Author Topic: Terrorism in the UK - The Wider Context  (Read 97349 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Terrorism in the UK - The Wider Context
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2017, 10:56:39 am »
Anyone seen the cartoon in the Mail today ?

No, I don't read the Daily Mail. Do you?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2017, 10:58:01 am »
How long do people think the Election campaign will be suspended for?

I'm a very cynical when it comes to this government the longer it goes on the longer I think its the Tories trying to gerrymander the result. 

Usually it a case of the government saying we must not let them win and life should get back to normal quickly but not this time.

Are you for real?

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2017, 11:03:42 am »
No of course if one knows something you report it to the police.  However I am talking about being offered a job to work for them as some kind of informer, that's what has been suggested and the people I know wouldn't do that simply as it is seen as spying.
Offered a job to inform on them or just keep their eyes and ears open and let us know if you have any suspicions. maybe it's the choice of words their using that's causing the difference of opinion.
 We both agree that if the police are asking them to let them know if they see or hear anything suspicious then it's not snitching. your saying they want them to inform on them which would mean  going far further, they are being asked to gain their confidence to gain as much information as possible.
I think it's far more likely the police are asking the vast majority of people to keep their eyes and ears open rather than gain to gain the confidence of a possible extremist to give the security forces info.am sure it does happen though.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2017, 11:18:56 am »
Damn right. As a mixed race person I am very wary of the police as I don't trust them.

As a Muslim I certainly don't trust them. The ridiculous ideas like Muslims spying on each other were just stupid.

What do people think happens in mosques? I swear some people actually think people plot terroism in mosques.

I've had friends mention to me how the security services have approached them asking them to work for them and be some kind of snitch.

It's not up to us to police. That's not our job.

As for the wider context the UK doesn't need to get involved in conflicts that have nothing to do with them.

You consider stopping nutters blowing up little kids as "snitching" or not your responsibility?
Nice one pal. Stay classy.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2017, 11:21:44 am »
There's some utterly rancid stuff in the Quran, its not hard to find justification for attacks like this in there.
And the old testament can be read to justify genocide and mass rape. Judaism and Christianity have (on the whole) done a better job in recognising that not everything written 2,000 years ago should be taken literally (if it ever could be).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:50 am »
Usually it a case of the government saying we must not let them win and life should get back to normal quickly but not this time.

Campaigning for the EU ref was paused for 2 days after Jo Cox and that was without the possibility of an ongoing threat

No doubt there was a minority of pro Brexit idiots who were saying things like what you're saying now about that...

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:51 am »
Damn right. As a mixed race person I am very wary of the police as I don't trust them.

As a Muslim I certainly don't trust them. The ridiculous ideas like Muslims spying on each other were just stupid.

What do people think happens in mosques? I swear some people actually think people plot terroism in mosques.

I've had friends mention to me how the security services have approached them asking them to work for them and be some kind of snitch.

As for the wider context the UK doesn't need to get involved in conflicts that have nothing to do with them.

So by that rationale if I see some nasty piece of shit skinhead beating up an Old Muslim guy its ok to walk past and not call the Old Bill because I'd be some kind of snitch and its ok for me not to stop him because its not my job?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2017, 11:24:03 am »

Please Trada, try and engage your critical faculties a bit before simply regurgutating verbatum what you are reading on twitter or wherever it is you are getting your ideas and information from.

Think, and really think hard, and then pause and think once again before you hit that enter key and simply post this sort of stuff up, and ask yourself how true or reliable is this stuff (just like your post last night that I questioned) and who gains from spreading it around?

If you don't, you're possibly going to get yourself into some serious trouble one day. During the 2nd WW, people would be arrested and jailed for spreading false rumours and stories.

Stick to the verifiable facts and truth, and from reputable sources, and not guff that some attention seeking nomark wet lipped shit whisk has posted on twitter or facebook.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2017, 11:28:04 am »

Wow.

So the police asked members of the community to help them stamp out radicalisation, and your response is "no, that's snitching" "not my job mate".

I hope I misread your post.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2017, 11:32:50 am »
No of course if one knows something you report it to the police.  However I am talking about being offered a job to work for them as some kind of informer, that's what has been suggested and the people I know wouldn't do that simply as it is seen as spying.
Some of the bravest actors in the Irish troubles were police informers. It's ugly, it's dirty - but it saves lives. No innocent person has anything to be afraid of from police intelligence gathering.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2017, 11:34:00 am »

Where in London are you from if I may ask?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2017, 11:51:17 am »
Some of the bravest actors in the Irish troubles were police informers. It's ugly, it's dirty - but it saves lives.

