Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 332855 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)
« Reply #5000 on: November 30, 2022, 04:23:49 pm »
I did ponder, as I looked at the leaden skies, "Get used to this" as anticyclonic gloom is going to be a feature for the next several days.

The ECMWF model is solid on retrogressing the high to Greenland, but GFS less so. If it does, the circulation of the air should become 'cleaner', especially for us in the west.

Hoping for some frontal feature to slide NE->SW once the cold air gets established. We had two great lead-ups to Xmas in 2009 and, especially, 2010. Would love a repeat with plenty of snow on the ground.

Fuck that, HGV drivers will be getting run ragged at Xmas, dry roads are what's needed, not snow and the country grinding to a halt.

2010 I think it was , we had 3 trucks stuck in one Tesco Store in Middlesborough, I pulled a bang on 15 hour shift as it was dead slow going getting anywhere and struggled to get into one yard due to the snow.

It goes dead in January, you can have your snow then  :wave
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5001 on: November 30, 2022, 07:08:24 pm »
Yes please! Can you arrange the transport..?
Rob's yer man for that......he pulls 15 hour shift, as well as 15 ton trailers......

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5002 on: November 30, 2022, 07:34:11 pm »
was on the verge of putting the heating on today, but lit a few candles and did 20 minutes on the treadmill. Feeling much warmer now.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5003 on: November 30, 2022, 07:44:46 pm »
was on the verge of putting the heating on today, but lit a few candles and did 20 minutes on the treadmill. Feeling much warmer now.
Hook the treadmill up to a dynamo connected to the heating.......
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KUzLcbiImWY&amp;ab_channel=ScienceGeeks" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KUzLcbiImWY&amp;ab_channel=ScienceGeeks</a>

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5004 on: November 30, 2022, 08:31:55 pm »
Rob's yer man for that......he pulls 15 hour shift, as well as 15 ton trailers......

and on a pair of shorts, no matter the weather...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5005 on: November 30, 2022, 09:32:13 pm »
Fuck that, HGV drivers will be getting run ragged at Xmas, dry roads are what's needed, not snow and the country grinding to a halt.

2010 I think it was , we had 3 trucks stuck in one Tesco Store in Middlesborough, I pulled a bang on 15 hour shift as it was dead slow going getting anywhere and struggled to get into one yard due to the snow.

It goes dead in January, you can have your snow then  :wave

I hate snow, particularly when it turns to ice, & i'm like bambi on ice when walking on the pavements, which never get treated like the roads do, so you either try your luck with the pavements, or walk on the road near the kerb dicing with the traffic. :(
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5006 on: November 30, 2022, 09:36:11 pm »
I hate snow, particularly when it turns to ice, & i'm like bambi on ice when walking on the pavements, which never get treated like the roads do, so you either try your luck with the pavements, or walk on the road near the kerb dicing with the traffic. :(

But isn't that adding of mild peril exciting? It knocks us out of our comfortable existences.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5007 on: November 30, 2022, 09:52:24 pm »

But isn't that adding of mild peril exciting? It knocks us out of our comfortable existences.

Not for me it isn't, i'd rather have a mild winter, like what we have been having recently.

Their's also the cost of heating, my boiler was 35p an hour, now it's more than doubled, i'm on that PAYG meter, so already watch how much i have on, it'll be worse if we have a cold snap.

#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5008 on: November 30, 2022, 11:40:28 pm »
Hook the treadmill up to a dynamo connected to the heating.......
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KUzLcbiImWY&amp;ab_channel=ScienceGeeks" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KUzLcbiImWY&amp;ab_channel=ScienceGeeks</a>

;D

I may well do because I'm a stubborn fucker this winter.  :P

Although my main concern right now is not setting off the fire alarm by putting all the candles out at once. :lmao

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5009 on: December 1, 2022, 08:38:01 am »

;D

I may well do because I'm a stubborn fucker this winter.  :P

Although my main concern right now is not setting off the fire alarm by putting all the candles out at once. :lmao

Get yourself a Russian Dwarf Hamster as in the gif. My kids had one, I've never seen a hamster run so much or so fast in the wheel.

Before he even got it, this was while he was still asking for one, my lad had decided to call the Hamster Speedy Steve and it couldn't have been a more apt name.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5010 on: December 1, 2022, 09:29:45 am »
Not for me it isn't, i'd rather have a mild winter, like what we have been having recently.

