Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75534 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)
« on: January 15, 2005, 03:44:53 pm »
Something is bothering me.
No, not the suspicion there's a mouse under the upstairs floorboards, or the fact that I have a week's worth of paperwork to do before Monday; what's really getting to me is our poor quality at corner kicks. It's not that we so rarely score from them, it's the fact they so rarely reach their intended target. Despite having probably the tallest centre back pairing in the League-today, at least- we do not seem to make the opportunity count.
Now, I don't have my handy OPTA almanac to hand at present, but I would hazard we have a lower 'completion' rate than our supposed rivals. We are crying out for someone-anyone- to swing that ball in and capitalise on the dead ball situation. Robert at Newcastle, for all his faults (and this is by no means a ''Let's sign Laurent!" plea thread), delivers a deadly ball that consistently- and that's the key word here- causes uncertainty, panic even, in the six yard box. Our corners by contrast seem to pose opposition defences no such problem.
Why?
In Sami-and, by reputation Pellegrino- we have two forceful headers of the ball. Their prodigious height gives them an advantage over many of their opposite numbers, yet this season the record has been unimpressive.  Too often the ball clears the incoming group, and fades to the goal line; too often the cliche that corners equal pressure, goes unproved.
Perhaps this will change with the arrival of Morientes- it was interesting today to see Riise's long throw utilised once more.  But that's only half the issue- it's not the poor attempted headres that are costing us dear, it is the poor delivery of what after all must be a training ground staple. 
We have the weapons to do the damge if a quality ball is sent over.
We are selling ourselves short.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 03:27:13 pm by royhendo »

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 03:46:23 pm »
Well, we now have the height to trouble anyone. The delivery needs to be better. I think we've scored from corners this season, but it's been poor lately.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 03:47:15 pm »
We pack the box too much at corners, and theres too many bodies.

It weird we cant seem to get bodies in enough when we have it on the flanks, but have shitloads at a corner.

Theres no space to move at corners.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline WelshSpikeyMike

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 03:48:42 pm »
Gerrard's generally shit at taking them.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 03:50:54 pm »
should be in the box, shouldn't he?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 03:53:13 pm »
the interesting thing is that we seem to be far more dangerous from free kicks, and not just the ones that get shot on goal.

the Morientes flick with his head today that he misplayed, off the chipped in free kick, was well-worked, as was the play which set up the Carra side-footer.

it looks like we are working on set pieces in training, because the free kicks are fine.

but we sort of look lost at the corners, and whomever is taking them, Gerrard, or Sinama struck one today i think, is not getting the right ball over, are they?  either headed away by the first defender or too high, making it difficult to nod the ball on target.

maybe, because we've had so many injuries, and so many new players, from the rezzies and transfers, we haven't been able to get comfortable with what we are trying to do at corners.

that doesn't sound right, though, does it, sort of making excuses... :-[

whatever needs to be done, we aren't much of a danger at corners right now, and claw, you're right, we are missing out consistently on one of the best chances to put away goals...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 04:01:18 pm »
but we sort of look lost at the corners, and whomever is taking them, Gerrard, or Sinama struck one today i think, is not getting the right ball over, are they?  either headed away by the first defender or too high, making it difficult to nod the ball on target.

maybe, because we've had so many injuries, and so many new players, from the rezzies and transfers, we haven't been able to get comfortable with what we are trying to do at corners.

whatever needs to be done, we aren't much of a danger at corners right now, and claw, you're right, we are missing out consistently on one of the best chances to put away goals...

You've put it better than I, but that's pretty much my point mate.
'Getting the ball over' is Corner Taking Year 1, Term 1 surely...and we don't seem to be able to do it.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 04:04:05 pm »
the interesting thing is that we seem to be far more dangerous from free kicks, and not just the ones that get shot on goal.

Good point. As for shooting from free-kicks, we work some nice angles, such as when Carra nearly scored at the end.

Gerrard used to score headers from corners. Flo took one good one, then overhit the next - but rather he or Luis G take them, as at least that adds Gerrard into the box.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 04:06:31 pm »
it seems to be a common theme throughout many teams this season, an inability to bea the first man with a corner.

It's not just us, a lot of teams are the same. The Mancs are as awful as we are most of the time.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 04:08:18 pm »
Gerrard is generally poor from the dead ball situation. Corners, or free-kicks, they're just not good. For some reason he can't seem to hit a dead ball the same way he can a moving ball.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 04:09:34 pm »
I don't think we do anything right at corner.

