Author Topic: Fabio Aurelio  (Read 261622 times)

Offline TimeForARafavolution

• Main Stander
Re: Fabio Aurelio
« Reply #1240 on: February 9, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »
If Fab can do a job in midfield then hopefully that's a nother nail in the coffin of the sign Barry plan.

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #1241 on: February 9, 2009, 03:23:48 pm »
I think the full quote was to do with passing, not crossing.

Pedantics. His crossing is good anyway.
Blank.

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #1242 on: February 9, 2009, 03:24:22 pm »
I'd take the corners and free kicks from wide areas off him, tell him to sit on the edge of the box waiting for a clearance to come his way. Our corners are shite so we couldn't do any worse.
Have Alonso or Aurelio to take wide FK/corners, with Gerrard on the edge of the area to offer a threat from a pulled back corner or clearance, similar to what Scholes does for the Mancs. I am perplexed that this hasn't been tried more, as Stevie strikes a moving ball better than anyone in the world imo.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2009, 03:25:55 pm by Enders »
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #1243 on: February 9, 2009, 03:25:40 pm »
I knew there was something about his passing ability but I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere!

Anyway, at times on Saturday he was droping his shoulder and spreading the ball the way Alonso does.  It was only one game but I was impressed.  He needs to be able to pass the ball over his own head with a back heel and get a round of applause from Ballack to fully convince me though!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2006/jul/7/N152845060707-1317.htm
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #1244 on: February 9, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
i thought Aurelio was really good in the first half. Was moving around well and passing like Alonso
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #1245 on: February 9, 2009, 03:29:11 pm »
If Fab can do a job in midfield then hopefully that's a nother nail in the coffin of the sign Barry plan.

Why may I ask would you not want the manager to get his own way when it came to building his team?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1246 on: February 9, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2006/jul/7/N152845060707-1317.htm
You see, you did the clever thing and looked on the official site whereas I just typed stuff like "Rafa Benitez on Aurelio's passing" into Google!  Thanks for finding it.
Haha, did Ballack really give him a round of applause for that glorious touch? Missed it. Give 's a link, la.
Here you go, third post down on this.  Check out Ballack as he certainly seems to clap Alonso:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=223359.4120

Offline sconehead

• Anny Roader
  • fortune favours the brave
« Reply #1247 on: February 9, 2009, 03:40:37 pm »
Have Alonso or Aurelio to take wide FK/corners, with Gerrard on the edge of the area to offer a threat from a pulled back corner or clearance, similar to what Scholes does for the Mancs. I am perplexed that this hasn't been tried more, as Stevie strikes a moving ball better than anyone in the world imo.
exactly, been saying the same thing for years
ye see son, there's US and then there's everybody else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #1248 on: February 9, 2009, 03:41:48 pm »
exactly, been saying the same thing for years

I think the majority of us have, I can only think Stevie insists on taking the corners as he's so good at them :-\

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1249 on: February 9, 2009, 04:24:45 pm »
Why may I ask would you not want the manager to get his own way when it came to building his team?

Don't have a problem with the Barry plan for this summer even, as long as he also has money for a shiny new right-back, right-winger and back up striker.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Kokop

• Main Stander
    • Needaquote
« Reply #1250 on: February 9, 2009, 05:15:45 pm »
One thing that may be brushed over re FA.

He arrived here on a free.

He wanted to follow Rafa.

Says a bit for his belief in the gaffa and willingness to continue working with him.

And yes, even being a bit "soft" re injuries, I really rate him, skill wise and attitude.

Squeeze every last drop out of the club you C*NTS

Offline wesley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1251 on: February 9, 2009, 06:37:54 pm »
i thought Aurelio was really good in the first half. Was moving around well and passing like Alonso

i like his movement when playing as a centre midfielder. i am not criticizing xabi, but fabio seems to be more mobile and is more willing to carry the ball across the pitch and make space for a forward pass while xabi's moves are more subtle and do not suggest that kind of urgency. i can't tell whose style is better and it's only one game, but i am really impressed.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1252 on: February 9, 2009, 09:03:50 pm »
im not his biggist fan, but by no means think hes crap. my main grumble with fabio is the lack of drive he provides from fullback.

its funny seeing him in the middle at the weekend, i started to think about barry.on the face of thinks fabio could/can do everything barry can.

is  there any chance we will see more of him in midfield?
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #1253 on: February 9, 2009, 09:07:21 pm »
The point of Barry is that he's great at little one two's and driving into the box, this isn't something you're gonna get from any of our other central midfielders Gerrard aside.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: February 9, 2009, 09:09:38 pm »
The point of Barry is that he's great at little one two's and driving into the box, this isn't something you're gonna get from any of our other central midfielders Gerrard aside.