Their's also the cost of heating, my boiler was 35p an hour, now it's more than doubled, i'm on that PAYG meter, so already watch how much i have on, it'll be worse if we have a cold snap.

Yeah this winter we NEED it to be mild or people are going to die. We've used £1.37 in gas this morning with the heating being on for about half an hour, it's £12 already this week. We have a leccy shower, so the gas is used to heat water for the washing up and the heating and that's it. Normally it's a couple of quid a week. According to the smart meter we've spent £260 this year on gas, now we're looking at £80 to £100 a month. We're lucky enough to be able to afford that, but millions of people are not able to.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5011 on: December 1, 2022, 10:02:02 am »
and the anticyclonic gloom and coastal haar 🥶

Haar moving off the Firth of Forth into Edinburgh

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9mJ2Qv2JpnHSWJ4YA
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5012 on: December 1, 2022, 11:01:55 am »
Yeah this winter we NEED it to be mild or people are going to die. We've used £1.37 in gas this morning with the heating being on for about half an hour, it's £12 already this week. We have a leccy shower, so the gas is used to heat water for the washing up and the heating and that's it. Normally it's a couple of quid a week. According to the smart meter we've spent £260 this year on gas, now we're looking at £80 to £100 a month. We're lucky enough to be able to afford that, but millions of people are not able to.
Watch them Rob, especially as your kids get older and spend more time in the shower. They are 8-12 Kwh which is £2.75-4 per hour. I didn't realise how much they used until an electrician told me. Our kids were 20 odd minutes a day when they were teens. Imagine that over a quid a shower for 14 showers per week.

People who must have the heat on like the old and the sick and large families are really going to suffer this winter.

We've just replaced a 40 odd year old boiler that was about 50% efficient if we were lucky, and have had the heating on twice a day for a couple of hours plus hot water - even with a brand new boiler it's over £5 per day.

Edit: Great pic ^

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5013 on: December 1, 2022, 12:52:10 pm »
Watch them Rob, especially as your kids get older and spend more time in the shower. They are 8-12 Kwh which is £2.75-4 per hour. I didn't realise how much they used until an electrician told me. Our kids were 20 odd minutes a day when they were teens. Imagine that over a quid a shower for 14 showers per week.

People who must have the heat on like the old and the sick and large families are really going to suffer this winter.

We've just replaced a 40 odd year old boiler that was about 50% efficient if we were lucky, and have had the heating on twice a day for a couple of hours plus hot water - even with a brand new boiler it's over £5 per day.

Edit: Great pic ^

The kids were fuckers for standing in the shower for ages, they are now allowed 4 minutes and that's it. They've been good though and have stuck to it.

We've a Worcester Greenstar, about 10 years old at most. The house is a nightmare to keep warm as there are no cavities

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5014 on: December 1, 2022, 01:54:25 pm »
The kids were fuckers for standing in the shower for ages, they are now allowed 4 minutes and that's it. They've been good though and have stuck to it.

We've a Worcester Greenstar, about 10 years old at most. The house is a nightmare to keep warm as there are no cavities

Good thing your house flosses...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5015 on: December 1, 2022, 02:05:35 pm »
I count myself lucky, being in an energy efficient new build flat. My old place was a concrete ice cube built onto a Georgian frontage with 11 foot high ceilings and E7 storage heaters. I'd be amazed if it could make double digits temperature without heating.

This morning in my new place it was 16C, and the candles bumped it up to 17C. Plus I had a brisk stroll on my treadmill. I fear for old people and families this year; so much so I feel reluctant to put my own heating on.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5016 on: December 1, 2022, 02:11:24 pm »

;D
I knew you'd be on it Rob. What do you do, stand outside the bathroom with a stopwatch?

In the early days in our current house, before we had log burners put in, we did 36000Kwh one year. It was bad enough at 3.5p per Kwh. It'd be over £300pm for gas alone if we did that amount at 10.3p. Now we'll probably come in just above the national average consumption, which given our starting point I can live with.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5017 on: December 1, 2022, 02:42:29 pm »

Yeah, my shower is leccy, but my cooker & boiler are gas, i live on my own so bit easier kepping everything off, but hoping for a mild winter, you get the odd week in winter were temps are around 0C [37F in old money] & below, but not too much of it.
#Sausages

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5018 on: December 1, 2022, 05:52:56 pm »
;D
I knew you'd be on it Rob. What do you do, stand outside the bathroom with a stopwatch?

