Author Topic: Incident at Manchester Arena  (Read 75457 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Incident at Manchester Arena
« Reply #640 on: May 26, 2017, 08:59:00 pm »
The statement is so bland.

Armed counter terrorism team jumped the 41 bus on Oxford Road to arrest a bloke on the back seat.

Head of counter terrorism in Britain, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, said this tonight:

Having made enormous progress and made some significant arrests and had some significant finds, there still remain important lines of inquiry for us to pursue.

We’ve got to try to understand everything we can about the dead terrorist, his associates.

We need to understand the whole network and how they acquired and built the bomb that exploded on Monday night.

It’s going to take a little more time to close down those gaps in our understanding.

We are working as fast as we can do because everyone wants answers to this.

He said police now have a “much better understanding” of what happened.

We’ve got a lot of the risk contained but we still have some uncertainty. As we chase down those lines of inquiry we will keep this strong policing presence.

We need to grow our confidence that we have got every component of the network and we have got as full an understanding as possible about how the device was constructed and whether there’s any remaining risk.

Clearly we haven’t covered all the territory we want to but we have covered a large part of it. Our confidence has been increasing over recent days but there’s still more to do to get to the degree of confidence we want.

(Sourced from MEN livefeed)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:00:35 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #641 on: May 26, 2017, 10:20:45 pm »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #642 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:47 pm »
The shopkeeper next door to the barber shop in Moss Side that was raided this morning claims to have seen Salman Abedi visit. He also says the shop had been closed since Tuesday.

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #643 on: May 26, 2017, 10:47:43 pm »

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #644 on: May 26, 2017, 10:55:43 pm »
How you deal with adversity says a lot about you. Wanted to share this little excerpt.

From all I have read about the luminous-sounding Martyn Hett since he was murdered at the Manchester Arena on Monday night, he sounds like he would have relished his brother’s jaw-droppingly brave stewardship of his memory in the days since. When Martyn’s name began trending on Twitter, Dan Hett’s response was a masterclass in sombre seemliness: “He would, I think it’s safe to say, be fucking loving this.”

The next day, Mariah Carey had posted a picture of Martyn in a Mariah Carey T-shirt, accompanied by a devastated quote about the death of a member of her fandom. His brother’s response was one of those jokes that makes you gasp and laugh at the same time: “I was a little dubious about Martyn’s recent bold social media move,” he deadpanned. “But it worked.”

God, the sheer balls of that. How on earth can he manage to be properly funny at such an unimaginably awful time? Properly, involuntary laugh-inducingly, heartbreakingly, inspiringly, tragically hilarious? Their mother, Figen Murray – previously the beneficiary of one of Martyn’s genuine social media moves, when he managed to sell out her under-appreciated knitting craft stall – clearly raised some extraordinarily spirited children.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/26/heroic-black-humour-hatred-choose-british-values

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: May 27, 2017, 12:20:31 am »
The New York Times editor came across as a right bastard in his BBC interview. Him and his newspaper can fuck off.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #646 on: May 27, 2017, 06:55:17 am »
Now they've stopped blowing doors off their hinges, I can probably get some sleep. Feel for the police maintaining this tempo and level of alert. Three more raids tonight. One in Longsight (just SE of the city centre) and two in Cheetham Hill (just N of the city centre). The second in Cheetham Hill has led to the arrest of two more men (aged 22 and 20). Now at eleven men in custody.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #647 on: May 27, 2017, 07:04:44 am »
Now they've stopped blowing doors off their hinges, I can probably get some sleep. Feel for the police maintaining this tempo and level of alert. Three more raids tonight. One in Longsight (just SE of the city centre) and two in Cheetham Hill (just N of the city centre). The second in Cheetham Hill has led to the arrest of two more men (aged 22 and 20). Now at eleven men in custody.
It's odd that, like any major conurbation, you hear police and ambulance sirens going off all the time. Particularly if you live/work anywhere en route to the station or hospital.