My understanding is that increasing numbers of Muslims are beginning to understand this now. We have to hope that Puroreso Kid's attitude is not typical of the Muslim community because if it is we are all in for a tough time.

The record shows that the hateful ideas of Islamism are often incubated in mosques and Koranic study groups. That doesn't mean that all the faithful share their views, but it's undeniable that the poison has been able to spread relatively freely because, in the past, not enough Muslims have either been watchful enough or concerned enough to stem the flow. This latest atrocity was committed by a kid who had recently - according to the Guardian report - been seen and heard chanting religious verses very loudly in the streets. That is not normal behaviour in this country. In medieval times, perhaps, when the land was crawling with religious penitents, but not now. Now it is the certain sign of a slightly unhinged mind. One would hope that the police were informed so that they could keep an eye on him and his friends. If this is 'snitching', so be it. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2017, 11:52:18 am »
So by that rationale if I see some nasty piece of shit skinhead beating up an Old Muslim guy its ok to walk past and not call the Old Bill because I'd be some kind of snitch and its ok for me not to stop him because its not my job?

There is a pretty clear difference between a one off police call as per your example and constant spywork and its attendant risks. His post about 'working for the police' was pointing at a long term thing rather than just a one off.

You're asking regular people to go above and beyond, put their life and the lives of those close to them at high risk constantly. Now if someone does that, respect, but I don't think less of anyone who refuses to either.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2017, 11:54:57 am »
This latest atrocity was committed by a kid who had recently - according to the Guardian report - been seen and heard chanting religious verses very loudly in the streets. That is not normal behaviour in this country.

Just on that bit, I have seen plenty of Christian types citing religious text in city centres down the years.

I just think they're a bit mad (bonkers) and don't think of dobbing them in to the bizzies

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2017, 11:57:11 am »
Just on that bit, I have seen plenty of Christian types citing religious text in city centres down the years.

I just think they're a bit mad (bonkers) and don't think of dobbing them in to the bizzies

Presumably because you don't think they're going to blow up shit...

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2017, 11:57:15 am »
Some of the bravest actors in the Irish troubles were police informers. It's ugly, it's dirty - but it saves lives. No innocent person has anything to be afraid of from police intelligence gathering.

Keep in mind though at least some of the informer during the Troubles were blackmailed into becoming informers by the authorities - they weren't all necessarily doing it to save lives.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2017, 11:59:46 am »
Keep in mind though at least some of the informer during the Troubles were blackmailed into becoming informers by the authorities - they weren't all necessarily doing it to save lives.
You run the risk of being blackmailed into being an informer if you want to play toy soldiers and associate with terrorists. But yes, you're absolutely right and it was effective.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2017, 12:00:04 pm »

I hadn't thought of that and it's a fair point.

But is this fair too? If this country suddenly started suffering a spate of Christian terrorist attacks, committed by fundamentalist Christians who unfailingly chanted 'God is Merciful' before pulling the chords on their suicide packs, might you think a bit differently about the 'bonkers' Christian guy chanting from Revelations in the street? Isn't it better to be on the safe side?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:38 pm »
Anyone who tries to push their religion on anyone in the street can fuck right off. It's the root of all evil and in a few hundred years when it's been wiped out the earth will be a utopia.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2017, 12:08:11 pm »
Anyone who tries to push their religion on anyone in the street can fuck right off. It's the root of all evil and in a few hundred years when it's been wiped out the earth will be a utopia.

Yet I would not want to live in a society that did not afford people the freedom to do that...

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2017, 12:09:05 pm »
The thing that I would take issue with is the 'It's not up to us to police. That's not our job. '

That is part of their job though? To try and have much intelligence as possible. Having ears in communities is part of that I'm afraid. Much more preferable to the type of surveillance you hear your Trumps and so on proposing

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2017, 12:14:58 pm »

Well the difference being reporting a crime you see as a civilian is totally different to be working for the security services in secret on some pro rata basis with financial rewards which can result in people doing whatever to make some money.

