Author Topic: Chromecast  (Read 32635 times)

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
Chromecast
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:42:24 pm »
Anyone else got one of these things? Just picked mine up today for £30 & its brill. Stream practically anything to your TV.
So now armed with Movie4k, Zenmate & this little beauty I can watch films to my hearts content!!   ;D

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Chromecast
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:13:16 pm »
yes, love mine, would recommend downloading Localcast too

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:20:32 pm »
Is that to allow streaming from your phone?

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:02:52 am »
It just allows streaming of practically anything. I think presently not everything really supports Chromecast so it's a decent temporary solution for steaming AVI,MP4,WMV etc until the good apps work with it. Plus it's free so :D

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:35:40 am »
Suppose this is handy if you wanna watch footy on the tv, open it in chrome and it mirrors to any tv its plugged into?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:42:16 am »
Suppose this is handy if you wanna watch footy on the tv, open it in chrome and it mirrors to any tv its plugged into?

If it plays fine on a tablet or Phone in fullscreen it should work fine on Chromecast. Plus1HD uses a crap streaming method so stutters at full screen on my Android phone and tablet. Fixed next season apparently.....not tried other sites though

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:05:10 am »
yes, love mine, would recommend downloading Localcast too

Thanks for this recommendation. Just tried it and it is streaming from my NAS drive perfectly.

I picked up a Chromecast yesterday. I did have a minor issue when trying to stream from a Chrome tab on my browser using the Chromecast extension (getting a pink low res screen), but fixed it by turning off hardware acceleration in the advanced settings in Chrome.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:14:46 am »
Xbmc doesn't work through this does it?

Offline Thush

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:09:08 am »
I think Yatse as a remote for XBMC has Chromecast support now.

Play Store link

What's New
4.0.1/2/3 : Bug Fixes
* Offline media
* Internal audio player
* Chromecast support for stream To (Stream plugin 2.0)
* Muzei extension
* Complete polish of design
* Subtitles streaming for Mx Player from Gotham (See Wiki for details)
* Major internal rewrite for speed and stability

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:21:44 am »
Sounds good this.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 12:01:28 pm »
Xbmc doesn't work through this does it?

Do you mean XBMC running on the chromecast itself? If so then no.

I currently use a Pi running RaspBMC and it serves all my footy streaming and media needs. Depending on the price, though, I might switch to an android stick PC at some point.

Offline Thush

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 12:17:04 pm »
I don't think things "run on" the Chromecast itself though. You need apps, either on your phone, tablet or computer, to send links of content to the Chromecast dongle. So, as time goes by, more and more apps with have Chromecast support added to them.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »
I don't think things "run on" the Chromecast itself though. You need apps, either on your phone, tablet or computer, to send links of content to the Chromecast dongle. So, as time goes by, more and more apps with have Chromecast support added to them.

That is how I understood it to work.

In which case why not just buy an android stick for just a few extra £ ?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:40 pm »
Yeah I didn't mean on the chromecast itself. Just meant is it possible to stream from xbmc on a nexus (for example) to a tv using the chromecast device

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »
Do you mean XBMC running on the chromecast itself? If so then no.

I currently use a Pi running RaspBMC and it serves all my footy streaming and media needs. Depending on the price, though, I might switch to an android stick PC at some point.

If you want your Pi running faster try out OpenElec running off a USB3 stick. I changed to it from RaspBMC and it is well worth a fiver for the stick. It also means you can overclock the Pi to turbo. Some guides and downloads here

http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/project/raspberry-pi-install-openelec-to-usb/

http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/project/raspberry-pi-overclocking-the-config-txt-file/

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »
If you want your Pi running faster try out OpenElec running off a USB3 stick. I changed to it from RaspBMC and it is well worth a fiver for the stick. It also means you can overclock the Pi to turbo. Some guides and downloads here

http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/project/raspberry-pi-install-openelec-to-usb/

http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/project/raspberry-pi-overclocking-the-config-txt-file/

Will look into it.

I currently use RaspMBC overclocked running off a usb stick. Is OpenElec really that much faster?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 01:15:10 pm »
Will look into it.

I currently use RaspMBC overclocked running off a usb stick. Is OpenElec really that much faster?

The USB and overclocking probably make the biggest difference to be honest. If you are already doing that I am surprised you are looking to replace it though.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 01:40:33 pm »
Odd, but chrome android version isn't yet supported, so can't yet stream footy through the tv

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 02:11:31 pm »
The USB and overclocking probably make the biggest difference to be honest. If you are already doing that I am surprised you are looking to replace it though.

It is not definite. But with my movies library not getting any smaller I am just considering future options; something with a better CPU and more RAM ( I have a first release Pi with only 256MB. Maybe a new 512MB Pi is the next step ? )

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 04:38:15 pm »
Odd, but chrome android version isn't yet supported, so can't yet stream footy through the tv

Install chrome beta, then you can send any html5 video to it. Won't work for live online footy/ news source
http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/enable-chromecast-streaming-in-latest-chrome-beta-for-android/

Also for Andoid, install show box app. (its the same app as movie box on iOS).
And avia media player (costs £1.86 in app to unlock chromecast ability).
In show box, uncheck "use internal player", it will then ask which media player to use. Select avia and from there you can chromeast the latest movies and tv shows.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 05:55:42 pm »

Thanks! So will I ever be able to use this for footy?

