Author Topic: Ferguson retiring. Moyes gets 6 year deal.  (Read 420417 times)

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Re: Ferguson considering retirement.
« Reply #200 on: May 7, 2013, 11:16:12 pm »
How many of those sides from "lesser" nations ended up winning it or even getting to the final? The major countries always held sway only the Champions League allows a greater spread of winners from those countries which makes it harder to win and nigh on impossible to go back to back. I agree though its an achievement whenever anyone won it.

Malmö, Bruges, Partizan Beograd, Panathanaikos all played in European finals, Red Star and Steaua Bucharest won the European Cup.

Depends how far you want to go calling things "small leagues" - no Dutch or Scottish team will ever win it again bar a complete sea change in European football.

Even in terms of diversity from "big" leagues - Liverpool, Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Aston Villa all competed in the final over a certain space of time, but could only do so because they'd put together squads good enough to win the league, not finish third or fourth in it.

Saying the "major powers always held sway" is tautological, they are the major powers because they hold sway. You can see from the off that the Spanish and Italians valued European competition much more so than the insular British.

I'm not the older era was harder or easier - just different. It's very difficult to legitimately compare the Lisbon Lions to todays Celtic team who reached the last 16. Moreover I consider it a pointless comparison anyway.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2013, 11:18:33 pm by lamonti »

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #201 on: May 7, 2013, 11:16:59 pm »
Fingers crossed!

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: May 7, 2013, 11:17:05 pm »
Don't want him to retire before we win another title. I wish for him to burn at that moment.
He'd have to be immortal for him to be around that long.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: May 7, 2013, 11:17:42 pm »
It's going to be a long Summer.

Off to Alaska?

Offline boxinggurunutjob

• Main Stander
  • Boxing Nutter
« Reply #204 on: May 7, 2013, 11:17:52 pm »
Wonder if he does retire will people look back and respect him for what he did, i used to hate the old c*nt but to be honest hes actually one of the best managers ever to grave the league in reality. But until he retires hes a fucking bellend!

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #205 on: May 7, 2013, 11:18:04 pm »
Not a chance in hell that he'll retire. He'll keep going until he wins that 3rd European cup, or he'll die trying. Its one or the other, which ever comes first

I mean if he wins it, his status as the greatest ever can never really be questioned, can it? There will be no more grounds for excuse, will there?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 7, 2013, 11:19:16 pm »
If he goes the its Jose isn't it?

Doubt it, would be very surprised if they want the circus and bad publicity that he brings aswell as knowing he'll have fucked off in 2-3 years.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #207 on: May 7, 2013, 11:19:42 pm »
Wonder if he does retire will people look back and respect him for what he did, i used to hate the old c*nt but to be honest hes actually one of the best managers ever to grave the league in reality. But until he retires hes a fucking bellend!

He will always be a twat who bought and bullied his way to success.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #208 on: May 7, 2013, 11:19:59 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #209 on: May 7, 2013, 11:20:52 pm »

I mean if he wins it, his status as the greatest ever can never really be questioned, can it? There will be no more grounds for excuse, will there?

It's like the Bradman v Tendulkar debate in cricket! Shorter term genius or longer term consistency (and a touch of genius in fairness).

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #210 on: May 7, 2013, 11:21:43 pm »
If Mourinho were to go there, they would get Ronaldo back, which is a horrible thought.
Doubt it, Ronaldo cant stand Mourinho and he's been there and done that, Madrid has always been his club. What I would be worried about is him bringing back Alonso and Di Maria.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #211 on: May 7, 2013, 11:21:51 pm »
Howard Webb will finally be free!!
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #212 on: May 7, 2013, 11:21:55 pm »
Hope Moyes does get the job when/if Fergie retires. That'd fuck both Everton and United over, well and truly.

If they got Mourinho, they'd get a 2/3 year spell of winning trophies, intermidst with tons of controversy, then he'd move on. He won't get it.They'd probably try for Klopp or someone
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline boxinggurunutjob

• Main Stander
  • Boxing Nutter
« Reply #213 on: May 7, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »
He will always be a twat who bought and bullied his way to success.

Twat i can get the bought part is bollocks, hes done nothing different to Man city or Chelsea did and in comparison least he used the Academy for years. Simply to dismiss his success down to a sugar daddy just makes us look bitter. Reality is different.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #214 on: May 7, 2013, 11:22:52 pm »
Doubt it, Ronaldo cant stand Mourinho and he's been there and done that, Madrid has always been his club. What I would be worried about is him bringing back Alonso and Di Maria.

Don't think Alonso would join United. Di Maria possibly, but I've never rated him too much so it doesn't bother me too much

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #215 on: May 7, 2013, 11:23:02 pm »
Hope Moyes does get the job when/if Fergie retires. That'd fuck both Everton and United over, well and truly.

It would mean that the County Road Massive would have to swap their 1st and 2nd teams.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #216 on: May 7, 2013, 11:23:52 pm »
Not a chance in hell that he'll retire. He'll keep going until he wins that 3rd European cup, or he'll die trying. Its one or the other, which ever comes first

He still wouldnt even be the greatest Man U manager.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: May 7, 2013, 11:24:09 pm »
I'd pay the Glazers a lot of money if they sacked him instead for the laughs
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #218 on: May 7, 2013, 11:24:37 pm »
Have never heard this about Ronaldo and Mourinho?  Not saying you're wrong, but where has it come from?
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #219 on: May 7, 2013, 11:24:54 pm »
I'd pay the Glazers a lot of money if they sacked him instead for the laughs

Please invest it in us instead.

