539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440455 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brexit - Pealrlimunt to be prorogued as the pro-rogues try to wreck the UK
« Reply #28240 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45:03 pm »
It's got to the stage now where this government needs to be stopped at all costs.  Whether that's politically or via courts etc, who cares.  As long as they're stopped.  Things have snowballed from the referendum, slowly generally, but gathered some pace since Johnson took May's place.  I posted some weeks ago, not quite tongue-in-cheek, about wondering what life in Germany was like when the nazis came to power.  They effectively rode roughshod over the rule of law until a fascist dictatorship was in place.   Obviously the economic and social situation in Germany then is not comparable to UK now, but politically the situation right now in the UK is frightening.

Johnson is obviously the danger short term - but he may be just a means to an end.  It is the cabal the sits behind him that potentially represents a bigger danger longer term if this isn't stopped.  You get the sense they're waiting quietly in the wings.  Only exposed periodically when the likes of Francois et al feel the need to vent via the media, although him and his ilk appear to have been quieter on this front lately.  Maybe a deliberate ploy, or maybe I've just been fortunate enough to have missed the latest rants.

The referendum arrived on a trojan horse called immigration.  It's evolved now where 'Brexit' is now the trojan horse for a power grab by the far right.  Of course with power comes control over everything including the military. 

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #28241 on: September 11, 2019, 08:47:53 pm »

And Yet, These Same People Will Do Nothing.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit - Operation YellowHammer - Item 15. Things that make you go uhmmm
« Reply #28242 on: September 11, 2019, 08:49:15 pm »
They're not doing it. From the Guardian live blog.

Meanwhile the BBC News channel manages to plumb new depths. They just addressed the Yellowhammer documents with about a minute long discussion of how 'it's a worst case scenario' (it isn't) and concluded that 'nobody knows what's going to happen' (we do). Didn't even mention the failure to comply with the communications release. And are now 5 minutes into a discussion about the latest psychodrama in the Labour party ::)

BBC have genuinely been a disgrace. Too close to that c*nt Robbie Gibb. Also responsible for Frottage.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28243 on: September 11, 2019, 08:57:32 pm »
What’s going on with the personal comms they were supposed to release today?

They aren't

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #28244 on: September 11, 2019, 09:00:28 pm »
Are they trying to make us believe that this is the entirety of the government's planning and forecasting? It's just an (extremely skimpy) executive summary. Where's the detail, links to supporting documentation etc.? I've seen more comprehensive reports about the implications of moving a company department to a different location.

With the changed heading, it all smacks of yet another cover up.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #28245 on: September 11, 2019, 09:05:05 pm »
but we won the war
You and your wife have my thanks xx
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #28247 on: September 11, 2019, 09:10:11 pm »
Bizzie horses walking round town of a quiet Wednesday evening ???

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28250 on: September 11, 2019, 09:16:13 pm »
Are they trying to make us believe that this is the entirety of the government's planning and forecasting? It's just an (extremely skimpy) executive summary. Where's the detail, links to supporting documentation etc.? I've seen more comprehensive reports about the implications of moving a company department to a different location.

With the changed heading, it all smacks of yet another cover up.
Good question,these problems must be based on information.
We know why our ports will face long delays but there are other serious problems that will also result in shortage, road haulage association raised these points with government minister,they were not given any answers.
The Government are covering their backsides, they are saying we are aware of these potential problems but they probably won't happen. we are acting responsible.
Brexit happens and things are worse than predicted,Government will tell us we were of these problems before we had a no deal but nobody believed these problems would actually happen.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Brexit - Operation YellowHammer - Item 15. Things that make you go uhmmm
« Reply #28251 on: September 11, 2019, 09:17:11 pm »
Paragraph 15.

