Author Topic: Aston Villa at Anfield. 3pm Sat 10/4.  (Read 9694 times)

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Aston Villa at Anfield. 3pm Sat 10/4.
« on: April 9, 2021, 07:01:35 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Not sure if I missed the memo about stopping pre match threads but I have always enjoyed reading and participating and so here goes.
Villa are a team I have some good memories of. Best of all was taking the afternoon off work and watching us beat them to win the league. Think it was early May 1980. It was level at half time then Avi Cohen scored and we went on to win 4-1. We were all bevies having had the afternoon drinking in the Scottie Rd pubs. Our spec was behind a crash barrier about one third of the way back in the Kop, behind the left goal post. My mate was feeling rough after half time so ducked down under the barrier to get the pocket of air. Cohen scored, the Kop went mad and the kids sitting on the barrier jumped down and landed on him. Are you reading Dizzy Diamond?
Moving to more recent events. We got torn apart by them away and I suppose that was a taste of what has been a difficult few months for us. They certainly exposed our high line and lack of effective pressing and Grealish particularly played through us time and again. A low point in a mixed season at best so far.
After three good wins in the league we played poorly on Tuesday and could hardly string a passing move together. We all know Anfield has not been a happy  hunting ground recently and I am sure we fans are being missed.
Milner was good against Arsenal and deserves a recall. Back five will be the same and I suspect Mane is on the bench (I said that on Tuesday, he started and again looked not quite right). Thiago and Fabinho are likely to make up the starting XI imho.
Grealish is as far as I know still possible for them. If not, he will be a big miss for them. They are solid defensively but seem to lack a spark without him and only won their last game with a late rally.
I see us winning and keeping us in the run for top four. 2-0 is my prediction.
Thoughts?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Aston Villa at Anfield. 3pm Sat 10/4.
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2021, 07:32:54 am »
It's fine Roger mate, I think the posters that have been carrying the weight all season have understandably grew weary.

I see a Liverpool win also. I'll see an empty stadium again also. YNWA.

Up the fucking Reds.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2021, 07:41:57 am »
Still can't believe we lost 7-2. Guess the car crash of a season at times has kind of just pushed it in to just being one of many things as opposed to the one terrible result though.

Not expecting many changes. Firmino, Milner and Thiago I imagine will be the ones who might come back in. Hopefully a different attitude and performance to mid week.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2021, 07:47:28 am »
Will be a tough game. Most likely a draw.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2021, 08:26:02 am »
Go with the same team that are likely to play against Madrid next Wednesday, give them a warm-up game together.

So for me it would be the same team but with Thiago in for Keita and maybe Jones in for Wijnaldum.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2021, 08:40:24 am »
Grealish ruled out for them i believe. I would like to see Thiago, Jones, Bobby, Tsimikas all come in. Going by Tuesday night, rotation is going to be important for us as we are clearly on our ass.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2021, 08:45:14 am »
A win would be great
Hopefully a reaction from midweek

Hopefully a reaction from earlier in this season. They battered us....I'd like us to show that it pissed us off and we want to put it right.

I just want to see us not accept losing points again to be honest

We are better than them even with a depleted squad. Show it
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 9, 2021, 09:42:46 am »
Big game, would be nice to do our job then spend the weekend seeing if the rest fuck up. Would be good to see Tsimikas get a go, obviously it's always awkward changing your defence when you are already missing all your CB's but Robbo has been struggling for months and I'm amazed we haven't broken him yet. If there's no Grealish there's really little excuse for not beating these though probably said similar about every home game we've lost lately!

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 9, 2021, 10:32:55 am »

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #9 on: April 9, 2021, 10:46:56 am »
Whatever team we put out, Fabinho, Thiago and Salah have to be in it, otherwise for me we’re taking too much of a risk in a must win fixture.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 9, 2021, 10:50:05 am »
https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1380452710554697730

Grealish still out.

Great news, wasn't looking forward to him ripping Trent and Phillips to shreds on that right side.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11 on: April 9, 2021, 10:54:57 am »
As KH says, that's great news.

Wasn't looking forward to PL winning, CL winning, Ballon Dor nominated right back Trent Alexander Arnold coming up against Jack Grealish.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 9, 2021, 10:57:41 am »

Wasn't looking forward to PL winning, CL winning, Ballon Dor nominated right back Trent Alexander Arnold coming up against Jack Grealish.

