Author Topic: Decent films forgotten  (Read 25163 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Decent films forgotten
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 10:33:03 pm »
Tron Legacy. I thought Michael Sheen was brillinat as Castor.

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2020, 07:59:09 am »
Boyz N The Hood.
Ooh good shout along with partner film Do the Right Thing.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2020, 08:06:45 am »
Ooh good shout along with partner film Do the Right Thing.

Oh yes, Do the Right Thing is an exceptional film. Still as relevant as ever.

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2020, 08:38:53 am »
This list will have enough movies you probably haven't seen yet

https://letterboxd.com/dave/list/official-top-250-narrative-feature-films/

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2020, 08:50:29 am »
Everybody remembers Airplane!, but Top Secret! is almost as good as aforementioned classic.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2020, 10:24:35 am »
Dog Soldiers
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2020, 11:31:56 am »
My son has been watching lots of old classics during lockdown, for the first time in his case. I’ve seen most of them before but some not for many years.

One he enjoyed recently was Deliverance. Great film.

It reminded me of another that shares some thematic similarities but has never to my knowledge had the same popular regard: Southern Comfort

The main difference is it’s a group of soldiers on training manoeuvres who upset the locals, rather than yuppies on a fishing trip. Starts Powers Booth and Keith Carradine, if I recall correctly. Used to have it on vhs recorded off the telly many years ago and watched it many times.

This in turn reminds me of another I used to have on vhs and watched over and over again: Excalibur - John Boorman’s masterpiece, easily the best cinematic take on the King Arthur legend ever. Nicol Williamson as Merlin is superb. Haven’t seen it for years though. Would love to watch it again now I’m thinking about it.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2020, 12:05:59 pm »
I downloaded a movie app called Old Time Movies the other day. Had free to stream movies from you tube. Classic westerns, war films and drama from the thirties onwards. Saw some titles I recognised...then promptly forgot them again.

And I think using lists is cheating. Week long ban for that

Offline stara

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2020, 03:50:37 pm »
I think using lists is cheating. Week long ban for that

:D

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2020, 04:20:49 pm »
Everybody remembers Airplane!, but Top Secret! is almost as good as aforementioned classic.

Is it? I don't remember thinking so at the time, but admittedly it is many years since I've seen it. Maybe I should give it another go!

The only things I remember about it now are some smutty business with a pantomime cow and the "anal intruder".

Offline stara

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2020, 04:52:36 pm »
Is it?

Headline says Decent films forgotten.

Could be that I exaggerate a little bit. I was 17 when I saw it ...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 04:56:27 pm by stara »

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2020, 08:58:50 pm »
Reach for the Sky (1956)

Biopic of RAF Group Captain Douglas Bader who, after having lost both legs, flew a British fighter plane during WW2.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049665/
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2020, 10:40:34 pm »
I've been downloading and watching dozens of old 'film noir'. Take your pick there, some absolutely great films.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2020, 11:07:52 am »
Headline says Decent films forgotten.

Looks thoroughly indecent to me!

Could be that I exaggerate a little bit. I was 17 when I saw it ...

I think I was about 14 when I saw it, which is probably the ideal age to enjoy that kind of schoolboy humour. And I did enjoy it - just don't remember thinking it was as good as Airplane, even at the time.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2020, 11:15:09 am »
When I was growing up, I used to love watching the Marx brothers films, which were regular fixtures in the Christmas TV schedules - I seem to remember they were shown in the mornings, one a day. But I've not seen any of them for some time - they're very rarely on TV these days.

Until a few months ago, when I watched Duck Soup.

Wow! To say it has aged badly is an understatement. (Although, to be fair, those films were probably very old-fashioned even when I was watching them as a kid in the 70s/80s, I was just too young to appreciate it.)

And yet, in spite of some of the attitudes expressed being extremely outdated, it was very, very funny indeed. The classic mirror scene still makes me laugh out loud...
https://youtu.be/VKTT-sy0aLg

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2020, 11:19:40 am »
I watched Gattaca for the first time in over a decade the other day, I'd forgotten what a cracking film it is.  Smart, stylish sci-fi that nobody seems to talk about these days.

Yes! I thought that film was massively underrated when it came out, maybe that's why it has been largely forgotten. But it is one I would happily watch again.

I'm not a huge fan of Jude Law but he is very good in that. (Trivia: he shares my birthday - not just the date but the year as well.)

And my train of thought leads me on to another sci-fi/thriller film that I thought was underrated but I love, which is Cypher, starring Jeremy Northam as an accountant who gets involved in corporate espionage - which is a lot less dull than it sounds! The plot is really mad and convoluted, and that's even before you get to the crazy twist... but it's really good fun. And Jeremy Northam is excellent.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:23:49 am by smutchin »

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2020, 12:39:23 pm »
The Taking of Pelham 123. The original early 70s one featuring Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. Terrific film.

