Author Topic: One Man's Mission to X $44 billion Goodbye  (Read 67678 times)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Twitter?
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2022, 12:41:15 am »
Because the right are better at culture wars than the left.

"you cant say anything racist these days without the woke brigade shutting down free speech" 

and this is framed as a bad thing.
"In my day, I could come in from work, wife would have the tea on the table, I'd go down the pub and have a skin full, come back, wreck the house and verbally and physically abuse the wife, I can't do that now because of the PC leftie woke crowd, it's a disgrace".

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: May 14, 2022, 02:52:19 am »
If he removes the restrictions on reading tweets without being logged in I'll be happy.

That would be the last thing he'd do. He wants you inside the app and will probably implement some sort of basic subscription fee of about $2-3 per month max.

He's recently held back on sealing the deal. Probably wants a cheaper purchase price by saying that the fake account % is probably higher than the suggested 5%.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: July 8, 2022, 10:45:27 pm »
Musk has withdrawn now.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: July 9, 2022, 01:44:11 am »
Musk has withdrawn now.

That would be a first for him.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2022, 05:34:12 pm »
What the fuck is that all about.
I've heard a couple of people wanking themselves silly about it over weekend, and I wondered what it's all about.
Is it just another FuckFacebook/MySpace/Bebo load of shite or what?

I wouldn't concern myself, it's all a load of shite

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: July 19, 2022, 08:12:03 pm »
This account is always good for a bit of a laugh if anyone is interested

https://twitter.com/80sAging/status/1549466675849953280?t=jro_7f7F7Qf3a8D1rY5kSw&s=19

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #326 on: January 14, 2023, 08:40:24 am »
Looks like Twitter have removed access for 3rd party apps 🤨

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2023, 08:59:40 am »
Seems like they've now fully blocked browsing without an account? Every time I try to view a link I get redirected to the login screen.

You can work around it by replacing twitter.com to nitter.net in any links you have. Nitter seems to just be a nicer way to use twitter, it has a dark theme by default and I think removes ads (I use an adblock so I'm not certain).

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #328 on: June 30, 2023, 01:26:49 pm »

Twitter have seemingly changed their settings so anyone not logged in / doesn't have twitter... can't see accounts, posts or content.

That'll not go down well with regular users, news outlets, journalists, charities, community groups, celebs, various customer support depts, and advertisers etc. Bad decision after bad decision from Musk (another narrow-minded attempt to get people to join?).

Seems like they've now fully blocked browsing without an account? Every time I try to view a link I get redirected to the login screen.

You can work around it by replacing twitter.com to nitter.net in any links you have. Nitter seems to just be a nicer way to use twitter, it has a dark theme by default and I think removes ads (I use an adblock so I'm not certain).

Nice one, thanks mate ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 02:12:08 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: June 30, 2023, 10:06:18 pm »
Nice one, thanks mate ;D

And of course now that I've told people about it, it's down! Not sure if it's intentional or not but either way twitter seems to be off the menu for the time being.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2023, 10:14:33 pm »
And of course now that I've told people about it, it's down! Not sure if it's intentional or not but either way twitter seems to be off the menu for the time being.

It's really schmidty when clever workarounds get publicized, then shut down... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: June 30, 2023, 10:25:57 pm »

Ah. I wasn't sure if it was just a glitch, or if it was just the Noel page. I'm surprised there are enough people left at Twitter to block it off to be honest. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: June 30, 2023, 11:01:33 pm »
Ah. I wasn't sure if it was just a glitch, or if it was just the Noel page. I'm surprised there are enough people left at Twitter to block it off to be honest. ;D

When it comes to fucking shit up there's always someone on call.

One of the alternate nitter links posted the following:

Nitter.cz is not working, just like all other Nitter instances. The reason is Twitter blocking all access to it's content without login.

We are sorry, but there is nothing we can do about it right now and we are not sure if the situation will change in the future.

Don't trust corporations, especially those where one egomaniac has all the power.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:03:31 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2023, 11:10:44 pm »
If Musk thinks he's going to force people to sign up for twitter by blocking unrestricted access to it, then he really really really doesn't understand how people work.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: June 30, 2023, 11:31:17 pm »
I've locked the Elon Musk thread in the News board.
Twitter as a platform should be discussed in here please.
Let us know if you want it moved though - possibly to the News or Boozer board?

Ta.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2023, 11:32:50 pm »
I've locked the Elon Musk thread in the News board.
Twitter as a platform should be discussed in here please.
Let us know if you want it moved though - possibly to the News or Boozer board?

Ta.

Thanks, John. I don't spend much time in the Tech board, so kind of forgot there was a twitter thread.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: June 30, 2023, 11:46:12 pm »
Musk now claiming, on Twitter of course, that the blocking of Twitter for those without accounts is a temporary measure due to too many different actors using the API to scrape data, causing the service to slow down.

Hopefully it should be back, as much as I'd like to find an alternative it still seems to be the main place for news to appear first.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: July 1, 2023, 12:02:21 am »
He's so full of shit.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: July 1, 2023, 12:17:14 am »
Twitter is good for getting news as it breaks.

