Author Topic: The English Football Poker/Brinkmanship/Chicken/FFS Draft - Rules and Round 11  (Read 25744 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
And so, finally, we begin.

So how will it work?

This is not like a normal draft, where drafters take turns to pick. Everyone picks at once, by way of PM to me, in a 24 hour window. The first window will begin at 1pm on 23 July, and end at 1pm on 24 July. Posters will then be informed of the results and notified of the time that the next pick starts.

Picks will be for one position each time, in rough team order, and as set out by me at the outset of the pick. The first pick will be for your goalkeeper, the next for right-back, left-back, centre-back, centre-back+, centre-mid, centre-mid+, attacking-mid/number 10, right winger, left winger, striker. The last pick is a "super-sub", and can be any position.

So who can I pick?

Your first choice in each round will be for a player in the top 6 teams in the Premier League in the relevant year. For most of the picks, the relevant year is 2018/2019. There are two exceptions - the second centre-back pick is to be taken from the 1998/1999 season, and the second centre-mid pick is to be taken from the 2008/2009 season.

You PM me your choice (eg for GK you might say "Alisson"). When I have received all of the choices and the window closes, I will post the results. If your choice is unique, ie no one else has chosen the same player, you keep the player (hurrah!) and they are added to your team. If the player you choose has been chosen by one or more other posters, your choice is invalid (boo!). But fear not! You get to choose again, in the next round of picks. HOWEVER - next time, your choice must be from the next "tier" of teams from the relevant year...

The tiers are as follows, with the teams included for the 2018/2019 season. You can go away and research the other two seasons yourself ;D 

First Tier - Top Six - Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd
Second Tier - 7th to 13th - Wolves, Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Watford, Palace, Newcastle
Third Tier - 14th to 20th - Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton, Brighton, Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield
Fourth Tier - Championship Top Half - Norwich City, Sheffield United, Leeds United, West Bromwich Albion, Aston Villa, Derby County, Middlesbrough, Bristol City, Nottingham Forest, Swansea City, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, Hull City
Fifth Tier - Championship Bottom Half - Preston North End, Blackburn Rovers, Stoke City, Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic, QPR, Reading, Millwall, Rotherham Utd, Bolton Wanderers, Ipswich Town
Sixth Tier - League One
Seventh Tier - League Two
Eighth Tier - National League
Ninth Tier - National League North/South
Tenth Tier- Any other player playing football in England

Each choice is made sequentially. So, if your first choice as a GK is invalid, your second choice is made at the same time you pick your RB, and so on. For more clarity on this, and an example of how this will work, see my post in the opening thread: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343339.msg16726487#msg16726487

Ring My Bell

Drafters may choose one "ringer". This can be for any position, but the choice must be made in the relevant round (ie if you want your ringer to be a RB, you pick him during the FIRST CHOICE ROUND FOR RBs. You can't select a ringer as your second/third choice for a position.)

The ringer can be a player from any season since the inception of the Premier League (when football was invented  ::) ) You must specify the player, AND the season (eg Gerrard 2005/2006, Suarez 2013/2014, Sean Dundee 1998/1999).

Once a ringer is chosen, he cannot be chosen again. As with the other picks, if two or more people pick the same ringer (regardless of "season"), the picks are invalid, the player is out of the draft, and no other ringers can be selected by those drafters. So choose wisely!

How Do I Choose?

A player must have been registered with the club, or made a competitive appearance for the team during the relevant season. Players can be on loan, but all players can only be picked once. Once a player is invalid, or indeed chosen, he cannot be picked by any other player for any other position. I suggest you use wikipedia for squad lists and stats - most clubs will have a a page for the 2018/2019 season. Other than that, use Google or any other site you like. Ultimately it is for YOU to prove that your choice is valid.

Players are assessed qualitatively for the purpose of matches/voting at the level they are during the relevant season. So you can choose Peter Cech as your GK from a top six side, but it's the 2018/2019 Peter Cech. The exceptions are the 98/99 CB and the 08/09 CM who are assessed at their 98/99 and 09/09 level, and the ringer who is assessed at the level of the season the drafter has chosen.

You can choose a player out of position if you so like. If you decide that you want Mo Salah to play in goal, pick him in the GK round. Or Harry Kane to anchor your midfield. Or Romelu Lukaku to play up front. But you MUST play them in that position in the matches! And consider whether a good player playing out of position is better than a "weaker" player playing in his natural position.

Drafters are encouraged to be tactical. Use mind games to convince other players who you're going to pick. Psyche them out. It's up to you. Choose players because you want them, choose players in the likelihood that others will to block them, choose players you don't think others will pick. It's what should make this fun :)

Any questions?

Ask away. I know it seems complex, but most of the complexity will be at my end! The basic rule is - pick a player once a day, hope your pick is unique, and if not pick a "weaker" player the next day until your team is full and you've made 12 valid picks.

