Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 589094 times)

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #4000 on: November 19, 2022, 05:03:59 pm »
A lot of the opinion on Curtis is quite similar to early opinions on Coutinho here. Loads of talent, terribly inconsistent at times but young and plenty of potential.
Curtis has fewer highlight moments maybe, but thats because of his role and position. For me, I think the new contract is deserved. The lad's 21 and has shown he is improving. Still plenty to work on, but surely worth keeping a young talent in the squad when we expect to lose half the current group of midfielders by summer. We dont want to be adding 3-4 players in the same position in one window because it takes time to adapt to the individual and for the team.
I still feel Curtis will be a good player and useful for us and this deal makes all the sense to me.

I don't think that's a valid comparison. Coutinho was seen as an outstanding talent in Brazil and moved to Inter aged 18 and was labelled 'the future'. He started well but things didn't pan out and he eventually moved to us at around Curtis' age. Curtis has only ever been seen as either 'promising' or in others' eyes 'over rated'. Coutinho developed into one the game's best players and, as we know, ended up at Barca for £142m. I don't think Curtis will ever be in that category.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #4001 on: November 20, 2022, 12:00:56 pm »
Don't think he will be here by 2027.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4002 on: November 20, 2022, 12:51:22 pm »
Phil was never in a million years worth that though was he,we pulled their pants down and got around £80m more than we should've.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #4003 on: November 20, 2022, 02:32:45 pm »
This is a tough one for me. He can be excellent but is still too inconsistent. He’s not really a first choice and that doesn’t help his development. He’s the type of player who I think we should move on for his own sake and get a decent price for him.

Hope I am wrong but I think he has peaked.
#JFT97

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #4004 on: November 30, 2022, 11:03:27 am »
Agree with the inconsistency StockDam, i think its partly Klopps fault though, cos he plays him in different positions. sometimes RCM, sometimes LCM. I feel he's more effective playing high up on the LCM position. I think, and hope he will come good. I really like his physical profile.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4005 on: November 30, 2022, 03:30:22 pm »
He has been around the team for so long now...he seems older player.

He is still only 21 and has all the time he needs to succeed here and definitely has the skills and potential to do so.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #4006 on: November 30, 2022, 10:45:29 pm »
Phil was never in a million years worth that though was he,we pulled their pants down and got around £80m more than we should've.

He has a 4 year contract, he is playing well, we hold all the cards. If someone wants to buy him and we want to sell, 150 million minimum price for shit stains like Barca,Real and PSG.

depends on his world cup.. but i think 120 is not enough for a proven international player in his peak. Compare his performances with other wingers or attacking mids in world football and i don´t think there are many better than him. He is a natural player... talented + professional on and off the pitch. He should not be much cheaper than what Neymar´s worth is. Players like Coutinho are rare. He made it in PL as one of very few Brazilians with his pure talent and determination... imagine what he could do in Spain or other country´s considered softer in football approach... we should not sell.

edit: also you have to look more on the fact what would 120 mil. for Coutinho next summer be getting us. With prices for players going crazy, would 120 mil. be enough to buy players like him to replace that would go straight to starting 11? would such players come knowing we sold a player who they would like to play with, i mean the best players... in reality we would spend it on young unproven players, from which one would become great and we will sell again after him being great for us for 3-4 seasons... that´s not the way forward.

No chance he goes this window. We aren't splashing £75m on a defender to bolster our chances of CL qualification to then sell one of our best players. It's not like he'd lose value between now and the summer.

Plus really doubt Barca will pony up what we'd demand for him which must be north of £140m easily.

if nike are happy to chip in we can ask for £250m.

not arsed if he's going; would love him to stay. 

they're all just livestock and we're definitely good at reinvesting these days.

It is for Barca. Not for us.

We need to demand £175 million paid up front.

I'd want £140-150m for him and heavily weighted with upfront payments, especially after the stunts these have pulled. They are still doing their best to destabilise us to get him on the cheap.

That way, with a reasonable net spend and a few other departures we could quite feasibly have towards £300m to spend in the summer on replacements and improving the team.

You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4007 on: December 1, 2022, 01:56:26 am »
All that time searching and yet you said fuck all.

I also said that we should rinse them.

