Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1325439 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: VAR! Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing... ?
« Reply #6560 on: July 6, 2020, 12:43:01 pm »
Just watching expert Dermot Gallagher going through the weekends decisions ;D

Just laughable. If the point of these experts is just ‘great officiating, right decision’ for every decision then they really are wasting a lot of money.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #6561 on: July 6, 2020, 03:00:05 pm »
If Salah would have been Greenwood, then we'd  have had two penalties.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6562 on: July 8, 2020, 05:36:42 am »
Just watching expert Dermot Gallagher going through the weekends decisions ;D

Just laughable. If the point of these experts is just ‘great officiating, right decision’ for every decision then they really are wasting a lot of money.
Well, they all were admittedly ‘great officiating, right decisions’. For job security, that is.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6563 on: July 9, 2020, 06:10:11 pm »
Interesting this bit hidden at the bottom of a BBC article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53350174 - at least it will be consistent

Fifa takes over VAR management

The Premier League will have to follow Fifa guidelines regarding the use of the video assistant referee after the world governing body confirmed it was taking over management of its implementation.

The pre-planned move comes at the end of a four-year process during which Fifa worked with the International Football Association Board around VAR, which is now used in more than 100 countries.

Although Fifa has declared VAR to be "a universal success", there has been confusion in the Premier League around such issues as use of the pitchside monitors. Mike Riley - general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the referees' body - limited the use of monitors to avoid slowing the game down.

This went against the general guidance and the anticipation is Fifa will expect this to be used more extensively.

In addition, rules around handball, offside and goalkeepers standing on their lines for penalties will all be dealt with through Fifa.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6564 on: July 9, 2020, 11:28:08 pm »
Another pathetic mistake by the VAR officials for the United penalty. Apparently they've now admitted they got it wrong. Fat lot of help that is for Aston Villa

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6565 on: July 9, 2020, 11:30:01 pm »
Another pathetic mistake by the VAR officials for the United penalty. Apparently they've now admitted they got it wrong. Fat lot of help that is for Aston Villa

Where did they say that?

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
« Reply #6566 on: July 9, 2020, 11:44:40 pm »
The parallels from today to this challenge are astounding. Especially considering its our old pal Jonathan as referee again.
https://streamable.com/6glo1f

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6568 on: July 9, 2020, 11:47:15 pm »
Ain't no fucking wonder why FIFA said (enough is enough, Mike Fucking Riley,) we take over!

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6569 on: July 9, 2020, 11:55:45 pm »
So they’ve admitted they got the penalty decisions wrong in all three games today.

Absolutely shambolic.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #6570 on: July 10, 2020, 12:25:05 am »
Who could have foreseen that the most incompetent referee - some might say incompetent to a degree that in other countries would be called corrupt - would prove to be utterly inept in implementing the VAR review?

Fuck off Mike Riley, you fucking toad. And when you've finished fucking off, fuck off some more.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6571 on: July 10, 2020, 12:42:21 am »
Ain't no fucking wonder why FIFA said (enough is enough, Mike Fucking Riley,) we take over!

Probably the worst VAR decision to go against us all season came in one of the two FIFA run games we played.

Also, this was preplanned - there's no suggestion FIFA think Mike Riley has done a bad job. Quite the opposite, FIFA think the implementation around the world has been "a universal success"

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6572 on: July 10, 2020, 12:48:59 am »
Probably the worst VAR decision to go against us all season came in one of the two FIFA run games we played.

Also, this was preplanned - there's no suggestion FIFA think Mike Riley has done a bad job. Quite the opposite, FIFA think the implementation around the world has been "a universal success"
Agree on both counts. But one decision against us does not make it a chronic problem. IMHO, VAR has been implemented better than in the PL in any other competition bar the last Women's WC. The VAR implementation in England was, and still is, a joke. As if the referees themselves do not want it to survive the tests of time.

Yeah, I know that the decision was probably planned for some time, but I just can't stand the fucking bold twat.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6573 on: July 10, 2020, 12:49:51 am »
It’s not the system it’s the idiots sat at the monitors making the decisions. The on field ref needs to make the final call, go and review the incident for themselves. The Burnely defender that stooded Bowen in the knee got a yellow card whereas Nketiah had his reviewed and eventually got a red, both red worthy challenges. Van Dijk wrestled by Cahill gets ignored but UTD getting such soft penalties. Harry Kane today compared to the one Pogba got the other day against Spurs I think it was. It’s a joke and twats like Martin Tyler dont help when they accuse Salah of going down easy and having a reputation for it. In the social media era hopefully us fans can call out these incorrect narratives that they constantly want to push.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6574 on: July 10, 2020, 12:54:05 am »
It’s not the system it’s the idiots sat at the monitors making the decisions.

