Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12265150 times)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #84600 on: October 1, 2015, 10:13:43 pm »
Very good. Did everything well that Lucas does well in that role. Made about 7 or 8+ interceptions I believe.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84601 on: October 1, 2015, 10:27:31 pm »
Rossiter tho

Our best performer. Did his job, and worked well with Allen.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84602 on: October 1, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »
Rossiter was boss tonight, did his job very well, used the ball well and prevented any threat down his side.

Shame he wont get much praise due to the result and the fact he only hit like two 50 yard passes and didn't score a worldy.

The comparisons to Gerrard aren't gonna help him at all, very different style and people expect so much of him

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #84603 on: October 1, 2015, 10:34:47 pm »
The Gerrard comparisons are weird, even weirder are the people who feel the need to caveat any praise for him with 'he'll never be Gerrard' even when nobody's suggesting that he will.

Offline SE20

• Kemlynite
« Reply #84604 on: October 1, 2015, 10:36:36 pm »
I sometimes wonder if he gets compared to SG simply because he's a midfielder and looks a bit like SG did back when he was the same age.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84605 on: October 1, 2015, 10:37:18 pm »
The Gerrard comparisons are weird, even weirder are the people who feel the need to caveat any praise for him with 'he'll never be Gerrard' even when nobody's suggesting that he will.

There's been lots of comparisons. I think in both Europa games he was compared to him.

It stems from when he was 16 level as he wasn't a lot smaller than the players around him, he did play a similar style to Gerrard did. Unfortunately, he never got the growth spurt Gerrard did so he's had to adapt his game to play a position that'll suit his physique better. And he's done very well adjusting.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84606 on: October 1, 2015, 10:39:39 pm »
Rossiter is Hamann

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84607 on: October 1, 2015, 10:40:45 pm »
Rossiter is Hamann

Will need to hit some serious ale to get those comparisons.  ;D

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #84608 on: October 1, 2015, 10:43:12 pm »
There's been lots of comparisons. I think in both Europa games he was compared to him.

It stems from when he was 16 level as he wasn't a lot smaller than the players around him, he did play a similar style to Gerrard did. Unfortunately, he never got the growth spurt Gerrard did so he's had to adapt his game to play a position that'll suit his physique better. And he's done very well adjusting.
I know there have been comparisons, I was talking about others who can't seem to praise him without clarifying that they're not saying he's Gerrard. But as a scouse midfielder it's obvious he's going to get that comparison, as well as less favourable ones such as Spearing, even when he plays like neither of them.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84609 on: October 1, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »
I sometimes wonder if he gets compared to SG simply because he's a midfielder and looks a bit like SG did back when he was the same age.
I don't think Robbie Fowler helped things with his tweet on his debut? saying he is a potential next Stevie G.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84610 on: October 1, 2015, 11:01:21 pm »
Just catching up with the England squad today and I see Dele Alli has been called up. Only about 4 league games for spurs but still so deserved. He has been excellent this season going all the way back to pre sesson. He is going to be a monster of a player.

The rumours are that we passed up on is when he was available last transfer window. Crazy if true he looks like/he is he is going all the way to the top and quickly too.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84611 on: October 1, 2015, 11:05:57 pm »
Just catching up with the England squad today and I see Dele Alli has been called up. Only about 4 league games for spurs but still so deserved. He has been excellent this season going all the way back to pre sesson. He is going to be a monster of a player.

The rumours are that we passed up on is when he was available last transfer window. Crazy if true he looks like/he is he is going all the way to the top and quickly too.
There's plenty young English midfielders coming through though. Imagine there'll be the same talk about Lewis Cook this time next year and then there'll be others, hopefully Rossiter included. It was hardly top of our priorities to get in a young centre mid.

Gerrard/Rossiter comparsionis almost as bad as Chirivella/Alonso.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 11:07:30 pm by Chris~ »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84612 on: October 1, 2015, 11:06:31 pm »
Whoscored has Rossiter down as our best player tonight with a 7.66 rating, followed by Gomez on 7.48.

Rossiter had 3 tackles, 5 interceptions, and a 90% pass %. Not bad for a kid.

Also liked what I saw from Origi apart from his finishing.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84613 on: October 1, 2015, 11:28:58 pm »
There's plenty young English midfielders coming through though. Imagine there'll be the same talk about Lewis Cook this time next year and then there'll be others, hopefully Rossiter included. It was hardly top of our priorities to get in a young centre mid.

Gerrard/Rossiter comparsionis almost as bad as Chirivella/Alonso.
Good shout on the chirivella/alonso comparison.
Ya Lewis Cook is quality also Crowley another. I think cook and Ali are both different players to rossiter though. More eye catching for the average fan as from what I have seen they are creative and like to and can attack rossiter plays a simpler game and his pace means he has to stay deeper. That's why I don't think rossiter will get the deserved hype.

