Author Topic: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”  (Read 314666 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 2021 Formula 1 thread
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2021, 10:05:53 am »
Just seems to have dragged on so there's an issue somewhere clearly. Lewis wouldn't want to bow out without setting the most driver's titles, and realistically Mercedes is the only place for him do be able to do that this year. So it seems obvious that he'd sign, but something is clearly holding things up.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2021, 03:36:22 pm »
What do people think about Lewis still not having signed a contract? There's clearly a sticking point isn't there? Should have been long sorted out by now.

If Lewis fucks off what do you do? Come to a financial settlement with Williams to release George from his contract with them?

Depends really.

If the gentleman's agreement between Hamilton and Wolff was that they'd honour his contract demands and it is just a matter of getting it done, then he's entitled to hold on.  Particularly now he's 7x WDC you'd have normally expected him to have a pay increase to reflect this 'GOAT status driver' level.

That said the broader financial situation can't be ignored and it is up to Daimler if they want to save the 10-15m which seems to be between them.

Broadly though Merc would be ridiculous not to sign him, his value is far more than such a paltry amount (in the great scheme of things), seems more like a PR battle for the bosses wanting to demonstrate reduction in costs for the rest of the employees at Daimler at this point.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2021, 03:43:22 pm »
F1 Schedule 2021 – Bahrain to host season opener as Australia moves later in calendar and Imola returns

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-schedule-2021-bahrain-to-host-season-opener-as-australia-moves-later.4GpFlW2pc8sK9snFaVSHYg.html

Formula 1 has revealed a revised calendar for the 2021 season. The F1 schedule retains a record 23 races, but the 2021 season will now start a week later with the Bahrain Grand Prix on March 28, with the Australian Grand Prix moving later in the year.

Due to the ongoing travel restrictions in place the 2021 Chinese Grand Prix will not take place on its planned date, with Imola returning to the F1 calendar in that slot. Discussions with the promoter and authorities in China are ongoing, with the potential to reschedule the race later in the season if possible.

The TBC race in the calendar will be announced in due course and will take place on the new date of 2nd May.

The updated 2021 F1 race calendar now looks as follows:

28 March – Bahrain (Sakhir)
18 April - Italy (Imola*)
2 May - TBC
9 May – Spain (Barcelona)
23 May – Monaco (Monaco)
6 June – Azerbaijan (Baku)
13 June – Canada (Montreal)
27 June – France (Le Castellet)
4 July – Austria (Spielberg)
18 July – United Kingdom (Silverstone)
1 August – Hungary (Budapest)
29 August – Belgium (Spa)
5 September – Netherlands (Zandvoort)
12 September – Italy (Monza)
26 September – Russia (Sochi)
3 October – Singapore (Singapore)
10 October – Japan (Suzuka)
24 October – USA (Austin)
31 October – Mexico (Mexico City)
7 November – Brazil (Sao Paulo)
21 November - Australia (Melbourne*)
5 December - Saudi Arabia (Jeddah**)
12 December - Abu Dhabi (Yas Island)

*Revisions to calendar are subject to World Motor Sport Council approval **Subject to circuit homologation

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2021, 03:50:07 pm »
Could the hold-up with Hamilton be a length of contract thing? Maybe he wants the security of a couple of years of mega bucks whilst they want to give him one more year to break the record then potentially bring through Russell on a much lower salary?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 04:13:48 pm »
Could the hold-up with Hamilton be a length of contract thing? Maybe he wants the security of a couple of years of mega bucks whilst they want to give him one more year to break the record then potentially bring through Russell on a much lower salary?

Why would they want to get rid of an 8 time WC, the biggest brand in the sport (currently), and someone still at the top of his game?

If anything it’s then wanting longer term than Hamilton wants.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2021, 06:17:00 pm »
I'd switch Imola to that spot behind the Spanish GP and move the TBC earlier, if only to free up a slot that can mean a race with a longer quarantine period before it can be inserted.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2021, 08:22:05 pm »
What do people think about Lewis still not having signed a contract? There's clearly a sticking point isn't there? Should have been long sorted out by now.

If Lewis fucks off what do you do? Come to a financial settlement with Williams to release George from his contract with them?

I was under the impression Russell’s deal with Williams was for 2 years of which 1 year has already been completed. Hamilton also has 1 year left on his contract so they wouldn’t need to break the Williams contract if Hamilton leaves at the end of his contract. Having said all that I would bet my house that it will be Hamilton and Russell in the Mercs in the 2022 season.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 08:25:24 pm »

It’s difficult not to think that isn’t it.

The sport certainly wouldn’t want to lose its biggest star.  But when do you leave? At the top.  Maybe the time? Maybe not?