The system is literally to involve more of 'the idiots'. Obviously they regularly create the same arguable subjective calls that they do when on the pitch.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6575 on: July 10, 2020, 12:55:23 am »
The system is literally to involve more of 'the idiots'. Obviously they regularly create the same arguable subjective calls that they do when on the pitch.

It will finally make the buck stop with the twat in the middle,the end of this clear and obvious mistake shite.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6576 on: July 10, 2020, 01:06:13 am »
It will finally make the buck stop with the twat in the middle,the end of this clear and obvious mistake shite.
Yep and i would have them mic’d up so everyone can hear the conversations as they do in rugby. They get away with so many shit calls, it’s about time they did something to sort it.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6577 on: July 10, 2020, 01:06:58 am »
The sooner the VAR clowns can admit that referees sometimes make really bad calls, the better.  Stop protecting your mates because it just makes you all look stupider in the long run.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6578 on: July 10, 2020, 01:55:44 am »
Yep and i would have them mic’d up so everyone can hear the conversations as they do in rugby. They get away with so many shit calls, it’s about time they did something to sort it.

Definitely and any ref that is against that needs telling he needs to find another job.

Evolve or fuck off.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #6579 on: July 10, 2020, 01:58:29 am »
VAR was brought in to improve the calls and get them right. To improve the integrity of the game and correct "clear and obvious" mistakes.

So far so good.... :lmao
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6580 on: July 10, 2020, 04:56:48 am »
I feel like they do it to give people something to talk/debate about. Referees have never been held accountable and one bad word against them results in a fine so they're laughing anyway

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6581 on: July 10, 2020, 06:07:24 am »
You'd think the clubs at some point would demand more of the officials.  They fund the majority of their salaries would be my guess and in return get a standard of referee that is clearly at a level below Eastern European leagues. What game are they playing at here?  Is it just a retirement job for the good ole boys or what?  It beggers belief.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6582 on: July 10, 2020, 07:06:56 am »
You'd think the clubs at some point would demand more of the officials. 

Well United have certainly demanded more of the Manc ones.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6583 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:50 am »
Well United have certainly demanded more of the Manc ones.
Not really true. They just insisted on unchanged levels of support. ;)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #6584 on: July 10, 2020, 07:32:17 am »

That’s not just ‘going down easily’, it’s deliberate cheating. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6585 on: July 10, 2020, 07:50:56 am »

Didn't Sheffield United had a perfectly good goal against Villa disallowed?

Yeah I think it's crap United get these ridiculous breaks, but it's also karma for Villa too.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6586 on: July 10, 2020, 07:54:32 am »
Something seems a bit off with VAR since the restart. There's not much transparency, if any, as to what exactly is going on.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6587 on: July 10, 2020, 08:01:52 am »
VAR was brought in to improve the calls and get them right. To improve the integrity of the game and correct "clear and obvious" mistakes.

So far so good.... :lmao

You're loving this in a "I told you so, nah nah nah nah nah" way aren't you?

What it all highlights even more is how fucking useless the Premier League referees are and that the Manc ones are straight up fucking cheats. We do need VAR, we just need competent officials doing it. Hopefully with FIFA taking over from IFAB, something will change. The 20 clubs in the PL (well 19 of them seeing as one gets every fucking bent decision) should be kicking off like fuck at the PL and the FA until they train some competent referees. Its shite what is going on and has to be corrected as soon as possible.

We need ex players being trained as refs. As Tim Cahill said, players know what is going on. They know that if you pull a Maradona and fuck it up, you'll fall. Maybe at full speed it looks like a pen, but when watch the VAR replay, to no-one else except that little gobshite Smaegol and the cheating c*nt in the booth did it look like a pen. My missus wouldn't even celebrate the goal, she was that embarrassed that the pen had been given.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:03:25 am by rob19:6 "And yeah doth the Lord liketh trucking." »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6588 on: July 10, 2020, 08:22:45 am »
It's not like VAR looked at ten angles of Fernandes rolling about and said ' Yep, definite penalty that'.
The reason they made the call is that they've been internally instructed NOT to overrule referees on big calls.
This is the rule that preceeds any football rules, enforced by Mike Riley and his parasitic gang of glass-chins.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6589 on: July 10, 2020, 08:29:20 am »
It's not like VAR looked at ten angles of Fernandes rolling about and said ' Yep, definite penalty that'.
The reason they made the call is that they've been internally instructed NOT to overrule referees on big calls.
This is the rule that preceeds any football rules, enforced by Mike Riley and his parasitic gang of glass-chins.

