Author Topic: Just a general point (or query)...  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
Just a general point (or query)...
« on: April 24, 2005, 11:43:47 pm »
...and I know I'm going to regret posting this

BUT

Is it really neccesary to lock threads that break no rules, are in the right forum, and the only crimes said threads have committed to is not being of interest to a paticular moderator?

I know the job is far from easy and I'm as much of a twat as the next man but if threads were left open (as long as they broke no rules) and left to run there natural course rather than being cut down mid way through it may cut down on a lot of the work you have to do.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Just a general point (or query)...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 11:45:28 pm »
Well, normally they get locked because they go against the posting guidelines - have you got an example of one that hasn't?

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 11:47:17 pm »
Have to say I second that. Ive had a couple of threads locked that had not technically broken the rules as well! ;)

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:49:37 pm »
How about you tell us what thread you're talking about, it does help.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 11:50:04 pm »
This is why I knew I was going to regret it.

The Craig Bellamy post in the General for example. It didn't, on a glance, break any rules, and It doesn't really interest me as a topic so I didn't post in it but I can see why people wanted to discuss it.

It's not an attack on the mod who locked it (it just hapens to be the handiest example at the moment).

It's something I've noticed over the past month or so.

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 11:52:05 pm »
This is why I knew I was going to regret it.

The Craig Bellamy post in the General for example. It didn't, on a glance, break any rules, and It doesn't really interest me as a topic so I didn't post in it but I can see why people wanted to discuss it.

It's not an attack on the mod who locked it (it just hapens to be the handiest example at the moment).

It's something I've noticed over the past month or so.

That was my one. Thanks for bringing that up, I was curious as well to know why it was locked
Though the source was the News of the World, the Scum's sunday paper
That behind it maybe? ;)

Offline Martin

• Legacy Fan
  • 15/05/05 - ''You have done well for us lad...''
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 11:56:47 pm »
No flamin bloody rules broken in my very descent an deserving thread neither! :no I'll 4th that...(Chris: watch your back...)
Da lassa 39 angeli con lo sguardo fiero. Tifate con noi siete, l'orgoglio del popolo bianco nero...
From lapse 39 angels with the proud look. You be a fan with those yourselves, the pride of the white and black people...
Quello che c'è in fondo al cuore non muore mai...
That which is deep in the heart will never die...

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 11:58:29 pm »
No flamin bloody rules broken in my very descent an deserving thread neither! :no I'll 4th that...(Chris: watch your back...)

Feedback is not for general chat - RAWK rules  ;D
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 11:59:36 pm »
 ;D

Offline Martin

• Legacy Fan
  • 15/05/05 - ''You have done well for us lad...''
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 12:01:48 am »
Feedback is not for general chat - RAWK rules  ;D
:o Oooo the exact same thing you wrote back in your PM msg! lol
Da lassa 39 angeli con lo sguardo fiero. Tifate con noi siete, l'orgoglio del popolo bianco nero...
From lapse 39 angels with the proud look. You be a fan with those yourselves, the pride of the white and black people...
Quello che c'è in fondo al cuore non muore mai...
That which is deep in the heart will never die...

Pheeny

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 09:24:20 am »
I locked that as it was a crap thread.If you want a childish forum I'm sure thete are plenty out there.

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:54:22 am »
And that is why I didn't want to single out any one thread.

Pheeny, it wasn't a pop at you just a general point and since they asked for an example that was the most convenient.

Pheeny

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 09:59:39 am »
Threads are sometimes locked as they are going nowhere or can be seen to be heading for a slagging match.Sometimes we clean them up but as we all have livings to earn that can be a bit difficult so we just delete the thread.Thats Life...

hoonin

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 10:50:41 am »
Locking of threads is something we have actively done since the inception of the site. Its nothing new.....

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 11:09:58 am »
I know.

Just seems more active recently with threads locked based on the persons mood at the time or whether they are interested in discussing it or not regardless of whether other people are.

Ultimately it's your decision, I understand that, and the issue isn't with the locking of threads that break rules.

It's the locking of threads that are in the right place, haven't broken rules and mods have just decided they can't be bothered with or they don't deem worthy of discussion. I would have thought that increases the chances of similar threads popping up and then being locked again because people want to discuss it but aren't being given the oppertunity.

WOuldn't allowing some threads to die naturally after being discussed to death (and within guidelines) save some of the work you have to do?

Pheeny

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 11:13:46 am »
I cab see your point but if we did that this place would be full of crap threads and it end up like .tv was.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 11:38:19 am »
WOuldn't allowing some threads to die naturally after being discussed to death (and within guidelines) save some of the work you have to do?

If a thread is locked because its just of a poor standard, as opposed to actually contravening any of the guidelines then there will always be those who disagree, as its very much a matter of judgement.  Also we're all human and will make mistakes. 

What is really needed however is less threads - even on these boards there are far too many imo - people should really think long and hard before starting a new one, because each pushes another off the 1st page - the only one most people look at.  If we can lock off really crao ones it does at least offer the better quality threads space to thrive.  Therefore hopefully improving the overall quality of the forum.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 11:54:52 am »
Moderating RAWK is a lot like keeping roses.

You have to prune some of the new shoots to ensure that the best ones remain healthy.

Our guests are like visitors to a garden; they come and visit, stay for a while, add to the ambience. Some return over and over again and add to the beautiful vista that we are creating.

However, some of the threads are virtual leaf mould. Some of the posters are like virtual greenfly. Some of the users are like virtual the Mancs. A few users are similar to the worms that keep the soil full of nutrients for the new blooms to flourish. A good gardener can recognise these things, and take the necessary action to look after the garden as a whole.

Sometimes a healthy shoot may need to be pruned, sometimes the gardener may cut too hastily, or cut too deep, but the garden will still grow.

The Mods are the loving and caring gardeners that keep RAWK blooming.

So deal with it.  :wave
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 12:38:04 pm by MichaelA »

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 12:08:24 pm »
My preferred modus operandum is to delete shite threads rather than to lock. You should see the quality of the recycle bin as a result ;)
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 12:09:49 pm »
My preferred modus operandum is to delete shite threads rather than to lock. You should see the quality of the recycle bin as a result ;)

You can always measure the talent of a head gardener by the quality of his compost.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 12:38:22 pm »
I'm assuming the automatic spellchecker kicked in on that last one? :D

;D

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 12:52:41 pm »
I locked that as it was a crap thread.If you want a childish forum I'm sure thete are plenty out there.

Matter of opinion, and as it was a news item and a subject of controversy, a worthwhile discussion topic :)

Discussion topic may have 'digressed' a little, but no real need to make that remark >:(

May have run it's course however, so ok, not totally unreasonable to lock it 8)

Just wanted a reasonable explanation without aspersions being cast, and here they were given in the end :)

Just thought I'd mention it!

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47:19 pm »
Point taken.

Cheers