Author Topic: The English Football Poker/Brinkmanship/Chicken/FFS Draft - Rules and Round 11  (Read 25827 times)

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Right, I like the creativity but people need to keep their players BROADLY in the positions they were picked for.

Is there a standard formation template we should all work off, then any differential can be via arrows? I've seen some 4-1-2-3 (like the above  ;)) whereas we picked 4-2-3-1 in my mind!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Right, I like the creativity but people need to keep their players BROADLY in the positions they were picked for.

Can you be more specific?

The arrows I used, were to show defensive rotation in the back and offensive focal points of where we want to attack.

Redmond is our CM just as Bobby Firmino is our Striker.
Mahrez cutting in from the RW is hardly news nor is Luka Modric covering gaps in midfield cover.

This is a fluid game folks, and where the players are trying to go and where they end up are often two different things.

Personally, I have no issue with an manager here trying to tweak their teams to get the maximum of what they drafted.  And really in the end, it does not make a hill of beans difference as this is about how to have fun and enjoy one another.

But I suppose there are people who have a different perspective.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is there a standard formation template we should all work off, then any differential can be via arrows? I've seen some 4-1-2-3 (like the above  ;)) whereas we picked 4-2-3-1 in my mind!

4-3-3 mate.  You are fine as the 2 DM's and AM merge to 3 in the middle and your flanks/striker are the other 3  in 4-2-3-1 - makes no difference in how the draft was done.

But there can be no 3 back formations or weird amalgams -as  the drafting order was set

GK-LB-RB-CB-CB98/99-CM-CM08/09-AM-LW-RW-SS
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
4-3-3 mate.  You are fine as the 2 DM's and AM merge to 3 in the middle and your flanks/striker are the other 3  in 4-2-3-1 - makes no difference in how the draft was done.

But there can be no 3 back formations or weird amalgams -as  the drafting order was set

GK-LB-RB-CB-CB98/99-CM-CM08/09-AM-LW-RW-SS

Yeah the way you've set my team out is how I interpreted the picks, with two CMs and one AM. But then in Viva's team there are what looks like two AMs and it looks a lot better with Bale as an AM as opposed to CM!

Not bothered, just making a point :)
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah the way you've set my team out is how I interpreted the picks, with two CMs and one AM. But then in Viva's team there are what looks like two AMs and it looks a lot better with Bale as an AM as opposed to CM!

Not bothered, just making a point :)

Well, that's why I thought I had Redmond a bit higher than Modric (maybe not) in the first iteration to show the difference.

Not sure anyone believes Bale is an attacking mid (and truth be told if Lanzini needs a partner in the position) then I think it reflects worse - but the problem with drafting in a 4-3-3 base formation is that there is not as much guidance on whether to play

A.            CM          AM     (Inverted triangled midfield)

DM

B.                   AM          (Regular triange midfield)

CM/DM    DM     

These are the grey areas of the game, and some like us tried to draft to these nuances (while getting blocked :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I’d probably go with what Trend has done, as long as no one moans at anyone else’s team. Players very loosely in the position they were drafted.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5d495595138c092e24ade928

Can't work out how to copy the image.

Got a link to my formation above. Can someone post the image?

Also agree with the sentiments mentioned above. The draft was clearly two CMs and an AM. That’s a 4-2-3-1 in my book. Have all the adjusts with the positions within the scope of that I think. The website actually automatically shifts positions as they move I think which could help people make sure the positions are okay?

Otherwise I’d move Gini into more of a 4-3-3
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Got a link to my formation above. Can someone post the image?

Also agree with the sentiments mentioned above. The draft was clearly two CMs and an AM. That’s a 4-2-3-1 in my book. Have all the adjusts with the positions within the scope of that I think. The website actually automatically shifts positions as they move I think which could help people make sure the positions are okay?

Otherwise I’d move Gini into more of a 4-3-3

Let me know if you want me to make any changes mate.

I really like this team!!!!

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne

So, basically, in 08/09, Bale was playing left of midfield which was why he appealed, to give balance and cover the left side defensively while Van Aanholt got forward. He was not an out and out attacker back then. That came later.

Problem I have is Trend is very kindly doing all the technical stuff cos I'm an idiot when it comes it. I could use arrows and stuff. De Bruyne, as a right back can legitimately cover the right up and down such is his engine as Trent does for us. Again, that was the appeal whilst taking him out of the draft in his more favoured position.

Fernandinho is Fernandinho so is everywhere and anywhere there is danger.

Lanzini plays in between the lines and has two widemen to play to and off.

Mitrovic would play as an out and out CF for a spell before being replaced by Drogba if we went behind early. Who would want to see him coming off the bench, breathing fire after being left out the starting 11 for disciplinary reasons, namely, missing curfew (draft deadline). Hudson Odoi and Richarlison would think they'd died and gone to heaven playing around him. Goals galore all over the pitch
« Last Edit: August 6, 2019, 11:05:12 pm by vivabobbycurmudgeongraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Yeah, you can’t basically have two AMs.

You can either have one midfielder sitting deep (as a DM), one as a CM and one as an AM, or two as CMs and one AM.

Loosely speaking, you can have a 6, an 8 and a 10, or two 8s and a 10. You can’t have a 6/8 and two 10s.

So either of the two formations immediately above this post are fine but Trend’s at 7.59 isn’t.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I’d probably go with what Trend has done, as long as no one moans at anyone else’s team. Players very loosely in the position they were drafted.

So allow me to explain in under 100 words why I went Dutch, used arrows etc...

I spent this morning putting together teams in teambuilder for LCH, Viva & Adz (now Mikey although he'd done the tough part)
I started thinking like a coach, how can we mask our weaknesses and accentuate our strengths given the rules

Weaknesses (CB's & AM)
    A. CB Pace
    B. LB and AM out of their dominant position 
    C. Striker - Mobility/Pressing

Strengths

A.  Wide Attackers technical ability, 1 v 1, and versatility
   B.  Modric & Rice - ball winning, reading the game
   C.  Pace out wide on the counter (especially the right side)

Given this

Starting Redmond in the middle of our attack and having our pattern plays lead him to the outside right is sound. 

Attacking midfielders all over the world find spaces on flanks (i.e. Silva/DeBruyne/Gini/Milner/Pogba).  They are not sedentary, but free to roam anywhere, especially where his pace can best be utilized.  Firmino is another player who does something similar (masking his attack mid role) by leading the line.

Mahrez is very technical will naturally drift to the middle via the pass, dribble or combination play shot.  So nothing off there, except his starting position on the RW is narrow because of Wan-Bissaka's role (because of his pace) to get forward into the attack like TAA.

Now, the big point of contention, I am sure is how will VVD play left back.  And I was trying to signal with some help from Modric and deeper starting position.  VVD is not going to be the Robbo of the left side of this team, in terms of getting forward.  We need him to be a good, organized defender and help us play out of the back using Luka.   

The weakness in the back (since almost no one dribbles VVD) is to make sure we close the space behind Wan-Bissaka.  To do that we have Rice move over in front and Ablett switches over the right side in defensive transition only.  This happens in every game ever played where the central defenders defend on the flanks and the defensive mid drops in to keep shape.

So, I am not pulling a fast one.  Instead, I am signalling how we might play given our weaknesses and strengths.

Also, no mention of restarts!  Be happy I did not write more about them!

« Last Edit: August 7, 2019, 12:44:15 am by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: