Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1043258 times)

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition
« Reply #9840 on: November 27, 2022, 12:33:20 pm »
Jenas is painfully bland. He’s like an AI that’s been fed lines about football. He’s what I imagine football pundits will sound like in the metaverse.

It is like he grew up playing FIFA with the AI generated crowd commentary - single one liners that really don't have much to do with what is actually happening on the pitch - and used that as the template for his style of punditry.

Jenas is truly awful to the point where paint refuses to dry in his presence and tris to escape.

His agent, on the other hand, is some sort of God getting Jenas the work he has. Whatever his % is... it is not enough - and yet also... far too much ;)

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9841 on: November 27, 2022, 01:39:30 pm »
I'm sure jenas ticks quite a few boxes though for those in charge of such things.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9842 on: November 27, 2022, 09:58:54 pm »
As a neutral I feel American commentators are better than British commentators these days.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #9843 on: November 27, 2022, 10:10:20 pm »
Pochettino doesn't really say much beyond the obvious, given he's meant to be a genius and England/United/Chelsea/Spurs's saviour. Might be a language thing but he did work here for the best part of a decade.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9844 on: November 28, 2022, 08:08:52 am »
That reminds me, what's happened to Alan Green? Haven't heard of/from him for yonks.  He was the same, if a game was cack he'd say so.

Nudged out the BBC door I believe a couple of years back, when his contract wasn't renewed.

Always liked his commentary and of course a top Red, though he tried his best to hide it. Saw him one time before he commentated on a European match at Anfield and he had his son with him, decked out in scarf and colours.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9845 on: November 28, 2022, 10:44:49 am »
Thought Andros Townsend was decent this morning as a co commentator. At the very least, seems like a guy who enjoys football which seems a rarity in the commentary box these days. The rest of them just sound bored waiting for the next England game so that they can belittle the opposition.

I've enjoyed him a lot actually. His dad, Troy, is on the Guardian Football Weekly every now and again and is decent. Andros seems to understand and like football which is rare in commentators. It helps that's he's on with Seb Hutchinson who I also really like. Seb is infectious, really enjoys his job.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9846 on: November 28, 2022, 03:15:22 pm »
Jermaine Jenas irons his socks, pass it on.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9847 on: November 28, 2022, 04:11:39 pm »
Lee Dixon makes Murphy sound positive. Never stops criticising and moaning.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #9848 on: November 28, 2022, 05:05:02 pm »
Luckily ITV’s sound mixing is shite because I can barely hear him.  Or maybe my tv’s broken. 

Offline Xabisfeet

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9849 on: December 2, 2022, 07:41:23 pm »
Is anyone listening to the 5 Live commentary tonight?

An absolute embarrassment.  Prioritized chat about Chris Sutton and commentator about their living accommodation and pre-prepared piss-taking of the referee.  You aren't the show.

"The public gets what the public wants?

Not me.  Makes me feel sick

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9850 on: December 2, 2022, 07:59:06 pm »
f**king Joe Cole - I can't understand a word the little twat says

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9851 on: December 3, 2022, 05:35:58 pm »

Seems like Keown had a 'mare during the Netherlands v USA match on the BBC (or just a regular match for him)...

'BBC Viewers Were Driven Mad By Martin Keown During Netherlands-USA':-

www.balls.ie/football/martin-keown-bbc-commentary-netherlands-usa-535310

^ reading some of that... sounds about right for him  ::)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #9852 on: December 3, 2022, 10:48:46 pm »
A personal bugbear is “sent the ‘keeper the wrong way” after a successful penalty. The bloke on SKY just used it despite the keeper almost getting his hand to the ball.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9853 on: December 3, 2022, 11:47:05 pm »
A personal bugbear is “sent the ‘keeper the wrong way” after a successful penalty. The bloke on SKY just used it despite the keeper almost getting his hand to the ball.
I've never understood ppl saying "he missed a penalty" when he didn't miss - it was saved.  2 totally different things.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #9854 on: December 3, 2022, 11:51:29 pm »
I do find it odd that Jenas, Murphy and Dixon get so much work. They're bland and don't suggest any significant understanding of the game. Even moreso they seem to come from the Mark Lawrenson school of "seeming to be bored when being paid to chat about football for a living".

I find it hard as when I was a kid, my dream job was being a football commentator ;D So I just can't fathom how they seem to suck the joy from it. You get an Ally McCoist involved on co-comms and you really see the right vibe for it. You don't have to be Chris Kamara (though I'd much rather listen to him than Danny Murphy) but a bit of a spark, some personality, something.

It's just bizarre. There must be better options than this.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #9855 on: December 3, 2022, 11:54:28 pm »
I've never understood ppl saying "he missed a penalty" when he didn't miss - it was saved.  2 totally different things.

