Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 951706 times)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Welcome Darwin Núñez !!!
« Reply #2440 on: October 1, 2022, 10:03:50 pm »
After his performance today it wouldn't surprise me if we do a Robbie Keane with him.

He came on in the 89th minute.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2441 on: October 1, 2022, 10:04:04 pm »
After his performance today it wouldn't surprise me if we do a Robbie Keane with him.

A hint of sarcasm maybe? 🤣

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2442 on: October 1, 2022, 10:10:20 pm »
If our transfer team believe he is good enough, then he is good enough. He may of not started well but he will come good, because we dont sign dud players.

It could harm us in the short term but we need as many good players for the long term as possible.

The guy driving our transfer team has left. He notoriously didn't sign from Portugal after the Markovic flop, so I don't think we can rely on past performance of the strategy as an indicator going forward

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2443 on: October 1, 2022, 10:11:03 pm »

Dyou think Benfica would have him back? Doubtful
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2444 on: October 1, 2022, 10:11:55 pm »
Dyou think Benfica would have him back? Doubtful
Loan with an option to buy in the summer for whatever we can get.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2445 on: October 1, 2022, 10:14:01 pm »
The guy driving our transfer team has left. He notoriously didn't sign from Portugal after the Markovic flop, so I don't think we can rely on past performance of the strategy as an indicator going forward

We signed Diaz and he has done well. Also Edwards didnt sign players on his own, he had a team working for him.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2446 on: October 1, 2022, 10:31:17 pm »
The Klopp bedding players in slowly thing is a bit of a myth.
It's not a myth; what's a myth is that the same thing applies to every player. It doesn't. Some need bedding in slowly; some don't. There's no one-size-fits all answer.  That so many have been able to start straight away testifies to the skill of those doing the recruiting:the very ones you're questioning over Darwin

Another myth is this obsession that the cost of a player is in any way meaningful. A player's cost is only tangentially related to his ability, worth to the squad or place in the squad. Cost has much more to do with the state of the market at that exact time, the selling club's demands, how flush we are feeling, how much other players have gone for around that time, whether we have just sold a key player (i.e Mané in this case) and much more.

Darwin's cost is nothing to do with him

EDIT: Here's what Klopp said after signing Diaz and being questioned on why he played straight away:

Klopp added: “Our transfers have to hit the ground [running] because we can’t make a £40m or £50m signing and say that if they are not playing then that is not important. As we say in Germany, it is not that we swim in money. It’s a wealthy club, there are no problems here, but the policy is clear: we spend what we earn. It is very important that we have to do absolutely the right thing.”
Nice try but his point here was about our need for financial prudence and need to buy 'the right player', not any old joe who happens to be available, and how each player needs to work out; we can't just take punts and say 'it doesn't matter' if they fail. In other words he is specifically, if obliquely, commenting on the way certain other teams can operate but we can't.

And if anything it supports the notion that they wouldn't have bought Darwin unless they were sure he would work out. So have some patience.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #2447 on: October 1, 2022, 11:11:12 pm »
I find it unbelievable that with such little playing time “fans” are questioning whether we can flog the player!  Nunez will be a star - give him a run of games and you will see!  He has hardly played for goodness sake!

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2448 on: October 1, 2022, 11:24:43 pm »
If he is earmarked as a "star" then we need to embed him as quickly as possible.

It's not as if results and performances without him are leading to good things so we may aswell give him every chance to settle in.

I have doubts about if Klopp ever even wanted him though. He's the polar opposite to everything weve done the last six years. He's a Conte/Mourinho striker more than a Klopp/Pep one.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2449 on: October 1, 2022, 11:25:13 pm »
What was his xG?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2450 on: October 2, 2022, 12:03:22 am »
If he is earmarked as a "star" then we need to embed him as quickly as possible.
Lol, What is this shite? We don't 'earmark' players as 'stars' we buy players whom the manager and recruitment team think are the right ones to implement the manager's plans. You seem to be lost within the pages of Hello magazine.

I have doubts about if Klopp ever even wanted him though. He's the polar opposite to everything weve done the last six years. He's a Conte/Mourinho striker more than a Klopp/Pep one.
Now you're just making things up.

Are you really that incapable of dealing with adversity?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2451 on: October 2, 2022, 12:08:26 am »
Can’t we all just wait until he gets a run of games together before we judge him? Can’t we just get behind the lad. He needs minutes. He’s came into a (bizarrely) struggling team. Rival fans are taking the absolute piss out of him even though he’s barely played. Don’t give a fuck about what other teams fan say, we need to get behind him. That’s what we do with players, we take to them and they take to us.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2452 on: October 2, 2022, 12:08:49 am »
Lol, What is this shite? We don't 'earmark' players as 'stars' we buy players whom the manager and recruitment team think are the right ones to implement the manager's plans. You seem to be lost within the pages of Hello magazine.
Now you're just making things up.

Are you really that incapable of dealing with adversity?

They openly state they want us bought by an Oil State so we can buy our way to trophy's, so they can see us win regardless of the circumstances. So yes, yes they are.