The delivery is poor and often hits the first defender.  Or it sails high and misses the far post.
We don't press the second ball at all - the amount of times the ball drops about 20 yards out and we've got no-one there is amazing.
We don't make the right runs - we stand around their 6 yard box and so get little of a run in on the incoming ball (assuming it does actually drop anywhere near where it should).

The best corner takers I've seen were Arsenal around the start of the 90s.  Bould, Adams, Keown et al would stand on the edge of the penalty area until the ball was struck - and then move en-masse in to meet the ball about 6 yards out.  Defenders couldn't get near them - and it took a brave goalie to come out and claim it to prevent a go at goal.

We've always been shite at them - wasn't there a fanzine in the 90s called "another wasted corner"?
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 04:15:17 pm »
Put one in front of the keeper and the rest stand on the edge on the area. Person taking the corner puts it into the area thats been practised on. That'll give momentum and spring to get behind it with power. Cant remember which team does it that way but always looks dangerous

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 04:20:00 pm »
people are sayin we should be ok because we got height. But, 2 of the players that have height were making their debuts, give time to work out some set pieces. The free kick near the end was good, alwasy works for chelsea.

Offline Morientes-GOAL

• Boys Pen
  • Not so good, yet very Xabi!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 04:41:38 pm »
As soon as Gerrard starts dropping the ball in the right placxes from corners, we will score many goals,; Morientes, Pelle, Hyypia and Nunez to name but a few will be a huge threat. Hopefully providing more goals
At the end of the storm, is a golden sky.

LETS KICK RACISM OUT OF FOOTBALL!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 04:43:00 pm »
As soon as Gerrard starts dropping the ball in the right placxes from corners, we will score many goals,; Morientes, Pelle, Hyypia and Nunez to name but a few will be a huge threat. Hopefully providing more goals
The question being, how long do we have to wait?

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 04:43:37 pm »
Kewell tends to take a high number of our corners, so hopefully these improve when he returns. I think we were just lost in general today - nothing seemed to have any level of organisation in open play or from set pieces (bar 1 or 2 free kicks). Does Alonso ever take corners? I would imagine that his delivery would be perfect if he were to.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 05:03:56 pm »
What's Nunez like at taking corners? If he can cross, it seems he should be taking them when he's on the pitch to allow Stevie do add to the threat in the box.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 05:07:39 pm »
The general standard of corner taking in Premiership football is atrocious. The amount of players who fail to get the ball past the near post is incredible, Gerrard included.

I think it's largely due to players trying to put too much curl and pace on the ball. Whilst these corners are very dangerous....just getting the ball into the mixer at a decent height and pace is fine.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 05:21:44 pm »
What's Nunez like at taking corners? If he can cross, it seems he should be taking them when he's on the pitch to allow Stevie do add to the threat in the box.

Gerrard should be stood 20 yards out waiting for the second ball.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 05:36:34 pm »

Even better.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 06:50:39 pm »
Gerrard can't take corners and hardly set pieces either. It may sound weird, but I don't think he has the mindset for it. Give him the ball on the bounce when on the move and he's as good as anyone in the world. Give him a dead ball situation and he's average. I want us to put him in the box, or as was said above, outside it waiting for the 2nd ball. We should use his aggression and power and we can't when he's the one to make the delivery.

It's annoying we don't have anyone who can take a good corner.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2005, 07:09:45 pm »

I think Gerrard should be 20 yards out from goal for the corner, like cole agaisnt us.
The general standard of corner taking in Premiership football is atrocious. The amount of players who fail to get the ball past the near post is incredible, Gerrard included.

I think it's largely due to players trying to put too much curl and pace on the ball. Whilst these corners are very dangerous....just getting the ball into the mixer at a decent height and pace is fine.

this is true the amount of times it happens is awful. Rooney took a good one today. He tends to just clip them to the back post.

If it is there and a fella has a good run on it you dont need stevie drivin it in. Hopefully with time it will inprove and i also wondered why nunez does not take them, though he could have had a couple of headed goals this year already if it was not for players with busy hands

Offline StressedEric

• Main Stander
  • And they will never Walk Alone.
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 07:23:48 pm »
Have we actually scored a header yet this season?
Cut me, for I bleed RED

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2005, 07:24:47 pm »
Have we actually scored a header yet this season?

bar brambles own goal we have one other.

It was Mr Kewel at villa.

Offline StressedEric

• Main Stander
  • And they will never Walk Alone.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2005, 07:26:22 pm »
Ah yes that was it. I remembered Titus's deadly finish, but couldn't think of any others.

Ta
Cut me, for I bleed RED

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2005, 11:35:22 pm »
Let Nunez take them when he's on the pitch IMO.

