Author Topic: Off Work On The Sick.  (Read 4457 times)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How sick would you have to be for you to stay off work?
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2019, 04:28:03 pm »
A cold and flu shouldn't be lumped in as one. If you actually have flu you wouldn't be going to work even if you wanted to.

Some sectors such as the NHS if you have D&V (diarrhoea and vomiting) you must be off for 48 hours or face a disciplinary.

Personally I rarely get a cold. I think I have probably been off for about 10 days in the last 10 years. Half of which I was in hospital after an operation in my throat and another couple of days with an ear infection years ago.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2019, 04:29:01 pm »
Strategically-planned "work" from home days are the answer to the hangover days off.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 04:39:12 pm »
Very, I haven't been off work sick since 1988.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Off Work On The Sick.
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 04:54:57 pm »
That's ridiculous and should be illegal.

We got bought in 2004 by a hedge fund bunch of c*nts and they brought it in as a cost cutting exercise, Tory fucking bastards and its never been rescinded since.

If I'm off work now, as far as I'm concerned they owe me 3 days pay, so I take a full two weeks off.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 05:06:01 pm »
Haven't missed a single minute since I started down the mines in 1784. 5 years old I was.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 05:09:43 pm »
Missed 3 days in 6 years due to illness where I couldn't talk or stand properly (I'm a teacher so kind of important) and missed 3 weeks signed off for stress in my last school I worked at before the one I'm at now. Not missed a day in my new place - been there since January.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 05:27:18 pm »
Almost 3 years off sick in 31 years. I did have one bout of serious illness which meant I was off for 2 1/2 years.

Hate it when fuckers come into work coughing and sneezing, you just know you will be ill within a couple of days. Our places shit policy of not getting sick pay for the first 3 days doesn't help.

Anyone who says they have gone to work while having the flu hasn't actually had the flu.

It always makes me laugh when people say they went to work with the Flu. If they could even get themselves out of bed and to their place of work, they've got a cold, not the Flu.

We all think we've got Flu ... until we actually get Flu. Then, you really do understand the difference. Last time I had it was around 20 years ago and it floored me for two weeks. I swear to this day that if somebody had said there was a jackpot winning lottery ticket downstairs but I had to get from my bed to the ticket in order to claim within 24 hours I'd have said sod it. Honestly, I wouldn't have cared less. I immediately understood how and why Flu kills so many people. These days I buy a Flu injection every year. No way am I going through that again if I have a chance of preventing it. That dose of Flu put me in bed for two weeks, but I took easily over a month to get back to normal again.

When I worked supporting elderly people I couldn't go in with a cold as it's against the rules for obvious reasons. In jobs where I worked outdoors I'd usually go in with a cold as you're not spreading your germs in a confined office space.

In my working life, absences have mainly been down to mental health / psychological issues rather than physical.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2019, 05:42:13 pm »
Missed 3 days in 6 years due to illness where I couldn't talk or stand properly

Yeah I've had that and all  :hally :hally

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2019, 06:16:58 pm »
Ah the "good old" protestant work ethic.  ::)

Something I could easily add to things that annoy you thread.

Bring on the 4 day week, ASAP!
If I don’t go to work one of my colleagues has to step into my shoes and do my job.

I’ve not been ill enough to make that pay off worth while in the last 10 years.

A couple of times I wouldn’t have gone into work, but they happened to coincide with holidays.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2019, 06:45:01 pm »
It always makes me laugh when people say they went to work with the Flu. If they could even get themselves out of bed and to their place of work, they've got a cold, not the Flu.

We all think we've got Flu ... until we actually get Flu. Then, you really do understand the difference. Last time I had it was around 20 years ago and it floored me for two weeks. I swear to this day that if somebody had said there was a jackpot winning lottery ticket downstairs but I had to get from my bed to the ticket in order to claim within 24 hours I'd have said sod it. Honestly, I wouldn't have cared less. I immediately understood how and why Flu kills so many people. These days I buy a Flu injection every year. No way am I going through that again if I have a chance of preventing it. That dose of Flu put me in bed for two weeks, but I took easily over a month to get back to normal again.

When I worked supporting elderly people I couldn't go in with a cold as it's against the rules for obvious reasons. In jobs where I worked outdoors I'd usually go in with a cold as you're not spreading your germs in a confined office space.

In my working life, absences have mainly been down to mental health / psychological issues rather than physical.

That's why I know I have had flu once, it floored me for two weeks and I was weak as anything for ages afterwards. I had most of my pericardium removed in 1999, I had to get a one time only pneumonia jab and I have to have a flu jab every year, as flu can and probably will kill me now.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2019, 07:27:41 pm »
I'm the same. I had the flu in the early 80s. You don't forget something like that.
Don't get flu jabs though. I don't see the point.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2019, 07:31:24 pm »
I had most of my pericardium removed in 1999

Is that the big between your area and your balls?

