Author Topic: Main Stand Expansion (U/C) Pics and Progress in here  (Read 2508575 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Main Stand Expansion (U/C) Pics and Progress in here
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:54 pm »
Can't believe how small the kop is going to look compared with the Annie!

I don't think it will feel any less impressive. The Kop is already dwarfed by the Centenary:

The important thing about the Kop is that its a single tier.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2014, 02:19:32 pm »
What do you mean by dwarfed? Do you mean the Kop is tiny compared to the Main stand in height? I'm pretty sure there is not much difference to be honest. I think what you mean is the height of the 2 roof close to the pitch differ but I think the highest point on each stand similar.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:01:50 pm by ultimatewarrior »

Offline Pepe Reina Is Rafas Son

• This must be Pepe's Mother, who else would know?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:06 pm »
How long is the building work expected to last on the Main Stand?

Will there be a reduced capacity in the Main Stand during the building?

:wave
Stabbed your boss in the back, the man who made you fucking European Champions, and got in the man you wanted as manager. Just because Rafa wouldn't fucking cuddle you enough and fucking wank you off while telling you how fucking great you are.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2014, 10:46:42 pm »
How long is the building work expected to last on the Main Stand?

Will there be a reduced capacity in the Main Stand during the building?

:wave

Done by around Aug/Sept 2016.

No reduced capacity in the meantime, and hopefully not any when they come to join new to existing as should be done during the summer.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2014, 06:43:14 am »
I can't see any provision for the TV cameras (the printing on the sectional view is too small to decipher)? Will they be sited in the Centenary stand now?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2014, 07:59:34 am »
I can't see any provision for the TV cameras (the printing on the sectional view is too small to decipher)? Will they be sited in the Centenary stand now?

They're half way up the Main Stand so similar position to now.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2014, 08:20:17 am »
This is the view from the back row of the new stand.

Still a better view than anywhere at Goodison ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2014, 11:01:28 am »
Would it be heresy to suggest moving the camera's to the centenary permanently? That way we get to see the nice shiny new stand on the TV more?

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2014, 02:22:04 pm »
Would it be heresy to suggest moving the camera's to the centenary permanently? That way we get to see the nice shiny new stand on the TV more?

It would because it would confuse the shit out of me for a good two months of the first season with them there.

"did we win the toss?"... "i have no idea"

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2014, 02:32:33 pm »

There's nowhere for them to go so it's irrelevant.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline BigYan

• Main Stander
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »
The planning document shows that the cameras will be positioned in the upper tier of the new main stand.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:44 am »

The planning document shows that the cameras will be positioned in the upper tier of the new main stand.

Thanks guys

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2014, 08:13:56 pm »
They've started knocking down the second row of houses now. Would have got a pic but it would have been shite.

Offline RaveDave

• Kopite
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2014, 09:30:01 pm »
Yes during the game today the BT blimp showed that half the second row of houses were demolished and cleared, great to see good progres being made.

Offline Redpross1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2014, 10:39:02 pm »
Can't believe how small the kop is going to look compared with the Annie!
That's why I think they should build a new huge Kop at the Annie Road end.....similar to Dortmunds Yellow Wall. And add a tier to the current Kop and make it the away end.

We were going to leave Anfield altogether so swapping ends wouldn't be that big an upheaval

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2014, 11:05:40 pm »
That's why I think they should build a new huge Kop at the Annie Road end.....similar to Dortmunds Yellow Wall. And add a tier to the current Kop and make it the away end.

We were going to leave Anfield altogether so swapping ends wouldn't be that big an upheaval

When you consider the price of redeveloping it, buying even more houses  and redirection of roads it would be
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2014, 11:20:16 pm »

Pretty certain the design of the Kop, not to mention the constraints of the footprint it sits on, prevents another tier being added anyway.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2014, 12:09:08 am »
That's why I think they should build a new huge Kop at the Annie Road end.....

Don't agree with swapping ends but inadvertantly, I think you have hit on something there ...... f**k it, let's have TWO Kops!!!  WOuld really scare the shit out of the opposition!  ;D

Put the away fans high in in one corner of the top tier of the new main stand.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »

sacrilegious

Don't agree with swapping ends but inadvertantly, I think you have hit on something there ...... f**k it, let's have TWO Kops!!!  WOuld really scare the shit out of the opposition!  ;D

now that is something to think about
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

with the current state of the Kop it wouldn't scare the u11 of the opposition

Offline Pepe Silvia

• Anny Roader
  • real ale chilled she'll tell shell
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2014, 06:18:07 pm »
Yes during the game today the BT blimp showed that half the second row of houses were demolished and cleared, great to see good progres being made.
I saw that too. Found a video of their coverage and made a few screenshots (starts from 54:40 if anyone wants to watch it).

