Author Topic: Atletico Madrid  (Read 31157 times)

Offline Milkay Gundog

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Atletico Madrid
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:10:24 am »
I think they deserve recognition for what they have achieved under Simeone, they have been amazing this season winning all their games in the League and Champions league so far. For me they could be potential Champions League winners this season given the right draw, if they carry on their form in the league who knows even La-Liga winners. Listen to the video below from 2.04 till about 1.15 it's a very good watch, discussing the potential of Atletcio winning the Champions League. 

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/arsene-wenger/atletico-one-10-potential-champions-league-winners-180535946--sow.html

Offline pipebender

• Main Stander
Re: Atletico Madrid
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:25:25 am »
Agreed, perfect record so far and an extremely tough team to beat, they just don't concede scoring chances. Simeone is a top manager and Diego Costa could very well be their next big striker after Torres, Forlán, Agüero and Falcao. Not CL winner material but a great team, imo.

Offline golgolgol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »
They are a top team no doubt and a very strong squad. I think they are capable of beating anyone bar Bayern Munich.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:12:57 pm »
definate dark horses in this years champions league,strong all over the pitch from goalkeeper to the forwards,simeone has worked wonders there.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:16:38 am »
A sad irony in the whole story of Atletico in recent years is that their prodigal son Fernando Torres left them as he felt he couldn't fulfill his ambitions staying true to his hometown club, only for them to become a European powerhouse again after he left them. Great work by Simeone there. Definitely under-rated amongst Europe's best young coaches.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 01:28:36 am »
Hope they can challenge for the league. With the resources of Madrid and Barca, probably won't be able to, but would be nice if they won it. The whole Real/Barca thing is so fucking boring nowadays to be honest.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:33:32 am »
As remarkable as any job in football what Simeone has done in the last few years, he has taken a club on the brink of financial ruin, even having to sell his best player and they are ahead of their city rivals again and beat them twice at the Bernabeu in a matter of months, a place they had failed to win this decade. All done with pragmatism and cutting his cloth according to what fits.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:08:13 am »
Similiar to Klopp, Simeone has worked wonders with a team that has been losing it's "best player" every summer and somehow been better the next.

His greatest achievement of all has been shaking the losers mentality at Atletico, they always seemed to crumble against Real even with brilliant players but now they are fierce, competitive and fearless against the best teams.

Don't think they can win the european cup but they are my dark horses for the league.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:25:27 am »
So he is the next Chelsea manager?
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:41:31 am »
Oh Diego Costa. I stand on the banks of the Mersey, staring forlornly into the middle distance, hoping I'm pointed vaguely in the directions of Madrid and Dortmund. Mkhitaryan and Costa, what could have been.

The guy's a beast, and Simeone is bringing out the best in him. He just bullies CBs. He'll be at Chelsea or PSG in the next year.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:56 am »
A sad irony in the whole story of Atletico in recent years is that their prodigal son Fernando Torres left them as he felt he couldn't fulfill his ambitions staying true to his hometown club, only for them to become a European powerhouse again after he left them. Great work by Simeone there. Definitely under-rated amongst Europe's best young coaches.

I don't find that sad at all, its fucking hilarious.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 11:46:20 am »

Pragmatic football....They already have a great proponent of that in Mourinho.

That said, Chelsea don't exactly have a proper strategy when it comes to managers, it wouldn't surprise me if John Terry gets the gig next.

Offline jfc

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 11:53:57 am »

abit different though isn't it. Atletico are only really challenging now

Offline jfc

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 11:54:55 am »
Oh Diego Costa. I stand on the banks of the Mersey, staring forlornly into the middle distance, hoping I'm pointed vaguely in the directions of Madrid and Dortmund. Mkhitaryan and Costa, what could have been.

The guy's a beast, and Simeone is bringing out the best in him. He just bullies CBs. He'll be at Chelsea or PSG in the next year.

I know  :'(  We would've been pretty damn strong if we got both of them

Offline Milkay Gundog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »
Pragmatic football....They already have a great proponent of that in Mourinho.

That said, Chelsea don't exactly have a proper strategy when it comes to managers, it wouldn't surprise me if John Terry gets the gig next.
Mourinho is finished compared to Simeone one's career is going backwards, the other is going on the up and up Simeone is the manger Mourinho used to be. Chelsea got the wrong man in the summer imo, it should of been Simeone who got the job and not Mourinho thankfully they went for the later.   

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 01:00:57 pm »

Would be nice to have Costa as well, but I'm happy with Sturridge.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:30 pm »
they did get recognition....well from me anyway.

one half of football into simeone's reign you could tell instantly the impact he had made....it was astounding imo
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 01:09:19 pm »

I've got a lot of time for them and their fans. Spent a week in Madrid during last years Euros and watched a couple of the Spain matches in a district close to their ground. Bars were full of Athleti fans and we were made extremely welcome (free tapas! - least I think they were free). They've always struck me as the Spanish equivalent of LFC, so it was natural to gravitate to them rather than the other lot in the north of Madrid.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 01:12:20 pm »
were abit of a bogey team for us in Europe

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 01:14:40 pm »
I think they deserve recognition for what they have achieved under Simeone, they have been amazing this season winning all their games in the League and Champions league so far. For me they could be potential Champions League winners this season given the right draw, if they carry on their form in the league who knows even La-Liga winners. Listen to the video below from 2.04 till about 1.15 it's a very good watch, discussing the potential of Atletcio winning the Champions League. 

