Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4129691 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #58640 on: November 24, 2018, 08:34:58 am »
The guy is a criminal lowlife tbf, probably why he isn't everyone's cup of tea. He gauged out a man's eye.

It's funny that he has gone from wilder not being able to beat him to getting the excuses in early.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58641 on: November 24, 2018, 08:45:58 am »
I saw pictures of Fury a week ago, he is in by far and away in the best shape of his career. There is even a hint of a 6-pack  :o

He is definitely taking this seriously and I think he believes he will win. The trouble is, Wilder is a puzzle. He is about as unorthodox as you can get; I doubt he even knows what he is doing half the time! For however long the fight lasts, I think Fury will outbox and generally flummox and frustrate him. However, I can't see Wilder not landing one of his bombs during a 12 round fight. Wlad was bizarrely gunshy, Wilder doesnt have that problem. He will throw with bad intentions all night and one expects him to find the big shot so Wilder KO is by far the most likely outcome.

The only outcomes that would shock me is a Fury early KO or Wilder on points. Option A is possible if Fury times one right and catches Wilder with one he doesnt see.

If you're right about Fury's condition, then you've basically laid out my prediction, if not I'm with Clayton.

There's a few wildcards in this though, like I'm not sure about the new trainer or having 3 voices in his corner on the night. I thought Peter Fury was a big part of that Dusseldorf win.

The biggest wildcard though is Wilder himself, because we still don't know if he's any good. 40 odd fights and he's pretty much had his own way in all of them because they're all against Latvians. There's no benchmark to compare Fury against.

Plus, whenever an untested fighter is described as 'unorthodox' I get a feeling that's code for 'can't box'.  There's still every chance Wilder is a massive hype job.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58642 on: November 24, 2018, 08:56:35 am »
The guy is a criminal lowlife tbf, probably why he isn't everyone's cup of tea. He gauged out a man's eye.

It's funny that he has gone from wilder not being able to beat him to getting the excuses in early.

I don't think he's getting his excuses in early. He came across as being very honest in his assessment imo. He still thinks Fury will win but would have preferred him to have had a few more fights before taking this one, which is completely reasonable.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58643 on: November 24, 2018, 09:11:55 am »
This is a cashout from Fury clearly. He could have fought a much better style of opponent in August if he truly believed he could win this but he just played it safe.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #58644 on: November 24, 2018, 09:41:57 am »
If you're right about Fury's condition, then you've basically laid out my prediction, if not I'm with Clayton.

There's a few wildcards in this though, like I'm not sure about the new trainer or having 3 voices in his corner on the night. I thought Peter Fury was a big part of that Dusseldorf win.

The biggest wildcard though is Wilder himself, because we still don't know if he's any good. 40 odd fights and he's pretty much had his own way in all of them because they're all against Latvians. There's no benchmark to compare Fury against.

Plus, whenever an untested fighter is described as 'unorthodox' I get a feeling that's code for 'can't box'.  There's still every chance Wilder is a massive hype job.
Even though Ortiz is 74 years old, it was a good win by Wilder. He was in dire straits in that fight, and I think a real hype job like Michael Grant would have fallen apart. Ortiz is the only real 'name' on his record though.

I think Fury is also a wildcard! Aside from Wlad, which was a great win, his record is pretty sparse. His next best wins are against Chisora and Del Boy wasnt arsed in their second fight.

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58645 on: November 27, 2018, 11:28:40 am »
I think Wilder stops him late. Can see Fury boxing really well and possibly getting his nose ahead on points.. but that tank will run empty in the mid to late rounds and that’s when I can see Wilder stopping him.

Any real reason as to why Tyson split from Peter? I like Peter Fury and enjoy listening to him speak but it’s odd that he’s never now questioned about Tyson and doesn’t mention him himself anymore.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58646 on: November 27, 2018, 05:38:10 pm »
I think Wilder stops him late. Can see Fury boxing really well and possibly getting his nose ahead on points.. but that tank will run empty in the mid to late rounds and that’s when I can see Wilder stopping him.