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:54 am »
I saw that too. Found a video of their coverage and made a few screenshots (starts from 54:40 if anyone wants to watch it).

Love that we've built a giant Romanian flag behind the Anny Road end.

For too long we've neglected the Romanian fanbase but now we have a true monument to their support.

Thank you Romania.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:33 am »

The Sudtribune and the Kop are similar in scale. The Sudtribune holds around 12,000 seated about the same as the Kop. The difference is that it has safe standing which pushes the capacity up to 25,000.

You couldn't build a new 'Kop' at the Annie Road end to get 25,000 in an all seater configuration anyway and there is zero possibility of adding another tier to the current Kop.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2014, 01:13:35 pm »
The Sudtribune and the Kop are similar in scale. The Sudtribune holds around 12,000 seated about the same as the Kop. The difference is that it has safe standing which pushes the capacity up to 25,000.

You couldn't build a new 'Kop' at the Annie Road end to get 25,000 in an all seater configuration anyway and there is zero possibility of adding another tier to the current Kop.

I believe the Sudtribune is significantly steeper, which would give it the illusion of being bigger.

As the guidelines for standing are, you wouldn't be able to build as steep and do safe standing. That said, there are no rules for safe standing in the UK and the only ones that exist allow a steeper terrace. This makes sense because the barriers are closer together.

I indulged myself for 5mins yesterday to look at the property and road bridging/ closures/ re-alignments required to meaningfully extend the Kop. I've always said everything is possible if you're prepared to live with the consequences but t'aint a pretty sight.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:15:49 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2014, 07:38:38 pm »
im not suggesting we should be looking to extend the kop right now, but as there is a lot of land being cleared facing the kop wouldnt this be the right time to look at getting the road diverted, once all the land has been developed we stand next to no chance.

if there ever was a chance surely now would be the time

When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:54 pm »
im not suggesting we should be looking to extend the kop right now, but as there is a lot of land being cleared facing the kop wouldnt this be the right time to look at getting the road diverted, once all the land has been developed we stand next to no chance.

There are no longer any plans for that area but it's not that simple from a traffic engineering point of view for one and what you show there leaves the rest of Walton Breck Road high and dry.

Of course, nothing is impossible... but if the club thinks 58k is good for the foreseeable future maybe now is not the time to go stirring up that particular hornet's nest.

It isn't Edge Lane but as has been said many times, it's an A road and councils and Highways Agencies aren't given to lightly chucking them (and all the services, servitudes and covenants in them) around on maps. Not to mention the property issues.

It's a lot of aggravation, cost and risk for maybe a few extra thousand seats.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:09:46 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:12 pm »
There are no longer any plans for that area

Is that not where the hotel is being built?

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2014, 10:12:11 pm »
There are no longer any plans for that area but it's not that simple from a traffic engineering point of view for one and what you show there leaves the rest of Walton Breck Road high and dry.

Of course, nothing is impossible... but if the club thinks 58k is good for the foreseeable future maybe now is not the time to go stirring up that particular hornet's nest.

It isn't Edge Lane but as has been said many times, it's an A road and councils and Highways Agencies aren't given to lightly chucking them (and all the services, servitudes and covenants in them) around on maps. Not to mention the property issues.

It's a lot of aggravation, cost and risk for maybe a few extra thousand seats.

the club, whos the club, and now is the perfect time
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:14:14 pm by Rome-77 »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2014, 10:37:09 pm »
the club, whos the club, and now is the perfect time

it's always the perfect time to throw money you haven't got at something you don't need.

Is that not where the hotel is being built?

As far as I'm aware the area behind the WBR frontage is in the defunct HMRI zones. The frontage itself is intended to be regenerated - on the existing alignment.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:53:49 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:46 pm »

Agree with this, need to futureproof any Kop expansion.   Even without the expansion this would alleviate traffic flow for the non-football attendees on match days.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:55 am »
Agree with this, need to futureproof any Kop expansion.   Even without the expansion this would alleviate traffic flow for the non-football attendees on match days.