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #28252 on: September 11, 2019, 09:22:10 pm »
Good question,these problems must be based on information.
We know why our ports will face long delays but there are other serious problems that will also result in shortage, road haulage association raised these points with government minister,they were not given any answers.
The Government are covering their backsides, they are saying we are aware of these potential problems but they probably won't happen. we are acting responsible.
Brexit happens and things are worse than predicted,Government will tell us we were of these problems before we had a no deal but nobody believed these problems would actually happen.

This is supposed to be the full extent of their No Deal planning? They're just playing yet more games, putting out the minimum of information with no indication as to what they've based these short assuumptions on. They're just pissing around, potentially with people's lives and certainly their wellbeing, treating us all as gullible fools. Because they can.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28253 on: September 11, 2019, 09:22:11 pm »
They are knowingly destroying the country for their own personal gain, that is treason. Reintroduce the death penalty for it and have a public execution. We can have a bank holiday and stream it on Facebook

I'd be prepared to book a days leave.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28254 on: September 11, 2019, 09:27:59 pm »
Bizzie horses walking round town of a quiet Wednesday evening ???

In a few weeks people might be eating those horses.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28255 on: September 11, 2019, 09:34:13 pm »
This is supposed to be the full extent of their No Deal planning? They're just playing yet more games, putting out the minimum of information with no indication as to what they've based these short assuumptions on. They're just pissing around, potentially with people's lives and certainly their wellbeing, treating us all as gullible fools. Because they can.
There are a few assumptions in Yellow Hammer like possible rioting etc but most of the warnings are based on evidence, as you say they have drawn their conclusions based on this evidence.
Many UK companies have asked for clarity, they have voiced serious concerns raising many serious problems a no deal will bring. many of these companies are being gagged. there voice needs to be heard as well as there concerns are probably in Yellow Hammer
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:36:32 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28256 on: September 11, 2019, 09:37:05 pm »
Brexit is being driven by ideology from the bottom and personal gain exploiting that ideology from the top.  The reality of Brexit is a nightmare compared to a myth, and those at the top don't give a shit.

Things wont kick off until/if it happens.  But should things kick off, the entire government House will have blood on its hands.  Because they know its coming.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28257 on: September 11, 2019, 09:57:32 pm »
And central to the whole problem with Brexit is that despite confirmation from the government itself, Brexiteers will not change their stance. You could tell them that the country will explode if we leave the European Union and they'll stick their fingers in their ears and say "the country voted to leave". They don't fucking listen. They're deluded and they think it will be worth it because we will have blue passports and wonky bananas. Three years on and I still haven't heard a plausible non-racist reason that the average person would want to leave the EU.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:59:26 pm by Clint Eastwood »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28258 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:32 pm »
Brexit: Nigel Frottage election pact proposal rejected by No 10

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson will not make an election pact with Brexit Party leader Nigel Frottage, Downing Street has said.

Mr Frottage said his party and the Conservatives should make a deal and "together we would be unstoppable".

But a senior Conservative source said Mr Frottage was "not a fit and proper person" and "should never be allowed anywhere near government".

Mr Frottage said he was "disappointed" with the response as he was offering a "genuine hand of friendship".

He told the BBC's Andrew Neil show that he did not want a job in the Conservative government and accused the Tories of "petty, tribal, party politics".

"Can't we see that actually if we get a Labour government we're not going to get a meaningful Brexit of any kind at all? This is big chance to unite the Leave vote," he said.

"We've got a solution here."

Mr Frottage has offered a "non-aggression pact" between his party and the Conservatives, on the condition that Mr Johnson sign up for "a clean-break Brexit" - in other words, no deal.

The aim is try to see off the threat from a "Remain alliance" of opposition parties who oppose Brexit and could depose the Tories.

Mr Frottage says he will not field candidates in any of the Conservatives' existing seats and targets if, in return, the Tories stand aside in more than 80 Leave-voting constituencies where they are unlikely to win.

At the weekend, the Brexit Party leader said the offer was "100% sincere" and would help return Mr Johnson to Downing Street.