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2019, 07:38:29 pm »
Very, I haven't been off work sick since 1988.
Proper old school that John.  :) Nice one, I'm not far off you.

Man flu? Do me a favour... :wave
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2019, 07:38:46 pm »
I'm the same. I had the flu in the early 80s. You don't forget something like that.

For the average person, there probably isn't. For a lot of the population such as the elderly, people with asthma or in my case having no lining around my heart anymore, getting the flu is dangerous and potentially life threatening

Is that the big between your area and your balls?

No it isn't you perv  :D

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2019, 07:48:13 pm »

I've been sick enough to be in bed once a decade - 17, 28, 35 and 45.  The latter two were the worst, 2009 and 2018.  2009 was the swine flu outbreak, so I've always assumed it was that even though I never got an official diagnosis.  I remember being in bed, with PJs and housecoat, a hot water bottle, and every blanket in the damned house and I was STILL shaking.  I'd seen something on breakfast TV where they'd asked a doctor, "how do you know you have swine flu, and you're not just being a hypochondriac?", to which the doctor replied, "if you were walking down the street and saw £20 on the floor - but felt too ill to bend down and pick it up, THEN you have swine flu."  That was pretty much how I felt.

But last year was even worse.  Was some kind of chest infection, where I was bringing up loads of fluid and had the shakes so bad I couldn't use pots and pans - a friend came round and made soup for me.  My flat was an ice cube so rather than wasting money trying to heat two rooms I abandoned the bedroom and spent almost a full week sleeping on the couch, with my oil radiator on 24/7.  That was scary - think I was an ace away from pneumonia.

As a rule I've got a very tough immune system, but unusually for me this year I came down with a cold - normally I escape the October outbreak. Was annoying af but I was mostly functional.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2019, 07:58:47 pm »
For the average person, there probably isn't. For a lot of the population such as the elderly, people with asthma or in my case having no lining around my heart anymore, getting the flu is dangerous and potentially life threatening

No it isn't you perv  :D

Glad you could translate what I was trying to say anyway!

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2019, 08:17:27 pm »
Christmas 1998 the last time I had flu and it took the best part of 3wks to recover.

I was working in Liverpool at the time and started feeling ill driving in from Rufford a few days before Christmas, they took one look at me and sent me home.

I spent days on end sleeping but everytime I thought I felt a bit better and tried to shower or get dressed it knocked me back again.

I was so out of it I only found out how bad an epidemic it was when I got back to work and everyone at work had had some time off because of it.

I don't have much time off but I'm not often unwell enough to warrant it. 

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2019, 09:24:41 pm »
I never used to get sick very often but my son started in nursery school a few months ago and has been getting sick quite frequently, and I seem to be catching everything off him. I've caught two stomach bugs in the last 3 months and both times was vomiting for a few days and had a fever. First one I called in sick, second one I just told them I was working remotely because it had been so recent that I didn't think anyone would even believe me!

Luckily my work let us self certify for 3 days, but that's quite unusual here (Lisbon). In my first job here they docked our wages for each day and we still had to give a doctors note if we wanted to avoid disciplinary action.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2019, 09:35:40 pm »
Used to have crippling back pain that could immobilise me for a few days. Few times I tried working through it but it would always come back with a vengeance. Last time was two years ago and thats when I last took sick days. Thankfully since then I’ve discovered this place called gym - so my back are fine.

Never catch a cold either, nor would I take days off for it.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2019, 10:52:47 pm »
I've had 3 days off sick in 21 years. Literally had just been laid off from work on Christmas Eve 99 and had the flu, wrote me off for Christmas & the 1st week of the Millennium.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2019, 09:17:57 am »
All these hard people who have had 2 days off in 50 years are probably the reason the rest of the office/workplace get sick.  ::)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2019, 11:48:52 am »
All these hard people who have had 2 days off in 50 years are probably the reason the rest of the office/workplace get sick.  ::)
:lmao  brilliant

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2019, 11:53:19 am »
4 days off in the last year, but a couple of them were migraines where I'm just completely wiped out and no use to anyone.  There's some people in my team who are waaaay more fragile, but it is what it is.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2019, 11:54:12 am »
Depends if you care about the old or very young, or immuno-suppressed people in your life (or if you don't have any), ultimately

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2019, 03:04:53 pm »
Glad you could translate what I was trying to say anyway!

that's the perineum and i'd take a couple of days off sick if i found a girl who had the faintest idea what it was!

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2019, 03:07:38 pm »
Because of client determination of IR35 it looks like I may have to go perm.