That may be, but he's still suspect at defending.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #13 on: April 9, 2021, 11:00:54 am »
Not many individual players as influential and important to their teams as Grealish for Villa, big blow for them and big boost for us.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 9, 2021, 11:01:26 am »

Were you looking forward to it? The fact is we have lost 6 at home in a row to shitter teams than Villa in that run as well. We are not performing well so the more a teams better players are out, and Grealish is one of the best players in this league, the better.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 9, 2021, 11:04:08 am »

He is nominated for his attacking play.

We all know he can struggle 1v1. Well anyone can against Grealish to be honest

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 9, 2021, 11:04:36 am »
Were you looking forward to it? The fact is we have lost 6 at home in a row to shitter teams than Villa in that run as well. We are not performing well so the more a teams better players are out, and Grealish is one of the best players in this league, the better.

I feel like the sarcy response first was pretty clear, but I can try again if it didnt land?

No KH, I was shitting myself about the best RB in world football playing against Jack Grealish.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 9, 2021, 11:07:47 am »
I feel like the sarcy response first was pretty clear, but I can try again if it didnt land?

No KH, I was shitting myself about the best RB in world football playing against Jack Grealish.

Fair enough, i think its worthy of a celebration personally.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #18 on: April 9, 2021, 11:17:19 am »
We need to win. West ham play leicester so someone is dropping points there. Have to take advantage when those around you are dropping points. Would love to get a result against Real Madrid on Tuesday but the easier route to CL next season is win the games we should be winning.

If we are at it from the start we should have more than enough.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #19 on: April 9, 2021, 11:20:06 am »
Our ability to play in the Champions League next season rests on our home form at Anfield.

As simple as that against Villa, then against Real Madrid and others.

So the Villa match needs to light to spark up everyone's arses!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 9, 2021, 11:23:06 am »

Personally I'm looking forward to him being out if not just for the snide twat falling to the ground at every brush of his child sized shorts.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #21 on: April 9, 2021, 11:25:05 am »
It’s not really overreaction to say Grealish being out is great news. Not because of any of our players but he is clearly their main man and they clearly lose a fair bit of threat without him. Him not playing makes it more likely we’ll win.

One other thing, will this strange kick off time throw us? When did we last play at 3pm on a Saturday?!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #22 on: April 9, 2021, 11:27:58 am »
It’s not really overreaction to say Grealish being out is great news. Not because of any of our players but he is clearly their main man and they clearly lose a fair bit of threat without him. Him not playing makes it more likely we’ll win.

One other thing, will this strange kick off time throw us? When did we last play at 3pm on a Saturday?!

Last year
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 9, 2021, 11:33:35 am »

Nah its a good thing, he's their best player.

To say 'I'm glad he's out because he would have destroyed Trent' is ridiculous.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 9, 2021, 11:39:01 am »
Agree that if Grealish is out I think we win. Toss up if he was playing. Before Madrid I thought this was the game Thiago shouldn’t be playing in as Villa have a powerful midfield/attack.

I would play as many of the players that won’t be playing CL in midfield and attack without severely weakening us but I suspect the team will be the below though:
Ali
TAA Kabak Phillips Robbo
Thiago Fab Jones
Salah Firmino Mane

(Maybe throw Shaq in for one of Salah and Mane)

That is a midfield that looks like it can get done on the counter though so I’m wary of this one. Will be a big win if we do get the 3 points.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2021, 11:41:15 am by Studgotelli »

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 9, 2021, 11:45:30 am »
The midfield that played against Real was the same that got completely slapped by Villa in the last fixture.

I wouldn't be against Thiago - Fabinho - Milner just so Milner can get the dirty work done. Gini has been pretty poor and we know Milner will put a shift in regardless.

Villa have one of the better midfield setups in the league when everyone is fit. A little worried, especially as ours can be so easily bypassed nowadays.
YNWA.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 9, 2021, 12:00:49 pm »

Agree Grealish being out and not up against TAA is great news for us. On current form he is nowhere near the best RB in the world.

The only thing I am hoping for is that we are mentally there and up for a fight, otherwise we have another long 90 minutes in front of us.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 9, 2021, 01:53:57 pm »
We have a slither of a chance now the best English player in the Prem™ is out

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #28 on: April 9, 2021, 02:26:59 pm »
Will be a tough game. Most likely a draw.

