Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868178 times)

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7840 on: August 27, 2019, 05:36:56 pm »
Due an upgrade, no idea what phone to get. Currently got iPhone 7. 8 doesn't impress me much and I'm think a change from iPhone.

I only use my phone for work/emails social media, music and occasionally to watch football on. Any recommendations? I've looked at Huewai P30, Samsung and Sony Experia and it confused me more.

They all seem very similar to me.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #7841 on: August 27, 2019, 11:24:37 pm »
Due an upgrade, no idea what phone to get. Currently got iPhone 7. 8 doesn't impress me much and I'm think a change from iPhone.

I only use my phone for work/emails social media, music and occasionally to watch football on. Any recommendations? I've looked at Huewai P30, Samsung and Sony Experia and it confused me more.

They all seem very similar to me.

I've been using the Nokia 8 for the last 15 months, decent stock android phone with   no bloatware apps and I get regular updates. Not sure what the latest Nokia is but I've been really pleased with mine
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7842 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:06 am »
Not looked at Nokia. Will have a look.

I’m currently torn between a Google Pixel 3 and the Huewai pro 30.

SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7843 on: August 28, 2019, 11:59:57 am »
I've been using the Nokia 8 for the last 15 months, decent stock android phone with   no bloatware apps and I get regular updates. Not sure what the latest Nokia is but I've been really pleased with mine

Latest Nokia is the X71 I believe...

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_x71-9652.php

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7844 on: August 29, 2019, 10:54:03 am »
Get a LG v40 thinq for 400....   Very good display, battery life, design...

Audio is out of the world with quad dac. If you have a decent pair of sennheisers or audio-technicas, the difference in sound quality is massive, especially with high bit rate music. Every note, chord and beat will be distinct and clear, with amazing separation.  As an audiophile, this phone is my favourite now.  The best part?  No shitty USB type c headphones or even crappier bluetooth ones, this HAS a 3.5 mm port..

Camera is good and its API is accessible to third party apps so you can choose from a multitude of great apps if you don't like LGs default camera app. Processor is the Snapdragon 845, plenty fast for anything out there and more, even if it has been superseded by the Snapdragon 855 now.   Also, it has expandable memory, another plus imo.

Only con is that LG is slow with software version updates. But it doesn't matter really. I use my Marshmallow LG v20 as a third phone now and i can install and run everything, no issues. That phone came out in 2016.

Also check out the Xperia 1 too. Expensive but top class phone.  Display is 4K OLED, which is sharper than any other phone out there.  It has the latest Snapdragon 855 too, which is even faster than the 845.   Ordinary cameras though, which is a pity.

Don't buy apple!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:58:07 am by "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan! »
Phuk yoo

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7845 on: August 29, 2019, 11:35:55 am »

Whats happening with Huewai anyway? Now they're saying they won't come with Google maps

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7846 on: August 29, 2019, 12:45:04 pm »
Whats happening with Huewai anyway? Now they're saying they won't come with Google maps

They will be allowed to use Android OS (its open source). But wont have access to any Google apps (Maps, App store and YouTube). My guess is they with either come up with an OS of their own with similar features or a 3rd party app store to provide apps for their new phones. Only problem with 3rd party apps is that they wont get the same update support and will be prone to virus/malware.

Until the trade war between China and USA ends I would stay way clear of new Huewai phones (old ones should be keeping Google support)

Huewai also lock their bootloader so going down the root/ROM flash route is out

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7847 on: August 30, 2019, 10:50:35 am »

P30 was released before all the hassle so has full access to everything still. I think the newer models will be somewhat limited. Huewai P30 Camera is absolutely insane!

Anyways, I went with a google Pixel 3a in the end. Much cheaper  than the Huewai and it'll benefit me more with work and having a google account. Hopefully pick it up Monday.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7848 on: August 30, 2019, 02:38:25 pm »

Pixel 4 will be out shortly so prices on the 3 & 3XL will drop if you wait on those.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7849 on: August 30, 2019, 04:33:04 pm »
P30 was released before all the hassle so has full access to everything still. I think the newer models will be somewhat limited. Huewai P30 Camera is absolutely insane!