Updated teams and invalid picks:

DeFacto - Alex McCarthy (GK), Daryl Janmaat (RB), Digne (LB), Pallister (98/99 CB), Shawcross (CB), Gundogan (CM), Borja Valero (08/09 CM), Grealish (AM), Leroy Sane (RW), Pereyra (LW), Fowler (95/96 ST), Ndidi (Sub)
Fucking appalled* - Kasper Schmeichel (GK), Steven Gerrard (04/05, RB), Creswell (LB), Mamadou Sakho (CB), Gudni Bergsson (98/99 CB), Xabi Alonso (08/09 CM), David Silva (CM), Knockaert (AM), Almiron (RW), Lamela (LW), Rondon (ST), Giroud (Sub)
TrendisnotChakan* - Ederson (GK), Wan-Bissaka (RB), Van Dijk (LB), Gary Ablett (98/99 CB), Jonas Olsson (CB), Rice (CM), Modric (10/11 CM), Mahrez (RW), Redmond (AM), Martial (LW), Origi (ST), Milivojevic (Sub)
Claus* - De Gea (GK), Robertson (RB), Kyle Walker (LB), Roy Keane (98/99 CB), Bednarek (CB), Henderson (CM), Lampard (08/09 CM), Moint (AM), Zaha (RW), Pulisic (LW), Rashford (Sub)
MikeyLFC - Rui Patricio (GK), Montoya (RB), Chilwell (LB), Sanchez (CB), Materazzi (98/99 CB), Tielemans (CM), Mascherano (08/09 CM), Wijnaldum (AM), Lucas Moura (RW), Willian (LW), Suarez (13/14 ST), Pogba (Sub)
Max_powers* - Nick Pope (GK), Bellerin (RB), Otto (LB), Coady (CB), Dave Watson (98/99 CB), Felipe Anderson (CM), Scholes (08/09 CM), Vardy (AM), Aubameyang (RW), Fraser (LW), Walcott (ST), Alderweireld (Sub)
vivaboby - Butland (GK), De Bruyne (RB), van Aanholt (LB), Lascelles (CB), Sol Campbell (98/99 CB), Fernandinho (CM), Bale (09/09 CM), Manuel Lanzini (AM), Richarlison (RW), Hudson-Odoi (LW), Mitrovic (ST), Drogba (06/07 Sub)
AdzLFC* - Tom Heaton (GK), Michail Antonio (RB), Laporte (LB), Stam (98/99 CB), John Obi Mikel (CB), Eriksen (CM), Lassana Diarra (CM 08/09), Mane (AM), Arnautovic (RW), Ings (LW), Pedro (Sub)
Lovelycushionedheader - Matt Ryan (GK), Cedric Soares (RB), Emerson Palmieri (LB), Rudiger (CB), Stuart Pearce (98/99 CB), Ruben Neves (CM), Michael Essien (08/09 CM), Gyfli Sigurrdsson (AM), Deulofeu (RW), Aguero (LW), Torres (07/08 ST), Ozil (Sub)
Vishwa* - Pickford (GK), Alexander-Arnold (RB), James Milner (LB), Irwin (98/99 CB), Dunk (CB), Maddison (CM), Parker (08/09 CM), Stiepermann(AM), Damarai Gray (RW), Babel (LW), Deeney (ST), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Sub)

*Indicates have used winger pick.

Invalid picks - Alisson, Kepa, Lloris, Fabianski, Azpilicueta, Fabinho, Vertonghen, Rose, Pereira, Gomez, Kompany, Maguire, Schar, Desailly, Adams, Rio Ferdinand, Ake, Des Walker, Kante, Patrick Vieira, Hegazi, Henchoz, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fabregas, Firmino, Son, Hazard, De Jong, Jota, Moutinho, Henry, Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Ward-Prowse, Salah, Lacazette, Wilson, Jimenez, Keita, Kane, Sturridge
« Last Edit: August 5, 2019, 08:10:38 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:10:09 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
IT'S JUST ABOUT TIME.

LET THE PICKING COMMENCE.

PLEASE PM ME YOUR CHOICES. IF I'VE NOT HEARD FROM YOU BY 9AM TOMORROW I WILL CHASE BY PM (IF I REMEMBER).

YOU HAVE UNTIL 1PM TOMORROW, AFTER WHICH YOUR PICK WILL BE INVALID.

FAILURE TO PICK WILL MEAN THAT YOU WILL DROP TWO TIERS FOR YOUR NEXT CHOICE FOR THAT PLAYER (SO THAT PEOPLE DON'T NON-PICK TACTICALLY TO GET A PLAYER FROM WOLVES OR CRYSTAL PALACE THAT THEY FANCY).

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Tasty PMs already ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tasty PMs already ;D

Probably picked the wrong draft to stop using sophisticated hacking equipment

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Can't wait to end up with Aldershot's 'keeper
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Solid first pick - Big Ears Resonates :)

Oh shit, he might be able to hear us, keep this on the down low.