I'll give them credit, they are at least honest about wanting that, unlike other people who want it but are too afraid to admit it

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2453 on: October 2, 2022, 12:09:42 am »
Can’t we all just wait until he gets a run of games together before we judge him? Can’t we just get behind the lad. He needs minutes. He’s came into a (bizarrely) struggling team. Rival fans are taking the absolute piss out of him even though he’s barely played.

No.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2454 on: October 2, 2022, 12:11:54 am »
They openly state they want us bought by an Oil State so we can buy our way to trophy's, so they can see us win regardless of the circumstances. So yes, yes they are.

I'll give them credit, they are at least honest about wanting that, unlike other people who want it but are too afraid to admit it
Yes fair point. I suspect the calls will get louder over time, esp after Klopp leaves.

Football is about good times and bad times - at least when you are normally run club and not a state plaything. And the bad times often reveal more about us than the good.

Triumph and disaster -imposters both...

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2455 on: October 2, 2022, 01:50:11 am »
Nunez is about the only forward in Europe who gets into good positions anywhere near haaland and is in the ball park of accuracy with his strikes as haaland. He is not as finished an article as haaland and for him to bed in at our team will take more learning and adaptation than it does for haaland where city has modified their way of playing to accommodate his singular abilities to give him the final ball. He is scoring a lot more also because other city players are scoring less than they would have. But to miss seeing nunez's virtues at this early stage is to give up prematurely - once he gets into the groove he will easily score more than 20 goals a season.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 01:52:11 am by ThePoolMan »

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2456 on: October 2, 2022, 02:23:12 am »
I don't think he's gonna stay with us next season if he keeps being 3rd choice to Firmino and Jota.

>:( >:(

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2457 on: October 2, 2022, 05:54:59 am »
Please don't do a Andy Carroll, just don't...
Believer

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2458 on: October 2, 2022, 06:28:47 am »
My worry is that he is even getting targeted by the officials after that ridiculous free kick given against him when he went to press the defender

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2459 on: October 2, 2022, 07:49:10 am »
Please don't do a Andy Carroll, just don't...

It's posts like this which remind me why I stopped coming on here after a disappointing result.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2460 on: October 2, 2022, 07:55:18 am »
People need to calm down. I’m sure he’ll be ok for us eventually. Weird game yesterday so when should he have come on? Getting Diaz in at half time was absolutely the right move. Then Bobby scored twice. Could arguably have come on instead of Jota but can see why Jota got the nod first. Then at 3-2 you’re not going to throw him on. Could arguably have come in a couple of minutes earlier at 3-3 but that’s just splitting hairs.

Who cares what rival fans are saying at this stage. I’m sure he’ll get chances soon and just takes a goal or two to get a run going. That red card against Palace is so frustrating because having scored against City and then on his League debut he looked set to kick on from there and that killed all momentum. Now with the whole team looking a bit disfunctional it’s much harder for him to just slot in.

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2461 on: October 2, 2022, 08:07:47 am »
There is so much shit wrote about this kid, both by opposition fans and tabloids - but also in here.

Bellends who are writing him off, silly irrelevant Andy Carroll comparisons, stupid edited videos. Christ all mighty! Give the lad a chance! A sustained run of games, the time to build up a rapport with the rest of the team. 20, 30 games down the line then opinions on his ability and suitability to the team can then be made.

I was told yesterday that he has a goal every 86 minutes for us (not sure if true) let that sink in for the idiots who are writing him off.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2462 on: October 2, 2022, 08:19:48 am »
Poor fella was sent on at 3-3

Hasn't had the minutes yet and he hasn't had the team around him either.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #2463 on: October 2, 2022, 08:24:54 am »
Nunez CAN be like Andy Carroll for me before the season breaks.. 2 goals in a win v man city, a last minute winning goal in a key game, a last minute winner in a cup game.. yep ill have some of that, all done by Carroll as well.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2464 on: October 2, 2022, 08:43:04 am »
If we do start to use him then I'd like to see our full backs put measured crosses in. More clipped in floating balls than whipped in efforts, we are used to crossing a certain way because we don't have that aerial threat but you just need to put it in an area and I think he'll do the rest, certainly he'll make a nuisance of himself.

I don't care if people compare him to Andy Carroll, he could of been good but didn't apply himself both on and off this pitch. Darwin needs the right application, he has a lot of the right attributes, pace, strength, heading ability.

Equally he has weaknesses, inconsistent first touch, how he copes with pressure. That's what he's shown in his limited appearances and I don't think that's unfair because he's shown both strength and weaknesses. I think he'll adapt for sure and deal with the pressure better, sometimes players just aren't as gifted technically than others, look at Hendo compared to Thiago, that's just the reality but doesn't mean they can't be a key player.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2465 on: October 2, 2022, 09:20:31 am »
Nunez CAN be like Andy Carroll for me before the season breaks.. 2 goals in a win v man city, a last minute winning goal in a key game, a last minute winner in a cup game.. yep ill have some of that, all done by Carroll as well.