Any real reason as to why Tyson split from Peter? I like Peter Fury and enjoy listening to him speak but it’s odd that he’s never now questioned about Tyson and doesn’t mention him himself anymore.

I think if it goes late it's going to be Wilder that will be gassed. It's a 2 stone minimum weight difference and Fury won't be afraid to use it. Trying to push that around the ring for 12 rounds will take it's toll.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58647 on: November 27, 2018, 06:27:51 pm »
Wilder within 4

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58648 on: November 27, 2018, 06:41:34 pm »
Wilder within 4
That's a bold prediction mate since the only opponent Wilder has KO'd within that timeframe since 2014 was Stiverne who looked as if he had waddled into the ring straight from a buffet which also involved drinking a pint of rum.

Wilder has power but dismal accuracy. It took him 9 rounds to dispose of Molina who hurt him badly in the fight. It took him 8 rounds to stop Chris Areola who defends with his face, 9 rounds to KO Szpilka, and 11 rounds to KO Duhaupas. He had power but I can see him missing pretty horribly with some shots in the fight. If he gets a stoppage it will likely be in the second half of the fight.

I suspect Wilder will catch Fury at some point and get a stoppage but remember, Wilder is rather light for his height and Fury will be leaning in on him and hugging him. Wilder doesnt have much of an inside game from what I can see and Fury could have some joy at close quarters.

I actually said in the group with the lads that Fury could be the one to get a KO. It is not outrageous to suggest that Wilder misses a punch by miles and is met with a perfect counter punch. Fury isnt a big hitter but a clean shot on the chin from a man his size will hurt Wilder who is far from being bulletproof.

So yeah, probably Wilder via late stoppage but I'm really not sure. Will Fury be able to bamboozle Wilder for long enough to make the champion get frustrated? Or is everything a mirage? Are you right Clayton, is it a cashout? We'll see soon enough!

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #58649 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:06 pm »
If this fight was 3 years ago it wouldn't even be a discussion. I guess we'll know more after a round or 2 but I'm going for Fury on points. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #58650 on: November 27, 2018, 07:18:17 pm »
Fury on points.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58651 on: November 28, 2018, 11:06:19 am »
Days away and it still looks like they're struggling to sell tickets.

They are having to give what looks like 100's to Los Angeles Firefighters.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/J02F81vnKpk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/J02F81vnKpk</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58652 on: November 28, 2018, 11:15:56 am »
It's not great but as long as fight happens that is all that matters to me

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #58653 on: November 28, 2018, 11:56:55 am »
Should be interesting, but I'd honestly love Fury to get floored in about 3
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58654 on: November 28, 2018, 01:10:48 pm »
Don't know why they didn't do it in Vegas or NY where they actually have boxing fans. When's the last time LA had a boxing event, Mosley v Margarito?

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58655 on: November 28, 2018, 05:31:01 pm »
Don't know why they didn't do it in Vegas or NY where they actually have boxing fans. When's the last time LA had a boxing event, Mosley v Margarito?
Wilder could have bit the bullet and had it in the UK. Loads of suitable venues and tickets would sell very quickly.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #58656 on: November 30, 2018, 12:44:44 pm »
Looks like the entire top tier of the arena will be tarped off and hidden from the cameras.

Fair play to both of them trying to hype up this piece of shit fight. £19.95? fuck off.

Talking about scrapping the weigh in face-off as it 'kicked off' yesterday at the pre-pre fight press conference.

Really hope that Wilder wins because I dont want to see the rematch if Fury manages to win. Lets get Wilder vs AJ for all the apples. Then let Whyte, Chisora, Wilder and Fury spend 2019 deciding who gets next go.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58657 on: November 30, 2018, 12:45:51 pm »
The only winner from all this is AJ and Eddie Hearn.

