Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 99792 times)

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade, even if your copy if pirated
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 01:54:59 pm »
What happened to Windows 9?

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 03:46:41 pm »
What happened to Windows 9?

Microsoft haven't actually said why but the reason that sounded most plausible to me was that a lot of software has poorly implemented version checks, so if the version starts with 9* it assumes its Windows 95 or 98. I'm a programmer and have seen shit like that before so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Online justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 06:17:48 pm »
Personally I thought they were all improvements other than ME (which I only used briefly, didn't take to) & Vista (which I didn't mind personally, but my hardware was good enough to handle it).

Windows 8 was a good upgrade on 7 (admittedly I've never used the Metro interface, straight to desktop), especially performance wise and I'm really enjoying the Windows 10 technical preview, performance is really good and they've probably achieved what they were trying to do with 8 and 8.1 in terms of the whole desktop/metro thing. I think it'll prove to be very popular when it comes out, the free upgrade won't hurt that I'm sure.

That's fair enough mate. I found Millenium, Vista and 8 to be awful and judging by reaction and how quickly microsoft released a new version - many others did. Even the few looks of the design on Windows 10 is far more suitable for me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 06:59:57 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that almost every second version of windows is good and the one in between is awful?

only the entire world ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Online justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 07:26:37 pm »
only the entire world ;D

Everyone but me, Jason F and my mom.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 4, 2015, 09:54:27 pm »
It's a trick. They aren't after your money. They're after your soul.

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2015, 07:36:42 am »
Surprised there hasn't been much of an outcry from those who are still running Vista, XP or Linux based systems. Pirates are getting it free whilst they'll need to pay.

Totaly agree I have Vista on two laptops and XP on another, would love it if it was extended to us but they won't
YNWA
Twitter @asp67
XBMC TV http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:58 am »
Totaly agree I have Vista on two laptops and XP on another, would love it if it was extended to us but they won't

Obvious solution is to acquire a pirated copy of Windows 7.....  ;D

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2015, 05:42:08 pm »

everyone running XP onwards will be able to get the update to Windows 10 for free
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 04:50:41 pm »
everyone running XP onwards will be able to get the update to Windows 10 for free
Are you sure about that?

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-paths-limited-windows-7-and-above

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #50 on: June 1, 2015, 10:45:25 am »
Has anybody else got the Windows icon prompting us to reserve the upgrade to Windows 10 for free?

I've currently got Windows 7 - will any of you that also has it upgrade or stay with it?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 1, 2015, 10:46:05 am »
Has anybody else got the Windows icon prompting us to reserve the upgrade to Windows 10 for free?

I've currently got Windows 7 - will any of you that also has it upgrade or stay with it?
Got it today, signed up.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #52 on: June 1, 2015, 10:52:02 am »
Got it today, signed up.
Which do you have? If I had Windows 8/8.1 it would be a no-brainer, but with Windows 7 I'm still unsure. I just started looking at videos on Youtube to get a little more insight on it, I take the performance is better than Windows 7, right? After all, Windows 7 is 6 years old or sth like that (which in the IT world is a long time), so it should be better.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 1, 2015, 10:56:17 am »
Which do you have? If I had Windows 8/8.1 it would be a no-brainer, but with Windows 7 I'm still unsure. I just started looking at videos on Youtube to get a little more insight on it, I take the performance is better than Windows 7, right? After all, Windows 7 is 6 years old or sth like that (which in the IT world is a long time), so it should be better.
I'm on Windows 7, it is great for gaming. Thinking of creating a partition and have dual boot to test it out once it goes online. Also Microsoft seem to be offering OneDrive cloud thing to back all our data up. Though I have an external drive, and four internal ones for that already. Well definitely test it out though, feel like a change.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #54 on: June 1, 2015, 11:13:38 am »
I'm on Windows 7, it is great for gaming. Thinking of creating a partition and have dual boot to test it out once it goes online. Also Microsoft seem to be offering OneDrive cloud thing to back all our data up. Though I have an external drive, and four internal ones for that already. Well definitely test it out though, feel like a change.
Aye, Windows 7 is brilliant, but after all these years it seems Windows 10 could be a big hit, could be a good change.