He wrote in the Sunday Telegraph: "Johnson should cast his mind back to the European elections in May, in which his party came fifth, and ask himself: does he want the Tories to find themselves in a similarly disastrous position when the results of the next general election come in, or does he want to sign a non-aggression pact with me and return to Downing Street?"

When asked about a potential alliance on the Andrew Marr Show, Chancellor Sajid Javid said: "We don't need an electoral alliance with anyone. We can stand on our own two feet, put our message across."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49665789

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28259 on: September 11, 2019, 10:14:15 pm »
Fuck Brexit.  Fuck Farrage.  Fuck the lot of them.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #28260 on: September 11, 2019, 10:17:50 pm »
So just oil, food, petrol, diesel, chemicals, energy, social care, police, hospitals, ambulances, transport, agriculture, fishing, businesses, employees, rioting, strikes, blockades, internal travel, external travel, ports getting blocked, hundreds of miles of queues for months, body bags having to be bought because of gridlock, hundreds of thousands without water and tens of thousands dying then.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #28261 on: September 11, 2019, 10:20:19 pm »
So just oil, food, petrol, diesel, chemicals, energy, social care, police, hospitals, ambulances, transport, agriculture, fishing, businesses, employees, rioting, strikes, blockades, internal travel, external travel, ports getting blocked, hundreds of miles of queues for months, body bags having to be bought because of gridlock, hundreds of thousands without water and tens of thousands dying then.

Apart from that, how was the play, Mrs.Lincoln?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #28262 on: September 11, 2019, 10:20:27 pm »
Interesting. The original title was 'Base case'

Which means that the Government are in contempt of parlament.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28263 on: September 11, 2019, 10:28:22 pm »
That about sums it up.

I'd be wary even if the flip-side of those risks was us relocating to the land of milk and honey five years down the line.  That there is no promised land, just a series of humiliatingly shit trade deals (including, at some point, with the EU) makes it utterly ridiculous that we'd be even considering it.

I await the first commentator labelling it as "Project Fear II" - assuming they've not already done so.  I don't know that there's anything that can snap people out of it now.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #28264 on: September 11, 2019, 10:30:02 pm »

Yeah but we get the arl wooden passports.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #28265 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:51 pm »
Chris Cook, once of Newsnight, has been doing some really good reporting on Brexit. His latest is a fairly long read on polling and volatility which is worth a look: https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/09/11/take-the-coming-election/content.html?sig=htC35KGknwpd0Pj0XxR-lu0adU3_KRvflrnOLNjs3fk

But we have moved into a period of extremely high volatility – and with two highly engaged tribes trying to work out which horse they should be backing. The next election could see unprecedented amounts of tactical voting.

You can see paths for the Conservatives to win, sure. That looks the likeliest outcome. But given the flightiness and ruthlessness of British voters right now, don’t bet on it. Don’t bet on anything.

Factor he doesn't touch in is just how localised these effects can/will (?) be - the two big parties aren't used to elections where the one who wins is the one who loses fewest of what they used to consider their 'core vote'.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #28266 on: September 11, 2019, 10:42:44 pm »
Brexit is being driven by ideology from the bottom and personal gain exploiting that ideology from the top.  The reality of Brexit is a nightmare compared to a myth, and those at the top don't give a shit.

Things wont kick off until/if it happens.  But should things kick off, the entire government House will have blood on its hands.  Because they know its coming.

Those at the top who rarely get badly affected when it all goes wrong have always manipulated and used those at the bottom who have the most to lose. The crazy thing about it is just how easy it is to do, and how blind so many people are to it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #28267 on: September 11, 2019, 10:52:03 pm »
I'm basing it on leavers I come across though, people like my cousin and all his stupid mates, thick c*nts like my Dad and the 11 or 12 HGV drivers I was on an EU invented pointless and expensive Driver CPC course with last weekend, plus every other lorry driver I come across. Too many people, such as Class 1 drivers saw foreign workers have a negative impact on their wages, then add in the £500 we have to pay to keep our CPC cards to allow us to continue to drive and their is a very blinkered view on the EU.