In the early days in our current house, before we had log burners put in, we did 36000Kwh one year. It was bad enough at 3.5p per Kwh. It'd be over £300pm for gas alone if we did that amount at 10.3p. Now we'll probably come in just above the national average consumption, which given our starting point I can live with.

Fuck that I stay in bed, its the missus who is one patrol on that one.

It all came from when a fella from Octopus came around with money saving tips and said 4 mins max for a shower, missus went for that. Before that, she'd just moan at me about how long the kids took :butt

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5019 on: December 2, 2022, 02:41:11 pm »
Turning cold, innit?

A block currently over Scandinavia/West Russia is going to split, with one lobe retrogressing westwards toward Greenland (the other lobe sinking ESE'wards toward the '-stan' republics)

The block to out N/NW becomes established and stable. The Jetstream - already looking weak - is displaced well southwards

Likely to be cold and dry in these parts for at least the next week (probably longer), then after that the detail is hard to nail. Still probably cold as we get close the Xmas. Unless some frontal feature pops up (models can't accurately spot these more than a few days out), snow is likely to be confined mostly to the eastern side of the UK along with northern Scotland more generally.

Here's the Met Office update from today:

Wednesday 7 Dec - Friday 16 Dec
There is reasonable confidence that temperatures will remain below average, and it looks like turning even colder from Wednesday. Showers will fall increasingly as snow in the north, even to lower levels at times with notable accumulations over the Scottish mountains. There is a low risk in the far southwest, of a more prolonged spell of rain, which would turn to snow over the moors, but this is far from certain. The best of the clear or sunny spells looks most likely in the west, though this could lead to some hard night frosts. Towards mid-month, the signal for below average temperatures weakens with hints of milder, wetter conditions pushing in from the southwest - though any such features could be preceded by a period of hill snow.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Fri 2 Dec 2022

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5020 on: December 2, 2022, 02:46:37 pm »
Turning cold, innit?
Minus 9 here in daytime. Returning to zero by midweek next week, plenty of snow that will probably turn to rain and create a millimetre layer of ice on top of everything......cancel all my meetings........

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5021 on: December 2, 2022, 02:50:19 pm »
Minus 9 here in daytime. Returning to zero by midweek next week, plenty of snow that will probably turn to rain and create a millimetre layer of ice on top of everything......cancel all my meetings........

It's an unusual set-up. With blocking over the -stans and troughing over the Med, at times it'll pump much milder air your way - but they may well turn out to be glancing blows

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5022 on: December 2, 2022, 02:54:59 pm »
It's an unusual set-up. With blocking over the -stans and troughing over the Med, at times it'll pump much milder air your way - but they may well turn out to be glancing blows
.....moisture plus cold equals baltic - used to it laaaa ;D

PS - in all the years I've been reading these charts, I don't ever recall seeing this on a trough line - any ideas? Does it perhaps mean non-dynamic?
« Last Edit: December 2, 2022, 02:56:35 pm by 24/Swans-a-7ing »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5023 on: December 2, 2022, 03:38:15 pm »
.....moisture plus cold equals baltic - used to it laaaa ;D

PS - in all the years I've been reading these charts, I don't ever recall seeing this on a trough line - any ideas? Does it perhaps mean non-dynamic?

Are you in the "laughing at the UK as it panics about a dusting" crowd yet?  I know a Dane and he finds it hysterical the way we panic while he's flying in and out of airports at -15c and 6ft of snow.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5024 on: December 2, 2022, 04:00:06 pm »

A convergence line. From what i can remember, it's two airmasses forcing PPN-bearing cloud into a band. Or something. Leads to a lot of PPN falling - and, as they're more common in cold flows, means plenty of snow.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5025 on: December 2, 2022, 04:09:30 pm »
A convergence line. From what i can remember, it's two airmasses forcing PPN-bearing cloud into a band. Or something. Leads to a lot of PPN falling - and, as they're more common in cold flows, means plenty of snow.
See, I thought that that's what a normal trough represented anyway - the 'twig' effect is not something I've seen...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5026 on: December 2, 2022, 04:09:46 pm »
Are you in the "laughing at the UK as it panics about a dusting" crowd yet?  I know a Dane and he finds it hysterical the way we panic while he's flying in and out of airports at -15c and 6ft of snow.
Been in that camp since 2003 after moving to Lapland ;D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5027 on: December 2, 2022, 05:01:14 pm »
Been in that camp since 2003 after moving to Lapland ;D

;D

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5028 on: December 2, 2022, 05:46:53 pm »
So are we going to get snow and/or ice here anytime between now and Christmas?