But in the form of a win....
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #29 on: April 9, 2021, 02:28:45 pm »
Liverpool 0 - Villa 5

3 Greaelish (pen), 5 Greaelish (pen), 14 Greaelish (pen),  28 Greaelish (pen),  87 Greaelish (pen)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #30 on: April 9, 2021, 02:35:55 pm »

fs i hear you. soughgate shocks everybody by making an idiot decision, Gary Neville leaps on it to  starts a narrative based on horseshit, guy then has one bad half, and now its an accepted fact even amongst our own fan base that trent is a shite defender. it only took two weeks for that fake news to become excepted fact, probably world wide.

People will buy any shit they are sold if its repeated enough.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #31 on: April 9, 2021, 02:39:00 pm »
Villa seem to be consistently inconsistent at the moment, with their last nine league matches yielding 3 each for wins, draws, & defeats.  They've scored & conceded just 7.  Our quality should show through, but they've got talent enough in their side to build up a head of steam & cause us problems if we're off the pace.  It's certainly not the case that they can't stop scoring of anything, but Mings & Konsa also represent a bit of a threat from set pieces - Phillips is no doubt a big factor in easing those concerns though.

---

Trézéguet came on and looked really lively for them last weekend, scoring the two goals that turned their game against Fulham around.  I think he's tended to play on the right in the past, but I think Traore's had that role since joining - I expect Trezeguet will start on the left.

I don't particularly agree with the narrative that Trent Alexander-Arnold's defending is some sort of glaring weakness in our side, but I do recognise that the combination of his attacking-intent and Phillips' relative lack of mobility makes our right-hand side vulnerable when there isn't adequate protection from the midfield.  From the little I've seen of them recently, Matt Targett has also appeared to get forward a lot to support the play from left-back.

I'd probably favour Milner coming in for this one, on the right of the three.  Don't mind who plays on the left, but I suspect Thiago would get the nod over Gini.

---

The other option that crossed my mind is starting tomorrow how we ended on Tuesday - more like a 4-2-3-1, with Shaq on the right, Salah at the sharp end, Firmino in behind, and one of Mane/Jota kept as an impact options.  Not sure what you do with the midfield 'pair' in that case - probably Fab & Thiago unless we use Fab in central defence, but I suspect that would be unpopular.

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: April 9, 2021, 02:54:16 pm »
We have a slither of a chance now the best English player in the Prem™ is out

Show some backbone and stop talking with a forked tongue will you?
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #33 on: April 9, 2021, 03:09:47 pm »
I don't think there's any chance Milner sits this one out....

imo same lineup as vs Arsenal and they should do the job.
This Anfield run has been ridiculous by anyone's standards let alone ours...there is alot of incentive here to add to it. Think we'll be up for it

I did think we'd be just as up for the Madrid game however, but maybe nerves played a part there.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 9, 2021, 03:28:37 pm »
Show some backbone and stop talking with a forked tongue will you?

parsel tongue

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #35 on: April 9, 2021, 03:35:35 pm »
I don't think there's any chance Milner sits this one out....

imo same lineup as vs Arsenal and they should do the job.
This Anfield run has been ridiculous by anyone's standards let alone ours...there is alot of incentive here to add to it. Think we'll be up for it

I did think we'd be just as up for the Madrid game however, but maybe nerves played a part there.

The first ten minutes we looked very skittish. Like we'd never played at this level before.

Need to show some spirit and fight and not let mid table teams outplay us.

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
« Reply #36 on: April 9, 2021, 05:09:07 pm »
We haven't scored  from open play at Anfield since Dec 27th. We also haven't won at Anfield since December 16th (last time supporters were allowed in) - this is horrific.

Needs to be put right tomorrow.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 9, 2021, 05:18:17 pm »
Liverpool 0 - Villa 5

3 Greaelish (pen), 5 Greaelish (pen), 14 Greaelish (pen),  28 Greaelish (pen),  87 Greaelish (pen)
1. He is not playing because he is injured. 2 That is not how you spell Grealish. 3. No way we lose 0 - 5.
Apart from that, top post.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #38 on: April 9, 2021, 05:46:41 pm »
Liverpool 0 - Villa 5

Are you sure, doesn't Harry Kane get one?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #39 on: April 9, 2021, 05:58:18 pm »
We haven't scored  from open play at Anfield since Dec 27th. We also haven't won at Anfield since December 16th (last time supporters were allowed in) - this is horrific.

Needs to be put right tomorrow.

Nearly 4 months without a home win  :o