Willing to bet good money of Hearn being the guy leaking the Klitschko rumours.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58658 on: November 30, 2018, 12:47:45 pm »
So this is gonna be roughly what, 5am UK time?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #58659 on: November 30, 2018, 12:49:49 pm »
So this is gonna be roughly what, 5am UK time?

Yeah :D

Thought it was like 11PM/midnight sort of time, fuck staying up or getting up then to watch that.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58660 on: November 30, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
Looks like the entire top tier of the arena will be tarped off and hidden from the cameras.

Fair play to both of them trying to hype up this piece of shit fight. £19.95? fuck off.

Talking about scrapping the weigh in face-off as it 'kicked off' yesterday at the pre-pre fight press conference.

Really hope that Wilder wins because I dont want to see the rematch if Fury manages to win. Lets get Wilder vs AJ for all the apples. Then let Whyte, Chisora, Wilder and Fury spend 2019 deciding who gets next go.

Not sure how it's a piece of shit fight, though yes PPV here at 4am - 5am time is a fucking disgrace unless the circumstances are exceptional.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58661 on: November 30, 2018, 12:53:33 pm »
Fucking timezones. Cannot be arsed with that. A top event UFC event or the F1 maybe gets me up at that time but not a chance I watch this

I dont even know what the undercard to this even is. Anything worth staying up for?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58662 on: November 30, 2018, 01:05:02 pm »
Not sure how it's a piece of shit fight

A guy who no one outside of boxing knows who has managed to luck into a world championship who has never really been tested at the highest level and has been ducking AJ for years so he can hold onto his belt. Promoted by idiots that have no idea how to do deals.

vs a guy that has had 3 years out following a drugs ban and has only fought 2 bums in his comeback and is represented by Frank Warren

All on PPV at 5am at a non-sold out arena

It's a piece of shit fight where there are no winners (except Eddie Hearn and AJ who can enjoy Christmas and wait on the outcome of this and the Chisora/Whyte fight). From a boxing purist perspective there is nothing to this and to a boxing fair weather fan there is nothing.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58663 on: November 30, 2018, 01:09:39 pm »
Nah, that's a load of drivel, sorry. I'm not high on Wilder and of course we don't do the damage Fury has done to his body after all the abuse but a piece of shit fight it certainly isn't.

The no winners line is even stranger, bizarre comment.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #58664 on: November 30, 2018, 01:24:42 pm »
Nah, that's a load of drivel, sorry. I'm not high on Wilder and of course we don't do the damage Fury has done to his body after all the abuse but a piece of shit fight it certainly isn't.

The no winners line is even stranger, bizarre comment.

Apart from Wilder AJ or Fury AJ it's the biggest fight that can be made in the division at the moment?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58665 on: November 30, 2018, 01:40:23 pm »
I dont even know what the undercard to this even is. Anything worth staying up for?

Adonis Stevenson (c) vs. Oleksandr Gvozdyk (light heavy title)
Joe Joyce vs. Joe Hanks
Luis Ortiz vs. Travis Kauffman
Jarrett Hurd vs. Jason Wellborn
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58666 on: November 30, 2018, 01:41:47 pm »
Apart from Wilder AJ or Fury AJ it's the biggest fight that can be made in the division at the moment?

It’s up there, top 5/10. Think Joshua-Whyte does a lot more buys and sells out.

Any idea what time we can expect the weigh in?

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58667 on: November 30, 2018, 01:59:23 pm »
Has a draw written all over this. 25/1 last I looked
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #58668 on: November 30, 2018, 02:01:03 pm »
It’s up there, top 5/10. Think Joshua-Whyte does a lot more buys and sells out.

Any idea what time we can expect the weigh in?