We could have said we didn't need a cb also when we signed gomez. But when an opportunity presents itself you need to take advantage and we did in that scenario. Cook I imagine will go for alot more than both when he moves on from Leeds.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 11:33:55 pm by dakid »

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84614 on: October 1, 2015, 11:31:32 pm »
Whoscored has Rossiter down as our best player tonight with a 7.66 rating, followed by Gomez on 7.48.

Rossiter had 3 tackles, 5 interceptions, and a 90% pass %. Not bad for a kid.

Also liked what I saw from Origi apart from his finishing.
Origi has all the makings of a top footballer if he can get his finishing right.
But this was being said two years ago when he was playing at the world cup.
Still he has time on his side and with coaching and confidence he should be great for us.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84615 on: October 1, 2015, 11:36:24 pm »
Origi has all the makings of a top footballer if he can get his finishing right.
Still he has time on his side and with coaching and confidence he should be great for us.

The world cup was last year to be fair to him, since then he has been at Lille on loan and i doubt he will have developed much there

Agree with your first and third lines though

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84616 on: October 1, 2015, 11:42:19 pm »
I know there have been comparisons, I was talking about others who can't seem to praise him without clarifying that they're not saying he's Gerrard. But as a scouse midfielder it's obvious he's going to get that comparison, as well as less favourable ones such as Spearing, even when he plays like neither of them.

He's the new Lucas. :P

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84617 on: October 1, 2015, 11:43:48 pm »

He might need regular games at a good club in the Prem to find his finishing touch.  Someone who'll allow him to make these runs and give him chances to finish. Someone like Palace? They love pace up top. But I'd like him here for the season to give him some proper coaching and get him ingrained in to the club.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84618 on: October 1, 2015, 11:47:06 pm »
The world cup was last year to be fair to him, since then he has been at Lille on loan and i doubt he will have developed much there

Agree with your first and third lines though
Fair enough hard to agree with me when I was factually incorrect I suppose! Just hoping he's not another wellbeck really as I like everything else I have seen from him. Especially in Belgium friendlies.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84619 on: October 1, 2015, 11:51:54 pm »

Yeah, three top young English talents moved this year. One signed for us (Gomez) the others (Alli and Roberts) played in positions where we already have some very good in-house talent to bring through. Even though I think Alli and Rossiter could be a complimentary midfield in future at this moment in time they would be in direct competition for minutes and Alli (who is a year older) would probably have ended up stifling Rossiter's development.

The annoying thing is that on top of their obvious talents Roberts and Alli are both Liverpool fans who are now playing for our rivals.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84620 on: October 2, 2015, 11:42:15 am »
Good shout on the chirivella/alonso comparison.
Ya Lewis Cook is quality also Crowley another. I think cook and Ali are both different players to rossiter though. More eye catching for the average fan as from what I have seen they are creative and like to and can attack rossiter plays a simpler game and his pace means he has to stay deeper. That's why I don't think rossiter will get the deserved hype.

We could have said we didn't need a cb also when we signed gomez. But when an opportunity presents itself you need to take advantage and we did in that scenario. Cook I imagine will go for alot more than both when he moves on from Leeds.
Cook will only have a year left on his contract next summer, if he does sign another you'd imagine there would be some sort of buyout clause in it as well.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #84621 on: October 2, 2015, 11:46:18 am »
What's happening with Teixeira? Disappointing that he's not featured in any cup games yet this season, even on the bench.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84622 on: October 2, 2015, 01:51:01 pm »
What's happening with Teixeira? Disappointing that he's not featured in any cup games yet this season, even on the bench.

Contract runs out at the end of the season and no sign of him signing an extension so he’s probably being isolated like Smith. Sure he would have featured in the League Cup otherwise. He’s not eligible for the Europa League.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84623 on: October 2, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »
Contract runs out at the end of the season and no sign of him signing an extension so he’s probably being isolated like Smith. Sure he would have featured in the League Cup otherwise. He’s not eligible for the Europa League.

What you mean to say is you don't know why he hasn't featured and you don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Maybe Rodgers sees him in the same position as Coutinho and at the moment would rather play Coutinho...
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84624 on: October 2, 2015, 03:49:04 pm »
He's also got Firmino and Lallana ahead of him then a whole bunch of others, including much younger players, for the deeper midfield positions.

At this point he probably hasn't got much of a future here, even taking in to account the time missed for his injuries he should be closer to getting first team minutes. He's older now than Coutinho and Markovic were when they joined and you saw the impact they needed to make to get continued minutes.

He should have left in the summer if he wasn't/isn't going to sign a contract.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2015, 03:50:57 pm by Chris~ »

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84625 on: October 2, 2015, 03:54:57 pm »
What you mean to say is you don't know why he hasn't featured and you don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Maybe Rodgers sees him in the same position as Coutinho and at the moment would rather play Coutinho...