I think it is selling him short to compare him to Andy Carroll. Nunez has a genuine predators instinct that is rarely seen. How often he is exactly where he needs to be and how accurate is his final shot usually. That is what we are paying for in addition to his obvious athletic gifts.

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #2466 on: October 2, 2022, 10:56:09 am »
I genuinely think he's a top striker. What's missing is some creativity and supply surrounding him right now. Klopp needs to also give him some proper minutes.
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline Furmeeno

• Main Stander
« Reply #2467 on: October 2, 2022, 11:03:46 am »
I genuinely think he's a top striker. What's missing is some creativity and supply surrounding him right now. Klopp needs to also give him some proper minutes.

I would take it a step further and say that it’s almost irrelevant at this point whether he’s a top striker, we don’t have the personnel or system to make proper use of him. Right now he looks like a donkey because instead of making runs behind a stretched defense or finishing some beautifully worked end product like Haaland is able to do he’s forced to try to take on two or more defenders who are dropping back while our midfield plays in the mud. Very bizarre signing.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 11:06:42 am by Furmeeno »

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2468 on: October 2, 2022, 11:05:26 am »
If we put half decent balls in the box, 9/10 he would get on the end of it and score. He’s pacey and his movement will get him on the end of anything half decent. Need to adapt our style of play though.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2469 on: October 2, 2022, 11:12:46 am »
Nunez is not our biggest issue at the moment.

The state of some on here.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2470 on: October 2, 2022, 11:13:03 am »
If we put half decent balls in the box, 9/10 he would get on the end of it and score. He’s pacey and his movement will get him on the end of anything half decent. Need to adapt our style of play though.

Precisely. He showed exactly how easy he made it look when he scored Uruguay's goal from suarez's inch perfect floated cross.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 11:26:05 am by ThePoolMan »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2471 on: October 2, 2022, 11:14:10 am »
Precisely. He showed exactly how easy he made it look when he scored Uruguay's goal from surrey's inch perfect floated cross.

So we change the way we play significantly, for a striker who is finding his feet, when scoring goals isnt an issue?

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2472 on: October 2, 2022, 11:27:35 am »
So we change the way we play significantly, for a striker who is finding his feet, when scoring goals isnt an issue?

We signed a true centreforward. Of course we have to change the way we play to accommodate him. Expecting him to play like mane and still do his job to score goals would be unwise. Even city totally rejigged rhe way they attack to accommodate haaland - so why should it be any different for us?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2473 on: October 2, 2022, 11:29:30 am »
Is crossing the ball that significant a change? Robbo and Trent get a majority of their assists doing precisely that.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2474 on: October 2, 2022, 11:29:52 am »
We signed a true centreforward. Of course we have to change the way we play to accommodate him. Expecting him to play like mane and still do his job to score goals would be unwise. Even city totally rejigged rhe way they attack to accommodate haaland - so why should it be any different for us?

But we have an excellent forward in Jota who knows how to play our system. Why is there some rush to integrate a player in an area of the pitch where we are ok and have options?

To me it feels like the criticism is making fans impatient and want to rush him into proving he was worth the money. We have many issues at the moment, the last thing we need is to try a project in attack.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2475 on: October 2, 2022, 11:30:34 am »
But we have an excellent forward in Jota who knows how to play our system. Why is there some rush to integrate a player in an area of the pitch where we are ok and have options?

To me it feels like the criticism is making fans impatient and want to rush him into proving he was worth the money. We have many issues at the moment, the last thing we need is to try a project in attack.

Exactly.

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2476 on: October 2, 2022, 11:34:48 am »

Well it seems like we are back to 17/18 where we knew 99% of the time we would concede goals every game but we just outscored the opponent.

It’s not really significantly changing, our full backs are known for whipping in crosses. They’ve stopped doing that.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 11:41:22 am by RedBec1993 »

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2477 on: October 2, 2022, 11:36:35 am »
Precisely. He showed exactly how easy he made it look when he scored Uruguay's goal from suarez's inch perfect floated cross.

Exactly this. We have players capable of putting in them type of crosses. He will outjump and out strength most defenders. He seems a player who thrives off those type of balls.

Offline Furmeeno

• Main Stander
« Reply #2478 on: October 2, 2022, 11:36:35 am »
It’s not fair to criticize Darwin for his fee. He’s allowed to be anywhere from good to world class and should be judged on that without criticism. That said, of course it’s relevant to bring up his fee from an opportunity cost perspective and be critical of the club. We have a budget, spending £80m whatever on a “good” striker that doesnt fit our system while the team has other glaring needs is asinine.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2479 on: October 2, 2022, 11:47:22 am »

The longer we leave him out of the team the longer it will take to bed him jn and the bigger the knock on his confidence. We potentially broke our transfer record for him and he is certainly meant to be the no 1 centreforward and the focal point of our attack.  So let's start using him to do just that - if we cannot be secure at the back due to the weakness of our midfield, compromising our attack isn't going to help us win either.