Author Topic: The 2020 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 146673 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: The 2020 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2020, 05:09:12 pm »
Big fan of them sending ex Ferrari Technical Director out to do a smug as fuck video on Twitter about it. Almost to say to the paddock 'Yeah, dont bother turning up this season. We've got it sorted'

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2020, 05:14:04 pm »
Would that be classed as a movable aerodynamic device?

And I thought the toe angle had to be the same on all cars after tyre failures a few years ago.

They can argue that aero is not the primary function of the device as per every other mod by every other team.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2020, 05:15:39 pm »
The interesting thing is that they have unveiled it so early rather that trying to obfuscate it to give the other teams less time. 

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2020, 05:29:01 pm »
Big fan of them sending ex Ferrari Technical Director out to do a smug as fuck video on Twitter about it. Almost to say to the paddock 'Yeah, dont bother turning up this season. We've got it sorted'
Hmmm

Let’s wait until the first few races....

Preseason testing times  mean very little...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2020, 05:45:21 pm »
The interesting thing is that they have unveiled it so early rather that trying to obfuscate it to give the other teams less time. 

With such limited testing they prob have to unveil it to test it properly.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2020, 05:48:00 pm »

Dont think it really matters, from what people have been saying about it today it would take half a season to replicate it. Plus Merc actually have to test it themselves to make sure it works and does what they designed it to do.

It sounds like no one can exactly work out what its doing, whether theyre trying to reduce wear on the fronts down the straights or actively scrubbing them slightly to keep heat in the tyres down long straights so they have better performance in the next corner, either way having a device that can adjust the toe could be hugely beneficial to them, it might not be needed every lap of every track, but imagine if you could keep the front tyres at full temp behind a safety car, or cool them off more on hot tracks. Its a fascinating idea.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2020, 06:05:13 pm »
That people aren’t really sure what befits it will bring means a couple of things.

1.  No one else is working on something similar.

2.  Or possibly they did look at it and thought it wasn’t worth the effort for the return.

Interesting to see which it is.
Maybe it won’t make a difference?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2020, 06:14:19 pm »
That people aren’t really sure what befits it will bring means a couple of things.

2.  Or possibly they did look at it and thought it wasn’t worth the effort for the return.

My concern would be that between this and their revolutionary rear suspension they’ve got a lot of new concepts to get working right and have very little knowledge of their long term reliability.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2020, 06:22:11 pm »
My concern would be that between this and their revolutionary rear suspension they’ve got a lot of new concepts to get working right and have very little knowledge of their long term reliability.
They’ve done an awful lot of laps in the first two days though..

But Ferrari and Red Bull will have a trick or two up their sleeves surely? 
W

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2020, 08:11:12 pm »
They’ve done an awful lot of laps in the first two days though..

But Ferrari and Red Bull will have a trick or two up their sleeves surely? 

Ferrari's trick being self-sabotage?

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2020, 07:09:38 am »
Hmmm

Let’s wait until the first few races....

Preseason testing times  mean very little...
Its Mercedes...everything works.

It seems like the FIA will ban it for 2021 but have no grounds for it now because it wasnt in the regulations. Incredible really. Always finding marginal gains, even after all the winning

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2020, 08:30:50 am »
“I've seen it and we talked about it at lunch,” said Vettel. “It obviously looks interesting. I guess the fact that they're running with it means it's legal. I don't know, but it's called steering wheel, not push or pull wheel!

Yeah it's also not called a 'push lots of buttons and make lots of brake balance adjustments wheel' but it's still used for that.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2020, 09:34:33 am »
Bit of a rundown on DAS.  Looks like the FIA have Okayed it: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-mercedes-das-system-is-legal/4689416/?nrt=54

Meanwhile...Red flag, Ferrari's engine looks like it's just gone.  Here we go again.  :butt
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:37:38 am by Darren G »

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2020, 09:54:00 am »
Yeah it's also not called a 'push lots of buttons and make lots of brake balance adjustments wheel' but it's still used for that.

He was joking because he has never seen a wheel being pulled and pushed only turned so it's a new thing to learn when you have driven your whole life only turning a wheel suddenly there is a new element there. Why the defensiveness? He only answered a question.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2020, 12:22:02 pm »
Interesting

DAS won’t be legal in 2021.  So will other teams bother?

It may not be worth the effort for them
W

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2020, 12:41:42 pm »
Interesting

DAS won’t be legal in 2021.  So will other teams bother?

It may not be worth the effort for them

Will take resource and time, I guess they may wait to see how effective it really is.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2020, 12:45:55 pm »
Bit of a rundown on DAS.  Looks like the FIA have Okayed it: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-mercedes-das-system-is-legal/4689416/?nrt=54

Meanwhile...Red flag, Ferrari's engine looks like it's just gone.  Here we go again.  :butt

That older guy could put anyone to sleep. Sounds so bored.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2020, 01:29:27 pm »
That older guy could put anyone to sleep. Sounds so bored.