I never said one shouldn't report a crime or the potential crime. What I wont advocate however is us being told to eavesdrop on conversations or even worse report anything and everything no matter how ambiguous it may be.

We have already seen teachers complain that they are being forced into the role of "front-line storm trooper" to spy on pupils as part of the Prevent strategy. Now is that a teachers job?  I don't see it is.

Not forgetting strategies like this only sees a focus on those based upon there religion which profiling.

Look at this for example of how absurd the counter extremism prevent policy has become

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/11/nursery-radicalisation-fears-boys-cucumber-drawing-cooker-bomb

Staff at a nursery school threatened to refer a four-year-old boy to a de-radicalisation programme after he drew pictures which they thought showed his father making a “cooker bomb”, according to the child’s mother.

The child’s drawing actually depicted his father cutting a cucumber with a knife, his mother says, but staff misheard his explanation and thought it referred to a type of improvised explosive device.

Now do I blame the staff, probably not as they are being told to report what they feel could be a sign of extremism of a muslim no matter how stupid it is but again who determines what this is?  Where does it stop? 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/22/school-questioned-muslim-pupil-about-isis-after-discussion-on-eco-activism

The parents of the 14-year-old are taking legal action after the boy said he was left “scared and nervous” by his experience with school officials in north London, and was left reluctant to join in class discussions for fear of being suspected of extremism.

The incident gives an insight into how schools and teachers are dealing with the pressures of the government’s new anti-extremism initiatives amid mounting concern about British youngsters being lured by Isis propaganda.

According to court documents, the boy was in a French class at the Central Foundation school in May 2015 and took part in a discussion, conducted mostly in French, about the environment. The teacher and pupils were said to have discussed those who use violence to protect the planet.

The teenager mentioned that some people use the term “ecoterrorist” to describe those who take action such as spiking trees with nails to prevent chainsaws from chopping them down.

A few days later he was pulled out of class and taken to an “inclusion centre” elsewhere in the school. During this meeting the schoolboy said one adult sat behind him, and another in front of him, whom he had not seen before. That person was a child protection officer, the Guardian has learned, who had been called in to establish if concerns about terrorism were legitimate.

The boy who wishes not to be named, told the Guardian: “I didn’t know what was going on. They said there had been safety concerns raised. If you are taken out of French class and asked about Isis, it is quite scary. My heart skipped a beat.”

He said he was baffled how mentioning the phrases “L’ecoterrorisme”, which he had learned from an earlier session of the school debating society, led to him being asked whether he supported Isis.

The boy and his parents say he was asked if he was “affiliated” with Isis. The school said he was asked if he had heard of the terrorist group, according to legal papers filed by his mother. The boy’s mother said her son came home from school “visibly distressed”.

This is the kind of fear and suspicion we could do without.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2017, 12:15:42 pm »
Yet I would not want to live in a society that did not afford people the freedom to do that...

It's a difficult one. The jehovas handing out watchtower or the Muslims at the stall giving out free Korans aren't hurting anyone, but I find myself taking an instant dislike to them trying to get others to believe in their brand of the sky fairy.

I hate religion as a whole (although I recognise that some good comes from different elements of some religions) I hope that doesn't make me a bigot of some kind.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:18:00 pm by Le Jake »

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:03 pm »

Do we get a list of things we can and can't do in this utopia, or is it screamed at us on arrival? So far I see judgement, hatred and ignorance is in.  :D

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:58 pm »
It's a difficult one. The jehovas handing out watchtower or the Muslims at the stall giving out free Korans aren't hurting anyone, but I find myself taking an instant dislike to them trying to get others to believe in their brand of the sky fairy.

I hate religion. I hope that doesn't make me a bigot of some kind.

I don't see how you're a bigot if you hate ideas and not people, so I'm sure you're safe mate. Otherwise I'm a bigot too ;D

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2017, 12:31:09 pm »

WTF   ::) ::) ::)

Not interested in helping people live in a safer and more tolerant society then.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:36:15 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2017, 12:38:39 pm »
The guy was born in the country and betrayed his own country. He should be looked at as a scumbag traitor and nothing more. But I have to say talk of 'snitching' is laughable. I'd snitch on hundreds of people if I had a suspicion or knowing they held dangerous extremist views such as this guy. Maybe if someone had snitched on this idiot a lot of people would be alive today.

