Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1367601 times)

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #2920 on: January 3, 2019, 11:35:27 pm »
Thought he was ok myself but you can see the difference between Robertson/VVD on the other side.

He and Lovren need to work on their communication as Lovren was DREADFUL in cleaning up when City were in.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 11:37:24 pm by Studgotelli »

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2921 on: January 3, 2019, 11:39:06 pm »
I don’t think he played poorly at all. When fabinho came on yes that allowed the full backs to get involved further up the field leading to the goal but at 1-1 hes outnumbered on a counter attack vs aguero and sane and they end up scoring. I thought he was brave on the ball aswell in his own half a number of times. For a local lad to distance himself from the task at hand takes balls in itself especially when hes as young as he is. We’re lucky to have him and robertson for the next 10ish years barring injuries if you ask me
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #2922 on: January 3, 2019, 11:39:55 pm »
Our formation generally puts Trent in a situation where he has to deal with an overload.

He deals with it brilliantly almost every time. 

While doing that he continues to give us a quality offensive output.

He is 20 fucking years old.

Criticisms of Trent would be better directed at the formation, which see's us 4 points clear in the league in January.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online Alist0r

• Main Stander
« Reply #2923 on: January 3, 2019, 11:44:15 pm »
They overloaded his side and he was left 1v1 and 2v1 against one of the best wide players in the world on so many occasions. He was hung out to dry tactically and had way too much to deal with. I'm pretty sure that was a tactical risk by Klopp that didn't pay off, but it's absolutely bizarre to be criticising him for this performance.

I think he can improve defensively in 1v1 situations, but his performance today was absolutely fine given the situations he had to deal with.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #2924 on: January 3, 2019, 11:48:15 pm »
Do me a favour. The lads done alright. When he's in the stands against Wolves he's a hero, now not. Where's the support. TAA great young talent.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #2925 on: January 3, 2019, 11:48:41 pm »
Not a great game but seriously let down by Lovren.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2926 on: January 3, 2019, 11:48:55 pm »
We have one, Nathaniel Clyne. He’s an excellent defender, doesn’t do as much as TAA going forward but he is solid at the back.

Yea never at fault for a goal. Part of an impregnable defence. Jesus wept

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2927 on: January 3, 2019, 11:52:54 pm »
The ball for our goal was a thing of beauty

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #2928 on: January 3, 2019, 11:53:33 pm »
There's only one Wesley Pipes

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2929 on: January 4, 2019, 12:00:01 am »
Not a great game but seriously let down by Lovren.

And the midfield.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
  • PSN: WesleyP1pes
« Reply #2930 on: January 4, 2019, 12:03:54 am »
Has Trent not been a regular in the team that is leading the title race?

Same as he was a big part of us getting to the CL final.  And he’s just turned 20.

You’re talking rubbish about him, complete and utter nonsense.

So Robertson is not better than him at present? Saying that is nonsense and rubbish? Come on mate.

Pick apart my argument if you like, I’ll wait. Truth is I have said he is great going forward, but they do try and expose him for a reason, and he needs to improve defensively to be able to deal with that. He is going to have to get tougher mentally and deal with this because it will happen again, and again if he doesn’t prove that he isn’t capable of dealing with it.

I wasn’t the poster that suggested to replace him, He has a ceiling that could easily see him be the best in the world. I don’t think there is anyone in the world that could replace him at our club.

My argument still stands.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2931 on: January 4, 2019, 12:07:36 am »
Yea never at fault for a goal. Part of an impregnable defence. Jesus wept

Name me one defender that was “impregnable” prior to the Van Dijk transfer?

I think Clyne is solid in defence, don’t you?

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2932 on: January 4, 2019, 12:10:39 am »
My argument still stands.

And it’s a really bad argument. 

He’s quality now and he will be world class with a bit of time and patience.  In large part because Trent has an excellent attitude, strong mentality and outstanding character.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2933 on: January 4, 2019, 12:10:58 am »
There's only one Wesley Pipes

Hello 👋

Is there a few Kev Lumleys?