I didn't watch the video, only read the article.  ;D

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2020, 06:10:17 pm »

Or

3. It’s a total red herring, that has little benefit but Mercedes are using it to send everyone else the wrong way in development or distract from other developments they have made elsewhere on the car.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2020, 06:34:19 pm »
Or

3. It’s a total red herring, that has little benefit but Mercedes are using it to send everyone else the wrong way in development or distract from other developments they have made elsewhere on the car.
Yeah.... I agree.  Which was kind of my point in 2.   Is it much of an advantage?  I can’t imagine they’d bother if it wasn’t though.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2020, 08:04:29 pm »
The 1:15.7 today is almost exactly the same as the pole time at Barcelona last year.

You’d imagine that teams are yet to turn their engines up yet too...

Quite a jump?
W

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2020, 12:30:55 pm »
Set on a softer compound than used at Barcelona GP weekends though wasn’t it?

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2020, 02:52:44 pm »
Or

I cannot imagine a team like Mercedes would waste one minute of R&D time on something that wasnt providing an advantage. Theres no way they'd design, consult with the FIA and implement a system that does nothing solely to try and distract other teams.

It might provide minimal benefit, or it could be a game changer for tyre management and long run pace, but its there because they believe it will do something.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2020, 02:55:57 pm »
I cannot imagine a team like Mercedes would waste one minute of R&D time on something that wasnt providing an advantage. Theres no way they'd design, consult with the FIA and implement a system that does nothing solely to try and distract other teams.

It might provide minimal benefit, or it could be a game changer for tyre management and long run pace, but its there because they believe it will do something.

Oh I agree it’s unlikely, but Mercedes seem to do such a good job over the winter each year that I wouldn’t put anything past them.

Also, was the banning of DAS for 2021 always in place or was it added after it was seen?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2020, 04:15:58 pm »
Oh I agree it’s unlikely, but Mercedes seem to do such a good job over the winter each year that I wouldn’t put anything past them.

Also, was the banning of DAS for 2021 always in place or was it added after it was seen?

People are speculating that Mercedes cleared the systems legality with the FIA and once they knew how it worked they decided to close that loophole in the next regulation changes because it was an amendment that was put in a few months back. The new regulation is an updated wording of the existing one, which seems to explicitly outlaw DAS.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2020, 06:25:30 pm »
People are speculating that Mercedes cleared the systems legality with the FIA and once they knew how it worked they decided to close that loophole in the next regulation changes because it was an amendment that was put in a few months back. The new regulation is an updated wording of the existing one, which seems to explicitly outlaw DAS.

The reason I ask is that I was wondering if Mercedes saw the fact that such a system is illegal in the 2021 regulations kind of implies that it isn’t illegal in 2020 and that is what have Mercedes the idea.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2020, 11:54:51 am »
https://www.autosport.com/f1/live/2923636/barcelona-f1-test-two-day-one-2020

testing is back today

have a look and see whos top

nice surprise
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2020, 01:14:34 pm »
Well there is no way Kimi is getting out of bed for testing :P

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2020, 06:27:21 pm »
https://www.autosport.com/f1/live/2923636/barcelona-f1-test-two-day-one-2020

testing is back today

have a look and see whos top

nice surprise
1.2 seconds behind the fastest time last week of course.
W

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2020, 07:17:57 pm »
1.2 seconds behind the fastest time last week of course.

Also set on softs, Hamilton's was on hards

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2020, 09:05:27 am »
oh i know its on the c5s but still nice to see him up there

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2020, 09:05:57 am »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:21:25 pm by Hellrazor »

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2020, 04:47:11 pm »
Could be a good year for my Boi Perez and Tracing point

;D
YNWA

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2020, 10:05:17 pm »
New series of Drive to Survive out tomorrow. Hope it's not become too knowing in its success.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2020, 09:24:52 am »
The McLaren was showing encouraging times, while sticking to the C2 compound on heavy full loads for the majority of both tests. They're showing very good pace on the C3 now as well.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2020, 09:45:08 am »
hmmm have ferrari shown any pace at all?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2020, 10:40:58 am »
hmmm have ferrari shown any pace at all?
Didn't Vettel do a 1:16 yesyterday?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2020, 11:21:29 am »
Didn't Vettel do a 1:16 yesyterday?
leclerc just pinged one in too

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2020, 11:41:26 am »
Some fast laps on the C5 going in now. Renault on top - on a used C5 tire apparently.

Still a bit off Bottas' fastest lap in testing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:43:49 am by Trump's tiny tiny hands »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2020, 11:43:59 am »
1   Ricciardo      Renault     1m16.276s
2   Leclerc         Ferrari      1m16.360s
3   Hamilton      Mercedes   1m16.410s