The fact I said "probably" clearly indicates I don't know why and am just speculating.

I wouldn't expect him to play ahead of Coutinho and when you look at the detail in terms of who you can register you can sort of understand why he didn't make the Europa League squad. But the fact that he didn't even make the bench against Carlisle ahead of Brannagan has to be a worry. Playing in the U21 is pointless after the progression he made on loan last year.

End of the day if he signs a contract he is an asset the club can sell and if he doesn't he'll walk away for free in the summer.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84626 on: October 2, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »
On a related matter, good to see that Brad Smith is training with Rosenborg in Norway. Bit out of the blue but hope it works out for him and he gets offered a contract.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84627 on: October 2, 2015, 04:58:18 pm »
Interesting on Teix from a recent TAW academy pod (sign up if you haven' already).  Tony Barrett seemed to also be wondering why he's not got a chance.  They were saying along the lines of, how can you give a lad a chance as he was given against Fulham in a crucial match, play well, go out on loan and do well then come back and be  frozen out effectively.  It doesn't make sense.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84628 on: October 2, 2015, 05:17:46 pm »
They were saying along the lines of, how can you give a lad a chance as he was given against Fulham in a crucial match, play well, go out on loan and do well then come back and be  frozen out effectively.  It doesn't make sense.

Brad Smith came on to make his debut in a crucial match against Chelsea. We all know how that worked out and why. Suso was always a better prospect than Teix and only made one appearance for us in the League Cup the season where he was running down his contract. Our bench in the Europa League yesterday had no strikers on it, I bet if Jerome Sinclair had signed the new contract we wanted him to sign in the summer he would have been sat on it.

As someone has pointed out above, Tiex is in the last year of his contract. The pattern is quite clear that if a young player isn't willing to commit their future to the club  then the club won't wast any opportunities on them when they could be given to someone else.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84629 on: October 2, 2015, 05:33:00 pm »
Brad Smith came on to make his debut in a crucial match against Chelsea. We all know how that worked out and why. Suso was always a better prospect than Teix and only made one appearance for us in the League Cup the season where he was running down his contract. Our bench in the Europa League yesterday had no strikers on it, I bet if Jerome Sinclair had signed the new contract we wanted him to sign in the summer he would have been sat on it.

As someone has pointed out above, Tiex is in the last year of his contract. The pattern is quite clear that if a young player isn't willing to commit their future to the club  then the club won't wast any opportunities on them when they could be given to someone else.
Makes sense, but what incentive does a player like Teixeira have in signing a contract extension (if one has indeed been offered which I'm not sure is the case)?

If Teixeira extends his contract he has no guarantee of playing time and might well go the way Wisdom seems to be going, i.e. a perennial loannee. Teixeira has done everything that could be expected of him (impress in his chance vs Fulham, impress on loan, impress in preseason) yet he still isn't seeing any action. Why would a player in his position want to commit their future to a club that never gives them a shot despite the fact that he's done everything asked?

Makes more sense to run his contract down and sign with a club where he'll get ample gametime. I'm sure there's quite a few Championship clubs eager to sign him at the very least, where he'd be highly likely to get the gametime he needs to develop. Probably several clubs in the PL and abroad too one would think.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84630 on: October 2, 2015, 06:02:05 pm »
Interesting on Teix from a recent TAW academy pod (sign up if you haven' already).  Tony Barrett seemed to also be wondering why he's not got a chance.  They were saying along the lines of, how can you give a lad a chance as he was given against Fulham in a crucial match, play well, go out on loan and do well then come back and be  frozen out effectively.  It doesn't make sense.
Heard that one on the academy. Interesting to hear Barrett say basically out of that bunch Kent has the best chance. And the presenter said his mate played vs Kent on loan and he was very good. Disappointed to hear Wilson is still on the bench. His team are bottom of the table now so it's gonna be tough.

Interesting to hear on the pink none of them have much interest in rossiter and compared him to spearing. I thought he had a very good game and kept it simple as he always does and looked for the ball. Just ticks things over. They need to consider what type of player he is its around his third game and has been impressive in all at what he does. However some people only like a player if he's scoring goals and attacking.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84631 on: October 2, 2015, 06:17:20 pm »
Heard that one on the academy. Interesting to hear Barrett say basically out of that bunch Kent has the best chance. And the presenter said his mate played vs Kent on loan and he was very good. Disappointed to hear Wilson is still on the bench. His team are bottom of the table now so it's gonna be tough.

Interesting to hear on the pink none of them have much interest in rossiter and compared him to spearing. I thought he had a very good game and kept it simple as he always does and looked for the ball. Just ticks things over. They need to consider what type of player he is its around his third game and has been impressive in all at what he does. However some people only like a player if he's scoring goals and attacking.