Yup, agree on that too. Lazy use of familiar but inaccurate tropes.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9856 on: December 4, 2022, 02:32:42 am »
It is like he grew up playing FIFA with the AI generated crowd commentary - single one liners that really don't have much to do with what is actually happening on the pitch - and used that as the template for his style of punditry.

Jenas is truly awful to the point where paint refuses to dry in his presence and tris to escape.

His agent, on the other hand, is some sort of God getting Jenas the work he has. Whatever his % is... it is not enough - and yet also... far too much ;)

I think you have something with the AI generated thing, but don't go far enough and his entire personality was actually generated by the game.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9857 on: December 4, 2022, 01:05:21 pm »
I do find it odd that Jenas, Murphy and Dixon get so much work. They're bland and don't suggest any significant understanding of the game. Even moreso they seem to come from the Mark Lawrenson school of "seeming to be bored when being paid to chat about football for a living".

I find it hard as when I was a kid, my dream job was being a football commentator ;D So I just can't fathom how they seem to suck the joy from it. You get an Ally McCoist involved on co-comms and you really see the right vibe for it. You don't have to be Chris Kamara (though I'd much rather listen to him than Danny Murphy) but a bit of a spark, some personality, something.

It's just bizarre. There must be better options than this.

McManaman is the same, sound like he absolutely hates watching football. I remember when the lockdowns were on and theres was no crowds. These lads had a privilege that was taken away from the rest of us and sounded like they hated every minute. They're just full of the same old boring one liners. "you'd of scored that one" "he'd of scored that last season" "the striker gambled" "the game will be won and lost if midfield"
You can guarantee every one of them will use all of the same lines in every single game. I'd like to see more ex managers commentate. Not ex managers like Gary Neville who managed for about 3 weeks.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9858 on: December 4, 2022, 01:11:27 pm »
Keown isn’t the worst but he’s easily the thickest the BBC use. Within the space of 30 seconds yesterday he went from telling us Xavi Simons has been outstanding for PSV to being a lucky inclusion for Netherlands and that him coming on was probably a sub to keep the media happy. His knowledge of tactics and formations seems basic at best. He doesn’t ever say anything that gives you any idea he once worked for Arsene Wenger.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #9859 on: December 4, 2022, 01:22:47 pm »
Every bit of praise he gives is always “outstanding”, reminds me of Ted Danson in Curb calling everything “heaven”.
AHA!

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9860 on: December 4, 2022, 01:53:57 pm »
the most miserable SOB in football.  sounds like he's being held hostage and forced to speak.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9861 on: December 4, 2022, 02:00:35 pm »
McManaman is the same, sound like he absolutely hates watching football. I remember when the lockdowns were on and theres was no crowds. These lads had a privilege that was taken away from the rest of us and sounded like they hated every minute. They're just full of the same old boring one liners. "you'd of scored that one" "he'd of scored that last season" "the striker gambled" "the game will be won and lost if midfield"
You can guarantee every one of them will use all of the same lines in every single game. I'd like to see more ex managers commentate. Not ex managers like Gary Neville who managed for about 3 weeks.
was gonna post that.  someone with some real insight / wisdom about the game, plus actual verbal skills would be wonderful.  it's great to hear a pundit pointing out something you'd never notice / been aware of.

but an ex-manager who didn't have an axe to grind - or wasn't looking to get a new job as a manager - might be hard to find.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9862 on: December 5, 2022, 08:35:35 pm »
Came across this compilation video on Youtube of various commentators reacting to the Henderson goal against Senegal. No surprise to anyone that Martin Tyler's commentary is far and away the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxfa5y3DRT8

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9863 on: December 5, 2022, 08:48:16 pm »
Came across this compilation video on Youtube of various commentators reacting to the Henderson goal against Senegal. No surprise to anyone that Martin Tyler's commentary is far and away the worst.

Bloody hell, I wasn't expecting it to be so miserable in comparison. Twat of a man.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #9864 on: December 5, 2022, 09:13:26 pm »

Bloody hell, I wasn't expecting it to be so miserable in comparison. Twat of a man.
Him and ratboy don't even try to disguise their disdain for anything Liverpool.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9865 on: December 5, 2022, 10:45:56 pm »
was gonna post that.  someone with some real insight / wisdom about the game, plus actual verbal skills would be wonderful.  it's great to hear a pundit pointing out something you'd never notice / been aware of.

but an ex-manager who didn't have an axe to grind - or wasn't looking to get a new job as a manager - might be hard to find.
I think someone in here said Rafa punditry was great.
Id actually want to listen to Ferguson or Wenger. Id bet mouriniho would give a lot of tactical insight. Even moyesie would be worth a listen.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9866 on: December 5, 2022, 10:49:11 pm »
I think Mourinho did do some on-air punditry a couple of years ago?  maybe it was for the Euros or something?