Also the election really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. A girl has just lost both her parents and will have to be orphaned. A bit of perspective on this.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:39 pm »

The JW's are ok'ish, I often have a civilised chat to them when they turn up on our doorstep, not that they could ever teach a lapsed Catholic turned Atheist anything. I sometimes end up politely pointing out some of their errors...They must enjoy it as a challenge as they keep turning up every few months or so and have done for years. It might be that I'm probably one of the few people around here who doesn't tell them to just fuck off.
They're a bit barking in that they believe the word, literally, and have some peculiar views on things like blood transfusions being a sin which can lead to unnecessary tragedies, but one good thing is like the Quakers, they are very anti-war and conscientious objectors and have been persecuted just for that belief down the years. I doubt you'll ever hear of a JW suicide bomber.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2017, 12:44:14 pm »
Dave, seriously will you fuck of with this? There are 22 people dead including teenagers and an eight year old girl. Grow the fuck up and get away from whatever shite Facebook and Twitter feeds you read.

Of course I know it will be suspended for at least a couple of days I was just wondering how long thats all I heard the national campaign maybe stopped for up to 6 days.

Heres Faisal Islam of Skynews in a off camera chat I guess they didn't know it was being recorded saying it plays into Mays hands and because Jeremy is being portrayed as a IRA sympathiser people will link this Manchester bombing with Manchester IRA bombing in their minds.

And seem to be thinking it maybe be suspended to after the Bank Holiday if no one breaks ranks.

Its how the media are thinking and this was yesterday morning.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BAK7r11t5w8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BAK7r11t5w8</a>
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:21:52 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Lecter

• Better than Amazon and probably pays his taxes in full!
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2017, 12:52:05 pm »
I think any event like this will play into the hands of the incumbent whoever they are and whoever the opposition is

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2017, 12:54:41 pm »

Trada, there's world of difference between the reasonable journalistic speculation...plays into Mays hands and because Jeremy is being portrayed as a IRA sympathiser people will link this Manchester bombing with Manchester IRA bombing in their minds around 1.90 -2.10, and what you said...

...I'm a very cynical when it comes to this government the longer it goes on the longer I think its the Tories trying to gerrymander the result

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2017, 12:59:34 pm »
Yeah the leap from 'it may benefit her' to "she's using it to benefit her' is deeply cynical and rather extreme I'd say.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2017, 12:59:52 pm »
How long do people think the Election campaign will be suspended for?

I'm a very cynical when it comes to this government the longer it goes on the longer I think its the Tories trying to gerrymander the result. 

The campaign has been suspended because the parties have chosen to suspend it. If Jeremy Corbyn and Labour want to get back out there then nobody, not even the Tories, can stop them.

I'm of the mind all parties should resume tomorrow. May has been everywhere (rightly so) and this is the middle of a campaign - it's bound to have some influence. Implying this attack is being exploited however, is low. And not very bright.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:01:23 pm by TravisBickle »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Lecter

• Better than Amazon and probably pays his taxes in full!
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2017, 01:00:15 pm »
You have the intellectual capacity of an eleven year old.

Haha, he clearly doesnt know what "gerrymandering" is anyway. His definition certainly differs from what I was taught back in the late 80's anyway

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2017, 01:00:18 pm »
Anyone thinking the Tories NEED to gerrymander the coming election are absolutely delusional.

Offline MaskedBenitez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2017, 01:01:03 pm »
Stop selling billions of pounds worth of arms to Saudi Arabia the home of Wahabism. That'd be a great start Theresa and Donald. Thanks, Bye.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 24, 2017, 01:03:10 pm »
No, I don't read the Daily Mail. Do you?

Nope

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 24, 2017, 01:05:29 pm »
Stop selling billions of pounds worth of arms to Saudi Arabia the home of Wahabism. That'd be a great start Theresa and Donald. Thanks, Bye.
as much as I don't like that seeing what other stuff happens in the Middle East during leadership instability they're probably the least worst option

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: May 24, 2017, 01:09:03 pm »

That will solve nothing. Saudi dont really do that much fighting. The only people that suffer from the arms we sell Saudi are the Houthis in Yemen.

It would just make us poorer and another seller (presumably Russia) richer.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 24, 2017, 01:11:19 pm »

It would just make us poorer and another seller (presumably Russia) richer.

Moral minefield that