Mean Machine. Again the original Burt Reynolds movie from the 70s, which I think was called The Longest Yard in the USA? Probably about the time Reynolds was at the peak of his career.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2020, 12:54:49 pm »

Breaking Away. A heartwarming coming of age cycling comedy drama from 1979 - yes I know,  it sounds absolutely last and cheesy as fck ;D but imo it's a great film and it still has a small but loyal cult following 40 years on. I've watched it dozens of times now and it's always guaranteed to raise the spirits.

Go cutters !  ;D

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2020, 01:15:21 pm »
Paper Moon.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2020, 02:04:23 pm »
Breaking Away. A heartwarming coming of age cycling comedy drama from 1979 - yes I know,  it sounds absolutely last and cheesy as fck ;D but imo it's a great film and it still has a small but loyal cult following 40 years on. I've watched it dozens of times now and it's always guaranteed to raise the spirits.

Go cutters !  ;D

Great flick, love seeing Mooch turn up in Narcos so many years later, after having stolen the show as Kelly Leak in Bad News Bears, another possible forgotten eminently decent film...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2020, 07:03:24 pm »
Paper Moon.

with Ryan and his daughter Tatum O'Neal - who steals the whole movie

excellent choice

in fact, there are a LOT of excellent choices in the replies to this thread
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2020, 07:08:01 pm »
Munich

I thought it was a sensational film... but one that seldom gets remembered.  I loved its rendition of the 70s as much as it’s story
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2020, 07:17:17 pm »
Munich

I thought it was a sensational film... but one that seldom gets remembered.  I loved its rendition of the 70s as much as it’s story
I actually think it's Spielberg's second best film after Jaws, from a technical standpoint it's very nearly flawless.  It's wonderfully shot, Kaminski has been his DP for a while, Munich is up there with his work on Schindler's List.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2020, 07:17:44 pm »
Paper Moon.
Cracker!
When I was growing up, I used to love watching the Marx brothers films, which were regular fixtures in the Christmas TV schedules - I seem to remember they were shown in the mornings, one a day. But I've not seen any of them for some time - they're very rarely on TV these days.

Until a few months ago, when I watched Duck Soup.

Wow! To say it has aged badly is an understatement. (Although, to be fair, those films were probably very old-fashioned even when I was watching them as a kid in the 70s/80s, I was just too young to appreciate it.)

And yet, in spite of some of the attitudes expressed being extremely outdated, it was very, very funny indeed. The classic mirror scene still makes me laugh out loud...
https://youtu.be/VKTT-sy0aLg
Love, love , love the Marx Brothers - Groucho is a legend... watched the sanity clause sketch the other day.
They always said that they didn't write their material, the audience did (as they toured Vaudeville and tried different gags out)
Reach for the Sky (1956)

Biopic of RAF Group Captain Douglas Bader who, after having lost both legs, flew a British fighter plane during WW2.

Proper Sunday afternoon film.

Dogma. Jay and Silent Bob... featuring Alannis Morrisette

Offline Trabolgan

• Anny Roader
  • "For The Honour"
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2020, 07:34:41 pm »
Spike Lee's Summer of Sam.
For The Honour

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2020, 10:28:31 pm »
Spike Lee's Summer of Sam.
funnily enough I was thinking of Inside Man from him too
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2020, 10:30:33 pm »

It reminded me of another that shares some thematic similarities but has never to my knowledge had the same popular regard: Southern Comfort

The main difference is it’s a group of soldiers on training manoeuvres who upset the locals, rather than yuppies on a fishing trip. Starts Powers Booth and Keith Carradine, if I recall correctly. Used to have it on vhs recorded off the telly many years ago and watched it many times.

Ace film, this.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2020, 10:39:54 pm »
Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (1999)

An average aquarium cleaner house-sits for a gigolo, only to be forced to become one himself.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205000/

I'm really not one for comedy films, but even the thought of this film has me chuckling.
 ;D

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2020, 11:02:31 pm »
Cracker!Love, love , love the Marx Brothers - Groucho is a legend... watched the sanity clause sketch the other day.
They always said that they didn't write their material, the audience did (as they toured Vaudeville and tried different gags out)Proper Sunday afternoon film.

Sad to say but I'm with smutchin on that. I loved the Marx Bros films when they were shown daily as Xmas fare back in the 70's, I read books on them and I even had a Groucho shirt ( thinking about it now it was a bizarre fashion trend  but go back to 1974 and the Kop would have been full of 13/14/15 year olds with repeat pattern shirts with fly away collars of old film stars like Groucho, Laurel & Hardy, Chaplin, James Dean etc - usually in brown on a beige background ) - I tried to watch a couple of their films recently and was horrified at how badly they'd aged. Nowhere near as bad as how Abbot & Costello films have aged mind - god,  from thinking Lou Costello was hilarious when I was a kid I now think he might quite possibly be the unfunniest 'comedian' ever. Then again at one point I'd have put Maltese Falcon as one of my top 10 films ever but watching it recently... jeez. I still love loads of films from that era but I dread to think what youngsters (anyone under the age of 50  :-[  ;D ) would think watching it now as one of the recognised  greatest films of all time . Maybe that's a theme for another thread = films that've aged well v those that haven't.