In which case you can be sure I'll be taking full advantage of the paid sick leave quota.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2019, 05:01:13 pm »
I've taken a stack load of days over the years, but then I have a crippling blood disorder! Not arsed about taking days off sick either.  Companies work their employers to death and will get rid of you in a heartbeat if it benefits them.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2019, 05:15:06 pm »
I've taken a stack load of days over the years, but then I have a crippling blood disorder! Not arsed about taking days off sick either.  Companies work their employers to death and will get rid of you in a heartbeat if it benefits them.

I totally agree with you there. It's fine to be a conscientious employee, but don't kill yourself for them. My late dad would never stay off sick. He'd go in if his head was hanging off. He was a tradesman, had to breathe in all kinds of dangerous shite, ended up with COPD and cancer. Workers are like dish cloths. They get squeezed out, then they are discarded before the next in line comes in.

Work to live. Don't live to work.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2019, 08:14:32 pm »

Seen that done countless times. Director who would reply to my software design emails at 3 am on a Sunday morning, would work 7 days etc walked into work one morning to be greeted with keys and laptop please, youre gone.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2019, 08:36:31 pm »
Nothing worse than some tosser coming in work laid up to the eyeballs fecking coughing and sneezing every 5 mins spreading germs all over the place.

I try to stay away from work if I have a cold because I don't think its fair on the others.

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2019, 08:55:25 pm »
I totally agree with you there. It's fine to be a conscientious employee, but don't kill yourself for them. My late dad would never stay off sick. He'd go in if his head was hanging off. He was a tradesman, had to breathe in all kinds of dangerous shite, ended up with COPD and cancer. Workers are like dish cloths. They get squeezed out, then they are discarded before the next in line comes in.

Work to live. Don't live to work.

On the money. Nobody is indispensable and there's always someone who will take your place.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2019, 07:53:58 pm »
Nothing worse than some tosser coming in work laid up to the eyeballs fecking coughing and sneezing every 5 mins spreading germs all over the place.

I try to stay away from work if I have a cold because I don't think its fair on the others.
Yep. My company allows you to work from home as well so there is no excuse. Always remember an ex colleague who was pregnant going mental at a bloke who had come in with whooping cough. Dickhead. Needless to say the bosses told him to fuck off home.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2019, 02:48:29 pm »
I work from home full time so extremely rare that I take any, with no public transport or sat in an office all day I don't actually get ill very often now anyway so it's double bonus ;D

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2019, 08:40:17 pm »
I've had 3 days off sick in 21 years. Literally had just been laid off from work on Christmas Eve 99 and had the flu, wrote me off for Christmas & the 1st week of the Millennium.

Ah - so the millennium bug was real after all

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2019, 09:14:37 pm »
Ah - so the millennium bug was real after all

And my arl fella was the carrier ;D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2019, 09:23:07 pm »
I work from home full time so extremely rare that I take any, with no public transport or sat in an office all day I don't actually get ill very often now anyway so it's double bonus ;D

They call that the dole by ours.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:04 am »
They call that the dole by ours.

I'm sure everyone in our street thinks I don't work.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2019, 11:44:24 am »
First job I had was working in a bank at 16. My hate for the job was only surpassed by the office manager's hatred of me. He was an utter shithouse and he really did have it in for me. After about 18 months there, the despised 'inspectors' arrived for a visit. These were auditors who'd go through everything staff did - their work records, HR stuff, their bank accounts, etc.

My bank account was a fucking shambles. Since starting, I'd begun going out to the pub most nights, got properly into weed, and a mild addiction to fruit machines had become serious. They absolutely hammered me - but couldn't prove I'd stolen any money (I hadn't. Well, not much. Just when I needed a quick £10 or £20. But I'd masked it just about well enough).

But they did get me on something.

I'd been off sick for two days and, on the evening of the first day off, I'd used my cash card. I still remember it three decades on - I'd been ill day one with a really heavy cold, felt better after day in bed glugging Beechams and was all on for going back in the next day so went out to meet my mates down the pub, stopping at the cash machine on the way. Stayed an hour, felt like crap, so went home, Classic relapse case  :D. Morning came and I still was like shit so stayed off again.

The bastards accused me of faking it and used the cash card transaction as proof I was well enough to work. Ending up docking me a day's pay and issuing a formal warning about my bank account use. I fucked it off a few months later and got a new job.

Made me fucking paranoid about being off sick ever since.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2019, 04:04:06 pm »
How the fuck can they give you a warning about spending YOUR money!?

Gobshites.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2019, 04:11:23 pm »
They absolutely hammered me - but couldn't prove I'd stolen any money (I hadn't. Well, not much. Just when I needed a quick £10 or £20. But I'd masked it just about well enough).

:lmao