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I’ve checked the rules and Andy Lonergan is eligible
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I’ve checked the rules and Andy Lonergan is eligible

Eel Ringer

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Keep ‘em coming!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
How many duplicates do we have by now, can you at least divulge that information? :D

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
I’m assuming the picks will be listed after each round? Just wondering if my team will be listed as I put it together. A reminder that I am picking:

Alisson
Trent
Robertson
Van Dijk
Stam (1998-99)
Kante
Gerrard (2008-09)
Bernardo Silva
Salah
Hazard
Suarez (2013-14)

Son
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
I’m assuming the picks will be listed after each round? Just wondering if my team will be listed as I put it together. A reminder that I am picking:

Alisson
Trent
Robertson
Van Dijk
Stam (1998-99)
Kante
Gerrard (2008-09)
Bernardo Silva
Salah
Hazard
Suarez (2013-14)

Son

You're not getting Alisson I can tell you that already. Neither am I.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

Ah I see people are falling on their swords!

How are we judging people in their positions if they didn’t play there? Or are we just asked to imagine how that player from that year would have played in that position even if they didn’t?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Ah I see people are falling on their swords!

How are we judging people in their positions if they didn’t play there? Or are we just asked to imagine how that player from that year would have played in that position even if they didn’t?

Exactly. How well do you think an 18/19 Salah would play at CB in 18/19.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Exactly. How well do you think an 18/19 Salah would play at CB in 18/19.

Haha excellent.

Wouldn’t be done for pace!

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan

Thats right! because he will playing for my team.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
8 down, 2 to go...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

If someone gets Alisson, then we all deserve swift kick in the slats.   I think the Princess Bride says it all

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Chakan and Trend's First Pick

---- Building up an immunity to Iocane Powder
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Chakan and Trend's First Pick

---- Building up an immunity to Iocane Powder

MMmm.....William Goldman? Did he play a League Cup game for Arsenal?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
MMmm.....William Goldman? Did he play a League Cup game for Arsenal?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:08:18 am by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"Nobody knows anything."

"Every time out, its a guess, if you are lucky, an educated one".  - Brilliant Viva, just brilliant.

Gentleman and scholar, you are!

My favorite quote by him:

"Writing is finally about one thing: going into a room alone and doing it. Putting words on paper that have never been there in quite that way before. And although you are physically by yourself, the haunting Demon never leaves you, that Demon being the knowledge of your own terrible limitations, your hopeless inadequacy, the impossibility of ever getting it right. No matter how diamond-bright your ideas are dancing in your brain, on paper they are earthbound."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:46:09 am by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
We have... a full house. All picks are in.

Results will be at 1pm with the next pick starting at 3pm.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
We have... a full house. All picks are in.

Results will be at 1pm with the next pick starting at 3pm.

How much time in between picks?

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
How much time in between picks?

Couple of hours. But always 24 hours for a pick.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
THE PICKS ARE IN FOR ROUND 1. AS FOLLOWS:

DeFacto - Alisson
Fucking appalled - Alisson
TrendisnotChakan - Ederson
Claus - De Gea
MikeyLFC - Alisson
Max_powers - Kepa
vivaboby - Lloris
AdzLFC - Alisson
Lovelycushionedheader - Lloris
Vishwa - Kepa

SO. Alisson, Kepa and Lloris are INVALID picks. They are out of the draft, and those who selected them will need to pick a new GK from Tier 2 (which by way of reminder is Wolves, Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Watford, Palace, Newcastle).

Updated teams:

DeFacto -
Fucking appalled -
TrendisnotChakan - Ederson
Claus - De Gea
MikeyLFC -
Max_powers -
vivaboby -
AdzLFC -
Lovelycushionedheader -
Vishwa -

The next pick begins at 3pm UK time today, and will conclude at 3pm UK time tomorrow. By way of assistance, I remind you that the choice is Right-backs from the top 6 clubs in the PL18/19.

DeFacto, fuckingappalled, Mikey, Max, Viva, Adz, Lovely and Vishwa - you must in the same time period, ie by 3pm tomorrow, send me not only your RB first choice, but your GK second choice.

• Legacy Fan
Hahahah look at us trying to be bold :D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI

• Legacy Fan
FFS I quit  :(
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
FFS I quit  :(

Sorry to hear that, mate....Do I get Lloris, JK?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry to hear that, mate....Do I get Lloris, JK?

Would say its a close call, my friend

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
Interesting, I thought more would have picked Alisson...

He was the only pick for me in the top 6, but Trend/Chakan have managed to pick up the only other decent option imo, so fair play!

Who’s going to tell Claus he’s picked De Gea based on last season ;D
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Who's everyone going to Pickford next?  Mary or Jordan

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• Legacy Fan
Speroni it is

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm gonna wait for Joe Hart so Pickford next round

• Legacy Fan
I'm gonna wait for Joe Hart so Pickford next round

Picking Burnley's 3rd best 'keeper is definitely the smart move to make ;D