The argument has always been that we don't need players that simply 'tick things over' because at this level of the game, and the wages our first teamers are on, they should be able to do that in their sleep. the point with players like Spearing, Allen etc. is that they ONLY 'tick it over'. In that sense, if they were replaced by someone else, we wouldn't notice any difference and thus their impact on the team overall is minimal. We need players who make big impact in games. This impact doesn't have to be all scoring goals and assists. It can be other things like winning all 50-50s, or winning all aerial duels in the middle, or being a danger from set pieces and corners etc. But players like Spearing, Allen, Downing, Borini and many others, to this point anyway, haven't got that extra string to their bow. Lallana is heading down that road too.

I think its far to early to make a call on Rossiter. The lad has played 3 games at the top level. To try and criticise him as just ticking things over is beyond stupidity. Of course a young player coming into the team in a European game is going to play somewhat conservatively, especially when the team isn't doing all that well either. The guys on TAW are generally decent but sometimes their opinion is as stupid as anyone's. The fact that they have a podcast show doesn't make their opinion any more educated than anyone else's to be honest.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2015, 06:19:05 pm by mrantarctica »

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84632 on: October 2, 2015, 06:30:48 pm »
Teixeira has done everything that could be expected of him

He has done everything that has been expected of him except sign a new contract and that's quite a big thing. It's the club who have the upper hand and they're not going to make concessions first. They'll presumably have told him he has a future/will be given a chance but only if he signs a new contract. It isn't up to the club to give him any more incentive than that and if he doesn't take what is on offer then it's a season of U21 football for him.
Interesting to hear Barrett say basically out of that bunch Kent has the best chance.

Kent above Ojo?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84633 on: October 2, 2015, 06:40:38 pm »

People complain that we don't control games and then there's people, with some crossover, who complain that our midfielders aren't all action, running up and down and spraying 50+ yard cross field passes to the fullbacks.

Rossiter's clearly doing well for his age and position. He's starting games for us and is a starter for the best European u19 side.

Makes sense, but what incentive does a player like Teixeira have in signing a contract extension (if one has indeed been offered which I'm not sure is the case)?
We'd likely offer a lot more money than anyone else is willing too, chance to break in to our side or his pick of a good loan based off our connections. Similair reason young players sign contract extensions at Chelsea.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84634 on: October 2, 2015, 06:52:41 pm »

I think we've settled on a 3-4-1-2 set up for now. We're seemingly playing our first team with Coutinho in that role, and a sort of 2nd string for European games with Lallana mainly playing that role. Our wretched form means that we're having to bring on Coutinho to try and win games anyway. If we were winning league games, and our European games then I'm pretty sure we'd see Texeira and others get more chances. The reason Rossiter gets a chance in midfield is because Hendo is out, Lucas is injury prone and Can has been better at CB than he has been at CM which means it falls on Milner and Allen and we can't afford to lose Milner at the moment, hence a young player gets a chance and so far he hasn't disappointed.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84635 on: October 2, 2015, 07:17:54 pm »
He has done everything that has been expected of him except sign a new contract and that's quite a big thing. It's the club who have the upper hand and they're not going to make concessions first. They'll presumably have told him he has a future/will be given a chance but only if he signs a new contract. It isn't up to the club to give him any more incentive than that and if he doesn't take what is on offer then it's a season of U21 football for him.
Kent above Ojo?

I see where he's coming from. Ojo is still inconsistant right now. Has superb potential and talent, but needs to show it more regularly now. Kent has been a bit more consistent in comparison. Still amazed we couldn't get him a loan in to the Championship but managed to with Canos.

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #84636 on: October 3, 2015, 11:03:11 am »
Game against Man U on LFCtv now for the U18's!

#LFC U18s v @ManUtd: George, Lewis, Johnston, Parker, Whelan, Phillips, Alexander-Arnold, Coyle, Woodburn, Alves, Ejaria.
#LFC U18s subs v @ManUtd: Owens, Wheeler, Dhanda, Dobie, Brimmer.

Toni Gomes still injured, Dhanda back from injury and Masterson missing...but don't know why.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84637 on: October 3, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
Game against Man U on LFCtv now for the U18's!

#LFC U18s v @ManUtd: George, Lewis, Johnston, Parker, Whelan, Phillips, Alexander-Arnold, Coyle, Woodburn, Alves, Ejaria.
#LFC U18s subs v @ManUtd: Owens, Wheeler, Dhanda, Dobie, Brimmer.

Toni Gomes still injured, Dhanda back from injury and Masterson missing...but don't know why.

Masterson is serving a one match ban for a straight red a couple of weeks ago

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #84638 on: October 3, 2015, 11:28:42 am »
1-0 Alexander-Arnold!

Ben Woodburn with the assist, he's brilliant.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84639 on: October 3, 2015, 11:30:17 am »
A-A the goalscoring winger to go with his other attributes.