You have to draw a line between future-proof and (n)ever-proof.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:02:17 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2014, 11:28:01 am »
There is more chance of the club buying up Skerries road and doing the Kemlyn up than trying to go down the road of rerouting WBR. It's a trunk road and that's the sort of thing that costs stupid amounts of money due to the amount of different agencies getting involved. I would guess we will be stuck around 58k but perhaps with a few extra fill in seats (as between the Kop and Kemlyn added cheaply over a period of time.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »
There is more chance of the club buying up Skerries road and doing the Kemlyn up than trying to go down the road of rerouting WBR. It's a trunk road and that's the sort of thing that costs stupid amounts of money due to the amount of different agencies getting involved. I would guess we will be stuck around 58k but perhaps with a few extra fill in seats (as between the Kop and Kemlyn added cheaply over a period of time.

Indeed, once the highway engineers get going... building in the sky, new roof, dodgy sightlines, buying up half a mile of properties, legal and statutory negotiations, moving a trunk road, flattening a church - all can be done but all for about another 2,300 seats. It wouldn't even service the interest.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:23:40 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2014, 05:31:39 pm »
Amazing the amount of land that one stadium takes up due to all these legal restrictions.

Just out of interest, how do these huge high rise office blocks achieve this, when they tower over everything.

Think for now we should be happy with the two stands being updated. It's most likely the ideal capacity, as what is £1M odd going to add really to overall figure.

It's peanuts nowadays.

Offline Redpross1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2014, 06:31:05 pm »

Hi Alan.... i wasn't thinking about the capacity with safe standing. I was looking towards creating a "New" Kop at the Annie Road end simply to increase the capacity a bit...... increase the acoustics to make it louder and more intimidating.... but mainly so its not absolutely dwarfed by the new Main Stand!!! The Kop is going to look so small next to that structure, I think it will take some of the Kop gravitas away from it.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2014, 06:50:58 pm »
Amazing the amount of land that one stadium takes up due to all these legal restrictions.

Just out of interest, how do these huge high rise office blocks achieve this, when they tower over everything.

Think for now we should be happy with the two stands being updated. It's most likely the ideal capacity, as what is £1M odd going to add really to overall figure.

It's peanuts nowadays.

Office blocks generally don't have 60,000 people coming or rather going in the space of half an hour unless there's a fire.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »
Hi Alan.... i wasn't thinking about the capacity with safe standing. I was looking towards creating a "New" Kop at the Annie Road end simply to increase the capacity a bit...... increase the acoustics to make it louder and more intimidating.... but mainly so its not absolutely dwarfed by the new Main Stand!!! The Kop is going to look so small next to that structure, I think it will take some of the Kop gravitas away from it.

I think it's the depth of the Kop that makes it so impressive rather than any physical height.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2014, 08:55:53 pm »
I think it's the depth of the Kop that makes it so impressive rather than any physical height.

Is correct. It's the single large and deep stand.

To make one which is a single terrace like it is now  to not look small next to the new Main would require a massive massive stand which would probably have the back seats a few miles from the far goal line!

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2014, 09:31:08 pm »
The lines i drew on the map where just to show there is the space for it to work, it doesnt have to follow that exact route, like someone has pointed out its not just about increasing capacity but having the room around all sides of the ground for people to move freely,

i know its not brilliant but gives the general idea on how it could be done.

green - these buildings could be left with new build (white) shops or houses

line of diverted road green-ish

yellow line far end of wbr joins

the area behind the kop becomes park of the open space fan park created with the new main stand

you dont often get the chance to view upto date aerial shots of the area around the ground, but the shots taken by the bt blimp taken on saturday show there is the space for it to work.

before anyone jumps all over this im no builder, planner or architect just asking the question to see what some of you who are in this line of business think.

also at some point in the future and most likely the only way of increasing the kops capacity would be through safe standing, we could possibly see double the amount of people at that end of the ground.

« Last Edit: October 1, 2014, 12:09:47 am by Jonny5 »
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 1, 2014, 07:11:18 am »
The lines i drew on the map...

We can all see how it might be done. The question is, why would it be done when you get so few additional seats at such huge cost.

As said above the extra income wouldn't even cover the interest payments.

If it really wants to be done, an answer would be to leave the road where it is and cantilever over it where necessary, demolish the church etc, close the road on matchdays and create a concourse with shops and bars around it.

Still massive expense for not much income in return.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2014, 11:46:13 am by Peter McGurk »