Pleasure to meet you by the way, Kev. Great game this morning, but unlucky with the goal clearance and being honest, Kompany should have walked. Hopefully this doesn’t derail our push. We were unlucky

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2934 on: January 4, 2019, 12:11:28 am »
And it’s a really bad argument. 

He’s quality now and he will be world class with a bit of time and patience.  In large part because Trent has an excellent attitude, strong mentality and outstanding character.

Needs to improve.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2935 on: January 4, 2019, 12:12:35 am »

No defender was impregnable before Van Dijk. No defender is impregnable now, including Van Dijk.

Clynes is reasonably solid, yes, but not as solid as Alexander-Arnold.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #2936 on: January 4, 2019, 12:13:38 am »
Hello 👋

Is there a few Kev Lumleys?

Pleasure to meet you by the way, Kev. Great game this morning, but unlucky with the goal clearance and being honest, Kompany should have walked. Hopefully this doesn’t derail our push. We were unlucky

Fair play, nice to meet you.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2937 on: January 4, 2019, 12:16:11 am »
Needs to improve.

And he will.

He’s just turned 20 FFS.  He’s played in a World Cup, a CL final and is an established first-team regular at a club that is four points clear at the top of the PL.

Get some perspective and learn some patience.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2938 on: January 4, 2019, 12:22:34 am »

No I don't. He regularly lost the flight of balls from set pieces but has been elevated to legend status since his injuries. He's not great going forward either.
That said he's largely dependable but I think overall 20 year old TAA is already at least as good and can only improve.  He has fuck all to do with the reason we lost tonight.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2939 on: January 4, 2019, 12:25:35 am »
And he will.

He’s just turned 20 FFS.  He’s played in a World Cup, a CL final and is an established first-team regular at a club that is four points clear at the top of the PL.

Get some perspective and some patience.

I think you merged me and that other poster and you think I’m being a lot more negative than I actually am, are you confusing me for the Doherty guy? concentrate on the “nonsense and rubbish” that I am apparently writing.

We are pretty much saying the same thing, you in a glass half full kind way and me in a glass half empty kind of way. Kudos to you, I probably need a bit of positivity in my world.

I’m still going to stand by my point that he needs to improve in situations in which teams target him, it will happen again, multiple times this season. Waiting for him to age will not help us, he will probably still be 20 when the trophy is lifted. He needs to work and improve now, on the training track, in the tactics room. 2 years time won’t help us when the Manchester clubs have spent a billion more between them. This is an important time for Liverpool.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 12:33:09 am by Wesley Pipes »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2940 on: January 4, 2019, 12:27:56 am »
Matt Doherty :lmao

I said we should sign Dummett last night and no fucker fell for it. Someone says we should look at Doherty and you all think he’s being serious.

I’ll be honest...I’m annoyed
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2941 on: January 4, 2019, 12:28:02 am »
I think tonight showed that we would do well to get another Right back.

TAA not good enough yet at the elite level. It is no wonder city focused virtually all their attacks on the right.

Perhaps a bid for Doherty? (New Andy Robertson). Should give TAA the pressure to either up his defensive game, or sit out for such games.

But clearly deficient on this level...and not showing signs of improving.

Oi what about Clyne? Is it guaranteed that he is leaving?

Online rocz189

• Main Stander
« Reply #2942 on: January 4, 2019, 12:28:36 am »
I'm really scratching my head here and a bit lost for words at what I'm reading -  1st league loss of the season after 21 games and some have pitchforks out for a young lad who did not play badly at all,  in an away game against the supposed best side the premier league has ever seen!

Suppose it was going to happen as soon as we lost that none of our players were proclaimed as good enough, Klopp picked he wrong team etc etc but fuck me, some people really need to catch on to theirselves. We did not play badly, we could've maybe played better but we were brave and competed and them city players knew they had been in a game and by christ that 20 year old right back of ours showed some balls out there against a world class attack, some times alone - maybe some of the online fan base can show a small percentage of them balls and back him and the rest of the team 100% of the time.