My point still stands.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4008 on: December 8, 2022, 03:06:40 pm »
Is he injured yet again? Haven't seen him in any photos or videos of this camp yet and he was listed as one of the 33

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #4009 on: December 8, 2022, 03:09:40 pm »
Is he injured yet again? Haven't seen him in any photos or videos of this camp yet and he was listed as one of the 33

He was pictured alongside Matip and Thiago  in one of the pics posted yesterday, albeit it trainers not football boots. He might be doing some lighter training like some of the other players returning from injury.

« Last Edit: December 8, 2022, 03:11:57 pm by JasonF »

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4010 on: December 8, 2022, 03:14:34 pm »
He was pictured alongside Matip and Thiago  in one of the pics posted yesterday, albeit it trainers not football boots. He might be doing some lighter training like some of the other players returning from injury.

Thanks, that's good to see. But yea definitely seems to be on a recovery program as I haven't seen him in any of the full training session videos

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #4011 on: December 8, 2022, 04:33:41 pm »
He should be in Qatar, running the England midfield alongside Bellingham.

OK, not really.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4012 on: December 15, 2022, 08:58:32 am »
I don't think that's a valid comparison. Coutinho was seen as an outstanding talent in Brazil and moved to Inter aged 18 and was labelled 'the future'. He started well but things didn't pan out and he eventually moved to us at around Curtis' age. Curtis has only ever been seen as either 'promising' or in others' eyes 'over rated'. Coutinho developed into one the game's best players and, as we know, ended up at Barca for £142m. I don't think Curtis will ever be in that category.

I dont disagree. Coutinho definitely far more talented. My point is the opinion/criticism levelled against them is very very similar. Its easy to see the quality is there, perhaps at different levels of development and ceiling, but the jarring inconsistency is what makes it so difficult to rely on him at his age and given how much he has been around the first team and had so many chances, you expect to see them slowly go away. Even with coutinho, it lasted throughout except the pre Barca season where he played out of his skin, maybe to get the move. He has gone back to that inconsistency again since.

Curtis needs to get away from that as soon as possible because he will officially count as a senior or over-21 pro next season onwards and the leeway given to young players will slowly disappear. I believe he has the skillset to be a top player, just not sure if his application yet matches that on a consistent basis. At this level, you'd take a boring consistent 7/10 week in week out player over a player who can drop anything between a 2/10 to a 10/10.

Offline Harris96

• Kopite
« Reply #4013 on: December 31, 2022, 11:01:07 am »
Does he still exist? Honestly haven’t heard anything about him for what feels like months now

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #4014 on: December 31, 2022, 12:06:17 pm »
Does he still exist? Honestly haven’t heard anything about him for what feels like months now

He was pictured training in Dubai less than 2 weeks ago.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4015 on: December 31, 2022, 05:14:23 pm »
Photoshopped maybe?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4016 on: December 31, 2022, 05:18:00 pm »

With trainers on. He's been injured more than he's ben fit for a while now.

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #4017 on: December 31, 2022, 05:26:04 pm »
With trainers on. He's been injured more than he's ben fit for a while now.

That may be true but it's only speculation. Since the last game he played he's signed a new deal and been pictured training (in trainers) in Dubai two weeks ago. Nothing else official.

Obviously we can read into the fact he's not been in any match day squads of late but we don't really know anything.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4018 on: December 31, 2022, 05:42:21 pm »

He was in the club hospital christmas video,maybe he got left behind?

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4019 on: December 31, 2022, 06:10:12 pm »
I think his disappearance started around the same time as our new doctor came on board ... maybe he's stepped in and told Jones to get more treatment before trying to come back?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #4020 on: December 31, 2022, 06:43:42 pm »
I think his disappearance started around the same time as our new doctor came on board ... maybe he's stepped in and told Jones to get more treatment before trying to come back?
Maybe he IS the new doctor? A busy job, no time to play...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4021 on: December 31, 2022, 06:44:27 pm »
I think Keita and Ox may have been more qualified for the job
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4022 on: December 31, 2022, 06:50:34 pm »
by God man, I think you're on to something there !!

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4023 on: December 31, 2022, 06:57:53 pm »

Explains where all our injured players are.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4024 on: January 1, 2023, 06:52:16 am »
That may be true but it's only speculation. Since the last game he played he's signed a new deal and been pictured training (in trainers) in Dubai two weeks ago. Nothing else official.

Obviously we can read into the fact he's not been in any match day squads of late but we don't really know anything.