On a brighter note - much thanks  to Damian Omen V for posting that link earlier upthread - I scrolled through it and came across 'It's Such A Beautiful Day' - in my case it's not a forgotten film but a 'never heard of before' film... and wow, I downloaded it and it blew me away. I'm not normally into animation but it was amazing. Bill is now one of my most favourite film characters ever. He may just be a stickman but I
 wanted to reach into the screen and give him a big hug. I went through almost as many different emotions watching it as Istanbul 25/05/05.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:11:26 pm by Six Beardy »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2020, 09:00:36 am »
Reach for the Sky (1956)

It was on iPlayer's Film section. Always worth a look at the 'Silver Screen Classics' on there.

Citizen Kane - Orson Welles masterpiece

The Magnificent Ambersons - anopther Orson Welles masterpiece

King Kong - the 1933 original

The Thing from Another World - 1951 original

and many more.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2020, 09:57:00 am »
Walk The Line gets overlooked as one of the best music biopics of all time.

The subject being a C&W musician doesn't appeal to everyone and the fact that 'America's sweetheart' Reese Witherspoon transitioned from playing Elle in Legally Blonde 2 to June Carter within a year resulting in her winning the Golden Globe, BAFTA and an Academy Award for Best Actress.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2020, 02:58:33 pm »
Devil in a Blue Dress, 1995, one of the best 'modern' Noirs i've ever seen which also has Denzel and Don Cheadle in the prime of their lives giving it everything plus Tom Sizemore for good measure.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2020, 03:33:32 pm »

Citizen Kane - Orson Welles masterpiece

I initially wanted to respond saying this is hardly a decent film forgotten.  But on looking at IMDB's top 250 movies of all times, it comes in at a staggeringly low 97th!!

I honestly thought it would be top 5

So yeah.  I agree :)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2020, 05:30:39 pm »
Some that come to mind

Arty
Charlie Bubbles (1968)
Two For the Road (1968)
War and Peace (1966)
Seconds (1966)
Go (1999)
Daisies (1966)
Big Wednesday (1978)
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970)
Bonjour Tristesse (1958)
French Lieutenant's Woman (1981)
Performance (1970)
I Am Cuba (1964)

Comedy
Paper Moon (1973)
Passport to Pimlico (1949)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
Divorce Italian Style (1961)
What's Up Doc? (1972)
The Out of Towners (1970)
I Was a Male War Bride (1949)
To Be or Not To Be (1942)
The Landlord (1970)
After Hours (1985)

Drama
Almost Famous (2000)
Ace in The Hole (1951)
The Pawnbroker (1964)
The Small Back Room (1949)
A Dry White Season (1989)
Dodsworth (1937)
Quiz Show (1994)
Army of Shadows (1969)
The Vikings (1959)
Two Weeks in Another Town (1962)
Sea Wolf (1941)
The Train (1964)
The Man Who Never Was (1956)
Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964)
King Rat (1965)

Musicals
Gold Diggers of 1933(1933)
It's Always Fair Weather (1955)

Silent
Lonesome (1930)
Man With A Movie Camera (1929)

Thriller/Noir/Crime/Horror
The King of New York (1991)
The Killers (1946)
Cast A Dark Shadow (1955)
Sorcerer (1977)
Scarlet Street (1945)
Bunny Lake is Missing (1965)
Dollars (1971)
Deadly Affair (1966)
In Cold Blood (1967)
House of Bamboo (1955)
Near Dark (1987)
Long Good Friday (1980)
Elevator to the Gallows (1958)

Westerns
Devil's Doorway (1950)
Heaven's Gate (1980)
The Hanging Tree (1959)
Yellow Sky (1948)
The Gunfighter (1950)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:36:55 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2020, 05:42:34 pm »
Another one that isn't mentioned much is Traffic, the 1999 film by Steven Soderbergh.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2020, 05:54:15 pm »
Another one that isn't mentioned much is Traffic, the 1999 film by Steven Soderbergh.

Great film that I'm surprised has become rather forgotten.

Breaking Away.

Fantastic little film. Probably one of the most forgotten, yet critically acclaimed Best Picture nominees of the 1970s

Yep. I've tried several times with Duck Soup, but it just doesn't seem to agree with me. There are some great set-pieces in it (the mirror, the motorcycle jokes), but it's amazing how much it drags considering it's under 70 minutes

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2020, 06:21:42 pm »
The Light at the Edge of the World

- it has a bit of a cult following this one

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2020, 08:53:35 pm »
One I've not seen for years, caught it late one night on BBC2, The Seven Samurai.

Insomnia - Robin Williams and Al Pacino
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2020, 09:44:05 pm »
The Beast 1988

Made in Britain 1982

Midnight Express 1978

Papillon 1973

The Elephant Man 1980

Duel 1971

Lost Highway 1997 (if you want a lynch spin out)

The Thing 1982

Whiplash 2014 (perhaps not forgotten but worth watching if you missed it)

Patton 1970
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:21:47 pm by McSquared »

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »

Original series was great if you can find it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffik