Author Topic: The iTunes / iPod help thread.  (Read 110290 times)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iTunes / iPod help thread.
« Reply #1040 on: December 8, 2014, 12:58:38 pm »
Well, I carried out a SMART test and the results said it was working normal and then went on and done an Apple Hardware test and that said the same, everything was okay . . . . . . . . and then, and this is mad this, then after the Apple Hardware test it gave 2 options on the screen, turn off the computer or restart the computer.  I clicked on restart, and it closed then restarted, but something wasn't right.  All the things I had on the desktop were not there.  There was a little multi coloured ball thingy spinning round, and round, and round for ages.  For some reason it hadn't found nor loaded finder.  I turned it off by holding in the power button.  10 minutes later I turned it on, well i tried to, all i was getting was a plain grey screen with a spinning thingy and it was just stuck there, I tried it several times and it was the same each time.  Next I tried other ways to get it on and they never worked so I then put the disk in that came with it and held, I think it was D, or was it C? . . . . not sure now but any way it came on asking if I wanted to install Snow Leopard, I never clicked on that, I went up the top and clicked UTILITIES and wanted to click on REPAIR PERMISSIONS then REPAIR DISK, nothing doing, they were both greyed out and couldn't be clicked on.  It was saying the disc could not be repaired and to reformat and re install Snow Leopard.

This was on Wednesday afternoon.  I took it to a Computer repair shop on Thursday morning and he said he would have a look and do some tests and phone me up later.  2 hours later he phoned and said the hard drive buggered and he will put a new one in.  I said okay, whatever you have to do just get on with it.  I got it back on Saturday afternoon and it's like I have a brand new imac here and for the last couple of days I have been on sorting my stuff out again, putting my music, videos and music back and downloading the apps again that I had.   Good job I have a 2TB external hard drive here with all my stuff backed up.

So, now that everything is fine and dandy I can go to the Apple site and download a copy of Yosemite and hopefully it will make my machine a lot better cos as I say, I'm still running on Snow Leopard which was on it when I got it at the end of 2009. 

Hopefully it is straight forward to upgrade to Yosemite and nothing goes wrong.

Thanks very much for your help and advice people    :)

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1041 on: December 8, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »
Ohh, it cost me £140.   I dunno if that's a fair price or now but it's like I have a new computer here so not complaining, much . . . the highway robbing bastard      :P

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1042 on: January 2, 2015, 12:44:36 pm »
Does anyone know about how to solve this problem on itunes. Every time I try and buy a track a message comes on about my connections. It says "the network connection was terminated unexpectedly." Also my itunes icon is bright red instead of the normal blue. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: January 2, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »
Does anyone know about how to solve this problem on itunes. Every time I try and buy a track a message comes on about my connections. It says "the network connection was terminated unexpectedly." Also my itunes icon is bright red instead of the normal blue. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
A month ago I upgraded the operating system on my imac.  I was still running SNOW LEOPARD which was on the imac when I purchased it 5 years ago.  I'm now running on YOSEMITE, the latest one and since the upgrade the itunes logo is now red instead of blue which it used to be.   Just saying.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1044 on: January 2, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »
My classic is dying :( battery only lasts about half an hour so have to have it constantly plugged in to the car now.

Worst thing is I don't have my own itunes now so once the music is gone, it's gone!
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: January 2, 2015, 12:58:12 pm »
A month ago I upgraded the operating system on my imac.  I was still running SNOW LEOPARD which was on the imac when I purchased it 5 years ago.  I'm now running on YOSEMITE, the latest one and since the upgrade the itunes logo is now red instead of blue which it used to be.   Just saying.

Thanks for that Paul. It happened so suddenly I just can't think what has caused it, I am wondering if the connection problem is connected with the other problem I have. Also I have just started putting my songs on my iphone, so I'm not sure if that is all a factor, although the songs are playing okay on my phone. So baffling. 

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: January 2, 2015, 01:00:46 pm »
My classic is dying :( battery only lasts about half an hour so have to have it constantly plugged in to the car now.

Worst thing is I don't have my own itunes now so once the music is gone, it's gone!

I would really get set up on itunes, or else like you said it has gone. Funnily enough my ipod classic is on its way out too. I cannot synch with the itunes on my computer any more. That was the reason I got my new iphone. If you get your library up onto your computer or whatever and get another ipod/phone, at least you have the option of putting your music onto the new device.

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: January 2, 2015, 02:39:53 pm »

Itunes should give an error code which will help point you in the right direction for a solution. 

Are you running itunes on a PC or Mac.

The red iTunes icon comes with the iTunes 12 update. 
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: January 2, 2015, 03:07:22 pm »

Itunes should give an error code which will help point you in the right direction for a solution. 

Are you running itunes on a PC or Mac.

The red iTunes icon comes with the iTunes 12 update.

Thanks for that. I run it with a PC. 

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1049 on: January 2, 2015, 09:48:07 pm »
Think the headphone jack on my 120GB classic is going, every time it's in my pocket and the jack gets jiggled somewhat it'll either pause or go back a page or go to the beginning of what I'm listening to.  I'm guessing it's a hardware fault but is the repair worth it (if one's possible) or do I just persevere and try not to move it so much?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #1050 on: January 12, 2015, 11:50:39 am »
Hi,

work just changed my laptop and I now run Windows 7 Professional. I transferred all my music to the new laptop but iTunes won't download. It hangs when "publishing" something or other and an message pops us saying an error occurred during installation. Apparently this is a common problem and I was wondering if anyone had a work around i.e. is there another way I can get my music from my laptop on to my iPhone without iTunes. Thanks in advance. (ps Did a quick search and could not fid this topic / question previously on forum).