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 7, 2013, 11:25:18 pm »
Mourinho would go there for 2 or 3 years. He’s trying to get out of Madrid after a few seasons. He left Inter and Porto as soon as he had won the European Cup. His last season at Chelsea was a bit dire. He is good at getting success but his methods and management style last for 2-3 years tops at one club.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 7, 2013, 11:25:25 pm »
He hasn't declared his interest but he has stated (at length) what a great club United are and it would be traffic to manage them.

'Great family club, really great.'

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 7, 2013, 11:25:59 pm »
Have never heard this about Ronaldo and Mourinho?  Not saying you're wrong, but where has it come from?
Spanish press, Mourinho has apparently fallen out with almost every player at Madrid bar few including Coentrao, Di Maria, Diego Lopez and probably Arbeloa. The rest can't stand him, literally.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #223 on: May 7, 2013, 11:26:32 pm »
Hope Jose signs for Chelsea soon then. Him settling down at United for his long term future is a scary thought.

Mourinho? Long-term? Yeah, that isn't gonna happen. The man is an in-and-out sort of manager. He does as much as he can and then leaves before things start to go downhill. He's done it ever since he made it big with Porto.

I'd be pretty happy to see Mourinho at Man United if I'm honest. He'd win them a lot of trophies but he'd soon fuck off and leave them with another managerial change to deal with.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #224 on: May 7, 2013, 11:27:16 pm »
Twat i can get the bought part is bollocks, hes done nothing different to Man city or Chelsea did and in comparison least he used the Academy for years. Simply to dismiss his success down to a sugar daddy just makes us look bitter. Reality is different.

Long before City or Chelsea got money he was spending £20 and £30 million on players when rivals couldn't afford it. In fact, when Chelsea did get on an even footing he faltered. And now City are/will do the same.

No FA Cup in 10 years. 2 European Cups in 20. His league record is second to none, but so were his resources.

But I agree he will go down as one of the best.

Offline GarraCharrua

• yes i am united fan, please dont ban me
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #225 on: May 7, 2013, 11:29:54 pm »
so the rumour has gone cold now? fuck off The Telegraph and Mirror...   :wanker

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #226 on: May 7, 2013, 11:30:04 pm »

Offline boxinggurunutjob

• Main Stander
  • Boxing Nutter
« Reply #227 on: May 7, 2013, 11:30:43 pm »
Long before City or Chelsea got money he was spending £20 and £30 million on players when rivals couldn't afford it. In fact, when Chelsea did get on an even footing he faltered. And now City are/will do the same.

No FA Cup in 10 years. 2 European Cups in 20. His league record is second to none, but so were his resources.

But I agree he will go down as one of the best.

Yes but so do we, the key difference with him more than any other club or manager when he spends big 90% of the time it pays off. Do we really need to mention Downing, Henderson, Carroll and many other buys. It's ok having the funds it means nothing without spending it wisely.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #228 on: May 7, 2013, 11:30:52 pm »
He did spend a bit of money, but he also got a load of bargains, and bled through some real good players. The spine of his team was just coming into age, and throughout his first couple years; Neville's, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham et al, and he just built on them. He wasted some money, sure, but he also did spend quite wisely

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: May 7, 2013, 11:31:42 pm »

Well I won't be sleeping tonight then
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #230 on: May 7, 2013, 11:32:24 pm »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #231 on: May 7, 2013, 11:32:42 pm »
Yes but so do we, the key difference with him more than any other club or manager when he spends big 90% of the time it pays off. Do we really need to mention Downing, Henderson, Carroll and many other buys. It's ok having the funds it means nothing without spending it wisely.

He's spent his fair share of money on garbage as well. Most of his big buys have been successes though but if anything, the menatality he instills in his players is more a reason for his success than anything else.

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 7, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »
BBC are now reporting it on sportsday that it may be possible....interesting. this has got abit a wind behind it you know. It'll still be bollox tho. cant get myself too excited.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2013, 11:34:55 pm by benn25 »
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #233 on: May 7, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »
Malmö, Bruges, Partizan Beograd, Panathanaikos all played in European finals, Red Star and Steaua Bucharest won the European Cup.
In 47 years that's not a whole pile is it?
I'm not the older era was harder or easier - just different. It's very difficult to legitimately compare the Lisbon Lions to todays Celtic team who reached the last 16. Moreover I consider it a pointless comparison anyway.
No I'm not saying it does, just that the Champions League has better teams in it across the board which makes it more difficult to win. If the system was in place in the 60/70/80's I'm sure we would have the same pattern of winners. In the last 20 years there has been 13 winners while there was only 15 in the 47 years prior.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 7, 2013, 11:33:31 pm »
Please please fuck off. I've gotten my hopes up here. I don't want to be disappointed.

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 7, 2013, 11:37:09 pm »

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #236 on: May 7, 2013, 11:37:10 pm »
The last day Ronaldo said when asked about his manager "I dont care about Mourinho, I care about Madrid"

Also Mourinho has split the dressing room and the way he's been acting the last week cant help matters.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #237 on: May 7, 2013, 11:39:15 pm »
Yes but so do we

In 2001 when he bought Rio Ferdinand for £30m, we were spending that amount? Bollocks
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #238 on: May 7, 2013, 11:40:13 pm »
BBC are now reporting it on sportsday that it may be possible....interesting. this has got abit a wind behind it you know. It'll still be bollox tho. cant get myself too excited.

I'll believe it when Jim White is in the Babelcopter on his way to Old Trafford!

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #239 on: May 7, 2013, 11:42:10 pm »
I call bollocks
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am