Anyways, I went with a google Pixel 3a in the end. Much cheaper  than the Huewai and it'll benefit me more with work and having a google account. Hopefully pick it up Monday.

Ooh I was looking at a 3a, you'll have to shout after a few weeks, let us know how it is :)

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7850 on: August 30, 2019, 05:17:49 pm »
Pixel 4 will be out shortly so prices on the 3 & 3XL will drop if you wait on those.

I’ll see how I get on, my contract will be 20gb a month, unlimited texts and calls, 100EU minutes and sky sports entertainment package for £33. £10 cheaper than my iPhone 7 where I only had 5gb.

Ooh I was looking at a 3a, you'll have to shout after a few weeks, let us know how it is :)

Will do, I’m quite excited. The store assistant had one and let me have a proper play on theirs and showed me a few hidden tops with it. First time away from iPhone for a long time.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7851 on: September 7, 2019, 08:30:47 pm »
Got my phone. Well chuffed with it.

Can't download appvalley though, not used Android before and struggling with downloading it.

SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7852 on: September 8, 2019, 06:21:54 pm »
Still love my Mi9

Installed Always On Edge Lighting.. it's well cool, you can configure the corners of the screen (or anything really) to show whatever colour you like when you get a notification (no idea why they called it Always On!)

REALLY useful for Android phones with a notch, or an edge so thin there's no "proper" notification light - on an AMOLED screen, the rest of the screen won't light, so you'll just get a (for example) moving thin green outline of the screen for Whatsapp (I've got Gmail red, Whatsapp green, texts and calls blue)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7853 on: November 14, 2019, 08:30:44 am »
Just got myself a realme x2 Pro.

Reading up on the specs and the price it really was a no brainer.

Snapdragon 855+
12GB RAM
256GB
90Hz display
£443

Run under the same umbrella as Oneplus and OPPO so theres no issue with the build quality.

The 90Hz display is incredible. So smooth.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7854 on: November 15, 2019, 07:47:39 am »
Fantastic value for money....  The high refresh rate OLED display is great for media consumption.  Has a 3.5 mm port as well as an SD card slot.

I recently bought a realme XT and am very happy with it.  They have a good range of phones that are very competitively priced. 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:51:23 am by "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan! »
Phuk yoo

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7855 on: November 26, 2019, 10:26:20 am »
Anyone ever had the issue of their charger port burning? Happened yesterday on my Samsung A50. Put the cable in, got a message saying it’s overheating and sure enough my phone was absolutely red hot. Checked the charging port as I smelt a burning plastic smell and it’s partially melted off the plastic and affected the port, so can’t charge it now. Not sure if this will be covered under Samsung warranty.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7856 on: November 26, 2019, 10:41:30 am »
Anyone ever had the issue of their charger port burning? Happened yesterday on my Samsung A50. Put the cable in, got a message saying it’s overheating and sure enough my phone was absolutely red hot. Checked the charging port as I smelt a burning plastic smell and it’s partially melted off the plastic and affected the port, so can’t charge it now. Not sure if this will be covered under Samsung warranty.
bloody well should be
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7857 on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:23 pm »
If I was to get the p30 pro would there be any worries on receiving updates from the play store? I know it’s going to get android 10 but will it get app updates after that?
i wouldn’t be taking no for an answer when returning it. I’d also be weary of getting the same phone again.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #7858 on: November 28, 2019, 11:15:05 am »
Just got myself a realme x2 Pro.

Reading up on the specs and the price it really was a no brainer.

Snapdragon 855+
12GB RAM
256GB
90Hz display
£443

Run under the same umbrella as Oneplus and OPPO so theres no issue with the build quality.

The 90Hz display is incredible. So smooth.

How's life with the new phone? I have been looking at the One Plus 7T Pro but the x2 specs look great so may consider that too.

Main questions would be battery life and camera? How does the battery hold up with the 90Hz display?
JFT97

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7859 on: November 28, 2019, 12:48:42 pm »
How's life with the new phone? I have been looking at the One Plus 7T Pro but the x2 specs look great so may consider that too.

Main questions would be battery life and camera? How does the battery hold up with the 90Hz display?