I've got several more journeys across those bastard Pennines to do yet so I could do without bad weather throwing a spanner in.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5029 on: December 2, 2022, 06:12:14 pm »
So are we going to get snow and/or ice here anytime between now and Christmas?

I've got several more journeys across those bastard Pennines to do yet so I could do without bad weather throwing a spanner in.
Probably :wave

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5030 on: December 2, 2022, 06:18:54 pm »
Probably :wave

FFS 😟

I'm not due over there again till the 15th though so maybe it'll be ok by then 😁

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5031 on: December 2, 2022, 06:20:59 pm »
FFS 😟

I'm not due over there again till the 15th though so maybe it'll be ok by then 😁
Maybe ;D :wave

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5032 on: December 2, 2022, 06:39:19 pm »

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5033 on: December 5, 2022, 08:01:17 pm »
Cold snap on the way, sleet & snow forecast for Saturday morning, tomorrow looks like the warmest day for a whilst, with daytime temps of 6C, average night temp is going to be around 0C.
#Sausages

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5034 on: December 5, 2022, 08:23:31 pm »
Oh wow, run this sequence...https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1407150000

...and look, in the last few frames, for the dotted red line and the number '528' along it. That's called a 'partial thickness' line and denotes boundaries between relatively cooler and warmer air masses. The 528 one is nicknamed 'the snow line, with anywhere north of it (and it's more brutal older brother the 510 line) is prone to snow when there's enough moisture around.

I can't recall seeing the 528 line that far south since 2010 when we had snow on Cornish beaches.

Enjoy.  :o

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5035 on: December 5, 2022, 08:39:25 pm »
Behave Jim I can't afford for it to snow, it fucks up all my plans for the run up to Xmas 😟

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5036 on: December 5, 2022, 09:10:08 pm »
Oh wow, run this sequence...https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1407150000

...and look, in the last few frames, for the dotted red line and the number '528' along it. That's called a 'partial thickness' line and denotes boundaries between relatively cooler and warmer air masses. The 528 one is nicknamed 'the snow line, with anywhere north of it (and it's more brutal older brother the 510 line) is prone to snow when there's enough moisture around.

I can't recall seeing the 528 line that far south since 2010 when we had snow on Cornish beaches.

I'm looking forward to it, not had snow for a few years. :)

There isn't much moisture left in the air though, so it doesn't feel like its going to snow to me. Might change in a few days.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5037 on: December 5, 2022, 10:02:06 pm »

There isn't much moisture left in the air though, so it doesn't feel like its going to snow to me. Might change in a few days.

Bollocks to that, the country grinds to a halt when we get 3 flakes and the fuckwit drivers can't cope with a bit of rain, snow will be carnage

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5038 on: December 5, 2022, 10:14:58 pm »

I'm not, energy bills already through the roof, last thing we need right now is a cold snap with sleet & snow. :no
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5039 on: December 5, 2022, 10:26:58 pm »

We've had sub-528dam air several times that far south more recently. The other year it was skimming North Africa (early 2018?)

The air's not actually that cold yet. Weak cold front going to sink southwards Thursday, which will bring colder 850hPa temps - and some patchy precipitation. Will fall as snow in some areas, but there's also a couple of warm sectors in the mix, so not everywhere.

How long this spell lasts is also very up for grabs. There's a tropical depression that's going to mosey into the picture over the next week. Where it dumps its energy will dictate the future of our northern blocking. Ideally (if you like cold and increased chance of snow) you want it to keep in the western Atlantic to advect warm air northwards into the western part of the block to strengthen it. The alternatives are for it to phase into the flabby lows to the south of the block, which would bring it over the UK; or phase eastwards into Iberia/Med/mainland Europe, which would likely inflate pressure over Scandinavia.

Interesting times.