The Liverpool FC Forum > Inspire a RAWKite

Play Football

(1/86) > >>

Corkboy:
We're all presumably football fans on here (with the exception of one poster who memorably said that she wasn't a Liverpool fan, or even a football fan, just a Xabi Alonso fan) but how many play?

This isn't a "how much do you play/how good are you" type thread. Rather, as a person of advancing years, I found myself grinning from ear to ear quite a few times in recent weeks after playing football. I had a break from it for a while due to some knee issues and when you're not playing, you forget how enjoyable it is. Not just for the fitness element, or the banter, but the sheer joy of controlling the ball and passing it, or the marvellous thwack sound the ball makes when you get a decent block on someone's shot. The happiness of movement, of being on the same wavelength as a teammate, or even the simple pleasure of knocking a ball around on the road with your kid ("control, pass, control, pass"). Even the jeers when you attempt a backflick which is easily picked off by the other side and they go up and score, it's all part of the fun. There really are few things to beat it.

Most of all, when you're playing, you forget the mortgage and the job (or lack thereof) and all the other problems of life. For an hour or so, it's just you and a bunch of other people watching and running and anticipating, shots and tackles and passes. It's a great thing for emptying the head.

So, today's message is, no matter how depressing club matters are at the moment, if you're able, you can always just go play football. Sometimes, when you've had a crap day and you're tired and cranky, you mightn't feel like it but it's always worth it.

brownie 09:
i reckon we should have a rawk tournement! be brilliant! 5 aside tournement! everyone sign up and just randomly pick the teams! but yeah just reading that op makes me want to play footy now!!

Paris Saint-Germain:
Season break for me...

Playing in a private league in Budapest and I really can't wait for next season!!!

Haaa playing football, and above all, the beers afterwards with the teammates...

James Mac:
Every Sunday with a group of friends (or if people are on holiday/hungover/whatever, we play with a group of Egyptians in a different park - bit more competitive though). Used to think I'd make the Liverpool team, then the other day my Dad told me he knew I'd never make it.  :'(  ;D

I agree, it's a special feeling, playing football. You forget about everything in the world other than this game - it gives you the chance to dream, or rather, to live (sort of) that dream of playing for Liverpool.

Istanbul Therapy Group:

--- Quote from: corkboy on July 23, 2010, 02:38:05 pm ---So, today's message is, no matter how depressing club matters are at the moment, if you're able, you can always just go play football. Sometimes, when you've had a crap day and you're tired and cranky, you mightn't feel like it but it's always worth it.

--- End quote ---

Completely agree, always surprises me how serious i take every game, every pass i misplace, chance i miss, i'm always properly pissed off. Mad, it just doesn't matter, but its a great stress relief.

Plus nothing like nutmegging one of your mates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version