Author Topic: CCTV systems  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
CCTV systems
« on: October 12, 2019, 11:51:48 am »
Need to get a camera up outside the house as having some issues and wondering if anyone has one they can recommend?

https://www.costco.co.uk/CCTV-Systems/Swann-DVR4-4980-5MP-4-Channel-Digital-Video-Recorder-with-4-x-5MP/p/283308

This is the one we've been looking at. I need night vision as well as a decent image and recording facility.

We don't really need 4 cameras, 2 would do and as little arsing about installing as possible.

:wave

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CCTV systems
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:21:12 pm »

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:39:25 pm »
Got exactly that system for the wife's shop. Works well, but can't really compare it to any others.

Think we got it even cheaper than that though for the same 4-camera system.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 02:03:45 pm »
Haven’t used that one but have used a couple of other Swann systems and all been pretty decent.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 03:39:10 pm »
Thanks lads, spent a day looking at reviews and stuff and ended up going with an Annke system, domestic version of HIKvision. It was stupidly simple to install and excellent quality.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:24:04 pm »
Picked up one of the Blink XT2 systems last week. Amazon had an offer for the camera system, 1 camera and an Echo Show 5 for £99.

Absolute piece of piss to set up, little bit of tinkering with activity zones and sensitivity but happy with how it's going. Arm the system via the app when going out (Although there's loads of IFTTT automation on that front) and get app alerts when there's motion on the driveway and it records a pre-defined length clip.

Obviously being a wireless system there's limitations. Manufacturers battery claim is upto 2 years and I'm hugely sceptical on that front but will see.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 04:32:53 pm »
Looking at installing a CCTV system.

I want to route the wiring through the loft, then into a built-in wardrobe in the bedroom where the DVR will be kept.

The problem I then have is connecting the DVR to the WIFI router. I'd assumed that modern DVR boxes would just connect to the router wirelessly, but it seems this isn't the case and they need a wired connection. That means taking a wire through the floor and across the living room, which I'm not going to do because I hate visible wiring.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

I don't want WIFI cameras, as I don't want to have to fuck about changing batteries, and I've heard bad stories about the reliability and quality of the WIFI connections (eg, they'll only record in 1080 and not 4k).

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 04:41:45 pm »
I don't want WIFI cameras, as I don't want to have to fuck about changing batteries, and I've heard bad stories about the reliability and quality of the WIFI connections (eg, they'll only record in 1080 and not 4k).

Can't help with the wired, but I have 4 Ring Floodlight cams and 2 Ring Spotlight cams, all wired so no batteries, and they're great. Not had a single issue with WIFI connections and it's a pretty big house. They are only 1080 but the picture quality it excellent both day or night.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 04:50:21 pm »
Looking at installing a CCTV system.

I want to route the wiring through the loft, then into a built-in wardrobe in the bedroom where the DVR will be kept.

The problem I then have is connecting the DVR to the WIFI router. I'd assumed that modern DVR boxes would just connect to the router wirelessly, but it seems this isn't the case and they need a wired connection. That means taking a wire through the floor and across the living room, which I'm not going to do because I hate visible wiring.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Powerline adaptors.

Here's a cheap one that's just ethernet but if you have any trouble with your wifi signal then spend a bit more for the duals version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOY-seaside-vacation-flowers-protection/dp/B07G37DJ8R/ref=sr_1_28?c=ts&keywords=Powerline+Network+Adapters&qid=1644684680&s=computers&sr=1-28&ts_id=430576031
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 04:54:31 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 05:27:39 pm »

Powerline adaptors.

Here's a cheap one that's just ethernet but if you have any trouble with your wifi signal then spend a bit more for the duals version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOY-seaside-vacation-flowers-protection/dp/B07G37DJ8R/ref=sr_1_28?c=ts&keywords=Powerline+Network+Adapters&qid=1644684680&s=computers&sr=1-28&ts_id=430576031

That will work, yeah?

I've ultra-dubious of TP Link stuff, as I had one of their WIFI extenders that barely extended the coverage, whilst slowing data right down and kept dropping out. It was a pile of steaming toss, if I'm honest.

I'm a tech dunce, if I'm honest. Would it be a case of just plugging one end into the DVR and the other into the WIFI (Sky Ultra Fibre to the house) router? And it will have no detrimental effect on the rest of the WIFI capability in the house (we've only just got it sorted after the bedrooms in the back of the house couldn't get the WIFI signal)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 06:13:21 pm »

That will work, yeah?

I've ultra-dubious of TP Link stuff, as I had one of their WIFI extenders that barely extended the coverage, whilst slowing data right down and kept dropping out. It was a pile of steaming toss, if I'm honest.

I'm a tech dunce, if I'm honest. Would it be a case of just plugging one end into the DVR and the other into the WIFI (Sky Ultra Fibre to the house) router? And it will have no detrimental effect on the rest of the WIFI capability in the house (we've only just got it sorted after the bedrooms in the back of the house couldn't get the WIFI signal)

They're a great bit of kit,you can get ones that work with both wifi and ethernet or others that just use ehternet that plug straight into the router and you run another cable from the other straight to your dvr,they use your house wires and you hardly get any speed drop off.

The wifi ones also work as extenders so if anything the wifi in the bedroom would be better not worse.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 06:26:25 pm »
That's brill - thank you

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 1, 2022, 10:34:16 am »
Hi folks!  Any thoughts on this topic now, after a few months use? 

I'm looking for recommendations and would prefer a wireless solution.  Shopping around for deals and I came across this Swann system https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-DVR-4680-PRO-1080SL-Enforcer-Analogue/dp/B08DD7J6GW?th=1 , which is wired but seems a really good value investment.

JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 12:44:46 pm »
Hi folks!  Any thoughts on this topic now, after a few months use? 

I'm looking for recommendations and would prefer a wireless solution.  Shopping around for deals and I came across this Swann system https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-DVR-4680-PRO-1080SL-Enforcer-Analogue/dp/B08DD7J6GW?th=1 , which is wired but seems a really good value investment.

Update, did some more looking around and after researching I took a bit of a gamble with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CN8T4F5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1system (£299) at the time.

After a few weeks use I have to say I am really pleased with it, dead easy installation and have had no problems at all.
JFT96

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 09:39:33 pm »
Update, did some more looking around and after researching I took a bit of a gamble with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CN8T4F5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1system (£299) at the time.

After a few weeks use I have to say I am really pleased with it, dead easy installation and have had no problems at all.

One year later and I can still say this is decent kit, pleased with the investment and now price reduced is an even bigger bargain.  Scummy neighbours steer well clear of my car now that's for sure.
JFT96