Hope they are looking forward to sitting in their cabs for 2 and a half days each way

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #28268 on: September 11, 2019, 10:55:10 pm »
I am no monarchist but how exactly ? What is she supposed to do ? She is advised by her PM on what to do and it is practice that she accepts that advice. All that has happened is it transpires that the Queen was lied to. I am not sure what else she is supposed to do other than doing some ninja shit on Johnson or ordering one of the guards to shoot him because he was unkempt
Don't even bother making it look like an accident Bond.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28269 on: September 11, 2019, 11:04:01 pm »
I'm basing it on leavers I come across though, people like my cousin and all his stupid mates, thick c*nts like my Dad and the 11 or 12 HGV drivers I was on an EU invented pointless and expensive Driver CPC course with last weekend, plus every other lorry driver I come across. Too many people, such as Class 1 drivers saw foreign workers have a negative impact on their wages, then add in the £500 we have to pay to keep our CPC cards to allow us to continue to drive and their is a very blinkered view on the EU.
Have any of the drivers even talked about EU Permits Rob.
It hardly gets mentioned now and it's a massive concern for Road Haulage and the country.
Only 5% of UK trucks who now enter the EU will be allowed into the EU after Brexit.
We have heard from countries like Turkey who have a CU and they tell us they get nowhere near the actually amount of Permits they want,  the Permits are only valid for 1 truck and run for months,they are all snapped up as soon as they are issued.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #28270 on: September 11, 2019, 11:05:06 pm »
And central to the whole problem with Brexit is that despite confirmation from the government itself, Brexiteers will not change their stance. You could tell them that the country will explode if we leave the European Union and they'll stick their fingers in their ears and say "the country voted to leave". They don't fucking listen. They're deluded and they think it will be worth it because we will have blue passports and wonky bananas. Three years on and I still haven't heard a plausible non-racist reason that the average person would want to leave the EU.

I'm seeing this too. So many people seem to be willing to see the country crash and burn just so they get their Brexit. They just don't seem to care about the consequences at all, just so long as they get their way. What I have always found really weird is Brexiteers have never actually known what they were voting for. When the ballot took place there was a choice between what we already knew (the EU) and something we actually had no idea about. Even now, three years on, there is still squabbling about what 'out' actually entails. Maybe any deal should have been thrashed out beforehand then a vote on it afterwards. Otherwise, how on earth do you know what you are voting for or against?
All I ever hear from people who voted Leave is the 'immigrants and £350m per day to the NHS' mantra/lie. It just seems to come down to ''getting our country back' race, immigration and Nationalism. Basically, it's based in ignorance and prejudice. It can't be much else, because no one on the street seems to even know what the withdrawal deal on the table even involves or means. They certainly didn't vote for it because it wasn't even on the table three years ago.

From what I'm seeing, you are definitely right. If you told them the UK would cease to exist after leaving the EU they'd just say that at least it was ours when it went under. They either don't understand or don't care about the fall-out so long as they get their way, which is even the more crazy when we consider they didn't even know what Brexit would entail when they voted for it because no Brexit deal was even on the table to vote on. All that was voted on was the idea of Brexit, not the reality of it. There is no excuse now though, but far too many people seem hell-bent on putting their hands in the fire even after being informed that it's extremely hot and will most definitely hurt.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28271 on: September 11, 2019, 11:18:31 pm »
Why the fuck is grace blakely on newsnight??

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28272 on: September 11, 2019, 11:23:08 pm »
Why the fuck is grace blakely on newsnight??

Because she is a publicity whore who loves the sound of her own stuck up voice? I would seriously punch that knob right in her face.