Really pleased with this chromecast thing on the whole

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:27 pm »
picked one up today.

loving it so far.

worth it for google play music through my tele hence my stereo remotely to be honest.

installed plex but need to play about with it for a while till i get the hang of it.

like how it imports artwork a star rating and a synopsis to the films you have ripped from torrents.  8)

just need to figure out, if possible how it all ends up there automatically without having to fanny about with it.
poetry in motion

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:26:52 am by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 11:59:04 am »
JWplayer, which a few of the footy streaming sites use has added chromecast support but it's only on a very few sites so far as it's still not ready for general consumption

hopefully when they do roll it out the sites that use it will offer support
STFU and agree with me.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 11:10:17 pm »
Ordered mine today. Free film thrown in. Bonus. Google offering credit towards movie rentals with British Chromecast http://www.androidcentral.com/google-offering-credit-towards-movie-rentals-british-chromecast

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 09:53:49 am »
There are loads of Raspberry Pi XBMC sticks for about £60 on eBay.... Would they be better than Chromecast?
Or even just the Android sticks?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-Media-Centre-WiFi-Raspberry-Pi-IR-Remote-XBMC-OpenElec-IceFilms-SportsDevil-/231196165819?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item35d45d86bb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Droibox-MX-Android-4-2-Dual-Core-Smart-TV-Box-XBMC-Media-Player-Network-Streamer-/200926945981?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_VideoSwitches_SM&hash=item2ec82de2bd

From what I have read there is nothing Chromecast can do that either of those can't and, more importantly, those 2 can do whatever the Chromecast can far easier.

I have a Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC ( plugged into back of our main TV) and it plays 1080p rips from my NAS, football streams and iPlayer and the like effortlessly.

Offline Stag Beetle

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27:00 am »
From what I have read there is nothing Chromecast can do that either of those can't and, more importantly, those 2 can do whatever the Chromecast can far easier.

I have a Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC ( plugged into back of our main TV) and it plays 1080p rips from my NAS, football streams and iPlayer and the like effortlessly.

Is that the 256MB or 512MB version? I installed RaspBMC on my 256MB model a while back and it didn't seem to work that great.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:40 am »
Is that the 256MB or 512MB version? I installed RaspBMC on my 256MB model a while back and it didn't seem to work that great.

I have a 256MB one and it is fine - I also use homeplugs rather than wifi/full ethernet.

Offline Il Conte

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: May 7, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »
Anyone know if the Chromecast can output 50hz? Would mostly use it to stream footy and really want to avoid 50/60 conversion judder.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 7, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »
Bought one of these today. Any advice on how to get the best out of it on android?

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #30 on: May 8, 2014, 12:52:02 pm »
I asked in the the Google Chrome thread but no luck so I'll try here. I'm currently messing around with Google Chromecast and I've worked out that you can play local mp4 files in chrome but not .avi files, though some mp4 files only play the audio with no picture. Any ideas how I can get all video files playing in Chrome, so that I can Chromecast the page on my TV?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 8, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »
if you want to play a video file in chrome and send it to your tv then just drag the video file into chrome and select cast to tv 

i've no idea what the quality is like and some audio  may not be supporting
STFU and agree with me.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 12:12:32 pm »
I bought one of these recently - there is an offer of 4.99 credit to your Google Play account in the UK (must be bought in the UK too).

I found (as did many others) that the 4.99 credit offer wasn't apparent (you check a weblink when you've got the chromecast up and running to initiate the offer) - however, if anyone else is in the same position, Google have now resolved this for me - you need to post a message on this forum and they'll get back to you:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/chromecast/KfuAZ7Jldq4

Alternatively, to save waiting, you might try filling in this form that they eventually sent to me (and presumably others on this thread) - might still work:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Xf_GC5l7S-qrlV30U9LjqLXgn0AIuhQe5ZajHnMjU8g/viewform

Cheers

Dan

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »
For me, it's worth £30 alone to be able to slam Father Ted onto the big screen.
Was about to pay for it on Google Play when I realised it's on 4od. going to rip our Fawlty towers DVDs too.
Just think what it'll be like when I get to telly made this century!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:15 pm »
Anyone else keep getting the 16003 error message when using with netflix via android?  I get it every time and have to do a factory reset to make it work again

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 06:05:50 pm »
I asked in the the Google Chrome thread but no luck so I'll try here. I'm currently messing around with Google Chromecast and I've worked out that you can play local mp4 files in chrome but not .avi files, though some mp4 files only play the audio with no picture. Any ideas how I can get all video files playing in Chrome, so that I can Chromecast the page on my TV?
if you want to play a video file in chrome and send it to your tv then just drag the video file into chrome and select cast to tv 

This only works with a few files, most of them just download to my desktop after dragging them into Chrome.

Any more ideas?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 06:52:53 pm »
I bought one of these as the guy in Currys assured me that I could cast the Google Nexus 7 (first edition) on to the TV screen for Debs so she would benefit from a bigger screen.
Imagine my surprise to find out that it doesn't work with the Nexus 7. I even rang up Google and was told that they are looking to make it work at some point in the future....

Does anyone know how I can get the Nexus 7 to display on the TV so Debs would have a 32inch screen instead of the 7inch?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Thush

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 07:35:15 pm »
It works fine on my N7. Have you downloaded the Chromecast app? That sets up the Chromecast from your N7. Then you need to download something like EZCast or LocalCast to stream media on your tablet or a media server like BubbleUPnP (free) or Plex (0.69p) to stream files from a network drive.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »
It works fine on my N7. Have you downloaded the Chromecast app? That sets up the Chromecast from your N7. Then you need to download something like EZCast or LocalCast to stream media on your tablet or a media server like BubbleUPnP (free) or Plex (0.69p) to stream files from a network drive.
I want Chrome to display on the TV screen so that Debs can browse the Net whilst looking at the TV screen and not the N7 screen....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »
i can tell you that searching the net using a tablet as a keyboard works awfully, you get fed up constantly having to look between devices and just send up using the tablet for everything
STFU and agree with me.