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/arsene-wenger/atletico-one-10-potential-champions-league-winners-180535946--sow.html

Great team and a fantastic start to the season but that's a bit extreme, no?
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »

Nothing to do with Atletico really but I wonder how different things would have been had we gone through against them in 2010 and Rafa's Liverpool had beaten Hodgson's Fulham in the final.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:52 pm »
Koke + Torres in the middle is going to be one of the strongest midfield 2 around in the next few years.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 01:19:17 pm »

I read that in Didi's voice! :O
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Milkay Gundog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 01:22:56 pm »
Anything could happen if you have a good route through to the semis, once you are there in the semis you just need good fortune to go all the way. Chelsea last year and Inter in 2010 played a similar brand of football that Ateltcio play, with a good amount of luck they both went on to win the trophy so who knows maybe Atletico could do the same. Take into account they won two Europa Leagues in three years, which is a extremely difficult trophy to win.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:25:58 pm by Ilkay Gundogan »

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 01:23:50 pm »
Hope they can challenge for the league. With the resources of Madrid and Barca, probably won't be able to, but would be nice if they won it. The whole Real/Barca thing is so fucking boring nowadays to be honest.

yup
YNWA

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
Would be nice to have Costa as well, but I'm happy with Sturridge.
I'm mad up with Sturridge, I think he's a top player with a scarily high amount of potential, enough that people on here are actually scared to talk about it due to the fear of it not being fulfilled.

I love a CF who physically intimidates a CB though. Costa now, Luca Toni in his pomp, Didier Drogba for several years. Even Fernando Torres, a time ago.

Simeone has impressed me, and his style is certainly the type of game that won Chelsea numerous trophies in Mourinho's first spell.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 02:04:56 pm »
Have watched a couple of their games this season and they've been brilliant. Such great control of space, compact and organised. Simeone has done a phenomenal job.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 02:07:34 pm »
Arda and Koke have stood out for me, along with Miranda and Costa. Those two wide players run themselves into the ground pressing in virtually every game. I thought Arda might find his way into the Premier League this summer, but he's stayed and he's playing well.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »
Filipe Luis is a very good player as well.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:47 pm »

Next Bond villain. Are you telling me you can't picture this guy out for world domination or slowly running an 8 gigaton laser towards Daniel Craig's Marouane Fellaini?

Justice For The 96

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:54 pm »

Not really when you think we won it in 2005 with smicer, kewell and traore. If they get a decent draw who knows what might happen.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 12:53:53 pm »

Of course. Nothing to take away from them but this is starting to become like 'Arry and Tottenham in the CL when some thought they could go all the way. Yes, you can't rule it out but I personally can't see it happening. Either from what history has showed us, Atletico's stature in the CL and especially in the knockout phase when shit get real and finally you just don't know in what shape teams will be in February.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 12:56:29 pm »
United should have gone for Koke instead of Harrera. Much cheaper, much better.

Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 12:56:47 pm »
Cheeky bid for Arda&Costa this January then

Online Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 12:57:41 pm »
Koke + Torres in the middle is going to be one of the strongest midfield 2 around in the next few years.

Can they keep the players at the club though?
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »
I thought the same but no way would Koke have gone for anything less than £30m. Doubtful that he even would have went as well.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 02:40:24 pm »
Can they keep the players at the club though?

If they continue this form and challenge for the title I don't see why not, this team is good enough to get into the quarter finals of the champions league and maybe beyond so they might sort out their financial issues - otherwise they may sell players to balance the books as per the past, which is a shame as they have the makings of a top top team and an exciting one to watch.

Offline Milkay Gundog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »
Of course. Nothing to take away from them but this is starting to become like 'Arry and Tottenham in the CL when some thought they could go all the way. Yes, you can't rule it out but I personally can't see it happening. Either from what history has showed us, Atletico's stature in the CL and especially in the knockout phase when shit get real and finally you just don't know in what shape teams will be in February.
Under Simeone they have won two knockout trophies which contained 2 legged ties , so you have to look at that it does not sound anything like Harry and Tottenham. I think you are being disrespectful towards Atletico comparing them with Tottenham, they have a great recent history in Europe and have won 3 trophies under Simeone. What did Harry achieve with Spurs nothing, he did not win a single thing with them you are basically comparing a loser to a winner.       

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 03:04:42 pm »

United should have gone for Simeone instead of Moyes
YNWA

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 05:09:13 pm »
Under Simeone they have won two knockout trophies which contained 2 legged ties , so you have to look at that it does not sound anything like Harry and Tottenham. I think you are being disrespectful towards Atletico comparing them with Tottenham, they have a great recent history in Europe and have won 3 trophies under Simeone. What did Harry achieve with Spurs nothing, he did not win a single thing with them you are basically comparing a loser to a winner.       

Europa League is not the same with the CL. Just in case you need reminding. I didn't compare the two teams per se btw. Was more comparing that both teams were huge underdogs and some believed they can reach the CL final and win it.

I also think you should limit the Atletico wanking a bit. You're so high on their performances and results (which admittedly have been superb) but somehow you have translated that to a very possible CL success.

Finally how many teams of Atletico's stature have won the CL all these years? Yeah I know history doesn't play football but a look at the CL winners is telling.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.