Now every siren i hear is part of the investigation as a subconscious marker of the dragnet closing. It feels like they are closing down these bastards properly.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #648 on: May 27, 2017, 07:14:31 am »
It's odd that, like any major conurbation, you hear police and ambulance sirens going off all the time. Particularly if you live/work anywhere en route to the station or hospital.

Now every siren i hear is part of the investigation as a subconscious marker of the dragnet closing. It feels like they are closing down these bastards properly.

Did you catch what the head of counter terrorism was saying yesterday about them feeling confident that the investigation was going well?

Know what you mean about sirens - it's usually just background music to the city. I'm only just off Cheetham Hill Road, so it's normally constantly busy with ambulances from NMGH and police zipping into or out of city centre. Now it's either the odd ambulance or convoys of police so it's a really odd change.

Also: I can now confirm that the sound of doors being blown in travels really well at night.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #649 on: May 27, 2017, 07:19:33 am »
Please keep this for the Manchester incident.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: May 27, 2017, 07:44:19 am »
Please keep this for the Manchester incident.
How is the ongoing police activity a mere mile away from the incident not connected?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: May 27, 2017, 07:52:22 am »
How is the ongoing police activity a mere mile away from the incident not connected?

I split and merged the story about the lad who planted a bomb on the tube and I just deleted a post about the same story.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: May 27, 2017, 08:02:26 am »
I split and merged the story about the lad who planted a bomb on the tube and I just deleted a post about the same story.
Ah. Ok. Got you.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: May 27, 2017, 08:23:26 am »
No problem.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: May 27, 2017, 12:04:31 pm »
Did you catch what the head of counter terrorism was saying yesterday about them feeling confident that the investigation was going well?

Know what you mean about sirens - it's usually just background music to the city. I'm only just off Cheetham Hill Road, so it's normally constantly busy with ambulances from NMGH and police zipping into or out of city centre. Now it's either the odd ambulance or convoys of police so it's a really odd change.

Also: I can now confirm that the sound of doors being blown in travels really well at night.
helicopters as well, normally it doesn't really register me (it's a big city, you kind of learn to live with it when you live there long enough) but since Monday (and Wednesday when in Wigan during the day hearing them when they were arresting those guys) that noise tends to stick with you a bit more now

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #655 on: May 27, 2017, 02:46:08 pm »
Yeah. I've just had a bloke literally outside my window kicking off on police in an unmarked car about them "arresting my brother". He went round the corner but a few patrol cars arrived a few seconds later. Not been that many police hovering round here since they finished their big efforts to clean up Cheetham Hill a bit, just after I'd moved to this part of Manchester.

----

Head of counter terrorism in the UK has given another statement on what's going on.

The high pace and rapid progress of this investigation is continuing. There were three more arrests overnight. We now have 11 men in custody. There are 17 searches either concluded or continuing on various addresses, largely in the north-west of the country.

We are getting a greater understanding of the preparation of the bomb. There is still much more to do. There will be more arrests. There will be more searches but the greater clarity and progress has led JTAC, the independent body which assesses threat, to the judgment that an attack is no longer imminent.

You would have heard consequently the prime minister’s announcement that the threat level has moved from critical to severe which of course still means that an attack is highly likely. I think therefore this weekend members of the public will be wondering what that means in terms of the events they will be going to on a sunny bank holiday weekend.

For practical reasons and precautionary reasons, we made the decision that the resources that we had planned for this weekend’s events will continue. They will still see that high level of policing presence; some armed, some unarmed.

Once we get past the weekend we are going to look forward to stepping down the extra resources we have put in place over the last week. The military support we have had over the last few days under Operation Temperer, [we] will start to phase that out as well.

The last thing I would like to say to members of the public is there is still a severe threat level. If you see something you are worried about or know somebody you are worried about, please do not hesitate: please act and please call us on the anti-terrorism hotline – 0800 789321.