Speaking of the cloud, IIRC I read that Windows 10 is supposed to be totally cloud based with a virtual desktop. What would happen if you don't have access to internet? And what about security? And what happens if the virtual server stops working and we can't recover our data (I have an external drive for that, but still)?

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 1, 2015, 11:26:56 am »
Aye, Windows 7 is brilliant, but after all these years it seems Windows 10 could be a big hit, could be a good change.

Speaking of the cloud, IIRC I read that Windows 10 is supposed to be totally cloud based with a virtual desktop. What would happen if you don't have access to internet? And what about security? And what happens if the virtual server stops working and we can't recover our data (I have an external drive for that, but still)?
Surely 10 should have the option to save everything on our physical hard drives as well as having a back-up in the cloud.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #56 on: June 1, 2015, 11:29:15 am »

8 is better for gaming.
:D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 1, 2015, 11:29:43 am »

I'd change what tech sites I read if i was you :)

None of what you just said is true
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #58 on: June 1, 2015, 11:30:41 am »
Bookmark :wave

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 1, 2015, 11:34:28 am »
8 is better for gaming.
No idea, not tried it. In what ways? Either way, will jump to 10, I'm sure it will be fine. Microsoft seemed to have sorted out their OS for gaming since 7 onwards (arguably XP was the first gamer friendly OS).

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #60 on: June 1, 2015, 11:44:59 am »
Surely 10 should have the option to save everything on our physical hard drives as well as having a back-up in the cloud.
Yeah I suppose so. Only just started reading about Windows 10 so got no clue what it's all about haha
I'd change what tech sites I read if i was you :)

None of what you just said is true
I don't really read any tech sites, just what first popped up when I searched for Windows 10 ;D Can you recommend a good ones? It looks interesting I have to say, so more info would be good!
« Last Edit: June 1, 2015, 11:47:21 am by MikaelLFC »

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 1, 2015, 12:00:09 pm »
I was just about to type in that I hadn't got the icon even after installing updates when it miraculously appeared!

Looking forward to my free copy of Office 2016! :D
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 1, 2015, 12:35:28 pm »

Just noticed that today.  Given support of W7 has something like another 5 years to run I'm inclined to stick with what I have.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 1, 2015, 12:42:03 pm »
Turns out people with pirated Windows aren't quite getting Windows 10 for free.

The consumer free upgrade offer for Windows 10 applies to qualified new and existing devices running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1. Some editions are excluded from the consumer free upgrade—including Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to other Windows 10 enterprise offerings.

We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade. According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/the-windows-10-free-upgrade-for-pirates-more-confusing-than-it-seems/

They will be able to upgrade to 10 but it will still be considered non-genuine and won't get updates etc.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #64 on: June 1, 2015, 01:00:22 pm »
I was just about to type in that I hadn't got the icon even after installing updates when it miraculously appeared!

Looking forward to my free copy of Office 2016! :D

Free office 2016???  ::)
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 1, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »
Free office 2016???  ::)

Not sure if it's true but just going by this: http://blog.gsmarena.com/windows-10-kicks-july-29/ (2nd paragraph) where I first read about the upgrade icon.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #66 on: June 1, 2015, 01:24:43 pm »
Not sure if it's true but just going by this: http://blog.gsmarena.com/windows-10-kicks-july-29/ (2nd paragraph) where I first read about the upgrade icon.
And the source of that page is this: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/01/hello-world-windows-10-available-on-july-29/

Office on Windows: In addition to the Office 2016 full featured desktop suite, Windows 10 users will be able to experience new universal Windows applications for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, all available separately. These offer a consistent, touch-first experience across a range of devices to increase you productivity. Designed from the ground up to run on Windows 10, you can easily create and edit Word documents, and deliver PowerPoint presentations while annotating on the fly. With new touch-first controls in Excel you can create or update spreadsheets without a keyboard or mouse. You will also be able to enjoy new versions of OneNote and Outlook, which are included with Windows 10 at no additional cost.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #67 on: June 1, 2015, 01:28:11 pm »
I believe I'll sign up for Windows 10, it seems well to be worth it. But I can't help but lose one thought: what's the catch?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 1, 2015, 01:35:55 pm »
I believe I'll sign up for Windows 10, it seems well to be worth it. But I can't help but lose one thought: what's the catch?