I never saw it over here but recall reading he was good.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #9867 on: December 5, 2022, 11:02:47 pm »
'Richarlison has 19 goals in 40 games, you do the math that’s a goal a game' :lmao

https://twitter.com/ScottEaglen/status/1599835963219660801
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9868 on: December 5, 2022, 11:21:49 pm »
'Richarlison has 19 goals in 40 games, you do the math that’s a goal a game' :lmao

https://twitter.com/ScottEaglen/status/1599835963219660801
dear god .... :)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9869 on: December 6, 2022, 11:19:41 am »
I think Mourinho did do some on-air punditry a couple of years ago?  maybe it was for the Euros or something?

I never saw it over here but recall reading he was good.

He did a little bit for Sky when he was in between jobs. He was great. It sounds so silly but he talked about stuff like defensive walls and how they were set wrong at Utd because of the positioning of the players of different height and the problem it would give to a keeper. He at least offered something you don't hear from the other lads. None of your "you'd have scored that one" guff followed by a massive laughter.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #9870 on: December 6, 2022, 11:31:28 am »
Mourinho is great as a pundit, he's charming, knowledgeable and takes things in good humour.  It's when he's got any skin in the game that he turns into a whiney, bitchy twat.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9871 on: December 6, 2022, 12:33:17 pm »
Mourinho is great as a pundit, he's charming, knowledgeable and takes things in good humour.  It's when he's got any skin in the game that he turns into a whiney, bitchy twat.

Correct.

Wenger, Howe, Rafa, Jurgen all done great bits that you not pick up from laughing boy Richards.

Eddie Howe was on once and was good I think it was Neville who questioned something from an attacking corner, where the attacking players should be placed etc to defend counter and Howe just ruined him with why he was wrong (Although he didnt say Gary you are wrong!)

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #9872 on: December 6, 2022, 12:52:39 pm »
Vicky Sparks on the radio.  I've tried to focus just on her commentary which isn't at all bad really but I just can't get past her voice.  Nasally Estuary English with a twang of Alan Carr and dose of Harry Enfield's "You Don't Want to do it Like That" character.  It's like fingernails down a blackboard for me.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9873 on: December 6, 2022, 06:43:58 pm »
 :D

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9874 on: December 6, 2022, 06:45:56 pm »
Vicky Sparks on the radio.  I've tried to focus just on her commentary which isn't at all bad really but I just can't get past her voice.  Nasally Estuary English with a twang of Alan Carr and dose of Harry Enfield's "You Don't Want to do it Like That" character.  It's like fingernails down a blackboard for me.

it's a really fucking weird accent. it's like essex crossed with south africa.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9875 on: December 6, 2022, 07:10:40 pm »
So as the game kicks off Tyldsley says “Anyway, let’s not talk about Ronaldo”

8 minutes on the clock, and he’s brought him up 3 times.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9876 on: December 6, 2022, 09:00:49 pm »
So as the game kicks off Tyldsley says “Anyway, let’s not talk about Ronaldo”

8 minutes on the clock, and he’s brought him up 3 times.
I wish someone would lock Ronaldo, Trump and Musk in a room together and leave them there.  forever.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9877 on: December 7, 2022, 06:42:30 pm »

'My 8th World Cup in the job of my dreams and the first time I’m going to be home before England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿! Thank you for your company x':-

^ https://twitter.com/CliveTyldesley/status/1600473258356252674

I haven't seen any matches in Qatar - though imagine him and McCoist have been better than the others? (they usually are; Ronaldo & Utd mentions apart...)

Strange decision to send him home now - why not give viewers the choice of audio commentary for matches? (including a 'stadium-noise only' / commentary-free option)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9878 on: December 7, 2022, 07:04:50 pm »
Strange decision to send him home now - why not give viewers the choice of audio commentary for matches? (including a 'stadium-noise only' / commentary-free option)

Yeah, don't know why broadcasters don't do that, it's so much more enjoyable matches when there's less waffling from commentators, most if not all feel the need to keep talking constantly for some reason. Or just do away with them and co-commentators, it'll be so much better and save the broadcasters a lot of money, and they won't need to send them to far away play travelling business class. Everybody wins.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9879 on: December 7, 2022, 08:03:19 pm »
Is anyone listening to the 5 Live commentary tonight?

An absolute embarrassment.  Prioritized chat about Chris Sutton and commentator about their living accommodation and pre-prepared piss-taking of the referee.  You aren't the show.

"The public gets what the public wants?

Not me.  Makes me feel sick

Sutton complains and moans, while spending half the time commenting on unrelated things that have nothing to do with the game. Upson has been quite good. I'm surprised he hasn't been picked up to do more TV stuff. Nevin and Rob Green are alright as well