The Liverpool FC Forum > Media and Arts

Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.

<< < (1546/1718) > >>

Nobby Reserve:
As for the wider questions, The Eternals is a monumental mistake IMO.

It's not like it's a great film, but as a stand-alone I guess it could have been justified. To claim it part of the MCU is nuts. Not least having to have the enormous, half-emerged Celestial sticking out of the sea from now on. And Harry Styles being Thanos' brother, but also an Eternal? Oh do fuck off.

All I see now id the MCU writers making up ludicrous literary contortions to try to retro-fit additional lore into existing storylines.

It's one of the reasons I could never get into comics. They'd kill off a character then resurrect them. Retro-introduce new timelines to rewrite what you assumed was cannon. Reboot other characters. Nah. Doesn't work for me.

mikey_LFC:

--- Quote from: Nobby Reserve on February  3, 2023, 10:59:18 am ---
On that point, I still can't get my head round why the made the Blip period so long.

5 years is a hugely long period of time, and would create such massive problems in the real world

Sure, it gave some short-term shock-value and scope for a little bit of comedy moments. But it creates such a massive headache going forwards, as viewers now pick apart how, with only a few exceptions (designed to suit MCU writers), how the impacts of the Blip are largely glossed-over with just some brief reference (which comes across as a tick-box exercise to say "see, we've remembered to make reference to the Blip")

Would keeping it to 6 months or a year really have taken anything from the End Game story?

--- End quote ---

I know it reduces the stakes in a way, but the best thing would have been for endgame to undo the blip completely. We’d still have that moment but we could carry on building off of the world we knew. There would still have been the psychological issues for those who remembered the five or so years but they could have been kept to a select handful of avengers, which would have made for a clear and manageable storyline to follow on from.

--- Quote from: Nobby Reserve on February  3, 2023, 11:06:05 am ---As for the wider questions, The Eternals is a monumental mistake IMO.

It's not like it's a great film, but as a stand-alone I guess it could have been justified. To claim it part of the MCU is nuts. Not least having to have the enormous, half-emerged Celestial sticking out of the sea from now on. And Harry Styles being Thanos' brother, but also an Eternal? Oh do fuck off.

All I see now id the MCU writers making up ludicrous literary contortions to try to retro-fit additional lore into existing storylines.

It's one of the reasons I could never get into comics. They'd kill off a character then resurrect them. Retro-introduce new timelines to rewrite what you assumed was cannon. Reboot other characters. Nah. Doesn't work for me.

--- End quote ---

I completely agree. This sort of thing needs to be written in from the start even if not shown directly or not at all. If they want to do it then the best option is a reboot or a separate series connected to the MCU but offworld or at least not impacting the day to day lives of people.

tubby:
Wakanda was very average.  How on earth did a high school kid manage to build a prototype Iron Man suit with built in jets and lasers?  Stark had a billion dollar company behind him and years of experimenting/designing.

gerrardisgod:
I thought the design was terrible too (I know she’s only a kid, but it’s established she’s some sort of genius). It looked like a Beetleborg!

Scottymuser:
I think Phase 4's major issue is just too much across too little time.  Almost all the films are as good as anything in Phase 1 (excepting Avengers Assembler itself) - Thor 4, whilst a let down from 3, was way better than 1; only Eternals is not better than Iron Man 2 and Hulk  (personally, they are 2 of the worst 4 MCU films full stop, along with Eternals, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2); Spiderman NWH was really fucking good (best live action SM for my money); Shang Chi is brilliant; Dr Strange pretty good.  Wakanda Forever is a solid 6.5/10 film, ditto Black Widow.  Having those 7 films come out in a 18 month window due to Covid definitely didn't help.

Then there is the accompanying tv shows which add more ballast - Loki/Ms Marvel/Wandavision were all just brilliant for my money, and She Hulk was pretty good; but then you had the mediocre Moon Knight; and the rest are a bit above average if that (Falcon, and Hawkeye).

Phase 1, on the other hand, came out across a total of four years, which gave audiences more time between them.  Even then, nothing is better than a 7/10 for me pre-Avengers itself (for my ranking - Captain America 1 + Thor 1 = 7/10; Iron Man 1 - 6.5/10; Iron Man 2 3/10; Hulk 4/10).  But because it was the start of something new, and we didn't have the expectation, it was fresh. 

Even Phase 2, with 6 films across almost 30 months had it's issues - 3 great films (Winter Soldier, GOTG and Ant Man), 1 average film (Avengers 2), and 2 actively AWFUL films (Thor 2, Iron Man 3) - but didn't have umpteen other tv series on Disney+ that you felt you had to check out because they tied in in X/Y way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version