Absolutely made up with it. I've got my phone set to permanent 90Hz which does drain it fast but it looks so much smoother set that way. But when I say drains it fast I mean hitting the high 20% by the end of the day with semi-moderate use (NFC and GPS on and screen brightness set to about 60%).

But something I didn't mention was the 50W charger that comes with it that charges the phone 0-100% in 30 mins. That is beyond incredible. You can plug it in and it shows an animation of it charging in real time.

I came home from work at 5 and my phone was at about 30%. Plugged it in by the time I left for the match at around half 5 it was fully charged and ready to go again.

I'm probably not one to talk about the camera as I'm not massively into photography. But the camera has all the flagship specs you expect. 64MP photos, wide angle lens, 2x optical, 20x digital zooms, 4K 60fps video, motion stabilisation etc. Took a few at the match yesterday and I was more than happy with the results.

Only thing holding it back right now is that it is still only Android 9 with 10 to come in March next year.

But considering I paid £550 for my OnePlus 5T 2 years ago and was considering the £700+ cost of a top range OnePlus 7 (or T) and only paid £443 for this it really is a no brainer.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:56:00 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #7860 on: November 29, 2019, 11:57:46 am »
Nice one, thank you for the info. Always better to hear from someone using the phone. The specs look insane for the price.
JFT97

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7861 on: November 29, 2019, 12:02:46 pm »
What mobile phone?

The cheapest one that does the job.

I've had the same smart phone for over 10 years, still does all I need, still holds charge well.

Cost £30
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:04:24 pm by Sudden Death Draft Loser »
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7862 on: November 29, 2019, 12:04:08 pm »

But considering I paid £550 for my OnePlus 5T 2 years ago and was considering the £700+ cost of a top range OnePlus 7 (or T) and only paid £443 for this it really is a no brainer.

:o

Only!
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7863 on: November 29, 2019, 01:32:29 pm »
:o

Only!

When you compare it to the latest phones like the Oneplus, Samsung and Iphones that are now £800-£1000 it is extremely good value

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7864 on: December 18, 2019, 08:21:31 am »
I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy J5, i've had it 3 & a half years it's been good, it but internal memory is shit, it's 8gb but nearly 4gb used by system memory, so only have just over 4gb free memory, so issues updating apps that i use because lack of memory  :(  feel it's time for a new mobile, needs to be sim free, my budget is up to £160, i'm looking at Samsung Galaxy A10 or A20, there's an A10 i like the look of, it's £127 on Amazon, in red too :) helps one of my mates has an A10 too.

Some of the tech details
Screen size 6.2 inches
3400mah battery
32gb memory
#Sausages

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #7865 on: December 18, 2019, 01:25:35 pm »
I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy J5, i've had it 3 & a half years it's been good, it but internal memory is shit, it's 8gb but nearly 4gb used by system memory, so only have just over 4gb free memory, so issues updating apps that i use because lack of memory  :(  feel it's time for a new mobile, needs to be sim free, my budget is up to £160, i'm looking at Samsung Galaxy A10 or A20, there's an A10 i like the look of, it's £127 on Amazon, in red too :) helps one of my mates has an A10 too.

Some of the tech details
Screen size 6.2 inches
3400mah battery
32gb memory
bought my daughter the A40 for crimbo. Good specs for the price. Like you the main reason for the upgrade is the internal memory. The A40 comes with 64GB and is priced at £220.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7866 on: December 18, 2019, 01:50:03 pm »
bought my daughter the A40 for crimbo. Good specs for the price. Like you the main reason for the upgrade is the internal memory. The A40 comes with 64GB and is priced at £220.

£220 is too much for me can afford up to £160, which is why i'm looking at the A10 for £127.

The internal memory is 8gb on my J5 with half of that is taken up by the system memory, i already have a 32gb external sd card which is inserted into the phone, seems you can't some apps onto sd card.
#Sausages

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7867 on: December 18, 2019, 03:21:17 pm »
£220 is too much for me can afford up to £160, which is why i'm looking at the A10 for £127.