Surmising that Jones is either currently injured or is rehabbing from an injury (which basically amounts to the same thing) is about as straightforward detective work as you’ll ever find. Even the lack of news is suggestive. This is much less speculation and much more reasonable inference from the facts.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4025 on: January 1, 2023, 11:12:40 pm »
Back in full training so hopefully see him in the FA Cup game against Wolves.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4026 on: January 1, 2023, 11:13:50 pm »
It seems like he’s ‘Back in training’ every other week, nowadays.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #4027 on: January 1, 2023, 11:49:23 pm »

Dr Jones, Dr Jones..
Calling Dr Jones..Our midfield needs you!

https://youtu.be/-1jPUB7gRyg
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #4028 on: January 1, 2023, 11:53:34 pm »
Surmising that Jones is either currently injured or is rehabbing from an injury (which basically amounts to the same thing) is about as straightforward detective work as you’ll ever find. Even the lack of news is suggestive. This is much less speculation and much more reasonable inference from the facts.

It's not an unreasonable conclusion to jump to given the recent history but it was still speculation. Anyway he's back in full training so hopefully whatever it was, was minor and is behind him now. The more midfield options right now the better.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4029 on: January 2, 2023, 04:24:55 am »
This is really set up for him to get the big chance to make an impact if he's fit. The midfield is struggling so as long as he does a decent job he'll get the run of games he wants/needs. I dont know if he's fit yet but this is the sort of situation where youngsters earn their spot and make the big jump from youth talent to first team starter.
Hopefully he is fit this year and takes it. We know he has the skill to do it.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #4030 on: January 2, 2023, 05:59:46 am »
The boy has stagnated so much. It always felt like Klopp kept his attacking instincts on a leash but it feels like he has stagnated and not developed :/. What does he need to do?. Does Klopp need to put him into a role instead of floating him into CM then LF/LW at times?. What is he really best at?. (needs to cut out dwelling on the ball ....pretty obvious).

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4031 on: January 2, 2023, 02:07:55 pm »
If anyone ever needed a loan it’s Curtis. He needs games, and probably needs to get away from Liverpool for a year to see what it’s like at another club and maybe make him realise what he could lose if he doesn’t start contributing more. Going somewhere like a top end Championship side would help him get some games, confidence and toughen him up a bit more.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: January 2, 2023, 02:08:49 pm »
If anyone ever needed a loan it’s Curtis. He needs games, and probably needs to get away from Liverpool for a year to see what it’s like at another club and maybe make him realise what he could lose if he doesn’t start contributing more. Going somewhere like a top end Championship side would help him get some games, confidence and toughen him up a bit more.
so -- boot camp replaces boot room.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4033 on: January 2, 2023, 02:12:42 pm »

Why does he need a loan though? If he was fit this season he'd have been a regular in the team given the injuries/state of the midfield/Diaz's injury. If he's injured it doesn't matter if he's on loan or not.

He played 27 games last season in a quadruple chasing side despite a 2 month injury and another niggles.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4034 on: January 2, 2023, 02:18:51 pm »

So, it's his fault he's been injured and going away on loan and "realizing what he could lose if he doesn't start contributing more" is going to stop him from getting injured?   :butt :butt

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #4035 on: January 2, 2023, 02:51:27 pm »
So, it's his fault he's been injured and going away on loan and "realizing what he could lose if he doesn't start contributing more" is going to stop him from getting injured?   :butt :butt
Heh heh. Indeed, such bollocks is posted on this forum these days.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4036 on: January 2, 2023, 03:07:34 pm »
He looked really good during his brief stint of being fit recently, and he seemed to come straight into the team which shows he's pretty highly rated still. He just seems to have one of those injury issues that needs to be managed, similar to Henderson and his tendinitis a few years back.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4037 on: January 2, 2023, 03:18:27 pm »
Still time for him to be the player we thought he would be, he definitely brings a different dimension when he's on it.

We seem to get lots of injuries many long term or recuring, often with players who haven't got a track record of being injury prone before they join.
 No doubt more than one thing to blame it can't all be down to luck, it's not like we are running the hard yards anymore (near the bottom in that category now)

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4038 on: January 2, 2023, 03:53:06 pm »

It’s a mentality thing as he seems a bit like Sturridge was in that any knock seems to rule him out. He needs toughening up and more match practice at his age.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4039 on: January 2, 2023, 04:04:17 pm »
So an eye injury and a stress reaction in his tibia were all in his mind…..
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."