Author Topic: FIFA wants a World Cup every two years  (Read 9687 times)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
FIFA wants a World Cup every two years
« on: September 4, 2021, 12:15:40 pm »
Uefa chief Ceferin has ‘grave concerns’ over biennial World Cup plan

Fifa wants to stage tournament every two years
Ceferin criticises lack of consultation on proposal

Aleksander Ceferin, the president of Uefa, has “grave concerns” about Fifa’s plan to stage the World Cup every two years – and criticised the lack of consultation from football’s governing body.

Ceferin’s intervention exposes the significant hostility many in the European game feel towards Fifa’s attempts to ram through a biennial World Cup amid widespread opposition from national associations and clubs.

In a letter to Football Supporters Europe, Ceferin said the group had “extremely valid and important” concerns about the potential damage to the game. “Uefa and its national associations have serious reservations and grave concerns surrounding reports of Fifa’s plans” Ceferin told FSE executive director Ronan Evain, before promising that Uefa would, in regards to Fifa, “closely scrutinize and hold to full account”.

“Allow me to assure you that Uefa stands with you and the fans on this important issue,” Ceferin added. “We must work together to defend the interests of the game and reinforce the position of fans as key stakeholders.”

The idea of World Cup every two years, first proposed by Saudi Arabia in May, has been gaining momentum – with Fifa using former players, including Michael Owen and Yaya Toure, to offer their support while apparently conducting a feasibility study for the scheme. The proposal has the backing of Fifa president Gianni Infantino, who is close to the Saudis. On Friday, Arsène Wenger, the chief of global football development at Fifa, told L’Equipe he hoped a decision on the proposal would be taken in December.

However, Ceferin expressed bemusement that the proposals would go through with so little scrutiny or debate. “Considering the major impact this reform may have on the whole organisation of football there is widespread astonishment that Fifa appears to be launching a PR campaign to push its proposal whilst any such proposals haven’t been presented to confederations, national associations, leagues, clubs, players, coaches, clubs and all the football community,” he said.

Earlier Evain had written to Ceferin to say that fans’ groups were against the idea of a World Cup every two years. “If realized, the new schedule will have an adverse impact on the balance between local, domestic, continental, and international competitions,” Evain said. “This will likely undermine tournaments such as the Asian Cup, Africa Cup of Nations, Copa América, European Football Championship, Gold Cup, and Nations Cup, which hold just as much importance to match-going fans as the World Cup itself.”

Evain said he was working with fan groups from the other five soccer confederations to contest the Fifa proposals. “Most fans look forward to the World Cup precisely because it is a unique event that only occurs every four years,” he added. “They do not have an unlimited amount of time, money, or enthusiasm to expend on flights, accommodation, and tickets — or TV subscriptions.

“There is no doubt that football is in desperate need of reform ... as things stand, the game is unequal, expensive to watch, and for the millions who do not have access to adequate grassroots facilities, difficult to play. But doubling the number of World Cups will not solve any of these problems. In fact, it will inevitably make them worse.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/03/uefa-chief-ceferin-has-grave-concerns-over-biennial-world-cup-plan
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: FIFA wants a World Cup every two years
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2021, 12:40:47 pm »
More is not better…

There is already too much football. 

Why would fifa want more?  Because every time there’s a World Cup, they stuff their own pockets with millions and millions of pounds of dirty kick back money.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2021, 12:43:36 pm »
The irony of UEFA having concerns over more football  ???

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 4, 2021, 01:44:19 pm »
£££££

Only way this should work would be to bin off all qualifiers and have the World Cup and the Euros as the only time international football is played (except the odd warm-up friendly). Have tiers and some form of promotion/relegation so that the countries vary. But that'll never happen because £££££.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 4, 2021, 01:45:24 pm »
More is not better…

There is already too much football. 

Why would fifa want more?  Because every time there’s a World Cup, they stuff their own pockets with millions and millions of pounds of dirty kick back money.
UAE, then China, then Russia again, then why not go back to Qatar, there will be nothing dodgy about the selection process I'm sure.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #5 on: September 4, 2021, 03:00:54 pm »
Best idea ever.  :P

Just seed the top 32 Nations based on the previous World Cup. Play qualifiers for the other 32 spots.

Award:
UEFA -- 6 spots
Conmebol-- 6 spots
Concacaf-- 5 spots
Africa-- 5 spots
Asia-- 5 spots
Oceania-- 5 spots
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #6 on: September 4, 2021, 03:31:17 pm »
I assume UEFA would boycott the World Cup clashing with the Euros or sending teams 25-40 to the tournament so the whole thing is dead on arrival.
Linudden.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #7 on: September 4, 2021, 04:07:31 pm »
So when exactly are they expecting to fit in this expanded Club World Cup too?