You can let me know after you've signed up. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 1, 2015, 01:37:26 pm »

Privacy.

To get the benefit of a lot of the features, you will have to sign up for a Microsoft account, and they will be mining all your data.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #70 on: June 1, 2015, 02:03:42 pm »
You can let me know after you've signed up. ;)
Haha when the world goes havoc I'll let you know ;D
Privacy.

To get the benefit of a lot of the features, you will have to sign up for a Microsoft account, and they will be mining all your data.
Ah, thought it sounded too good to be true. Not a surprise though!

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 1, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »
And the source of that page is this: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/01/hello-world-windows-10-available-on-july-29/

Office on Windows: In addition to the Office 2016 full featured desktop suite, Windows 10 users will be able to experience new universal Windows applications for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, all available separately. These offer a consistent, touch-first experience across a range of devices to increase you productivity. Designed from the ground up to run on Windows 10, you can easily create and edit Word documents, and deliver PowerPoint presentations while annotating on the fly. With new touch-first controls in Excel you can create or update spreadsheets without a keyboard or mouse. You will also be able to enjoy new versions of OneNote and Outlook, which are included with Windows 10 at no additional cost.
This is actually a bit misleading because in the first sentence it says that Office 2016 is available separately, and at the end it says Outlook and OneNote are available at no additional cost.

What I take this to mean is that instead of the full Office suite, you'll get Outlook and OneNote for free but will have to pay for Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #72 on: June 1, 2015, 02:45:10 pm »
This is actually a bit misleading because in the first sentence it says that Office 2016 is available separately, and at the end it says Outlook and OneNote are available at no additional cost.

What I take this to mean is that instead of the full Office suite, you'll get Outlook and OneNote for free but will have to pay for Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Possibly. Perhaps there's a 3-tier pay system. The desktop suite (extortionate but full featured for power users), these universal apps off the windows store (paid, most features, but work and sync across phones/tablets/desktops for the average office user) and the free basic web apps that we've already got (if you use outlook/onedrive through a browser, for those of us who just want to send off a cv in doc format or whatever).
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 1, 2015, 03:02:32 pm »

I suspect you are right, it seems crazy to give away Office for free when they have spent ages (and a lot of money presumably) persuading people to subscribe to Office365.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #74 on: June 1, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »
The most interesting thing for me with Windows 10 is the cross-platform stuff, specifically Android. There's been reports of windows 10 running on Android phones

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/microsoft-wants-to-convert-android-phones-to-windows-10-1288681

and Android app developers being able to port easily to Windows

http://www.neowin.net/news/android-apps-and-windows-the-relationship-takes-a-step-forward

I'd imagine that many of us who have eschewed the Apple ecosystem have a mix of devices on the other two. Dunno whether they're fighting between themselves, they're both ganging up on Apple or it's simply a Microsoft power-grab. I suspect the latter.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #75 on: June 1, 2015, 06:52:59 pm »
I'll definitely go for Win10, but I'd imagine it will be safer waiting a bit until they've sorted out possible (bug-)issues, right?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 1, 2015, 07:41:56 pm »
i think they'll have a lot of the bugs fixed before launch, it's been out there freely available in beta for quite some time
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 2, 2015, 11:32:43 am »
Anyone know how to get rid of that link ?
There is no option to ignore this.
Very irritating  !

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 2, 2015, 12:37:18 pm »
Anyone know how to get rid of that link ?
There is no option to ignore this.
Very irritating  !

I still haven't got it, never mind get rid of it.  I'm guessing it goes away if you register for the upgrade?

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #79 on: June 2, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »
Can I wait until Windows 10 is out, to see if its any good, before I upgrade for free?

I specifically didn't buy a new laptop because Windows 8 looks awful.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.