Author Topic: General Athletics Thread  (Read 18073 times)

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Re: General Athletics Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2023, 08:55:19 pm »
Wow, what a final leg from the Dutch!
AHA!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2023, 08:56:20 pm »
Was about to say wow too! What a finish. And another relay bronze for GB. Smashed the medal target I think.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2023, 08:59:13 pm »
That's the second-best last minute winner I've seen today. And that was magnificent from Femke.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2023, 09:30:44 pm »
What an absolute treat this whole week has been. Some sensational performances, Bols continued redemption - some great displays from Britain - medals all over the globe. And Steve Cram is the absolute best commentator. Loved it.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: October 8, 2023, 05:22:57 pm »
Some run by Kiptum in Chicago there. Didn't think anyone would get near Kipchoge anytime soon. To take 30 odd seconds off it is nuts. Only 23 too. He'll have to go sub 2 at some point without all the Dave Brailsford flying V stuff. Mind blowing performance
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 8, 2023, 05:34:22 pm »
^ yes. Amazing. He could break 2 hours.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: October 8, 2023, 05:47:18 pm »
I assume he was wearing those new adidas that broke the women’s record the other week?

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: October 8, 2023, 06:07:54 pm »
^ Nike

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2023, 11:05:40 am »
I see Chinese state censorship is continuing to be stupid.  Now censoring the two athletes who happened to run in lanes 4 and 6 celebrating as their picture showed the number 64 - because they interpret anytthing 64 related as a direct referent to the Tiananmen Square massacre

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2024, 08:07:20 pm »
Just found out that one of the most influential athletes of all time died last year.

Dick Fosbury (March 6, 1947 – March 12, 2023)

Imagine revolutionising your sport by pioneering a technique that no one before you had ever envisioned, with every athlete after you following your footsteps.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: February 11, 2024, 11:32:05 pm »
Kelvin Kiptum has died in a car crash according to Kenyan news. So sad to think of all he had ahead of him. RIP.

https://nation.africa/kenya/sports/athletics/shock-as-world-marathon-record-holder-kiptum-coach-die-in-road-accident-4522064

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #251 on: February 11, 2024, 11:36:18 pm »
Kelvin Kiptum has died in a car crash according to Kenyan news. So sad to think of all he had ahead of him. RIP.

https://nation.africa/kenya/sports/athletics/shock-as-world-marathon-record-holder-kiptum-coach-die-in-road-accident-4522064

Oh dear. RIP. How sad
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2024, 12:02:24 am »

Devastating news. RIP

We'll also never know fast he could have been. Marathon WR at 23. Exciting talent.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2024, 02:04:58 am »
Gosh, how sad, Maybe he could have broken 2 hours, an amazing athlete RIP

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2024, 02:16:21 am »
What a shock. 24 is no age at all. Even double that age is too young. Such a shame. RIP.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2024, 04:04:19 am »
Horrific. State of the vehicle.

Really sad that RIP
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2024, 04:17:50 am »
RIP, read about that, horrific news.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2024, 09:55:53 pm »
Absolute shocker.

Without any shadow of a doubt one of the greatest sportsmen who’ll have lived. Was probably just a couple of months away from sporting immortality in Rotterdam.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2024, 05:39:40 am »

Awful news RIP.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2024, 07:07:21 am »
Horrible to hear about Kiptum. So much achieved already but so, so much potential to achieve even more. I legitimately thought he’d get the first legal sub-2, and a showdown between him and the greatest marathon runner of all time in Kipchoge was brewing for the Olympics.

Horrid news and makes you realise it can happen at any time. Thoughts are with his young family. Awful.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2024, 07:10:48 am »
On some athletics news, Josh Kerr broke the world short track (indoor) two miles record over the weekend, running 08:00 flat. Really loving the disrespect and dislike he and Ingebrigtsen are building, it’s going to be an interesting build up to the Olympics. Jakob is obviously the superior runner, but there’s something in what Kerr said; ‘he’s better than me 364 days of the year, but if that one day I’m better falls on a final, so be it.’ Essentially what happened at the world champs.

Rory Leonard ran a 03:51 mile in Monaco to become the 5th fastest Brit of all time and I believe the first British father-son pair to ever go sun 4. Callum Elson did an indoor 03:53 in Boston to qualify for worlds - this lad only properly took up running 4 years ago in his early 20s, what he’s achieved is nothing short of remarkable.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2024, 09:52:23 am »
Some elite times in the Seville marathon this morning, with the course record falling.

Phil Sesemann may just have dipped inside the Olympic qualifying time to represent GB. He’s a full time NHS doctor.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: March 3, 2024, 11:58:14 am »
Some great stuff on show at the world indoors. Couple of great displays by the Brit’s in the women’s pole vault and the men’s 3000. Kerr looks brilliant but obviously Ingibritsen not there.

Femke Bol with an absolutely insane demolition of the field in the 400m - genuinely Bolt like in the complete ease and gap in class relative to everyone else - mad she won’t be doing it in the Olympics!