Always chasing the dollar. Shame to see Wenger involved in this.
AHA!

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8 on: September 4, 2021, 05:10:35 pm »
FIFA need too stfu.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 4, 2021, 05:41:12 pm »
FIFA are a disgrace.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #10 on: September 4, 2021, 08:55:21 pm »
Talk about squeezing the very last drop of water out of the dishcloth.

Money mad. 💰💰💰💰💰
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 4, 2021, 09:08:34 pm »
Suggested by Saudi Arabia, powerhouses of World football

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 4, 2021, 09:58:05 pm »
i hope the game crashes and burns soon.

a mass boycott would bring that about swift but unfortunately too many just want to watch the football while covering their ears to all the greed and corruption that plagues the sport now. greedy bastards that have no interest in the game have it ruined.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: September 4, 2021, 10:24:04 pm »
Every two years we have either a World Cup or a Euros. Personally, I would prefer a World Cup every 2 years than a World Cup and Euros. I've never taken to the Euros, whereas the World Cup I will watch a random group stage game.

But obviously, that's not what will happen and we will get more football. It's like that advert WATCH THE FOOTBALL!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #14 on: September 4, 2021, 10:37:53 pm »
You get nonsense like this during every international break.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 4, 2021, 11:21:50 pm »
Any chance we could bin international football entirely
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 4, 2021, 11:39:36 pm »
Oh well, they’ve got Michael Owen to back it...   ::)
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #17 on: September 4, 2021, 11:45:48 pm »
All for it if they bin off all other international tournaments such as the Euros, Afcon and the South American one etc
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #18 on: September 5, 2021, 12:18:18 am »
Oh why doesn't international football just fuck off
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 5, 2021, 12:41:31 am »
Best idea ever.  :P

Just seed the top 32 Nations based on the previous World Cup. Play qualifiers for the other 32 spots.

Award:
UEFA -- 6 spots
Conmebol-- 6 spots
Concacaf-- 5 spots
Africa-- 5 spots
Asia-- 5 spots
Oceania-- 5 spots

So 32 countries guaranteed and qualifiers for the other 32?

Isn't that visually the ESL model?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #20 on: September 5, 2021, 01:31:04 am »
Don't have a clue. But let's face it, for the most part those teams that get to the last 32 are pretty much going to qualify anyway. Why not cut out the extra matches and walkovers during qualifying.

Plus it makes getting to the last 32 worthwhile. The pressure will be on in the earlier stages.

Euro's, Gold Cup, Copa America, etc are all glorified matches where the same few teams tend to make the semi finals. Not always but more often than not. So where is the excitement?

FIFA could run qualifying for every 2 years. Take the minnows of the world in each Federation and have them play against each other in order to qualify for a straight knockout tournament to determine those 7 or 6 representatives to make the next WC. A straight knockout tournament will mean every match matters. Draws from the pots will become a whole lot more interesting.

So the incentive when getting to the World Cup is not only to be there but make the last 32 for all 64 nations or risk your chances in a straight knockout format for the next WC.

And if your nation isn't involved or knocked out-- no friendlies. An incentive for the club teams.

But i'm not the dictator of all things FIFA..🤪
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #21 on: September 5, 2021, 08:42:50 am »
They won't rest until footballers have to play every day of the year, every year.

It's just overkill though, World Cups and Euros are only really exciting because they're rare, you lose that if its every year. Being able to switch off from watching football every other June and July is a good break as well and then you're ready for August, rather than the season starting 3 weeks after a World Cup or Euros final every year.

Things have got far worse since Sepp Blatter left. Yes he was a crook, but he kept a lid on a lot of nonsense. Infantino is a nightmare.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #22 on: September 5, 2021, 09:31:16 am »
Why not host the WC every year in the summer with the respective continental competition in the winter?

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 5, 2021, 02:56:39 pm »
Liking football is beginning to feel a bit like enjoying the success of a particular phosphorus mining company.  I like this one, and it gives me pleasure, but it’s hard not to see how bad at large the industry is, how much the industry does not care about life or health and safety, only profit
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #24 on: September 5, 2021, 07:56:02 pm »
Why not host the WC every year in the summer with the respective continental competition in the winter?

Or every month?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #25 on: September 5, 2021, 08:59:46 pm »
Infantino is a nightmare.
He's the worst kind of con man, he's the smiling jovial kind who to the layman seems to a breath of fresh air from the Blatter era. Meanwhile he's so deep in bed with the Saudis and Qatari's that there is no chance that anyone is actually looking out for the greater good, they're all in it to line their pockets or for power.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #26 on: September 5, 2021, 09:13:41 pm »
They mind as well move FIFA headquarters to Riyadh or one of the Gulf States. They run the game now, an absolute farce.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 5, 2021, 09:39:46 pm »
He's the worst kind of con man, he's the smiling jovial kind who to the layman seems to a breath of fresh air from the Blatter era. Meanwhile he's so deep in bed with the Saudis and Qatari's that there is no chance that anyone is actually looking out for the greater good, they're all in it to line their pockets or for power.