The internal memory is 8gb on my J5 with half of that is taken up by the system memory, i already have a 32gb external sd card which is inserted into the phone, seems you can't some apps onto sd card.
Moto G7 is great for the price. G7 Play if you want an even cheaper version.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7868 on: December 18, 2019, 04:43:43 pm »
#Sausages

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7869 on: December 18, 2019, 04:59:39 pm »
Interesting had a quick look, i'm looking at this one sounds good
https://www.amazon.co.uk/motorola-6-2-Inch-Android-Sim-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07N8LY9BS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=motorola+g7+mobile+phone&qid=1576687211&s=telephone&sr=1-1
Lower resolution screen than the normal G7 but a bigger battery. Depends what's more important to you. Might be able to get it a bit cheaper elsewhere.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7870 on: December 18, 2019, 05:26:00 pm »
Lower resolution screen than the normal G7 but a bigger battery. Depends what's more important to you. Might be able to get it a bit cheaper elsewhere.

Yep, i'm still looking at the Samsung Galaxy A10,  do like the Samsungs
#Sausages

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7871 on: December 18, 2019, 08:50:41 pm »
I do have a year old unlocked Oneplus 5T 128GB with a pristine screen for sale but looking for £200

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7872 on: December 21, 2019, 08:49:32 am »
Anyone with an S10 have issues with fast charging? Phone wont fast charge anymore for some reason, tried all the fixes and nothing work.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7873 on: December 21, 2019, 06:31:14 pm »
Anyone with an S10 have issues with fast charging? Phone wont fast charge anymore for some reason, tried all the fixes and nothing work.

Sounds like the charger. Tried a different one ?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7874 on: December 22, 2019, 09:09:11 am »
Sounds like the charger. Tried a different one ?

I'm having similar issues with my (admittedly two years old) one plus 5.

The manufacturer want me to send it to them, a new charger from them would set me back about £50.

May just hang on until the new year and wait (hopefully) for my bonus

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7875 on: December 22, 2019, 09:11:20 pm »
I moved from Oneplus as their reliance on shitty physical charing has worn out 2 phones in a row from them

Xiaomi Mi 9 now, best phone I've ever owned. Wireless charging, and if I must used wired the 2 day battery (I am rooted but you don't have to be) charges in half an hour

Oneplus are done.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7876 on: December 22, 2019, 11:04:41 pm »
I moved from Oneplus as their reliance on shitty physical charing has worn out 2 phones in a row from them

Xiaomi Mi 9 now, best phone I've ever owned. Wireless charging, and if I must used wired the 2 day battery (I am rooted but you don't have to be) charges in half an hour

Oneplus are done.

Had the 3 and 5T. Both had to go back due to screen burn. The servicing was very good (there, repaired and returned in less than a week)

But the move to the higher end of pricing was the finisher for me. Paying £700+ for a phone is just not something I can think about.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7877 on: January 12, 2020, 12:48:56 am »
My contract is up in a month, I have the Razer Phone, and I love it, still works perfectly after 2 years, I've been waiting on an announcement for the Razer Phone 3, to no avail, I've been exploring alternatives, I like the look of THE ROG II phone, but it doesn't have any UK carriers, so I'm a bit in limbo, I'm not a big phone gamer, but once you've had 120hz on your phone, you really can't go back, any recommendations at all?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7878 on: January 12, 2020, 09:06:54 am »
My contract is up in a month, I have the Razer Phone, and I love it, still works perfectly after 2 years, I've been waiting on an announcement for the Razer Phone 3, to no avail, I've been exploring alternatives, I like the look of THE ROG II phone, but it doesn't have any UK carriers, so I'm a bit in limbo, I'm not a big phone gamer, but once you've had 120hz on your phone, you really can't go back, any recommendations at all?

Keep your existing phone and go SIM only? It is what I'd do.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7879 on: January 13, 2020, 07:17:23 am »

Rog phone 2 is brilliant. Not just coz its a gaming phone with ridiculously powerful innards, it has a lot of other cool stuff.

The only phone with 2 USB ports. You have cool accessories that you can buy to add more features to your phone. 

It also supports hardware video output so you can use it as a portable console without latency issues.  Emulators are bloody good on this.  My colleague has one and he plays PSP games on it all the time.
Phuk yoo