(Sourced via Guardian's livefeed)

Seems like last night's arrests have given them the confidence that they can dial down a bit but they're still after more people in connection.

Not sure if it made the news much, possibly not judging from twitter stuff circulating, but the children who go to a local mosque here in Cheetham Hill walked into town to lay some flowers in St.Ann's Square. [edit: seems to be an autocorrect going on here?] Here's some of them coming down Cheetham Hill Road:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:48:28 pm by Zeb »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #656 on: May 29, 2017, 02:17:17 am »
There were a few more raids today, all in the south of the city (Moss Side, Gorton and Rusholme). Two more arrests, with a few being arrested and then de-arrested shortly after. Alongside news that the security services believe that they've recovered all the surplus bomb making chemicals and that the murderer made the bomb himself, MI5 asking questions about what happened with their internal processes:

MI5 is to hold an inquiry into the way it dealt with warnings from the public that the Manchester suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, was a potential threat.

Whitehall officials have acknowledged the security service was examining what assumptions had been made about the 22-year-old before last Monday's attack.

It later emerged it was alerted to his extremist views on three occasions.

Fourteen locations are being searched by police and 13 men remain in custody on suspicion of terror offences.

The latest person to be arrested was a 19-year-old man in the Gorton area of Manchester on Sunday. A 25-year-old man was held earlier in the Old Trafford area of the city.

MI5 has launched a "post incident investigation" into how the Manchester bomber was overlooked, while a separate report is being prepared for ministers and those who oversee the work of the service.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40080646

Saw in the MEN that the investigation is being carried out by over 1,000 people working 14 hour shifts, 24/7. And then the general increased security on top of that.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #658 on: May 29, 2017, 07:34:44 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/40082292/manchester-attack-cctv-appears-to-show-bomber-shopping-in-hours-before-explosion

Police are asking for anyone who saw him with a blue suitcase to contact them. Or if you know where the suitcase is, let them know without touching the thing.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-bomber-blue-suitcase-amedi-13109047

More raids today. One in Chester, one in Sussex - with a man arrested there. Manchester raids are still focused in the south of the city - Rusholme and Whalley Range. Man arrested on a bus in Rusholme (again).  Police are also searching a tip in Bury. Something seems to be going on in Radcliffe (north of Manchester on way to Bury), but no confirmation from police yet why armed officers are busy there.

19 people are still on the critical list in hospitals around Manchester.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #659 on: May 29, 2017, 11:28:33 pm »
I seen two fellas chatting over a case identical to this at some point since Monday but I just can't remember where. Will  call CTU in the morning. Doubt I'll sleep tonight trying to think about this.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #660 on: May 30, 2017, 09:11:51 am »
I seen two fellas chatting over a case identical to this at some point since Monday but I just can't remember where. Will  call CTU in the morning. Doubt I'll sleep tonight trying to think about this.
bit uneasy reading that for some reason
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:46 pm »
more activity in Wigan today with searches and bomb squad on scene

Online red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: May 31, 2017, 10:15:27 am »

Did you remember anything? Guess you might not be able to say on an open forum but hope you were able to help and get some sleep!
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: June 1, 2017, 09:27:21 pm »
Interesting read I picked up from another forum, apologies if it's been posted before in this thread.

http://johnpilger.com/articles/terror-in-britain-what-did-the-prime-minister-know

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: June 1, 2017, 10:11:12 pm »
Interesting read I picked up from another forum, apologies if it's been posted before in this thread.

http://johnpilger.com/articles/terror-in-britain-what-did-the-prime-minister-know

Posted in the other thread. Discussion starts here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=335622.msg15369633#msg15369633
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: June 1, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »
Posted in the other thread. Discussion starts here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=335622.msg15369633#msg15369633
Thanks Alan, apologies for repeating.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: June 1, 2017, 10:48:10 pm »
Thanks Alan, apologies for repeating.

