 9, 2022, 11:36:09 am »

The snow showers are coming in off the Irish Sea but on a NNW'ly, so at present too far west for your area (and, just, mine). A small chance of a broader band of snow overnight (for once, I hope not too much as we're flying out of Manc at daft-o'clock in the morning)

Check that the M56 isn't closed for the ongoing roadworks, they've been closing it all weekend recently

I'll be in Yates's and Mathew Street tomorrow, missus is taking me to her favourite haunts. Might nip into the First national, as that's where we met
« Last Edit: December 9, 2022, 11:37:48 am by robbed1966kidsbikesoffsanta »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5062 on: December 9, 2022, 11:42:03 am »
Check that the M56 isn't closed for the ongoing roadworks, they've been closing it all weekend recently

:thumbup

Thanks for the heads-up, Rob

(PS - we've just had our first shower here... and it was rain/sleet  :lmao  FFS.

24/7 - Temp: 1c  /   Dew Point -1c    /    850hPa temp: -6c   /    'thickness' sub-528dam /   how is rain even possible?!?!)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5063 on: December 9, 2022, 12:04:07 pm »

:thumbup

Thanks for the heads-up, Rob

(PS - we've just had our first shower here... and it was rain/sleet  :lmao  FFS.

24/7 - Temp: 1c  /   Dew Point -1c    /    850hPa temp: -6c   /    'thickness' sub-528dam /   how is rain even possible?!?!)

Hopefully its not closed, but they been sending traffic up the M62 then around the M60 to rejoin the M56 at Jct 5 when the diversions are in place.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5064 on: December 9, 2022, 12:31:08 pm »
Hopefully its not closed, but they been sending traffic up the M62 then around the M60 to rejoin the M56 at Jct 5 when the diversions are in place.

There's closures, but west of where I join (M6)

We've also had a snow shower, which was nice. First of the season.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5065 on: December 9, 2022, 12:33:23 pm »

I'll be in Yates's and Mathew Street tomorrow, missus is taking me to her favourite haunts. Might nip into the First national, as that's where we met
Hate to snow on your parade but it's now The Old Bank and a cough cough supposedly a gastro place. Maybe head onto Brunswick and Jürgen's bar for your missus to enjoy.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5066 on: December 9, 2022, 12:34:14 pm »
Heavy hail in north Liverpool just now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5067 on: December 9, 2022, 12:49:53 pm »
Heavy hail in north Liverpool just now.

A horrible mix of rain, hail, and sleet. Just wet and cold. Where's the proper snow?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5068 on: December 9, 2022, 01:01:10 pm »
It's turned to snow here now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5069 on: December 9, 2022, 01:15:10 pm »
Went away on Monday and stupidly left the heating completely off. Worried I'm going to have frozen/burst pipes now when I get back later this afternoon. Still, guess I'll have saved on the gas bill.....

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5070 on: December 9, 2022, 02:10:25 pm »
Went away on Monday and stupidly left the heating completely off. Worried I'm going to have frozen/burst pipes now when I get back later this afternoon. Still, guess I'll have saved on the gas bill.....

I can put in tough with a very nice Hire company for your Dehumidifer and all other cleaning anddrying requirements :wave

Hate to snow on your parade but it's now The Old Bank and a cough cough supposedly a gastro place. Maybe head onto Brunswick and Jürgen's bar for your missus to enjoy.

Ah, bollocks to that then.

I'm sure she'd love Jurgens bar ;D  She was bad enough when she got dragged into the souvenir shop in town to get our youngests kit ;D

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5071 on: December 9, 2022, 02:24:32 pm »

Yep, The First National closed down a few years ago, after they got a big fine for showing Saturday 3pm matches.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5072 on: December 9, 2022, 02:25:36 pm »
Just had a dusting of sleet, it's going to be fun in a few hours when it turns to ice.
#Sausages

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5073 on: December 9, 2022, 02:30:59 pm »
Yep, The First National closed down a few years ago, after they got a big fine for showing Saturday 3pm matches.

I got introduced to the missus after going in there after I'd been to the Blackburn game to meet a mutual friend, that was a 3pm Saturday game ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5074 on: December 9, 2022, 03:30:39 pm »
Just had a dusting of sleet, it's going to be fun in a few hours when it turns to ice.

And when it gets covered by more snow. 🙁

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5075 on: December 9, 2022, 03:46:52 pm »
Just had a look at the weather for Yakutsk in Siberia for tomorrow and next week. Its forecast to be a balmy -36c tomorrow, dropping to -38c overnight.  Wednesday sees a high of -44c. Fuck knows why anyone chooses to live there.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5076 on: December 9, 2022, 03:59:52 pm »
Just had a look at the weather for Yakutsk in Siberia for tomorrow and next week. Its forecast to be a balmy -36c tomorrow, dropping to -38c overnight.  Wednesday sees a high of -44c. Fuck knows why anyone chooses to live there.

Yakutsk  has recorded a record low of -64C :o average temperatures are below -30C until March. Daft thing is Yakutsk has recorded a summer temp of 38C, & average summer temps are around 25C.

Their's a place not far from Yakutsk that is colder, Oymyakon were the average temps are below -40C until March, & has recorded a low of -67C
#Sausages

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5077 on: December 9, 2022, 04:14:39 pm »
Yakutsk  has recorded a record low of -64C :o average temperatures are below -30C until March. Daft thing is Yakutsk has recorded a summer temp of 38C, & average summer temps are around 25C.

Their's a place not far from Yakutsk that is colder, Oymyakon were the average temps are below -40C until March, & has recorded a low of -67C

Looks lovely in Oymyakon

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5078 on: December 9, 2022, 04:17:10 pm »
A55 eastbound on Anglesey was closed this morning due to the number of accidents caused by black ice. 

FFS the council have one fucking road to grit and a week to plan for it and they still fail.

We've had hail here but no snow yet.

A client I should have been seeing tomorrow morning is stuck in Cheshire where it's snowed quite heavily and they've got -6° forecast.

I've already made contingencies for next week so I can delay going to Yorkshire on Wednesday if necessary but I'll not make a decision till Tuesday.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5079 on: December 9, 2022, 04:34:36 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...