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: February 11, 2015, 11:15:41 pm »
I would really get set up on itunes, or else like you said it has gone. Funnily enough my ipod classic is on its way out too. I cannot synch with the itunes on my computer any more. That was the reason I got my new iphone. If you get your library up onto your computer or whatever and get another ipod/phone, at least you have the option of putting your music onto the new device.
Right, im totally thick when it comes to this stuff. I have an ipod classic, for years now! and i know it's gonna go anytime soon, can just sense it. I head on itunes, and go to sync music to itunes then? or is it library it syncs to? and that will store all the music on me laptop? easy peasy?
I don't have to actually join itunes do i?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:25:14 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #1052 on: February 14, 2015, 12:47:39 pm »
Can anybody recommend a good free program to transfer music from an iPod to a pc?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: February 14, 2015, 03:59:30 pm »
Can anybody recommend a good free program to transfer music from an iPod to a pc?

Try these http://www.syncios.com/   

http://www.i-funbox.com/

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1054 on: February 16, 2015, 10:18:10 pm »
Same iPod, new laptop - what's the best way to transfer the music?  Does it keep the stats/genius data, etc?

Cheers

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #1055 on: June 8, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »
Hi,

work just changed my laptop and I now run Windows 7 Professional. I transferred all my music to the new laptop but iTunes won't download. It hangs when "publishing" something or other and an message pops us saying an error occurred during installation. Apparently this is a common problem and I was wondering if anyone had a work around i.e. is there another way I can get my music from my laptop on to my iPhone without iTunes. Thanks in advance. (ps Did a quick search and could not fid this topic / question previously on forum).

Bump

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1056 on: June 16, 2015, 11:04:08 am »
Fucking iTunes!

Had a shitload of music on my device, somehow when I tried to Sync it it restored the iPod to Factory Settings. Thankfully the 'purchased' items are in my Library so I still have them. The rest I can add to it later. However when I try to sync the songs from the Library back onto the iPod nothing's happening.

Am I being stupid? Almost certainly!...But any ideas how I can get it back onto the iPod?

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1057 on: June 24, 2015, 11:17:52 am »
Can anyone help out here please? I've been adding to my iTunes collection on my music and every now and again certain albums just spread themselves like wildfire all over my collection, for some reason they store themselves as individual records rather than as part of the actual album. Any help is greatly appreciated, ta. 
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1058 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:20 am »
Updated to latest iTunes and my music library is now blank

Any ideas?

It is really a fucking awkward program.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:21:25 am by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: July 29, 2015, 06:07:40 pm »
Hope someone can help me here.

I've just re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows on my PC, so I've a lovely clean and fast computer. I store all of my music and photos on a seperate hard drive.

Today I've reinstalled iTunes and all is working fine, except for loosing all my ratings and play counts but that I will have to deal with as I forgot to save the old library.xml file.

I've just plugged one of my iPods in and it's all uploaded OK, apart from about 20 songs (out of around 10,000). These 20 songs seem to be the ones that I've purchased from iTunes, all other music has been burnt from CD's or 'borrowed' from torrents over the years. The warning is 'some of the items in the library were not copied to the iPod because you are not authorised for them on this computer'. I've authorised the PC.

Fucking Apple, I think I'll have to Illegally download these 20 tracks and replace the files.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #1060 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:33 pm »
Need some help buying a new usb charger for my ipod classic 160gb. What's the best brand to buy? From Apple or other? Also need a new cable to connect my new charger to the ipod as well as when I sync my itunes on my pc to the ipod. How much should I pay? Any help appreciated.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1061 on: March 27, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
Does anyone know why everytime I use iTunes that I have to update preference to say I am saving music to my hard drive?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:34 pm »
Does anyone know if it's possible to gift an album to someone in another country? It does say on Itunes you may only gift to the UK but is there now way round this?

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #1063 on: July 26, 2016, 04:48:42 pm »
Anybody out there know a simple, free and safe program that can be used to transfer songs from an iPod to a new iTunes on a new PC? My old laptop died and I don't have all my music backed up properly, just some of it. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:40 pm »
Anybody out there know a simple, free and safe program that can be used to transfer songs from an iPod to a new iTunes on a new PC? My old laptop died and I don't have all my music backed up properly, just some of it. Any help would be appreciated!
I've done it in the past having found the answer via google mate, It can be done I'm certain.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #1065 on: July 26, 2016, 09:01:16 pm »
I've done it in the past having found the answer via google mate, It can be done I'm certain.

Yeah mate I got it sorted! Problem is a lot of the programs masquerade as being free until the point of transferring but I managed to get it done with a YouTube tutorial.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: April 17, 2017, 03:23:25 pm »
Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about these iPod classics that are fitted with SSD cards?
My 120gb one is full, I keep unckecking songs but have got to the point of no return.
Was browsing and trying to find a new 160gb one when I came across them.
They seem to be refurbished classics with new batteries etc and much bigger storage.
From 256gb to 1tb.

These sound perfect for me and will see me out even with the amount of albums I buy. I'm sure there will be a drawback somewhere though.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: June 10, 2017, 01:58:23 pm »
Just connected one of my iPods to the PC for the first time in 6 months or so, and iTunes seems to of lost all my 'Loved' tracks. Spent half a day marking my favourite tracks a while ago so I could make a smart playlist that didn't involve music I didn't want to hear. Play counts and artwork is all still there.

For such a large company with such a good reputation, they don't half produce some shit sometimes.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: June 15, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »
Headphone jack's only playing through one earphone, the left.  Think it's fucked up my earphones as only one of them now plays out.  The right.

Fuck's sake. :(  £30 to get it fixed in Grainger Games (Not trying the fix myself after reading it on ifixit.)
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.