17 games to go and 4 points in front of the league, I think if that was offered at the start of December when we were 2 points adrift and 14 goals worse off, we all would have snatched hands, arms, any limb going off -  there aren't anymore one on one games against us for city to gain points directly now, we match their results for the rest of the season and we win. We win first they when we play first they have to suffer and we have seen how that works for them. At least let's not bottle it in the stands at the first minor set back and then rage against the team if the do lose just to 'be right on the internet'  - proper shitehouse behaviour that, and if that cap fits... wear it.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2943 on: January 4, 2019, 12:28:47 am »
Some fucking embarrassing shouts in here. Jesus

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2944 on: January 4, 2019, 12:29:17 am »
My 4000th post on here - happy for it to be one defending Trent. The lad is 20, absolutely elite level, and anybody criticising him is completely off their nut. Love Trent and proud he represents us.

He will go onto be one of the best players in the world.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2945 on: January 4, 2019, 12:31:06 am »
No I don't. He regularly lost the flight of balls from set pieces but has been elevated to legend status since his injuries. He's not great going forward either.
That said he's largely dependable but I think overall 20 year old TAA is already at least as good and can only improve.  He has fuck all to do with the reason we lost tonight.

We were unlucky tonight and Lovren is a Jekyll and Hyde defender that we can not afford, should have been improved apon 2 years ago, he isn’t our top choice anymore and injuries have forced our hand.

TAA didn’t play well tonight but you may have seen the game different. I can sometimes watch games a little too closely.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2946 on: January 4, 2019, 12:32:26 am »
You'd have to be a serious numpty to be criticising him tonight. A team and manager as fucking good as ours puts its faith in him to progress the ball forwards like a midfielder, while also defending his flank against the biggest counter threat in the league.

But some people think he 'looks weak' or 'lacks mentally' or some other weird shit. Guess he fucking deserves it for being young, the bastard

Offline simplyred84

• Holding back the years, but unfortunately not holding back the nonsense
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2947 on: January 4, 2019, 12:38:19 am »
We have to accept that he's technically excellent but not a great defender.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2948 on: January 4, 2019, 12:39:59 am »

No we don't. Ignorance is voluntary.

English football and punditry is full of this dumb idea that good at defending equals bad at attacking and vice versa.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2949 on: January 4, 2019, 12:40:54 am »

You do know he turned 20 like two months ago, right? I’m not an expert but there’s a decent chance he might be able to get better. 19 isn’t usually a defenders peak....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2950 on: January 4, 2019, 12:41:34 am »

That's not true though, he's put in some sublime performances keeping very dangerous players quite even when he's been targetted. That performance against Sane last season was outstanding and the vast majority of defenders in the world would get shown up by Sane who has pace, trickery and good reading of the game to position himself in dangerous areas AND change up his game going both inside and out

Trents one of the best young fullbacks in world football. The thing is, he's young. Poor games will happen and its all part of the learning process, he'll be a much better player for it and he'll learn from it all. The lads actually a very good defender and a lot of the positioning from him is overlooked but I couldn't tell you the sheer amount of times I notice in games we look likely to concede and up pops Trent tucking in and covering his CB's

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2951 on: January 4, 2019, 12:45:26 am »
You do know he turned 20 like two months ago, right? I’m not an expert but there’s a decent chance he might be able to get better. 19 isn’t usually a defenders peak....
Such a weird game for these critics to desperately rush out of the woodwork though. It's not like he played badly.

But even if he somehow put in a terrible performance, you have to be extremely reactionary to suddenly think "well, he can't defend" based on one game per season. It'd be like Ferguson watching peak Vidic in games against Torres and shipping him out because he 'looks weak mentally' or whatever meaningless euphemism people use to criticise him.

Some people are just weirdly dubious about talented footballers.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2952 on: January 4, 2019, 12:48:42 am »
Trents one of the best young fullbacks in world football. The thing is, he's young. Poor games will happen and its all part of the learning process, he'll be a much better player for it and he'll learn from it all. The lads actually a very good defender and a lot of the positioning from him is overlooked but I couldn't tell you the sheer amount of times I notice in games we look likely to concede and up pops Trent tucking in and covering his CB's

Yep. He's protected Gomez on numerous occasions this season. And is good at tracking his own runners in too.