You’ll have Linudden and west_london_red blowing their loads with talk like that :D

It sounds like when rather than if he signs the contract. I’m pretty sure they’d be panicking if it looked like he might not sign
Linudden is doubtless too busy trying to claim Sweden doesn’t have a coronavirus problem.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 05:17:27 am »
Why would they want to get rid of an 8 time WC, the biggest brand in the sport (currently), and someone still at the top of his game?

If anything it’s then wanting longer term than Hamilton wants.

7xWDC.  Don't get ahead of yourself mate.  :P

I tend to agree about it being more about contract length than money, but I think that it's possibly the other way around to what you are suggesting concerning contract length and who wants what. Admittedly the media are generally full of shit, but the reports that Lewis wants four years and Mercedes a year being the sticking point does seem to make sense. The other conjectural sticking point, that Mercedes are refusing to pay the reported 15 million extra for a 7xwdc - but would then have to pay out Russell's contract instead - doesn't seem to make much sense to me.  Either way, I think that it'll almost certainly get sorted and that Lewis will continue with the team.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:38:24 am by Darren G »

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 11:00:29 am »
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1349303022988484608?s=20

I imagine the announcement isn't very far away

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2021, 09:33:52 am »
It's only testing livery, but here you go...

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2021, 07:59:01 pm »

So the big questions really should be is this what 5 years at Ferrari does to you nowadays? Or why is he not getting a hair transplant?

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2021, 08:02:43 pm »
haha fucking hell. that is........well, it's a good job you pretty much never see an F1 driver without something on their head.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2021, 11:37:18 pm »
Fucking hell, who let Newey behind the wheel?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2021, 10:11:09 am »
I honestly thought that was some promo shoot with Prince William
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2021, 10:26:13 am »
Go for the full shave Seb ! No half measures.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2021, 12:28:22 pm »
I can sympathise, Seb. Hair loss is a bastard  :-\

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2021, 07:27:48 pm »
I know things were bad at Ferrari but putting hair removal cream in the helmet was a bit strong. Stick to the horses head in the bed :P

Reported that there will be a film about Michael Schumacher coming out this year with footage of post accident Schumacher. This is all with the express support of the Schumacher family and I'm sure it will be orchestrated to ensure that the focus is taken away from Mick Schumachers F1 debut. 

Also looks like Haas will be riding out the storm surrounding Mazepin.... Looks like they at least got paid up front this season.

As for this season, will be interesting to see how Mercedes do without DAS and how Aston Martin get on after the 'Pink Mercedes' fiasco.

Roman Grojean will keep a small role within the F1 Drivers’ Association and has a few Indy teams fighting for his signature for 2021

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #58 on: February 3, 2021, 12:15:02 pm »
I was under the impression Russell’s deal with Williams was for 2 years of which 1 year has already been completed. Hamilton also has 1 year left on his contract so they wouldn’t need to break the Williams contract if Hamilton leaves at the end of his contract. Having said all that I would bet my house that it will be Hamilton and Russell in the Mercs in the 2022 season.
i most definitely wouldnt bet that mate

hamilton might jack it in after title 8 who knows. i cant see anyone stopping him. Ferrari made noises last year they wont be competitive this year. Verstappen and maybe perez will win races but not enough.

I get the feeling hamilton doesnt want to team with russell.

i have no doubt russell will be a mercedes driver in 2022

i like the look of the alpine car, shit name, renault so much better

hopefully alonso finally has a competitive car
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 3, 2021, 12:50:05 pm »
Few car launch dates have been released

Alfa Romeo - Feb 22nd
Mclaren - Feb 15th
Mercedes - March 2nd

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 3, 2021, 04:05:10 pm »
if you want to kill time during the off i can recommend podcasts groups

bring back v10s

beyond the grid

both available on spotify and im sure many other platforms.

i have been working from home for all bar one day since the end of march so with a toddler i listened to about 5 podcasts in that time.

i squeezed in 4 this week as i had to go to the office for something and its a 3 hour round trip almost (so was my time to listen to them in peace pre covid)

the 4 i got in were all bring back v10s
1. hondas aborted 1999 effort
2. the 1990 french grand prix, although that was more about the backround to it rather than the actual race
3. michael schumacher ditching jordan for benetton
4. toyotas 2001 preparation, quite interestingly they intended to start with a v12 engine

gary anderson i believe has his own series, i havent tuned in but im sure its great as he doesnt waffle, simplifies a lot of info and is very intelligent

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 3, 2021, 04:31:20 pm »
Gary Anderson I thought was dreadful when he was still on TV.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 4, 2021, 08:50:25 am »
Oh well. Each to their own

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 4, 2021, 03:51:18 pm »
i was looking through an old f1 thread for something and found this

great shout,

That 97 Tyrell was hawt anyway. And speaking of Jos the Boss, watch out for his son Max, who is ripping up trees in KF3 - World & Euro Champion last season. If he keeps it up, he's going places. Big time.

havent seen him post in ages but what a shout considering Max was only about 12

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #64 on: February 5, 2021, 05:56:37 pm »

So the big questions really should be is this what 5 years at Ferrari does to you nowadays? Or why is he not getting a hair transplant?