totally agree. aurelio has that in him i think. i wasnt trying to imply barrys crap. my point which i didnt make very well was fabio maybe could do what rafa wanted barry to?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: February 9, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »
i like his movement when playing as a centre midfielder. i am not criticizing xabi, but fabio seems to be more mobile and is more willing to carry the ball across the pitch and make space for a forward pass while xabi's moves are more subtle and do not suggest that kind of urgency. i can't tell whose style is better and it's only one game, but i am really impressed.

i think the ball carrying factor is very important. i presume thats why rafa wanted barry?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: February 9, 2009, 10:38:09 pm »

Plus he is great at playing the so called killer ball which Torres will love with his speed and knowing he can play in different positions with ease.

Barry would be a great signing for Liverpool FC without question and I for one hope he comes in the summer.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: February 9, 2009, 10:59:31 pm »
The whole point with Barry was basically that we'd get a "left-footed Gerrard" in a midfield three. We'd switch and play one defensive midfielder behind two box-to-box, as compared to two defensive midfielders behind Gerrard.

Now:

Gerrard
Alonso Mascherano

Idea:

Barry    Gerrard
  Mascherano

The Barry formation would make us more dynamic in our attacking play.  We'd have two CMs who could make attacking runs into the box. It would also be a clever way of getting more from Gerrard in "CM", while still keeping the Gerrard-Torres partnership intact.

Aurelio is a handy player, but I think it's too much to expect him to be the alternative we saw in Barry. That said, it would be interesting to see what he could do for us in that kind of 4-3-3. Shouldn't be too hard to set up a team that could play both 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 with Aurelio in a CM role.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: February 9, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »
The whole point with Barry was basically that we'd get a "left-footed Gerrard" in a midfield three. We'd switch and play one defensive midfielder behind two box-to-box, as compared to two defensive midfielders behind Gerrard.

Now:

Gerrard
Alonso Mascherano

Idea:

Barry    Gerrard
  Mascherano

Or

Barry    Gerrard
   Alonso

Against so called parking the bus teams.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: February 9, 2009, 11:17:22 pm »
Or

Barry    Gerrard
   Alonso

Naturally. I chose Mascherano because we were willing to sacrifice Alonso to get Barry. That's a no go now, fortunately.

I really like the look of that formation you put out. I think it has excellent balance.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #1260 on: February 9, 2009, 11:29:12 pm »
Or

Barry    Gerrard
   Alonso

Xabi isn't defensively solid enough to make that work.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1261 on: February 9, 2009, 11:43:16 pm »
Against the park the bus teams he doesnt need to be defensive he needs to be in there to pull the strings. Masch would be more useful against the more expansive teams.

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #1262 on: February 10, 2009, 12:22:39 am »

Now:

Gerrard
Alonso Mascherano

Idea:

Barry    Gerrard
  Mascherano

I agree, I recall someone on here doing a breakdown of our passing through the centre of the park and it was heavily biased towards the right hand side of the pitch. I feel the point of Barry would have been partially to address this bias by introducing a left-footed central midfielder, partially to include a player with more of that Gerrard-like drive to get in to the box and partially because Barry is quite versatile himself.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: February 11, 2009, 06:28:46 am »
Xabi isn't defensively solid enough to make that work.

I think he is, his positioning defensively is good and he makes alot of interceptions and tackles.  Add to that the mobility of gerrard and barry and you would have ample coverage and support for alonso.  Add mascherano and you would have a very versatile and talented midfield that would definitely provide options.
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #1264 on: February 11, 2009, 07:41:34 am »
I think he is, his positioning defensively is good and he makes alot of interceptions and tackles.  Add to that the mobility of gerrard and barry and you would have ample coverage and support for alonso.  Add mascherano and you would have a very versatile and talented midfield that would definitely provide options.

He doesn't break down counter attacks and mark the ball carrier tightly so that he can't find a teammate, basically he isn't Masch.  Also relying on Gerrard and Barry to track back isn't defensively solid in the least.  Having Masch as cover and Xabi as cover for Masch in a pinch is the method Rafa uses, one deep-lying midfielder that does make runs forward, and a central midfielder that makes passes and keeps things ticking but stays in a safe position.  The formation would provide quite a bit of attacking dynamism, but we don't want be Arsenal and have not defensive steel.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: February 11, 2009, 03:48:56 pm »
Alonso is more than capable of doing a solid defensive job against the dross of the Premiership

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1266 on: February 11, 2009, 03:50:58 pm »
Going a bit off-topic now, aren't we?
Anyways, Aurelio's been a good player this season, if only his injuries didn't keep him down though...
Last season he gave away the ball cheaply from the left-back position but he's worked on it this time around.
The future looks good for him :D

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #1267 on: February 11, 2009, 03:57:17 pm »
Alonso is more than capable of doing a solid defensive job against the dross of the Premier League

Word. Fuck sakes, Michael Carrick manages it.