Also Matthew Goodwin should drop the impartiality act right now. Everytime he is on he is blaming Remainers and giving Leavers a free ride.

Who knew that a Tory that wrote for the Times had the most accurate analysis.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28273 on: September 11, 2019, 11:29:18 pm »
I'm seeing this too. So many people seem to be willing to see the country crash and burn just so they get their Brexit. They just don't seem to care about the consequences at all, just so long as they get their way. What I have always found really weird is Brexiteers have never actually known what they were voting for. When the ballot took place there was a choice between what we already knew (the EU) and something we actually had no idea about. Even now, three years on, there is still squabbling about what 'out' actually entails. Maybe any deal should have been thrashed out beforehand then a vote on it afterwards. Otherwise, how on earth do you know what you are voting for or against?
All I ever hear from people who voted Leave is the 'immigrants and £350m per day to the NHS' mantra/lie. It just seems to come down to ''getting our country back' race, immigration and Nationalism. Basically, it's based in ignorance and prejudice. It can't be much else, because no one on the street seems to even know what the withdrawal deal on the table even involves or means. They certainly didn't vote for it because it wasn't even on the table three years ago.

From what I'm seeing, you are definitely right. If you told them the UK would cease to exist after leaving the EU they'd just say that at least it was ours when it went under. They either don't understand or don't care about the fall-out so long as they get their way, which is even the more crazy when we consider they didn't even know what Brexit would entail when they voted for it because no Brexit deal was even on the table to vote on. All that was voted on was the idea of Brexit, not the reality of it. There is no excuse now though, but far too many people seem hell-bent on putting their hands in the fire even after being informed that it's extremely hot and will most definitely hurt.

I think there has been analysis showing a lot of leave voters feel that things can't get worse for them. We've had austerity for god knows how long while the bankers still pick up stupefying bonuses. They've been whipped into a vote for change ( see also the BBC article why George Soros is being treated as public enemy number one). There's a belief that even if things do get worse then the ruling classes will suffer more.  I'm not sure racism is a main driver as much as xenophobia.  Frottage and his followers got brexiteers to win the referendum coming from being a 100/1 shot. I don't think people are ready to let go of that for benefits they can't see. Or for the promises that project fear concoct. And for many they don't feel the downsides affect them. Queues at ports, so what? Lack of skilled labour, doesn't affect me. Even I personally find it hard to believe that essential medicines won't get through.  I forsee there being difficulty with food but not a huge shock. I guess we have had it cushy for a long time and there hasn't been a real disaster to show how much things could get fucked up. To my poor memory, the real events have been that failure of two power generators. Foot and mouth disease, the volcano cancelling flights. Maybe the beast from the east. All of which were problematic, but dealt with reasonably comfortably. The expectation is we do so again. From the remain point of view, even if the disruption were guaranteed to be minimal there seems to be no reason to do it.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28274 on: September 11, 2019, 11:30:38 pm »
(Semi-)serious question: what is/was your Gran like? I don't propose to attempt psychoanalyse you, but FFS. Is it just old people you hate, or is it everyone?

One gran is french and lives in the south of France. She thinks England and the English are mental.

The other gran wanted to vote Leave but said she voted Remain because we were all passionate about it. I dont believe her.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28275 on: September 11, 2019, 11:37:47 pm »
One gran is french and lives in the south of France. She thinks England and the English are mental.

The other gran wanted to vote Leave but said she voted Remain because we were all passionate about it. I dont believe her.
You know you have just bought yourself as custom title pointing out you are part French right?