If not, then I'm stumped as to who can take them, maybe Riise/Alonso? Certainly not Gerrard anymore, delivery is very poor, even by premiership standards.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline singaporered

• Kopite
  • Anyone that plays for me should be a bad loser
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2005, 03:29:35 am »
yesterday when we had corners the only player making a run-up was Morientes.
What man believes, man can achieve

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2005, 03:39:40 am »
i think in general a lot of teams are bad at corners. they are so well defended now it near to impossible to score from them. i cant remember the last time we scored from one

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2005, 01:12:30 pm »
Gary Mac was superb at taking corners, I don't think we have replaced him with a really decent corner taker. We need to offer a variation from what we produce at the moment, at least we seem to have done away with having ten men back in our penalty box when a visiting team has a corner kick.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2005, 01:27:52 pm »
Good point about Gary Mac. Always felt something would happen when he put the ball in, and that's lacking now.
So is it a question of perfecting it on the training ground, or looking for someone who can deliver a proper dead ball?

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 01:44:25 pm »
Let Nunez take them when he's on the pitch IMO.

the problem i see with that is it restricts our  threat in the box..

SG shouldnt be taking them, as mentioned he should be standing 20/25 yds out waiting for the "2nd ball"
Would also like to see JAr waiting just outside the box for the same reason
Leave, Sami, Pelle ,Mori  and baros in the box

Carra and Didi marking their striker

so that leaves

Djimi,and Garcia

JFT 96

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 01:51:01 pm »
Probably a bit of both?

I wouldn't have Gerard taking our corners [even though he is probably our best corner taker] I'd have him on the edge of the box [1] to attack the corner with his head and/or [2] to thunder it in if the ball is knocked out by their defence.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 02:11:38 pm »
the problem i see with that is it restricts our  threat in the box..

True Nunez is a good header of the ball but I'd rather quality delivery for 4 players to attack (Baros, Morientes, Pellegrino, Sami for example) than a half hearted floated ball into the box for an extra player to attack
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 02:12:40 pm »
Exactly- there's no point having big lads who can attack the ball in the box, if it doesn't get there in the first place.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Why are our corners so shit?
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2005, 08:16:38 am »
The obvious answer, of course, is because Stevie G takes them all, and isn't (never has been) a good kicker of a dead ball. He can smack a rolling ball, and can play a 50 yeard pass on the spur of the moment, but I've rarely, if ever, seen Stevie deliver either a decent free kick (where he's taking thee free rather than running on to an already taken one) or corner.

With a fairly tall side, and in Morientes, Kewell, Hyppia and a few more, many good headers of the ball in our side, surely we should be making more use of these by actually getting someone who CAN take corners to take them?

It could even BE someone you could otherwise think should be in the box (look at the excellent corners taken by hasselbaink for chelsea last year) as at least the ball getting a good delivery gives us some chance to score, wheras the current standard of "apex restarts" simply concede possesion we've worked hard to get, and make no use of a promising dead ball situation, and a weapon other teams use to their advantage so much better than us.

Do we HAVE any decent corner takers?
Anyone who CAN deliver an accurate flighted dead ball?
Even someone who can occassionally beat the first man?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline dermo

• Anny Roader
  • Our's to keep! Its comming home.....
Re: Why are our corners so shit?
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2005, 08:26:29 am »
Agree with you 100%. Although there was one Corner in the first half where the ball bwa plaed in to Mori who then flicked it back to Rise who tried to pelt it with his left foot. It was nearly class and completley fooled the Defence.

Some of the oriognal stuff Rafa is trying looks briliant. Same can be said of our other set pieces.

Three times last night Stevie put the ball in from a corner and it was cleared by the first defender at the near post with ease!

Still the creativity is good to see!
"me fail English.....that unpossible!" Ralph Wiggim

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2005, 08:28:49 am »
At least we have seen something original on occasions this season.
Last nights gerrard - morientes combo was a nice move and only let down by riise' poor finish.
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2005, 08:29:43 am »
We only ever had Murphy and Gary Mac.
When they weren't playing it was just like now.
Surely someone should be practicing till midnight eveyday to perfect a dead ball /corner kick.
How come pointed questions recieve blunt answers

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2005, 08:38:04 am »
We dominated Europe by being shit at corners.  Lets hope we can do that again.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2005, 08:38:04 am »
Granted there has been some variety in our corners this year. However, how about the simple cross in the box. Last night Stevie never managed to get one decnt ball into the box from a corner. I believe Riise did.

I would like to see Stevie around the outside of the box as we all know he can strike a ball if one bounces loose, and with Morientes it may be worth allowing Riise to float a few in.