What people aren't quite grasping is that if Alonso is there next to a Barry... we're going to have a lot of the ball. More so than usual. If we have a lot of the ball then their one up front is going to become extremely isolated - especially if we play Skrtel and Agger at the back, who have the pace to isolate him.

How do people think United get by defending with so few 'defenders'? If you've got the ball then the other team hasn't, and you're not going to be under pressure. If you've got the pace to move higher up the pitch then their one outlet is going to become extremely isolated (and irritated). Especially so if he's against two quick centrebacks, because he'll really struggle to be able to find the space to run into with the ball to allow the others to get up in support. In other words, he loses the ball quickly, we get the ball back and with Xabi playing a holding role, we're not down a player who doesn't contribute to the attack.

... And this is all without mentioning that Xabi is a bloody good tackler, fantastic at reading the game and all that stops him from being the best 'holding' midfielder in the world is a lack of athleticism. When people get goal side of him he'll struggle to recover, unlike Masch. But, if you've got pace at the back, you're less concerned about that because you're not terrified of a striker running at Agger or Skrtel and exposing them for pace. Same thing happens at United - on those rare occasions Carrick isn't enough, whoever gets in behind him still has to deal with two extremely physical centrebacks, one of which is lightning and the other of which is only really bested by rapid strikers when it comes to pace.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline ianrushno9

• Main Stander
« Reply #1268 on: February 11, 2009, 04:05:30 pm »
well said !! ;D ;D ;D
12/09/12...........JFT96.............THE TRUTH IS COMIN..............YNWA

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #1269 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:00 pm »
Jesus christ, Gareth Barry gets everywhere, doesn't he? And he looks so dull, as well...
Blank.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1270 on: February 12, 2009, 08:43:06 am »
Liverpool boss Benitez: Fabio Aurelio has big role to play

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez says fullback Fabio Aurelio has a key role to play for the remainder of this season.

"Fabio was one of the best players on the pitch at Portsmouth," Benitez told liverpoolfc.tv.
"He played really well. We knew he could play in central midfield from his time at Valencia and he showed on Saturday that he is a clever player with quality.

"He will be an important player for us for the rest of the season. At Anfield especially, when we want to attack we know he will always be available because he has good movement and can deliver good crosses.

"It's always important to have players who can play in different positions, especially if they understand the game."

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1271 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:10 pm »
Another fantastic performance on the big stage, Robben barely got a sniff out of him (and Riera to be fair) and a couple of brilliant whipped free-kicks into the box. Just a shame we don't use the in-swingers half as much as we should.
AHA!

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #1272 on: February 25, 2009, 10:12:28 pm »
Flawless tonight. Not a foot wrong defensively, useful and inventive with the ball and a great set piece for the goal.

Usually this type of performance from Fabio is followed by an injury. Please God let him stay fit this time.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #1273 on: February 25, 2009, 10:13:42 pm »
Top player, top performance tonight.

Offline AndrewFitz22

• easily outfoxed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:15 pm »
Ace game tonight. Well done lad!

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:20 pm »
Top top fullback top 3 in Europe easily

Offline Kaka 22

• Bayern Munich Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: February 25, 2009, 10:18:07 pm »
Evra, Clichy, Cole - all three are superior, that said tonight he was absolutely inspirational and i'm so glad we have a lot of players who are showing they have the mental steel to stand up and perform on such a stage, GET IN!

Offline vincenzo524

• Main Stander
« Reply #1277 on: February 25, 2009, 10:18:45 pm »
Best player out there today, a fantastic performance. Delivery of the free-kick was class.

Offline Wewonit6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: February 25, 2009, 10:19:16 pm »
Clichy has had a woeful season. Fab deserves an international chance, would heighten the chance of injury though.

Offline smokinsteve

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1279 on: February 25, 2009, 10:20:01 pm »
Our best lb by a mile

and probably our best lm as well if truth be told...

He had robben in his pocket all night and i have yet to see anyone make him look a mug..

Riera on the other hand is getting worse by the game...