Would agree with Joshua-Whyte doing more buys and selling out, I'm actually a fan of Whyte but I still think AJ and the other two are at the top of the pile for now.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58669 on: November 30, 2018, 02:04:33 pm »
A guy who no one outside of boxing knows who has managed to luck into a world championship who has never really been tested at the highest level and has been ducking AJ for years so he can hold onto his belt. Promoted by idiots that have no idea how to do deals.

vs a guy that has had 3 years out following a drugs ban and has only fought 2 bums in his comeback and is represented by Frank Warren

All on PPV at 5am at a non-sold out arena

It's a piece of shit fight where there are no winners (except Eddie Hearn and AJ who can enjoy Christmas and wait on the outcome of this and the Chisora/Whyte fight). From a boxing purist perspective there is nothing to this and to a boxing fair weather fan there is nothing.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58670 on: November 30, 2018, 02:08:19 pm »
This is an amazing fight between two undefeated fighters, champion v former champion, power v skill. Will be the first PPV in ages that I have bought as I cant be dealing with choppy streams for this one. I could care less how many tickets they've sold. Am I getting dividends?

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #58671 on: November 30, 2018, 02:49:15 pm »
Crolla to take on Lomachenko  :lmao

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58672 on: November 30, 2018, 02:50:47 pm »
I think this will be a good fight and I'd be all over it usually, but 5am + £20ppv is a pisstake. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to try and wake up for it. I love Fury, which seems to be a rare opinion on here, think he's great entertainment  :D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58673 on: November 30, 2018, 02:51:25 pm »

It will be horrific for as long as it lasts. Crolla doesnt even have a punchers chance

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58674 on: November 30, 2018, 02:57:29 pm »
Fury is boring as fuck to watch and the other fella is a somewhat unknown to me but at least looks like he tries to actually hit his opponent as opposed to leaning on him and the occasional half arse punch, not a chance I'll be staying up for this. I think this fight shows how shit the HW division is and has been since Klitschkos dominated and pretty much bored us to death. Some people must have more money than sense to actually stay up for this and secondly spend actual money on it, nowt strange as folk.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #58675 on: November 30, 2018, 03:14:40 pm »
It will be horrific for as long as it lasts. Crolla doesnt even have a punchers chance

Yep he has no business being in there, going to get torn apart.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58676 on: November 30, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »
Loma still has Pedraza to get past, but if he does, hope Crolla gets paid at least his nickname cos he would have earned it

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #58677 on: November 30, 2018, 07:05:51 pm »
Fury is boring as fuck to watch and the other fella is a somewhat unknown to me but at least looks like he tries to actually hit his opponent as opposed to leaning on him and the occasional half arse punch, not a chance I'll be staying up for this. I think this fight shows how shit the HW division is and has been since Klitschkos dominated and pretty much bored us to death. Some people must have more money than sense to actually stay up for this and secondly spend actual money on it, nowt strange as folk.

Yes. Can't hold a candle to previous fighters - Ali, Holyfield, Lewis and Tyson. They must be thinking what a sad state of affairs in heavy weight titles.

That said, I will still be going to a pub to watch it rather than pay 20 quid to watch it from home.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58678 on: November 30, 2018, 07:06:19 pm »
This is an amazing fight between two undefeated fighters, champion v former champion, power v skill. Will be the first PPV in ages that I have bought as I cant be dealing with choppy streams for this one. I could care less how many tickets they've sold. Am I getting dividends?

It's definitely a 'big' fight, but can't see it being a good fight. There will be loads in here moaning and saying the division is shit etc. on Sunday morning. I've got to travel up for the derby so not sure if/when I'll get to watch.

Dear God. He's got about as much chance as I would have.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58679 on: November 30, 2018, 07:09:48 pm »
There will be loads in here moaning and saying the division is shit etc. on Sunday morning.

Yes. Can't hold a candle to previous fighters - Ali, Holyfield, Lewis and Tyson. They must be thinking what a sad state of affairs in heavy weight titles.

That said, I will still be going to a pub to watch it rather than pay 20 quid to watch it from home.

Beat me to it! Someone name checking Ali, Lewis and Tyson already, must be big fight weekend ;D