Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5717898 times)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #54080 on: November 9, 2019, 09:33:56 pm »
Linked with Luis Enrique now.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #54081 on: November 9, 2019, 09:36:17 pm »
Should go for Pochettino.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54082 on: November 9, 2019, 09:41:58 pm »
He was beyond awful at Monaco, though.

But I did like him.

Oh wait, that's Emery. Sorry, ignore me.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #54083 on: November 9, 2019, 09:47:56 pm »
But I did like him.

Oh wait, that's Emery. Sorry, ignore me.
Dick
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #54084 on: November 9, 2019, 09:54:34 pm »
Would they be able to get Benitez from China? Him with Arsenal would be a match made in heaven.

I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to work with world class defenders such as Luiz, Kolasinac, Chambers, Mustafi, etc.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54085 on: November 9, 2019, 10:04:54 pm »
I say give it Henry till the end of the season.

Hope so, hes shite.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54086 on: November 9, 2019, 10:07:24 pm »
I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to work with world class defenders such as Luiz, Kolasinac, Chambers, Mustafi, etc.

Hey if he can make Newcastle into a decent defensive unit I am sure he would be good at Arsenal until he can get some decent defenders. Especially with their attacking line up

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54087 on: November 9, 2019, 10:11:13 pm »

Well, David Luiz was singing his praises when he was coached by Rafa at Chelsea and how he improved him.

If Rafa can do it with Paul Dummett, he can easily do it with Arsenal.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54088 on: November 9, 2019, 10:16:44 pm »
Hope so, hes shite.
nah they play city twice could do with them being useful

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54089 on: November 10, 2019, 02:29:12 am »
I say give it Henry till the end of the season.
Seriously? They may get relegated
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54090 on: November 10, 2019, 02:43:37 am »
After Wenger, Emery was an underwhelming appointment. Added to the fact that the playing squad that they have currently are nowhere near good enough to compete with the best in the Premier League. Recruitment has been mediocre at best. Signing players whose best days were behind them was never a good sign. Letting go players for next to nothing who later proved you wrong eg Gnabry is even worse

Arsenal is not in a good place right now and in danger of drifting further. Rafa would be good for them. Otherwise I would keep Emery until the end of the season and then bring in Simeone in the summer. They truly need a top manager/head coach to right the ship. Having said that ... not that I mind a weak Arsenal
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54091 on: November 10, 2019, 03:05:17 am »
Deserve all this shit and more for the pathetic way they treated their greatest ever manager.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54092 on: November 10, 2019, 05:35:29 am »
Seriously? They may get relegated

Obviously I'm just joking mate. Henry is shite.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #54093 on: November 10, 2019, 11:32:45 am »
Ornstein saying they won't sack Emery and want to give him until the summer

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54094 on: November 10, 2019, 11:43:03 am »
After Wenger, Emery was an underwhelming appointment. Added to the fact that the playing squad that they have currently are nowhere near good enough to compete with the best in the Premier League. Recruitment has been mediocre at best. Signing players whose best days were behind them was never a good sign. Letting go players for next to nothing who later proved you wrong eg Gnabry is even worse

Arsenal is not in a good place right now and in danger of drifting further. Rafa would be good for them. Otherwise I would keep Emery until the end of the season and then bring in Simeone in the summer. They truly need a top manager/head coach to right the ship. Having said that ... not that I mind a weak Arsenal

You can understand the thinking, and at the time there was an element of it making sense.  The issue with Wenger was always the playing structure on the pitch was disjointed and seen as a laissez-faire 'just get on with it and express yourself' style of play - something which was sometimes majestic and often very frustrating to watch. 