As Klopp says, in England people praise the guy putting in the last ditch desperate tackles as good defending. But the good stuff TAA does gets largely ignored because he's good technically so probably can't concentrate. Then when we need a scapegoat, who better than the young lanky fullback who plays hollywood balls, the git

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2953 on: January 4, 2019, 12:49:58 am »

He's very good on both counts but hasn't found that consistency that makes you world class on either. Plays like a 20 year old at times. I remember Andy Robertsons exploits for Barcelona at that age.  (That's sarcasm)

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2954 on: January 4, 2019, 12:50:46 am »
Yep. He's protected Gomez on numerous occasions this season. And is good at tracking his own runners in too.

As Klopp says, in England people praise the guy putting in the last ditch desperate tackles as good defending. But the good stuff TAA does gets largely ignored because he's good technically so probably can't concentrate. Then when we need a scapegoat, who better than the young lanky fullback who plays hollywood balls, the git

Spot on, he's only going to get better and his attitude is fucking excellent

I don't even think he had a bad game tonight so i'm quite puzzled about the questioning of his ability. My biggest take away from the game for Trent was, what a fucking ball for Firminos goal

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2955 on: January 4, 2019, 12:50:54 am »
Such a weird game for these critics to desperately rush out of the woodwork though. It's not like he played badly.

But even if he somehow put in a terrible performance, you have to be extremely reactionary to suddenly think "well, he can't defend" based on one game per season. It'd be like Ferguson watching peak Vidic in games against Torres and shipping him out because he 'looks weak mentally' or whatever meaningless euphemism people use to criticise him.

Some people are just weirdly dubious about talented footballers.

Its bonkers

To be a great though, you need to be at your best every single game. Gerrard, Fowler, Owen, McManaman and Carragher always were. They never had any bad/average games, especially when they were 19/20.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2956 on: January 4, 2019, 12:59:03 am »
Its bonkers

To be a great though, you need to be at your best every single game. Gerrard, Fowler, Owen, McManaman and Carragher always were. They never had any bad/average games, especially when they were 19/20.

Haha it's funny you say that. Just saw a shout that TAA needs more of Carra's attitude. Guessing that poster doesn't know what his attitude was like as a twenty year old, wasn't exactly a model student off the pitch :D Or how unpopular he was with our less patient fans.

Maybe that should encourage some to appreciate what we have, and recognise how good he is currently, not to mention his potential, when compared with our fullbacks we've had that age.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2957 on: January 4, 2019, 01:04:50 am »
No we don't. Ignorance is voluntary.

Had a nice smile at that. Thanks.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2958 on: January 4, 2019, 01:05:11 am »
Haha it's funny you say that. Just saw a shout that TAA needs more of Carra's attitude. Guessing that poster doesn't know what his attitude was like as a twenty year old, wasn't exactly a model student off the pitch :D Or how unpopular he was with our less patient fans.

Maybe that should encourage some to appreciate what we have, and recognise how good he is currently, not to mention his potential, when compared with our fullbacks we've had that age.

Probably has a lot to do with how much access we have to games. Back in the day we had a game on the Saturday or Sunday, saw a replay on MOTD and that was pretty much it. Now it’s all microanalysis.

Youngsters are inconsistent, fuck even Messi was. It actually hurts my brain to see people saying we might need to look at improving on TAA at RB.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2959 on: January 4, 2019, 01:25:24 am »
Probably has a lot to do with how much access we have to games. Back in the day we had a game on the Saturday or Sunday, saw a replay on MOTD and that was pretty much it. Now it’s all microanalysis.

Youngsters are inconsistent, fuck even Messi was. It actually hurts my brain to see people saying we might need to look at improving on TAA at RB.

I hope it’s not me hurting ya brain there, lad? I’m just saying we need to deal with him being targeted, whether that be him on a personal performance level or our defense as a collective. I wasn’t the one suggesting he be replaced either, I really couldn’t honestly think of anyone that could off the top of my head, atleast not without an element of risk that we were actually downgrading. Still doesn’t mean the lad can’t improve and surely suggestion of that shouldn’t cause any harm to anyone.