But as a football fan, seeing the sensationalist sheep-mentality shite on there is depressing.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: July 1, 2023, 09:46:04 am »
With Twitter gone to shit (anyone else's feed been absolutely crammed with ads the last few weeks? About 1 in 5 tweets in timeline is Promoted), and Reddit going the same way due to their API changes (the app I use for Reddit has just shut down today along with loads of others), we reall yneed t go back to a time where not everything on the internet was condensed down into a few sites.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: July 1, 2023, 10:04:16 am »

Its a pain in the arse
I got a perm ban last year, so was relying on browsing in incognito mode, Ive had to use my mates mobile to set up a new account, didnt really want to join up again.
Musk is such a twat
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: July 1, 2023, 10:55:46 am »
Musk now claiming, on Twitter of course, that the blocking of Twitter for those without accounts is a temporary measure due to too many different actors using the API to scrape data, causing the service to slow down.

Hopefully it should be back, as much as I'd like to find an alternative it still seems to be the main place for news to appear first.

He's probably seeing how many might actually register in a 48-72 hour period before allowing access again.

I'm not that desperate. I can cope with my news being a little slower and bit processed.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Twitter
« Reply #342 on: July 1, 2023, 03:12:26 pm »
There's a "rate limit exceeded" bug now. Absolute cesspit since Musk took over.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #343 on: July 1, 2023, 03:25:26 pm »
Crashes more times than a ZX81
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: July 1, 2023, 03:43:22 pm »
He's probably seeing how many might actually register in a 48-72 hour period before allowing access again.

I'm not that desperate. I can cope with my news being a little slower and bit processed.

This did cross my mind too, completely disabling browsing without an account would be a slow death, but disabling it for a few days here and there might be a way to get people to create accounts.

Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that happens when platforms decide it's time to prioritise monetising the users they have.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: July 1, 2023, 04:18:07 pm »

Same, Just completely not loading for me.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: July 1, 2023, 04:33:45 pm »
Best thing he's done is blocking it completely for the non account folk.It can be useful for breaking news but it's nice not to see the shit in the sewer.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: July 1, 2023, 06:18:16 pm »

This is fucking insanity…..

Literally destroying the whole pint of twitter …

600 post views a day?  I mean, that’s absurd.

What utter fuckwittery
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: July 1, 2023, 06:39:19 pm »
Data scraping isn't some new phenomenon, I worked on a game that barely anyone played yet we still had to deal with some dickhead scraping the leaderboards hundreds of times per second. I'm assuming it's a problem they've been dealing with for a long time but some change has made it more of a problem and they don't have the people/expertise to quickly resolve it.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #349 on: July 1, 2023, 06:39:35 pm »
I’ve refreshed 600 times already trying to get the Big Dom latest by the look of it.

What’s the reason for that decision (apart from him being a crackpot)?

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: July 1, 2023, 06:46:21 pm »
The servers can't handle the load they're experiencing, so placing limits on how much people can view reduces the load.

The goal should be to catch people who are using tools to make huge numbers of requests, but setting the limits as low as they have suggests that they can't even handle normal users right now.

For a service that's ad-driven and so typically wants as many people viewing as many threads as possible, this seems like a monumental fuck up.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #351 on: July 1, 2023, 06:48:57 pm »

I'd imagine companies that paid to promote tweets should be calling their legal team quite soon. I'm sure there's something in the T&Cs for that... yet those companies will not be happy.

There won't be many goal, save or incident footy videos from me anymore. Sorry, I've never had a twitter account and don't intend to start - especially under Musk.

« Last Edit: July 1, 2023, 06:52:04 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: July 1, 2023, 06:50:45 pm »
I'd imagine companies that paid to promote tweets should be calling their legal team quite soon. I'm sure there' something in the T&Cs for that... yet those companies will not be happy.

As an aside, I've spent the last few weeks (really I have always done this but the number of ads seen in last few weeks has skyrocketed) blocking every single account that appears as a promoted tweet in my timeline. Companies literally paying to get blocked.

I know there are loads of people doing this as well.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: July 1, 2023, 06:56:55 pm »
Fuckin' Dickhead!

Next few weeks will be people saying barely anything.  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: July 1, 2023, 07:04:18 pm »
I reckon he’s not paid for the web hosting  so has been throttled back …or something
W

Offline cheesemason

• Kopite
« Reply #355 on: July 1, 2023, 07:18:51 pm »
One self inflicted wound after another. It’s meant I’ve now gone and deleted a load of people I follow I’m not as bothered about so they don’t take up part of my limit. People will be really happy when they start losing loads of followers

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #356 on: July 1, 2023, 08:07:38 pm »
One self inflicted wound after another. It’s meant I’ve now gone and deleted a load of people I follow I’m not as bothered about so they don’t take up part of my limit. People will be really happy when they start losing loads of followers
For people who use ‘For You’ it’s more difficult. I hated it at first but been using it more over the last few weeks as it’s useful for transfers etc. They should just limit people to 10 tweets a day or something unless verified.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #357 on: July 1, 2023, 08:10:06 pm »
I can now see tweets but can’t read any replies (arguably no bad thing).

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: July 1, 2023, 08:11:19 pm »
With Twitter gone to shit (anyone else's feed been absolutely crammed with ads the last few weeks? About 1 in 5 tweets in timeline is Promoted), and Reddit going the same way due to their API changes (the app I use for Reddit has just shut down today along with loads of others), we reall yneed t go back to a time where not everything on the internet was condensed down into a few sites.

Excuse my ignorance, why do people use third party apps rather than the primary Reddit app?

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #359 on: July 1, 2023, 08:11:40 pm »
What a shitshow.