No problem mate.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: June 2, 2017, 03:36:46 pm »
Police evacuate area near car believed to be linked to Manchester bomber

Police cordon off area around white Nissan Micra in Rusholme, near street searched by officers this week

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/02/police-evacuate-area-near-car-rusholme-believed-to-be-linked-to-manchester-bomber

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #668 on: June 2, 2017, 03:43:07 pm »
Police evacuate area near car believed to be linked to Manchester bomber

Police cordon off area around white Nissan Micra in Rusholme, near street searched by officers this week

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/02/police-evacuate-area-near-car-rusholme-believed-to-be-linked-to-manchester-bomber

This is interesting on what police have been looking for the past few days:

“What we still need to understand is if he had any of the bomb parts in his possession before he went out of the country. This is why we are tracking his movements so carefully.

“We have made a lot of progress in this with the use of CCTV and have received some really helpful calls from the public. This has led us to the Banff Road area in Rusholme.

“We have had police officers conducting house-to-house inquiries but we are still not satisfied why Abedi went there and it’s vital we understand exactly where he went there and who he spoke to in these final days before the attack.

“We need the public’s help in this. If you have previously called and have information, I would urge you to call again. We need your help as we piece together what happened in the lead-up to the attack and if Abedi was helped by anyone.”

They've said that they're really focused on why the murderer kept going to Rusholme before the attack. Still raids going on there even yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2017, 03:46:25 pm by Zeb »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #669 on: June 4, 2017, 12:44:53 am »
My road has been mad tonight. Bus pulled over across it. Armed police everywhere. Police sealing off the petrol station. Statement tonight just confirming that it was related to the Arena murders.

This morning, Sunday 4 June 2017, officers investigating the attack at the Manchester Arena are executing a warrant at a house on Princess Road, Moss Side.

Late yesterday evening, Saturday 3 June 2017, officers arrested a 20-year-old man on Cheetham Hill Road on suspicion of offences contrary to the terrorism act. As it stands 18 people have been arrested in connection with the investigation, of which six people have been released without charge.

A total of 12 men remain in custody for questioning.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #672 on: June 4, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
This is incredibly moving ...

Very difficult to watch in many ways.

The messages being read out to survivors who have lost their friends..

Fucking kids..

Edit: the speech was by Scooter Braun who I've never heard of... but it was very positive and very moving.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 07:59:02 pm by Mystic Waters »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: June 4, 2017, 08:08:22 pm »
Ariana was brilliant, but Stevie Wonder nearly had me choked there.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: June 4, 2017, 08:10:42 pm »
This is incredibly moving ...

Very difficult to watch in many ways.

The messages being read out to survivors who have lost their friends..

Fucking kids..

Edit: the speech was by Scooter Braun who I've never heard of... but it was very positive and very moving.

Yeah I can't stop thinking about the fact this was targeted at kids. Makes you realise why something like this concert is so important. It is essential kids know that we can't let these scum stop them from enjoying themselves.

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #675 on: June 4, 2017, 08:10:47 pm »
Ariana was brilliant, but Stevie Wonder nearly had me choked there.
She was indeed.  She's just a girl herself. Huge lump in my throat

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: June 4, 2017, 08:15:04 pm »
Yeah I can't stop thinking about the fact this was targeted at kids. Makes you realise why something like this concert is so important. It is essential kids know that we can't let these scum stop them from enjoying themselves.

Absolutely.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #677 on: June 4, 2017, 08:18:01 pm »
Thought the clothing worn by Little Mix was a bit over the top for this event. Everyone else wearing respectable clothing then they come out like a strippers audition.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 08:21:04 pm by Halewooder »

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: June 4, 2017, 08:20:46 pm »
Thought the clothing worm by Little Mix was a bit over the top for this event. Everyone else wearing respectable clothing then they come out like a strippers audition.
I was thinking the same ..but then thought it also played a purpose of sticking it to Isis...
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: June 4, 2017, 08:21:47 pm »
I was thinking the same ..but then thought it also played a purpose of sticking it to Isis...

Ha - was just about to post the same thing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)