Emery's intention was to galvanize a spirit to fight more in games and last season we saw much of that starting to appear, even if it made for uninspiring football - but this season he's had one calamity after another - starting the season with no fit full backs, not playing Ozil and now Xhaka makes it seem his lack of top level English is causing issues with understanding amongst the club and fans - plus he's just not that charismatic to carry the defeats and turn them into a learning point for the team to improve from.  We all saw Neymar undermining him at PSG and it seems he's taken that as a 'career defining' moment where he's over-reacting against players who disagree with his approach - unfortunately when you're talking hundreds of thousands of wage capacity used on players who aren't even playing - he's on a hiding to nothing.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54095 on: November 10, 2019, 11:45:46 am »
Hey if he can make Newcastle into a decent defensive unit I am sure he would be good at Arsenal until he can get some decent defenders. Especially with their attacking line up
I don't think the Arsenal owners want someone with a track record for public clashes with owners.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54096 on: November 10, 2019, 11:48:07 am »
Ornstein saying they won't sack Emery and want to give him until the summer

Wouldn't surprise me, in many ways Emery has the players he just needs to get them pulling in the right direction.  Defensively.. where to start? The team has been shocking for years and he needs to sort this out first and foremost, Leno is top of the league in saves made as the defence and midfield are often cut through far too easily - a problem for probably a decade at Arsenal.  I actually think Rodgers wouldn't be a great fit as he seemed to struggle with the defensive side of correcting Liverpool, but with Leicester they've always had that defensive rigidity and team spirit to run from the front - at Arsenal there seems to be a sense of inertia and lethargy which doesn't capture interest as much as it used to. 

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54097 on: November 10, 2019, 11:54:07 am »
Wouldn't surprise me, in many ways Emery has the players he just needs to get them pulling in the right direction.  Defensively.. where to start? The team has been shocking for years and he needs to sort this out first and foremost, Leno is top of the league in saves made as the defence and midfield are often cut through far too easily - a problem for probably a decade at Arsenal.  I actually think Rodgers wouldn't be a great fit as he seemed to struggle with the defensive side of correcting Liverpool, but with Leicester they've always had that defensive rigidity and team spirit to run from the front - at Arsenal there seems to be a sense of inertia and lethargy which doesn't capture interest as much as it used to.

Rodgers won't work with a DOF, if Arsenal have decided this is how they want to develop they need someone who has experience of working with one. You only have to look at Rodgers time with us to realise he is a manager who wants to do everything. Arsenal first have to decide exactly how they intend to set the club up and that to me is still somewhat up in the air. Once they do that, then you search for a manager who fits inside that organisation.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54098 on: November 10, 2019, 12:08:53 pm »

That's a fair point about Rodgers and the DOF is one too jill. I'd like to think he's grown as a coach since he left Liverpool (although how much in a one team league is up for debate) and he's not as naive as he sometimes was when he was here.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54099 on: November 10, 2019, 12:15:13 pm »
That's a fair point about Rodgers and the DOF is one too jill. I'd like to think he's grown as a coach since he left Liverpool (although how much in a one team league is up for debate) and he's not as naive as he sometimes was when he was here.

The thing about Rodgers is he is a great coach and that is what he should concentrate on doing. The time when a manager did everything is fast disappearing anyway football is too full on now. I hope he has learnt from his past mistakes as then he go on and do an even better job. But I noticed he was having a pop at FSG after the game and there is no need for that. He's at a decent club just get on with it and don't harp on about the past.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54100 on: November 10, 2019, 12:19:05 pm »
The thing about Rodgers is he is a great coach and that is what he should concentrate on doing. The time when a manager did everything is fast disappearing anyway football is too full on now. I hope he has learnt from his past mistakes as then he go on and do an even better job. But I noticed he was having a pop at FSG after the game and there is no need for that. He's at a decent club just get on with it and don't harp on about the past.

What was he saying about FSG?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan

Online MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54102 on: November 10, 2019, 12:33:13 pm »
Any manager that came in to replace Wenger was on a hiding to nothing. While things stagnated badly towards the end of Wenger’s time, he was Arsenals most successful and long serving manager and fans had come to expect success that a new manager would struggle to deliver with what he inherited.