It’s that hotel shampoo that F1 drivers seem to use.

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 5, 2021, 06:08:21 pm »
You’ll have Linudden and west_london_red blowing their loads with talk like that :D

It sounds like when rather than if he signs the contract. I’m pretty sure they’d be panicking if it looked like he might not sign

Getting nervous yet? ;)

But in all seriousness if you end up in the situation where the defending champion isn’t in the sport that always a shame, and it would probably be unfair on whoever were to win it in Hamilton’s absence because people will be saying xxxxxx only won it because Hamilton wasn’t there.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 6, 2021, 01:28:17 pm »
if you want to kill time during the off i can recommend podcasts groups

bring back v10s

beyond the grid

both available on spotify and im sure many other platforms.
Haven't heard the first, but BtG is a great interview series, just listened to the one with Ralf Schumacher this morning.
My Twitter

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #67 on: February 8, 2021, 11:20:47 am »
Hamilton signs 1 year contract

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55380710

Win number 8 and retire ? Replaced by Russell at the end of the season ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 8, 2021, 11:22:33 am »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #69 on: February 8, 2021, 11:25:13 am »
Smart move by all concerned.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 8, 2021, 11:27:33 am »
Hamilton signs 1 year contract

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55380710

Win number 8 and retire ? Replaced by Russell at the end of the season ?

Yep. That will be the plan. Go out as the GOAT with absolutely nothing left to prove in the sport.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 8, 2021, 11:55:48 am »
When does Verstappens contract at Red Bull expire?
Thinking is overrated.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 8, 2021, 11:57:15 am »

Listen, we have our differences when it comes to F1, but no need for that. Reminders of the existence of Roy Hodgson are below the belt!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 8, 2021, 12:00:52 pm »
When does Verstappens contract at Red Bull expire?

He's signed for this season plus two more, but there are a number of clauses in his relating to engine performance. If the engine isn't competitive, or Red Bull aren't able to come to an agreement about the future engine supply from Honda then he has a get out at the end of this year.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 8, 2021, 12:07:47 pm »
He's signed for this season plus two more, but there are a number of clauses in his relating to engine performance. If the engine isn't competitive, or Red Bull aren't able to come to an agreement about the future engine supply from Honda then he has a get out at the end of this year.

It will be interesting, because as it stands both Hamilton and Bottas are out of contract at the end of the season. Hamilton I can see signing another deal, I think Bottas will almost definitely be gone.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 8, 2021, 12:13:02 pm »
Makes sense for him to do it a year at a time. He's probably a bit like Messi at Barca at this point, can pretty much dictate what he wants.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #76 on: February 8, 2021, 01:39:13 pm »
Makes sense for him to do it a year at a time. He's probably a bit like Messi at Barca at this point, can pretty much dictate what he wants.

He has so many options at the end of the season. I wonder if he will want a crack at the triple crown ?  Will he have a swansong at Ferrari ? Or will he be done with serious racing ?  I just think that with Hamilton he has a good few years left in him. He has kept himself incredibly fit - as they all have to nowadays - and there is no reason why he cannot carry on winning in the right machinery. You never know, he may even fancy a crack at team ownership in some way other than the non F1 stuff he is involved in.

Anyway, win number 8 and decide later. It would be great to see Russell in a Merc I must say.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 8, 2021, 01:57:23 pm »
It will be interesting, because as it stands both Hamilton and Bottas are out of contract at the end of the season. Hamilton I can see signing another deal, I think Bottas will almost definitely be gone.
bottas is in a spot like patrese was at end of 1992

think he hedged his bets and signed for benetton as Mansell, Prost and Senna squabled over two seats. Chances are he could have stayed as only Prost got a deal from the other 3 options

if he holds out then he might get alongside russell if hamilton packs in, still a chance to win the title then

few race wins if nothing else

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #78 on: February 8, 2021, 02:02:56 pm »
bottas is in a spot like patrese was at end of 1992

think he hedged his bets and signed for benetton as Mansell, Prost and Senna squabled over two seats. Chances are he could have stayed as only Prost got a deal from the other 3 options

if he holds out then he might get alongside russell if hamilton packs in, still a chance to win the title then

few race wins if nothing else

They will presumably want someone who has been involved in the development of the new car under the new regs as well. Changing both drivers at the end of the season could be unwise.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #79 on: February 8, 2021, 02:13:05 pm »
Think if Hamilton wins number 8 he moves to Ferrari if that's an option at the time.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.