What in heavens name is a glass chin (I thought it was a boxer who couldn't take a lunch to the face).

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #6590 on: July 10, 2020, 09:27:35 am »

That's really awful.

It defeats the purpose of having VAR and putting more referees and technicians on the payroll in their lovely VAR cabin.

No system is fool-proof and I can understand if you get 3/10,000 decisions wrong. But to get 3 big decisions wrong in 3 days is unforgivable and it smacks of deep rooted political problems within football.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6591 on: July 10, 2020, 09:30:29 am »
The refs can't wait to give utd a penalty. They always seem to get the pens when it's 0-0 too.

The amount of pens they have had this season it has to be more than chance.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6592 on: July 10, 2020, 09:56:18 am »
There's literally no justification for keeping VAR now.  It's making the games worse with constant delays and we're now actively making decisions worse.  Offsides are wrong because the margin for error is so big, the handball rule has been fucked up to accomodate VAR, and we're now in the stupid no man's land where referees don't make calls because they think VAR will dig them out, but VAR won't overrule unless it's clear and obvious.

It should be binned off until it works properly.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6593 on: July 10, 2020, 10:04:51 am »
What in heavens name is a glass chin (I thought it was a boxer who couldn't take a lunch to the face).
Or an organisation that can’t take any criticism.

But really, why are they so insulated when so much depends on their work? Why are managers immediately punished for speaking out? Most of all why the fuck aren’t they usng the tech to help themselves?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6594 on: July 10, 2020, 10:04:58 am »
There's literally no justification for keeping VAR now.  It's making the games worse with constant delays and we're now actively making decisions worse.  Offsides are wrong because the margin for error is so big, the handball rule has been fucked up to accomodate VAR, and we're now in the stupid no man's land where referees don't make calls because they think VAR will dig them out, but VAR won't overrule unless it's clear and obvious.

It's weak leadership and poor execution.
Giving the ref a way of looking at a decision again is all that's needed with a back up advising him to look again if he's missed something.
That they're so hung up about the whole business of "overruling" tells you everything you need to know about the mentality of the people making the decisions. If the objective was to get more big decisions right no one should give a shit about overruling or being overruled, especially as most sensible people realise how difficult the job is to start with.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6595 on: July 10, 2020, 10:11:52 am »
It's weak leadership and poor execution.
Giving the ref a way of looking at a decision again is all that's needed with a back up advising him to look again if he's missed something.
That they're so hung up about the whole business of "overruling" tells you everything you need to know about the mentality of the people making the decisions. If the objective was to get more big decisions right no one should give a shit about overruling or being overruled, especially as most sensible people realise how difficult the job is to start with.

It's not all in the execution though.  The whole issue of pretending there is an objective truth to a subjective set of laws is an inherent problem with VAR.  If the execution was perfect you would still have that problem.

This is why they make fudges like the new handball law to make it easier for VAR to come to a decision.  It's shite.  And we need to stop pretending that VAR is getting offside calls right when it isn't.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6596 on: July 10, 2020, 10:14:37 am »

There is nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, its the awful implementation that is the issue. In fact, since it has been in use, it has been proven that is an excellent tool for the officials, they can and should be overturning incorrect decisions, its just that the way that Riley wants it using is a joke.

Looking at the Mancs penalty, correct VAR use checks that and between the Ref in the hub and Moss, they should have been able to give a foul to Villa and book Fernandes for cheating, it was clear as day on screen what had happened.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6597 on: July 10, 2020, 10:27:56 am »
There is nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, its the awful implementation that is the issue. In fact, since it has been in use, it has been proven that is an excellent tool for the officials, they can and should be overturning incorrect decisions, its just that the way that Riley wants it using is a joke.

Looking at the Mancs penalty, correct VAR use checks that and between the Ref in the hub and Moss, they should have been able to give a foul to Villa and book Fernandes for cheating, it was clear as day on screen what had happened.

If VAR only works with competent officials, then it is pointless.  The whole point of bringing in VAR was that the officials were shit.  Now when it doesn't work, it is the official's fault :butt

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6598 on: July 10, 2020, 10:28:40 am »
Most of all why the fuck aren’t they usng the tech to help themselves?

Mike Riley will tell you this is what they're doing because VAR is actually showing how good these referee's are because they aren't overruling their decisions. Which is the exact opposite of what is actually happen but those who saw Mike Riley referee know this anyway.

I said at the start of the season that they will only use VAR to back up the referees rather than change their mistakes just as a way to say how incredible they are.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #6599 on: July 10, 2020, 10:33:44 am »

Imagine the fume if it was binned off after the one season in which we won the league. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."