Emery has not helped himself though, his signings have mostly been poor, his coaching and man management do not seem to be improving the team. After half a season, Emery should have worked out if he wanted to play or bin Ozul. However, the player is still at Arsenal becoming a £350k per week, seldom playing Sword of Damocles for the manager. Should he go? perhaps. However, Arsenal would be wise to learn from M** U and not appoint a fan favourite as a caretaker.
Justice for the 96!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #54104 on: November 10, 2019, 12:41:08 pm »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-aims-transfer-dig-20852577?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

A manager who spent 300 mill on players in a little over 3 years at a time when fees hadn’t gone completely mad has no room to talk that’s for sure.

Online MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54105 on: November 10, 2019, 12:44:19 pm »
I’d argue that Rogers inherited a better squad than Emery. He’s had less time to buy poor players too.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54106 on: November 10, 2019, 12:54:35 pm »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-aims-transfer-dig-20852577?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Yeah, no surprise he's defending his record here. But there was an obvious disconnect between him and the owners towards the end of his time here. A little too soon to be talking about his defence at Leicester though, like Ashburton said, he did inherit a solid defence and yeah, our defending wasn't particularly great when he was here.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #54107 on: November 10, 2019, 12:58:41 pm »
I think we’ve all seen this trick before

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54108 on: November 10, 2019, 01:02:14 pm »

Meh, don’t care. Thankfully everything that happened with Rodgers happened to lead us to a far better, more suitable manager. Might also be worth pointing out that it’s hard to see the likes of VVD and Alisson turning down Man City and Real Madrid respectively to play under Rodgers.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54109 on: November 10, 2019, 01:02:44 pm »
I’d argue that Rogers inherited a better squad than Emery. He’s had less time to buy poor players too.

That's the acid test for me as far as Brendan is concerned, has he learnt from past mistakes?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54110 on: November 10, 2019, 01:04:57 pm »
He wanted to sign Ashley Williams... the club said no....

I'd forgotten about that one.   :o

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54111 on: November 10, 2019, 01:07:06 pm »
Yeah, no surprise he's defending his record here. But there was an obvious disconnect between him and the owners towards the end of his time here. A little too soon to be talking about his defence at Leicester though, like Ashburton said, he did inherit a solid defence and yeah, our defending wasn't particularly great when he was here.

Him using his defensive record in Scotland also seems a little desperate too, it is not like they were regularly challenged by anyone.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #54112 on: November 10, 2019, 02:55:34 pm »
He wanted to sign Ashley Williams... the club said no....

But now he has Jonny Evans...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54113 on: November 10, 2019, 03:01:11 pm »
It's a dig that shows Brendan is still a fragile ego and that is one of his weaknesses as a manager.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54114 on: November 10, 2019, 03:45:44 pm »

I'd agree with that. It's certainly got much more balance and structure to it than the squad Emery inherited.

Player wise, I actually don't think Arsenal are far away now from having a decent team, under the right coach. We've a good pair of full backs in Bellerin and Tierney, and some good options up front. There's guys in midfield like Guendouzi and Torriera that are decent options in midfield. We've also got what looks like a very good prospect in Saliba coming in next summer for centre back. We just need to add some pace and power in vital areas and add more defensive nous. Of course, we seem to be having the same conversation for a decade though.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54115 on: November 10, 2019, 03:55:31 pm »
Unai Good Ebenin Emery

Online MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54116 on: November 10, 2019, 07:16:05 pm »
Leno and the fullbacks are decent. If a manager was able
to rid Luiz of the infuriating parts of his game, Arsenal
would have a decent defence. Aubameyang is really good, but the wrong side of 30.
Justice for the 96!

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54117 on: November 10, 2019, 08:05:08 pm »
Leno and the fullbacks are decent. If a manager was able
to rid Luiz of the infuriating parts of his game, Arsenal
would have a decent defence. Aubameyang is really good, but the wrong side of 30.

I don't think that is
How Haikus work normally
But your point is true

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54118 on: November 10, 2019, 08:08:20 pm »
I don't think that is
How Haikus work normally
But your point is true

*doffs cap

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/