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28276 on: September 11, 2019, 11:43:48 pm »
Yeah leave voters fell for a lot of bulls,, and it wasn't actually about leaving the EU they told us, it was about feeling neglected by our politicians, how are politicians have ignored them and left these areas to stagnate.many were told they have nothing to loose so why not vote Brexit, things can't get worse after all, who made these arguments,?  the RIGHT WING TOLD THEM.the dickeheads fell for it hook line and sinker, even now they argue stop calling us stupid, we know what we voted for, we voted to leave the EU.
They have argued they are being ignored by our politicians and they took their anger out on the only people who have tried to improve their lives, The EU, subsidies for all the deprived areas of the UK.
Don't call them stupid though.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28277 on: September 11, 2019, 11:45:53 pm »
Yeah leave voters fell for a lot of bulls,, and it wasn't actually about leaving the EU they told us, it was about feeling neglected by our politicians, how are politicians have ignored them and left these areas to stagnate.many were told they have nothing to loose so why not vote Brexit, things can't get worse after all, who made these arguments,?  the RIGHT WING TOLD THEM.the dickeheads fell for it hook line and sinker, even now they argue stop calling us stupid, we know what we voted for, we voted to leave the EU.
They have argued they are being ignored by our politicians and they took their anger out on the only people who have tried to improve their lives, The EU, subsidies for all the deprived areas of the UK.
Don't call them stupid though.
If remain are to win at the ballot box, they have to learn to not try to argue with idiots.

--edit-- fwiw I think getting some famous, trusted names wheeled out saying vote remain is important. Maybe hosts of strictly or bake off.  The managers of some football clubs. Alan sugars or Bransons ( though I think sugar may be a leave voter, not sure). Anyone from downtown abbey !
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:49:05 pm by PaulF »

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #28278 on: September 11, 2019, 11:47:29 pm »
I think there has been analysis showing a lot of leave voters feel that things can't get worse for them. We've had austerity for god knows how long while the bankers still pick up stupefying bonuses. They've been whipped into a vote for change ( see also the BBC article why George Soros is being treated as public enemy number one). There's a belief that even if things do get worse then the ruling classes will suffer more.  I'm not sure racism is a main driver as much as xenophobia. Frottage and his followers got brexiteers to win the referendum coming from being a 100/1 shot. I don't think people are ready to let go of that for benefits they can't see. Or for the promises that project fear concoct. And for many they don't feel the downsides affect them. Queues at ports, so what? Lack of skilled labour, doesn't affect me. Even I personally find it hard to believe that essential medicines won't get through.  I forsee there being difficulty with food but not a huge shock. I guess we have had it cushy for a long time and there hasn't been a real disaster to show how much things could get fucked up. To my poor memory, the real events have been that failure of two power generators. Foot and mouth disease, the volcano cancelling flights. Maybe the beast from the east. All of which were problematic, but dealt with reasonably comfortably. The expectation is we do so again. From the remain point of view, even if the disruption were guaranteed to be minimal there seems to be no reason to do it.

I suspect a large number of Leave voters have taken the view, “I rarely if ever vote. And when I do, my vote is ignored - for three years!”  So when Johnson comes along telling them they’ve been robbed, they lap it up.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #28279 on: September 11, 2019, 11:49:36 pm »
I'm going to go against the grain a bit here and say that Labour are probably doing the right thing here in going for a choice between a deal or remain, rather than just putting their hat on remain.

Don't worry, there will be enough young voters and northern tits like me who voted to leave, but have been educated and have long since seen sense.

Some will however still want to be given the choice. People don't like to be dictated to and want to make their own minds up.

They say an election will be decided in the northern heartlands. Working class people don't easily forget Thatcher and now they are being faced with a lying far right tory government again.  In fact this one is worse. i don't think Labour will necessary win an election outright, but do think they will do a lot better than is predicted in the polls.

I've never liked Corbyn, but as things stand I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Yes he could and should have done a lot, lot more to curb antisemitism within the Labour party and yes has kept poor company in the past, but I just cling to the hope that  there are enough good people within the Labour party to reign him in and with age comes wisdom and with responsibilty also.

We all make mistakes in life and politics has been fucked in this country for years.

Time for a change, but as far as us staying in the EU.

If it's not broken don't try and fix it ffs.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:51:22 pm by RF »