I get the same feeling,FIFA seems now more than ever exist purely for the bribes during his presidency,just oozes slime that one.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2021, 09:41:18 pm by Tobelius »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 5, 2021, 10:15:13 pm »
They mind as well move FIFA headquarters to Riyadh or one of the Gulf States. They run the game now, an absolute farce.

This
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 5, 2021, 10:23:26 pm »
I get the same feeling,FIFA seems now more than ever exist purely for the bribes during his presidency,just oozes slime that one.

Agree with a few of the posts this bloke is worse than Blatter.

We know he was a crook but this bloke is slimey as hell.

Saudi UAE China will all get a world cup before Holland just let that sink in.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #30 on: September 5, 2021, 10:24:16 pm »
Fucks sake. Bout time we binned this international shite.

Not sure I've got a matchgoing mate that watches this fucking pathetic shite.

Fuck it off.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 5, 2021, 10:27:59 pm »
i think it should be done once every century so there will be 99 years of solitude to miss the beauty of it.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 5, 2021, 10:31:57 pm »
Infantino is as crook as Blatter, mind boggling that he is part of the organization after that corruption scandal.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 6, 2021, 08:18:19 am »
Every two years we have either a World Cup or a Euros. Personally, I would prefer a World Cup every 2 years than a World Cup and Euros. I've never taken to the Euros, whereas the World Cup I will watch a random group stage game.

But obviously, that's not what will happen and we will get more football. It's like that advert WATCH THE FOOTBALL!

You can be sure that the Euros would just shift by a year so we ended up with a minimum of 3 summers out of 4 featuring a tournament rather than players having time off, assuming that in order to maintain their position, uefa didn't switch to euros every 2 years as well.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 6, 2021, 08:23:16 am »
You can be sure that the Euros would just shift by a year so we ended up with a minimum of 3 summers out of 4 featuring a tournament rather than players having time off, assuming that in order to maintain their position, uefa didn't switch to euros every 2 years as well.
It could end up like cricket where the top international players are used sparingly by their clubs as they're so overburdened with internationals.  Our FA is one of the richest in the world but I think even they'd struggle to centrally contract a squad on over £4m/week so they won't be able to buy off the clubs quite as easily as the ECB did.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 6, 2021, 08:34:51 am »
I love the World Cup but the qualifiers are a load of shite. Teams like Andorra and San Marino are never going to get in, I don't need to watch them get pasted every few weeks.

FIFA wanting to host this every two years and give it to dodgy countries with no footballing history and a shady human rights record shouldn't surprise anyone. Football itself lost it's way a long time ago. Case in point, Man City, Chelsea and PSG.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 6, 2021, 09:26:10 am »
No love for the World Cup, FIFA, UEFA and the entire concept of International football can jump off a cliff for all I care. Shit like this is why Superleague will come again and succeed this time. Clubs pay through the nose for star players and their fitness and performance suffers because of insane congestion in the calendar caused by international football. Their apparent solution is - have more of it.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #37 on: September 6, 2021, 09:35:31 am »
Would completely devalue the competition just like it would if the Olympics were held every 2 years. 

Money (greed) talks though.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 6, 2021, 09:43:16 am »
It could end up like cricket where the top international players are used sparingly by their clubs as they're so overburdened with internationals.  Our FA is one of the richest in the world but I think even they'd struggle to centrally contract a squad on over £4m/week so they won't be able to buy off the clubs quite as easily as the ECB did.

I think it will be the other way round players most likely quit internationals.

Club football generates more money than internationals where as England cricket earn vast amounts compared to county teams.

Rugby/cricket are in the same boat footy is another level and clubs are king.

Like poster below says ESL may come in and then it ends this rubbish as players will be put on the spot then clubs = financially secure international = well paid but not to same level and if you play for a weaker nation it may influence your decision.

Im sure players arent as selfish as my views but it cant carry on like it does.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 6, 2021, 10:33:01 am »
No love for the World Cup, FIFA, UEFA and the entire concept of International football can jump off a cliff for all I care. Shit like this is why Superleague will come again and succeed this time. Clubs pay through the nose for star players and their fitness and performance suffers because of insane congestion in the calendar caused by international football. Their apparent solution is - have more of it.

This. FSG for example are paying players over £1 million a month, having employed one of the best managers in the world and the best medical staff they can get and then they have to lend that prized asset to some country who drag the players all over the place to play for second rate coaches, who invariably damage said asset.

We're going to end up with a football version of the NFL the rate we are going.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA